Harrison Barnes is opting out

I saw something yesterday about the Kings taking on Hayward and a Boston first rounder. Not sure who would go back on a trade like that. Wouldn't mind a first round pick.

I think this is a logical reason for him opting out. I think Vlade had allude to wanting to re-work a longer term deal with Barnes before.

Something like a 4 year/$80 million contract may get both sides a fair deal.

Basically, we get Barnes next year at a discounted rate of $20 million, instead of $25 million. That $5 million savings spread over the next 3 years of the contract, it would be like the Kings got Barnes for $25 million year one , and $18.33 million per year for years 2 to 4.

The Kings saved some cap space this year and locked up Barnes for 4 years. Barnes gets the security of a long term contract and he gives up a little bit this year.
Except I think that's too much for Barnes (the longer contract). Barnes rebounding and passing are average and his defense is a bit better than average.. Give a longer contract for less - 5/72 with good/fair incentives.

I think something in the $18M per for 4yrs (Total $72/4rs) would probably land him. I think he is looking for long term security. He has played in relative obscurity since leaving GSW and i doubt that helps him much on the contract scene. He is one of the better SF in the league and is a reasonably good 2 way player. He is quite literally the only person remotely available to the kings who can guard players like Durant and LeBron. I think people here are underestimating his value on the team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Without naming any names, I have to admit some of the comments in this thread made me smile. Opting out doesn't mean he's headed for the airport. I strongly suspect Vlade already has a plan in the works to keep him on the Kings and that Barnes and his agent will work with him. He's happy here, we're happy with him and we can make him - as others have indicated - a very lucrative long-term offer.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think this is a logical reason for him opting out. I think Vlade had allude to wanting to re-work a longer term deal with Barnes before.

Something like a 4 year/$80 million contract may get both sides a fair deal.

Basically, we get Barnes next year at a discounted rate of $20 million, instead of $25 million. That $5 million savings spread over the next 3 years of the contract, it would be like the Kings got Barnes for $25 million year one (original contract), and $18.33 million per year for years 2 to 4.

The Kings saved some cap space this year and locked up Barnes for 4 years. Barnes gets the security of a long term contract and he gives up a little bit this year.
I'm not the biggest Barnes fan, I will admit that much. Him getting a 80 million dollar deal just doesn't look good in my opinion. He is a super role player and the Kings haven't even had an established star player they can say for certain they are building around so to fork out that much for Barnes, I'd much rather Vlade throw that money in Harris' direction.

Without naming any names, I have to admit some of the comments in this thread made me smile. Opting out doesn't mean he's headed for the airport. I strongly suspect Vlade already has a plan in the works to keep him on the Kings and that Barnes and his agent will work with him. He's happy here, we're happy with him and we can make him - as others have indicated - a very lucrative long-term offer.

It’s an odd move unless the King’s have assured him an over pay. Why leave a bunch of money on the table when you could get just as big of a payday next year? Why commit earlier than necessary to a franchise you have limited connection to? Sure there is a risk of injury I suppose. If he does intend to sign I imagine we will know the minute free agency begins.

I suspect this is to sign on for the long term deal at a lesser per year amount.

I would be tempted though in placing a call to Kawhi's camp just to get an idea if there is even the slightest of chances. If there is, go all out to get him.

I think what will happen is that Barnes will sign a longer term deal at less money per season with the Kings which frees up more cap space to address other roster needs.

For the CBA gurus out there:
1. Do we have the bird rights with Barnes (i.e. can we go over the cap to re-sign him)
2. If so, what would be the cap hold on Barnes.

What I am trying to figure out is whether Barnes opting out, and eventually renouncing the rights to WCS clears up enough cap space for the Kings to have a true max room plus some to sign someone before re-signing Barnes to a long term deal?

Entity

Hall of Famer
It’s an odd move unless the King’s have assured him an over pay. Why leave a bunch of money on the table when you could get just as big of a payday next year? Why commit earlier than necessary to a franchise you have limited connection to? Sure there is a risk of injury I suppose. If he does intend to sign I imagine we will know the minute free agency begins.
KD, cousins, Klay opened some eyes. Players want to make sure they can make 60-80 over 4 years vs 25-30 mil for one year and have an injury in which they never get anything over 10 a year

the 80 Mil offer for 4 yrs is the same as 25,18.3.18.3,18.3

We save 5 mil cap this year
Vucevic for 35 per year? too much
Horford 4 yr 25 yr , Yes Please, Free willy
Beverly 12 mil yr

Fox,Beverly 6.4, 12
Buddy,Bogie 4.9,8.5
Barnes 20
Marv,Bjelly,Sannigan 8.6,6.8,2.0
Horford.Giles 25, 2.6
Dead Money 2.1

10 players , 99 mil

Brewer,Mason,3-2nd picks sg,sf,c with 10mil cap space

Beverly 12 mil yr

Fox,Beverly 6.4, 12
Buddy,Bogie 4.9,8.5
Barnes 20
Horford.Giles 25, 2.6
Dead Money 2.1

10 players , 99 mil

Horford will be too old when our rookie contracts are due.

The advantage of Vuc is we could sign him on a second contract and go over the cap later. Same for Dedmon + younger others.

Nothing Vlade can do if Vivek will not be willing to pay luxury later though with regards to that.

That's a big consideration.

Vuc would at most cost 31. something million via pay scale in the first year. I broke that down on one of the threads what it would cost to max him but forgot where.

Gotta keep that in mind. Cause we will have trouble going over the cap later.

KD, cousins, Klay opened some eyes. Players want to make sure they can make 60-80 over 4 years vs 25-30 mil for one year and have an injury in which they never get anything over 10 a year
This is it I think - are players paid the same when injured in a longterm contract, or is there some insurance? I think the team is on the hook (recall Webber).

Not a fan of Barnes. He's very average. Hood and Oubre could probably do the same things at half the cost.
The only reason he's overrated in Sac? Team has not had a decent SF since Gay.

Let's see what his real value is across the league. He's opted out. I am yet to read that first news flash that says a team in the league is going to pay him 20 mil a year. Get back to me, when that happens.

Beverly 12 mil yr

Fox,Beverly 6.4, 12
Buddy,Bogie 4.9,8.5
Barnes 20
Horford.Giles 25, 2.6
Dead Money 2.1

10 players , 99 mil

Too much for Horford at his age - 4 or 5 years ago, maybe. Maybe a 2/39. He was 14 ppg and 7 rpg last year in 68 games -injuries?, Now Vucevic in the high teens/low 20s,, yes - very good player with an uptick last year & 4 +years younger.

I doubt he re-signs with us. What I got out of it is that he's gone. The warriors with Durant out need a SF. They will probably offer him a 2 year deal with an opt out clause if he blows up this year without Durant on the floor. I assume he's going to play the one year in GS and be one of the main scorers and then get paid next year. Anyhow, I doubt we'll keep him. I give it a 5% chance.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I doubt he re-signs with us. What I got out of it is that he's gone. The warriors with Durant out need a SF. They will probably offer him a 2 year deal with an opt out clause if he blows up this year without Durant on the floor. I assume he's going to play the one year in GS and be one of the main scorers and then get paid next year. Anyhow, I doubt we'll keep him. I give it a 5% chance.
With what money will the Warriors sign him? They’re capped out once Klay resigns, and Barnes isn’t signing a one-year MLE.

Where do GSW get the money to sign Barnes unless of course he is willing to sign for MLE which would be dumb?

That's enough money to trade for Andre Drummond.
Cauley-Stein plus picks for Drummond
Sign Tobias Harris (played with Drummond's in Detroit)
Sign Shumpert back
Sign Cameron Payne

C - Drummond/Giles
PF - Bagley/Bjelica
SF - Harris/Shumpert (against small ball lineup)
SG - Buddy/Bogie
PG - Fox/Payne

Entity

Hall of Famer
Not a fan of Barnes. He's very average. Hood and Oubre could probably do the same things at half the cost.
The only reason he's overrated in Sac? Team has not had a decent SF since Gay.

Let's see what his real value is across the league. He's opted out. I am yet to read that first news flash that says a team in the league is going to pay him 20 mil a year. Get back to me, when that happens.
He is probably worth 15 mil a year to any team. He knows that. So we sign him 18.5 mil a year for 4 years. He saves is 7.5 mil this year and we pay it back over the next 3. He gets 4 years of assurance. May be structured differently. Either way 4 years 70-75 a year

Too much for Horford at his age - 4 or 5 years ago, maybe. Maybe a 2/39. He was 14 ppg and 7 rpg last year in 68 games -injuries?, Now Vucevic in the high teens/low 20s,, yes - very good player with an uptick last year & 4 +years younger.
You are not getting Horford for 2 years, if that was the case he could have stayed with Celtics for 30 mil
If you could get Vucevic in high teens/low 20's sign me up !!!! but aint gonna happen!

maybe 3 years 28,26,24 for Horford

Otherwise might as well go after Dedmond

With what money will the Warriors sign him? They’re capped out once Klay resigns, and Barnes isn’t signing a one-year MLE.
You never know.. A ton of players have done this.. Sign the MLE after turning down a 1 year deal for a lot of money in order to get paid the following year (after being in a situation where he could put up a ton of points). With us he was the 3rd/4th option.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You never know.. A ton of players have done this.. Sign the MLE after turning down a 1 year deal for a lot of money in order to get paid the following year (after being in a situation where he could put up a ton of points). With us he was the 3rd/4th option.
A ton of players? Maybe a handful. You're grasping at straws. Barnes doesn't need to do that. He's gonna get paid from the Kings. Vlade worked too hard to get him to let him just stroll away.

Where do GSW get the money to sign Barnes unless of course he is willing to sign for MLE which would be dumb?
Other players have done this very thing. If he were in golden state he would probably be the second option. Just saw someone else had put GS up there and thought to myself it would be a good destination if he wants to play a lot in an attempt to get paid next year. Nothing more. I just "have a feeling" on this one. Nothing more, and I do hope that I am wrong!

A ton of players? Maybe a handful. You're grasping at straws. Barnes doesn't need to do that. He's gonna get paid from the Kings. Vlade worked too hard to get him to let him just stroll away.
You would be surprised. Not all of them tossing away as much as Barnes is but players always turn down more money for a prime situation where they could get paid next year. It's not grasping because it happens every year with at least a couple players. Maybe a "ton" was a bit much but every year we see a couple players doing this if there are too many good FAs out there on any given offseason.

Let me throw this out there.. I do NOT want Barnes to leave, and I hope we re-sign him. I just have a bad feeling about it. You can view my prev posts. I want WCS and Barnes to stay because I feel they were getting pretty good together towards the end of the season.

Other players have done this very thing. If he were in golden state he would probably be the second option. Just saw someone else had put GS up there and thought to myself it would be a good destination if he wants to play a lot in an attempt to get paid next year. Nothing more. I just "have a feeling" on this one. Nothing more, and I do hope that I am wrong!
Other players have done it under the following scenarios:
- Coming back from a serious injury (ala Cousins and to lesser extent Rudy Gay with SA)
- Could not get a long term deal they liked so they signed up with a team to show their stuff (ala Randle and Lopez last year). Neither opted out of the deal to become FAs.
- Player who want a ring and will take a pay cut (West)

Barnes does not fit into 2 of those categories and maybe even 3. He is not coming off a serious injury, he will be offered a long term deal by at least one team (Kings) and he already has a ring and even with him there, I am not sure that GSW are a sure thing for the championship next year.

The circumstances are different to Barnes. He walked away from $25m by opting out only to sign for MLE with the Warriors? I am not sure that has EVER happened and if it did, I would be certain the agent got the sack after that.

Barnes is in a very different spot than you think. He had sure money there and a lot of money. He opted out of that and the only logical conclusion is that he is after a long term deal (especially seeing what happened with the Warriors in the play offs and Cousins last year). You are one injury away from not getting the money you want (see Cousins who will not get a max deal even this off-season). If anything, players would have seen that and gone, I wouldn't mind some long term stability here even if its for less money per season.

You are not getting Horford for 2 years, if that was the case he could have stayed with Celtics for 30 mil
If you could get Vucevic in high teens/low 20's sign me up !!!! but aint gonna happen!

maybe 3 years 28,26,24 for Horford

Otherwise might as well go after Dedmond
Dedmon is a good choice, but it doesn't really matter much about Vuc and the big bucks. You go over the cap later, unless you foot the luxury tax bill. What matters about Vuc is questionable fit and lack of depth beyond him.

With Dedmon we should have quite of bit of side show loot.