[GSW/DAL] "We're going to go like hell."

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Man, and having seen Baron in college before his knee injury, I saw him dunk nearly from the free throw line in a game, in traffic. He could have been one of the greats, but hey -- this is a pretty solid consolation.

Well, I think that is really where the Nellie factor is the biggest. Like Rick with Webb or Artest last year, like Phil when he took over an out of shape Shaq -- the veteran coach comes in and reaches the super talented underacheiving star, and it makes all the difference.

Just think about the ways Dallas has been ousted in the last two years...just brutal.

But it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys...;)

Well, I think that is really where the Nellie factor is the biggest. Like Rick with Webb or Artest last year, like Phil when he took over an out of shape Shaq -- the veteran coach comes in and reaches the super talented underacheiving star, and it makes all the difference.
I think your selling the rest of the team short. They played good enough defense on Dirk to shellshock him. Jackson, Richardson, Barnes all played well in spots.

I don't see how Baron is an elite player even despite this win, unless he starts dominating in the regular season. He is an elite calibur PG, but not really on the level of Wade, Lebron, Duncan, :):gulp:: Dirk:: ::gulp:: -- well bad example).

But seriously. If the Golden State Warriors lose, and Baron stays healthy and puts up the same regular season #'s, can you really call him elite?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Who woulda thunk it?

A # 8 seed beats a # 1 seed in 6 and the #1 seed not only has 67 wins, but they have the league MVP. THAT is why you play the games.

Maybe you could say Baron is the modern day Isiah. An elite calibur talent and player at his position, who steps up in the big games. Capable of carrying a team in any game. But a consistent elite player in the regular season AND playoffs?

This team could, and I mean COULD, conceivably make it to the WCF. They get Houston or Utah in the next round...certainly beatable.

How entertaining would a PHX / GS conference finals be???

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
But seriously. If the Golden State Warriors lose, and Baron stays healthy and puts up the same regular season #'s, can you really call him elite?
Not a numbers issue -- when Baron plays like he is capable of, he is that unstoppable force. That straw who stirs the drink. Everyone else on the floor is better for his presence, everyone feeds off his confidence. And the other team has to change its entire game because of his presence.

Last edited:
This team could, and I mean COULD, conceivably make it to the WCF. They get Houston or Utah in the next round...certainly beatable.

How entertaining would a PHX / GS conference finals be???

It's possible but I'd put my money on the other two teams. The Warriors match up well with Dallas, but they get eaten up by teams with a post presence something both Houston and Utah have.

I have a question, do you think with all the energy and excitement the team and fans put into this series, that round two will end up being an eventual let down?

I mean they are acting like they are about to win the championship when this may just be fools gold.

I have a question, do you think with all the energy and excitement the team and fans put into this series, that round two will end up being an eventual let down?

I mean they are acting like they are about to win the championship when this may just be fools gold.
No way...they deserve this. Let 'em celebrate!

but they've already accomplished so much. they deserve it

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Of course they're excited. They look like the Kings fans the first time the Kings made it out of the first round.

They're just happy to be playing in May. I hope they enjoy every single minute of the ride. It ends all too soon...

This is just amazing.

I don't think we'll ever see anything like this again in our lifetimes. A 67 win team, a # 1 seed, a 7 game series losing to a team who had to win their last game of the season in order to get into the playoffs. Not to take anything away from GS, but Dallas should be ashamed. Absolutely ashamed.

No way...they deserve this. Let 'em celebrate!

I am not saying they don't deserve this, but rather that maybe they deserve more, I'd hate to see them settle for this when in reality they could very well make it all the way to the WC finals the way things have panned out.

piksi

Hall of Famer
To be fair - Dallas managed to win one game more than they actually should have in this series

Maybe Heat and Mavs can meat somwhere in vacation to settle the score. That should have enough time for it

Now am I correct in understanding/remembering that it now reverts to regular season records for HCA ?

In other words GS will start on road with Utah or Houston ?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am not saying they don't deserve this, but rather that maybe they deserve more, I'd hate to see them settle for this when in reality they could very well make it all the way to the WC finals the way things have panned out.
I HOPE they're enjoying each step and not even remotely thinking about "settling" for anything.

One step at a time, one game at a time...for as long as it lasts.