Harry Giles article: By, Harry Giles

Those are the things that I wanted to remind fans of. Giles had the handles of a sg/sf. He had a variety of post moves and could finish with either hand. Some of his passing ability is also on display in these videos. And did anyone notice his very effective jump shot?
Thank you! Everything in those highlights show he's the complete package. Handles the ball like a guard. Plays aggressive defense. Post moves and a nice looking jumper. I want to temper my expectations, but hey, it's a new season (for the Kings). If we can project out on the incoming class, then why not for Giles. The kid looks like the real deal.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Those are the things that I wanted to remind fans of. Giles had the handles of a sg/sf. He had a variety of post moves and could finish with either hand. Some of his passing ability is also on display in these videos. And did anyone notice his very effective jump shot?
If he really does have the handles of a small forward, then he might actually be the Kings' small forward going forward. (His outside shooting proficiency would be a question mark I guess). It's already been stated that he has elite NBA lateral quickness for a small forward. If that's the case, then why not small forward?

P.S. I am very curious how strong he currently is. He's had a full year to entirely focus on getting stronger, while not having to be interrupted in the strengthening process by the 82 game season. I would have to believe that he is very ready for the physicallity of the NBA game at this point.

If he really does have the handles of a small forward, then he might actually be the Kings' small forward going forward. (His outside shooting proficiency would be a question mark I guess). It's already been stated that he has elite NBA lateral quickness for a small forward. If that's the case, then why not small forward?

P.S. I am very curious how strong he currently is. He's had a full year to entirely focus on getting stronger, while not having to be interrupted in the strengthening process by the 82 game season. I would have to believe that he is very ready for the physicallity of the NBA game at this point.
A 6'11" SF. Boy, that would be amazing.

For comparison, some of the other SFs in the league are James (6'8), Durant (6'9), Porter (6'8), Tatum (6'8). The closest comp I can think of would be Odom (6'10). During that period, teams used to worry about their length with Odom, Pau, and Bynum. Of course it takes lot more than just length, but sounds so juicy.

As to strength, let's see. He is listed at 240 lb, which is the same as Durant. Seems to be carrying no fat, which should suggest lot of muscle and strength. How he manages in real game situation, we can only speculate.

That said, I doubt this can be a long term solution. He needs to improve his outside shot to begin with. However, it might work in short bursts, particularly when the opposing team has a big SF (KD).

For comparison, some of the other SFs in the league are James (6'8), Durant (6'9), Porter (6'8), Tatum (6'8). The closest comp I can think of would be Odom (6'10). During that period, teams used to worry about their length with Odom, Pau, and Bynum. Of course it takes lot more than just length, but sounds so juicy.

As to strength, let's see. He is listed at 240 lb, which is the same as Durant. Seems to be carrying no fat, which should suggest lot of muscle and strength. How he manages in real game situation, we can only speculate.

That said, I doubt this can be a long term solution. He needs to improve his outside shot to begin with. However, it might work in short bursts, particularly when the opposing team has a big SF (KD).
You forgot Kevin Garnett who started his career at SF. He always wanted to be listed at 6'11 instead of 7'0 because he didn't want to play center.

I really hate to pop your guys optimistic bubble..but this was against highschoolers.. he wasn't able to get away with this kinda stuff in the U19 games or any other events.

Pre-injuy, Harry was quick, but not SF quick.

KD is taller than Boogie and it isn't even close but i get your point.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I really hate to pop your guys optimistic bubble..but this was against highschoolers.. he wasn't able to get away with this kinda stuff in the U19 games or any other events.

Yep. Just because a guy may be fast enough to play some SF doesn't mean he should be a SF. Harry was athletic (I mean, really really athletic) for a big which is what made people consider him a better prospect than KAT at one point in time. Turning your athletic beast PF into a tall, kinda-fast SF defeats the point. (This is also the second year in a row we've had this same discussion as last year people were convinced Skal could play the 3 for some reason)

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Offensively? Or defensively? It's already been "proved" by experts in sports medicine that he does have elite lateral quickness for defense. Do you mean beating people off the dribble?

Just curious, for all of those who covet Giles as our future franchise player and CWebb 2.0, what type of production do you expect him to have in his rookie year? What would be a successful season to you?

It would have to be something along the lines of 15ppg 8rp 2apg right?
Would love to see Tatum's(14pt 5rb 2as) numbers from this year maybe with one or two rebounds

Offensively? Or defensively? It's already been "proved" by experts in sports medicine that he does have elite lateral quickness for defense. Do you mean beating people off the dribble?
I'm a big proponent of playing these guys where they have an advantage. He could have a huge quickness advantage at the 5 and still be strong enough to cover most centers. If you put him at SF, maybe he can guard SFs but now he's a below average ball handler and shooter.

Kinda like Bogdan at the 2. He's a full sized 2 with a huge wingspan. You put him at the 3 and now he's undersized with an average wingspan.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The way the NBA is going....Giles is a 5 not a 3. We got Koufos for the big centers, Giles and WCS who can play 4 and 5, Skla actually might be more of a 5 if he puts on some weight and we have the right guys surrounding him and are playing another team that is going small.

