Group Stage playoffs

Here's the link:

Seems like an interesting idea to incorporate for the COVID-19 affected NBA season. I always get a kick out of this system when watching the World Cup (I believe they use the group stages for the Euros, as well). It would allow the teams with the best records to keep a distinct advantage by being the top team in their respective group and it would include the bubble teams.

Thoughts?

I like it. I expect the top teams to balk, but perhaps adding the wrinkle of letting the top four pick their groups (in a parallel to the tweaks to the all star format) could assuage them some, along with using regular season records as a tiebreaker. The group selection could be a TV event in itself, and I think if they're worried about ratings draw, this format would draw more eyeballs than a rump remainder of a regular season, and would provide more games and generate more interest than going straight into a traditional playoffs based on current records.

Selfishly, I think the Kings could sneak up on some teams in this format as well. The young legs should be ready to hit the ground running!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Seems like a real tough sell for the top teams.

Typically, the Bucks would have to go at least 4-3 against a #8 seed to move into the "top 8", while the Kings, if they snuck into the playoffs, would have to go at least 4-3 against a #1 seed - that's the bonus that the Bucks get for doing great in the regular season.

Under this format, the Kings and the Bucks would have nearly the same road - The Kings would play 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, (average = 2.5, instead of 1) and the Bucks would play 5, 5, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4 (average 3.5, instead of 5). Or, to look at it another way, instead of getting a big (relative) advantage in 100% of their games in the first round, the Bucks would only get that advantage in 25% of the games. And not only that, but it's possible for three different teams in a group to go 6-2, so one of those teams would miss the next round on a tiebreaker. Yikes!

I mean, from a selfish point of view, this would be GREAT for the Kings. But it would a be a boon we can't claim to have earned.

It’s a great idea. I should be stunned Eastern Conference owners are against it. Heaven forbid EC NBA owners stop being a group of anti-progress freeloaders. I’m sure a one-time pandemic solution will massively erode their position of maintaining a goldbrick paved path to mediocrity and playoff lucre.

I like it. I expect the top teams to balk, but perhaps adding the wrinkle of letting the top four pick their groups (in a parallel to the tweaks to the all star format) could assuage them some, along with using regular season records as a tiebreaker. The group selection could be a TV event in itself, and I think if they're worried about ratings draw, this format would draw more eyeballs than a rump remainder of a regular season, and would provide more games and generate more interest than going straight into a traditional playoffs based on current records.

Selfishly, I think the Kings could sneak up on some teams in this format as well. The young legs should be ready to hit the ground running!
completely agreed!!

I get tv contracts and hey there's not much programming happening right now, but holy hell I've lost all interest in most sports right now. I'm not even sure what's more dopey, the thought of full stadiums and arenas or the thought of playing to empties. I may be in the minority? I'm not sure. I'm really checked out.

I think a playin tournament between West 9-12th seed, 2 of 3 games for 9/12th and 10/11
Winners play 3 games to determine who play 3 games with Memphis
the 4 bubble teams play 2-8 games to make playoffs
Other 15 teams keep playoff seedings so no dis advantage to them
Its all about giving the bubble teams who would loose their chance to get to playoffs due to short reg season
Teams that are already done stay home, only adds 4 teams to the team total

Yes as a Kings fan I would love to get 8 1st round playoff games to watch in a group stage
but as a 9-12th bubble seed team I just need to feel we got a chance to advance

This would be the most fun time for me as a Kings fan. Highest stakes basketball for us in 14 years. I am definitely in favor of this format.

Besides the fact it would break our Playoff drought (with an asterisk), ut would be very entertaining to watch all the groups. Sounds like a lot of good games and intense basketball to be played.

But back to the original topic... Although I am a fan of the group concept, John Hollinger did point out a potential weakness in his piece today in The Athletic (link). Once teams are mathematically eliminated, he suggests that they may not continue to mount a competitive effort, which could skew the results. Unlike the World Cup, where national pride is on the line, there's no incentive to motivate teams to keep fighting once eliminated in group play. Unless, of course, the league can come up with something creative. Here's hoping they do!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
You know what, it was a mistake to think some could control themselves. Let's get back to the topic at hand. I've nuked all the posts addressing COVID-19. And I'm not about to go back and be "surgical" about it. I don't have the time or the patience right now.

great idea... group stage draw is always a exciting moment alone...

now question is, final group standings will affect draft and lottery or not? better not, because of the tanking...

This should be fun! All the Vets will be rested and have a spring in their step. Injuries hopefully all healed.

The Kings were playing good defense when the stoppage occurred. If they come out shooting the ball well anything could happen!

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
great idea... group stage draw is always a exciting moment alone...

now question is, final group standings will affect draft and lottery or not? better not, because of the tanking...
The bottom four teams in the lottery have very little chance of moving up anyway, though it has increased with the new lotto to something like a 9% chance of moving up for the 11th team. Still, my guess would be that if they do the group stage, that the teams invited will be excluded from the lottery.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The bottom four teams in the lottery have very little chance of moving up anyway, though it has increased with the new lotto to something like a 9% chance of moving up for the 11th team. Still, my guess would be that if they do the group stage, that the teams invited will be excluded from the lottery.
If there ever were a year to be excluded from the draft lottery on a technicality, this would be the one. With the lack of March Madness building up someone's hype this year, the entire draft class seems to be completely mired in mediocrity.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
If there ever were a year to be excluded from the draft lottery on a technicality, this would be the one. With the lack of March Madness building up someone's hype this year, the entire draft class seems to be completely mired in mediocrity.
True, true. If you ask me, the only guy I'll be sorry about missing in the expected top-5 or so is Deni Avdija. Maybe Obi Toppin, but he might fall due to his age. I feel like the bigs in this draft are being undervalued, and the teams that come away with Isaiah Stewart, Vernon Carey, Jalen Smith, and Alexej Pokusevski are going to feel like winners.

On a somewhat related note, I love the idea of encouraging the other teams to sit in the stands during the games when they're not playing. Maybe even have some players mic'ed up or do interviews?