Haley (2/20): Boozer will be a Laker.

On Fox Sports West (Southern California Sports Report). Exact quotes from Haley:

"Well I have breaking news for the LA Lakers. Last night I reported the Lakers were close to making a trade, tonight I'm telling you that trade is going to go down. The Utah Jazz and the LA Lakers have come to an agreement on a trade. The Lakers giving up Vlade Divac, Caron Butler and Devean George. Utah giving back power forward Carlos Boozer. It's a big trade for the LA Lakers. What's holding it up? League approval.* You won't hear about it for the next 24 hours, but as soon as it's approved...believe me, Carlos Boozer will be an LA Laker.

Another trade I talked about last night is dead. The Lakers will not be dealing with the Sacramento Kings, they will not be sending Lamar Odom up to Sacramento for Peja Stojakovic and Bobby Jackson...but one thing is for sure, the next 24 to 48 hours, you will be seeing Carlos Boozer in the purple and gold."

* caveat

I'll say it again...Boozer may be underperforming in the eyes of the Jazz, but to trade him for such castoffs as Divac and George is downright ludicrous, to say nothing of the fact that they aren't getting a player back that can play PF, and they don't really have another player on their roster who fits that mold (unless Okur is moving over there and they are going to trot out Curtis Borchardt every night for 35 minutes at C).

Has Mitch been getting lessons from Petrie or something?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Maybe this is the kind of drivile sports writers submit to their editors just before deadline so that they can keep their jobs and not have to deal with anoying details such as fact checking?

All sorts of conflicting info! Guess we'll just have to wait. Really just seems like an absurd trade from the Jazz perspective though :shrug:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
83 hours and 46 minutes...and counting.

Laker fans seem to be really buying into the Boozer for Vlade, George and Butler scenario. We'll know before too long but I'm not ready to buy into it despite the Laker fan enthusiasm ... of course it could be that I really hate to see Laker fans happy about anything, too.

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gargamel said:
The Jazz GM also admits to having lunch with Kupchak and Boozer was in Los Angeles last night (at Staples Center for an HBO boxing event) and Boozer didn't play the last game for Utah. Things that make you go hmm...
WHAT would Boozer not playing in the last Utah game have to do with anything?

Webber was in Detroit, too, before he resigned with us. Remember when EVERYONE said it was a done deal?

Quite frankly, at this point I'm not going to believe any rumors. Give me the done-deal announcement or nothing.

:D

Variant said:
My guess is that if Vlade really was traded, he'd just retire right away. He wouldn't want to move to Utah.
I'm guessing that the Jazz will buy out his contract ($2M buyout) and Vlade will resign with the Lakers. Of course, I'm assuming his back has healed well since the surgery, who knows how he has progressed since then.

VF21 said:
WHAT would Boozer not playing in the last Utah game have to do with anything?
Frequently happens before a player gets traded. I'm gonna shut up before you paint me into a corner and this trade falls thru and I look like an asscactus. :eek:

KA_2 said:
I'm guessing that the Jazz will buy out his contract ($2M buyout) and Vlade will resign with the Lakers. Of course, I'm assuming his back has healed well since the surgery, who knows how he has progressed since then.
If this trade is legit, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers pay his buyout. Mitch would have some testicles not to offer to do so.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gargamel said:
Frequently happens before a player gets traded. I'm gonna shut up before you paint me into a corner and this trade falls thru and I look like an asscactus. :eek:
Um, asscactus? that's a pretty interesting visual image I've got now, Gargy old man. ;)

Anyway, don't they only have the players sit out - a la Cuttino And Bradley - if the trade is eminent and coming down within a few hours? Haven't the Jazz been off like every other team for the All-Star break?

Having a guy sit out for a trade that still hasn't concluded 4 days after the fact seems just a tad excessive to me.

Asscactus, huh...

I found this just for you:

It's a BLOOMING asscactus. ;)

VF21 said:
Having a guy sit out for a trade that still hasn't concluded 4 days after the fact seems just a tad excessive to me.
Probably. He had a knick-knack injury in the previous, previous game so maybe that ain't as suspicious as it sounds.

Asscactus, huh...

I found this just for you:

It's a BLOOMING asscactus. ;)
I hate when they bloom. Mighty painful.

Why would Utah trade Boozer for those guys? It doesn't make any sense at all. Do you suppose that Boozer has demanded a trade? Is Salt lake City too great a culture shock for Boozer?

This doesn't make sense, and since the trade-concept seems to have come from La La Land, I am very suspect of its voracity.

wow...Lakers are really moving before the trade deadline.

If the trade went down for Peja and Bobby... they probably would have a good team:

PG - Bobby Jackson
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Peja Stojakovic
PF - Carlos Boozer
C - Chris Mihm

That team is not bad.... Lakers can only wish......hopefully

GO KINGS!

The Laker regulars on another board who I have to admit have been failry accurate in the past are saying this is a done deal.

Vlade/Butler/George for Boozer awaiting league approval.

KA_2 said:
Good old Vlade, so accomadating.

G_M said:
The Laker regulars on another board who I have to admit have been failry accurate in the past are saying this is a done deal.

Vlade/Butler/George for Boozer awaiting league approval.
Is the league office even open today???

Ryle said:
Is the league office even open today???
I don't believe.

-----------

Also for those that believe that trade won't happen since the Jazz deny it;

From the same newspaper January 13th:
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600104469,00.html

"We've had no substantive conversations with anybody about trading Carlos Arroyo," said Kevin O'Connor, senior vice president of basketball operations for the 13-24 Jazz.

Asked if he had engaged in substantive conversations with the Pistons regarding Arroyo, O'Connor's response was curt: "Nothing."

piksi

Hall of Famer
Kingsgurl said:
Good old Vlade, so accomadating.
As much as I love Vlade - If You go to Lakers by Your own free will - You deserve everything that happens to You (except injuries). Should have retired last summer

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And there it is again!

Vlade is supposed to just roll over and play dead so the Lakers organization can make a blockbuster deal...AGAIN.

And the Lakers fans have no problem in tossing Vlade out with yesterday's garbage and expecting him to fully appreciate the honor of being treated like crap so they can get better.

What I really, really, really like is the one guy who thinks the Jazz will buy out Vlade's contract so he can RE-SIGN with the Lakers.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and just call me asscactus.

71 hours and 6 minutes...