Potentially, we have the pick getting another big in Ayton or Bagley. What this team needs besides more talent in general are some guys who can swing between the 4 and 3. Doncic and Porter are those guys.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm a big proponent of playing these guys where they have an advantage. He could have a huge quickness advantage at the 5 and still be strong enough to cover most centers. If you put him at SF, maybe he can guard SFs but now he's a below average ball handler and shooter.

Kinda like Bogdan at the 2. He's a full sized 2 with a huge wingspan. You put him at the 3 and now he's undersized with an average wingspan.
I hear you. At this point I'm playing around with thinking about him because I haven't seen him on the court in an NBA uniform. I'm very intrigued by a guy with purported elite small forward quickness who is 6'11". At the least he should be very good in guarding smaller players on switches. That's what one would think, anyway. I'm looking forward to summer league when the two unknowns - our #1 pick and Giles - can compete against the other high #1s in the draft. It could be very revealing.

Last edited:
Yep. Just because a guy may be fast enough to play some SF doesn't mean he should be a SF. Harry was athletic (I mean, really really athletic) for a big which is what made people consider him a better prospect than KAT at one point in time. Turning your athletic beast PF into a tall, kinda-fast SF defeats the point. (This is also the second year in a row we've had this same discussion as last year people were convinced Skal could play the 3 for some reason)
Yeah, and it almost seems like he should be exploiting PFs with his quickness.

I hear you. At this point I'm playing around with thinking about him because I haven't seen him on the court in an NBA uniform. I'm very intrigued by a guy with purported elite small forward quickness who is 6'11". At the least he should be very good in guarding smaller players on switches. That's what one would think, anyway. I'm looking forward to summer league when the two unknowns - our #1 pick and Giles - can compete against the other high #1s in the draft. It could be very revealing.
Yeah and that's my thing. He can have the advantage at his position and then be perfectly capable of staying in front of his man on switches. His ball handling and cross overs in his high school high light reels look really good but his dribble is way too loose to be doing that against smaller players. He should theoretically be able to take guys his size off the bounce and use those moves on them but he wouldn't be able to get away with that out on the wing. If he can eventually develop into a stretch big man who can be a big target in the pick and roll, show some post moves once in a while, knock down the 3 and be a competent defender on switches, he will be a very valuable player for us. That's basically what people want out of Jaren Jackson Jr and many of these other high lottery big men. We might already have that on the roster.

I never understood that with Skal. Heck he cant even play the 4. He is a modern 5 who is too skiny.

:)

I was trying to focus on the successful ones. That said, there was a time when I was really really hopeful for Donte, and was hoping he'll turn into a stud. Unfortunately, it never worked out.

Ive seen a lot of talk on here lately about Giles. Many seem to think that he is destined to be a monster. While I hope this is the case I really havent seen anything that gives merit to the idea that Giles is going to crush in the NBA. Prove me wrong?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive seen a lot of talk on here lately about Giles. Many seem to think that he is destined to be a monster. While I hope this is the case I really havent seen anything that gives merit to the idea that Giles is going to crush in the NBA. Prove me wrong?
Destined is overstating it. IF Giles can stay healthy, he has flashed a lot if potential and skill. If he recaptures his athleticism then he could be something in the NBA.

And while ACL injuries are more serious than herniated discs, I have to say that Giles always jumps off the screen more (to me anyway) in his HS footage than Michael Porter Jr ever has.

Last edited:
While I hope this is the case I really havent seen anything that gives merit to the idea that Giles is going to crush in the NBA. Prove me wrong?
None of us have. We're merely taking the word of numerous Kings staff, media, and players that have been watching him workout and practice the past year.

That's all we've got to go on.

Destined is overstating it. IF Giles can stay healthy, he has flashes a lot if potential.

And while ACL injuries are more serious than herniated discs, I have to say that Giles always jumps off the screen more (to me anyway) in his HS footage than Michael Porter Jr ever has.
You could make Ben McLemore look good in a highlight video with a bunch of cool dunks and step back jumpers but that move at 2:50 is just absolutely insane for a guy Giles' size. You can't edit that into a highlight package and I'd be willing to bet that the amount of players at his size that can do that couldn't even be counted on one hand.

I'm just hoping with all the rehab that he's closer to that than the way he moved at Duke because it was a night and day difference. He moved like a young Chris Webber in high school. If he can't get back to where he used to be 100% then I'm hoping he at least has pre injury Chris Webber Sacramento mobility.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He was the #1 rated guy in his draft class at several points and a couple of scouts said that they though he'd be a better NBA player than KAT.

This is all preinjury of course but if Harry can recapture even a fraction of his pre-injury glory, he's golden.

I'm excited about Giles. I've been wondering if someone like Kanter would be a good tandem with Giles. Not getting ahead of myself, we'll see how healthy he is soon enough.