• 1/8 vs. Warriors

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Never! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Lawson and Tolliver are key......but Collison needs to get it better together. Interestingly, this year's team is tracking last year's squad's standings very closely through similar timeframes.
This team may or may not win. I don't know what to believe with their playing abilities.

I can guarantee this team won't actively sabotage the season to stick it to their braindead, stuck in his ways, relic of the past of a coach.

This team may or may not win. I don't know what to believe with their playing abilities.

I can guarantee this team won't actively sabotage the season to stick it to their braindead, stuck in his ways, relic of the past of a coach.
From the highlights, this was the type of play Kings fans were hoping for....scrapping, hustle, and doggedness. Looks like Joerger is homing in on a lineup....its nice to see 3 wins in hard fought games - or as the Brits say, "results". Their collective passing has been improving it looks like. And I thought prior, the T-Wolves would get them, but was wrong.

I put in a post on the game thread on trends, and this game bucked a few trends. I feel this is the outcome of having a more veteran laden team. Team has slowly learned to win close games. Also, the winning five(rotation) of a game has played extended minutes to close out a game. I point this out as coaching tendency. Joerger will let the line-up that owns the 4th run out the game and rest them with timeouts. (At least, recently.)

Howver, back to the trends. This was a rare case where the Wolves won the third and the Kings lost the third, and that vital trend did not matter. Wolves broadcast pointed out (slightly underrated broadcast team) that the Kings have a very good record when they shoot a higher percentage from three than their opponent. This happened tonight and that trend continued. This is mostly due to the bench guys.

Collison is struggling as of late. It could be that he is just missing shots he normally makes or it could be that the lane is less open with two giant bigs. I feel its just a jump shot struggle, but maybe I'm off.

Lawson looking for his offense and looking much more like his old self again. Hope he continues the aggressive play.

Tolliver hit his 3's but the guy is a solid defender. He has his weaknesses due to being a tweener but the guy just makes the right decisions on that side of the floor. His stat lines might not jump out at you but most of the work he does wont show up in the box score.

Cousins was awesome again. His passing out of double and triple teams was beautiful. It's also awesome to see him drain consecutive three's almost every night. Seems like he shoots over 50% from 3 in the second half of games.

Collison with another bad game but the weird thing is that his stats actually look much better on the season than I expected. I was surprised when I saw them. I don't think the Dragic deal will happen but ESPN is talking about a trade rumor for Brandon Knight and I really hope that doesn't happen. Collison is a better player than Knight. Knight has averaged more points per game during some of his seasons but with much lower efficiency. Collison could do the same simply by shooting more often. That's a bad trade.

Shout out to Barnes for the solid defense on Wiggins who almost always tears Rudy Gay a new one. Glad his 3 point shot is getting back on track because sometimes he's just a dog out there if his shot isn't falling. That drive and turn around layup on Wiggins was nice.

Now that is an interesting stat collection i have been longing for. Great post, this is something to really indulge into.. Makes you wonder if this potrays any objective skill on catch and shoot 3s. Luck has to play a part to some extent.

It is also interesting to not see Cousins on this chart. Probably because he gets no open 3s but takes a decent amount. Makes an elite amount, as well. Well the beginning of this and last season really. I'd love to see a chart using this formula but comparing 3s shot and contested looks.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Now that is an interesting stat collection i have been longing for. Great post, this is something to really indulge into.. Makes you wonder if this potrays any objective skill on catch and shoot 3s. Luck has to play a part to some extent.

It is also interesting to not see Cousins on this chart. Probably because he gets no open 3s but takes a decent amount. Makes an elite amount, as well. Well the beginning of this and last season really. I'd love to see a chart using this formula but comparing 3s shot and contested looks.
Look again. Cousins is there. 43% ish.

The last three games where awesome. The Kings look like a very good team. They took Minnesota's best shot and showed resiliency. In the past they would have given up under this kind of bombardment. But now they answer back time and again hitting shots in return. It was impressive. Cousins was good as always. But this is a team now and others stepped up when needed. I hope this continues!

S

sactownfan

What the heck has gotten into our bench?

Kings bench: 45
Wolves bench: 11
Well... Tempe should technically be the starter.

Anyone but Koufos should be starting at the PF spot with Cousins at the 5.

At this point D.C. Should be the back up.

So we're talking about at least 3 of our bench players should actually be the starters...

Joergers starting line up is a joke. He should start the game with the best 5 just like he finishes it (thank god he knows to do that at least)

I can't think of any other team in the league that doesn't start their best five

There is something going on here and I like it.
The Kings continue to improve their defense and floor balance getting back against the break. They pass better. They stand around less. There is more urgency. They don't fade in the 4th quarter but turn up the defensive heat. They get along pretty well. At the end of games, guys like Barnes, Lawson, Cousins and Temple are on the floor with veteran presence. They don't panic like the old Kings. They are pulling out some close games. