Harrison Barnes Likely to Receive $88 mill over 4 Years

So rosier just got almost 20 mil a year and Rudy Gay got 16 mil a year. I think Barnes at 21 is right in line.
Insanity is high with Rosier and Gay at 20 and 16. Wow. Some teams are headed for the dumpster. And ppl complain about vlade. Yikes

Is Ernie Grunfield consulting these teams?

Eh, the declining doesn't do anything to help improve the team now though. It makes it a little easier on Viveks pocket book down the line but not much else. If he thinks he's going to compete with ownership groups like they have out west without breaking the bank he might be sorely mistaken.
It's a re-sign, it was never about improving but just about keeping his talent. The declining just adds a little financial flexibility later when Buddy, Fox, and Bagley need to be paid.

So what free agent SF could the Kings have gotten to make them better?
Who said anything about that? I wanted Barnes here via trade and knew they had to re-sign him. I'm saying the more money they have NOW the better they can position themselves via a potential trade this year.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Insanity is high with Rosier and Gay at 20 and 16. Wow. Some teams are headed for the dumpster. And ppl complain about vlade. Yikes

Is Ernie Grunfield consulting these teams?
It’s just the market. I think some people are still stuck in mindset of 3-4 years ago. Contracts have drastically change the last 2 years. A legit 5-6 year starter is gonna get 20 mil

Entity

Hall of Famer
Who said anything about that? I wanted Barnes here via trade and knew they had to re-sign him. I'm saying the more money they have NOW the better they can position themselves via a potential trade this year.
I’m not sure trading is in the plans. I think we are happy with what we have. Fox, buddy, Barnes, Bagley, Giles, bogi, Dedmon. Who would you trade in an upgrade attempt?

I’m not sure trading is in the plans. I think we are happy with what we have. Fox, buddy, Barnes, Bagley, Giles, bogi, Dedmon. Who would you trade in an upgrade attempt?

Who did they trade to get Barnes? The space is the key. That space could also be used to pick up future picks so it doesn't have to be a player per se. Like the draft, Vlade needs to start using his assets wisely. Over the next few years that cap is going to start getting more and more restricted. In looking at it, if the Kings are a bit frugal they might have room to make a splash in two years when they have to re-sign Fox. I guess it depends on what happens to Bogdan and Buddy.

Eh, the declining doesn't do anything to help improve the team now though. It makes it a little easier on Viveks pocket book down the line but not much else. If he thinks he's going to compete with ownership groups like they have out west without breaking the bank he might be sorely mistaken.
So you would prefer they pay him more?

So you would prefer they pay him more?
If it were me and it's about the totality of the deal rather than how it's dispersed I would have just kept it standard and held onto the few million now in case a deal came along via salary dump. Maybe Vlade has some big deal lined up already and it doesn't matter though. We'll find out.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If it were me and it's about the totality of the deal rather than how it's dispersed I would have just kept it standard and held onto the few million now in case a deal came along via salary dump. Maybe Vlade has some big deal lined up already and it doesn't matter though. We'll find out.
We could sign another 20 mil player then the MLE on a 9 mil. I don’t think we will. I think we will get Joseph at 8-9 mil a year then a backup SF around the same maybe a touch higher. Both 2 year deals.

We could sign another 20 mil player then the MLE on a 9 mil. I don’t think we will. I think we will get Joseph at 8-9 mil a year then a backup SF around the same maybe a touch higher. Both 2 year deals.

See, those are stopgap type moves that bog down your cap when you could possibly be a player at the deadline. If another journyman type of the difference between you getting where you want to be and not there will be ways to correct that during the year most likely. The journeymen fit better than when they signed Hill and Zbo but it's all the same. If they didn't still have Bjelica who was that same type of signing last year on the team then it would be more plausible but it's much better to sit around that 25 million under than 10-12 under. Totally different bargaining positions.

Entity

Hall of Famer
For some reason I feel a 2nd round pick maybe 2 for PJ Tucker. If Houston really wants to shed salary. That would be perfect for us it would be 2 years 18 mil.

Entity

Hall of Famer
See, those are stopgap type moves that bog down your cap when you could possibly be a player at the deadline. If another journyman type of the difference between you getting where you want to be and not there will be ways to correct that during the year most likely. The journeymen fit better than when they signed Hill and Zbo but it's all the same. If they didn't still have Bjelica who was that same type of signing last year on the team then it would be more plausible but it's much better to sit around that 25 million under than 10-12 under. Totally different bargaining positions.
Well the salary floor makes you be at the 10-12 under mark. It’s at 98 mil

For some reason I feel a 2nd round pick maybe 2 for PJ Tucker. If Houston really wants to shed salary. That would be perfect for us it would be 2 years 18 mil.
That would another one of the few deals worth giving up that space for. Defensive difference makers at PG and combo F will move the needle.

Entity

Hall of Famer
They did the same thing last year. They got to the salary floor largely by landing Barnes for little to nothing.
I guess you and I are just seeing eye to eye on is needing a bench player in the middle of the year to put us over the top. But we will have an ender with Bjelica. So we could absorb a 17 mil contract mid season with a trade of Bjelica

I initially thought Barnes had plans to sign elsewhere but was obviously wrong. I have been lukewarm on bringing him back on a 80+ million dollar deal but considering the crazy contracts doled out to other wings and decreasing yearly salary on his deal I feel fairly satisfied.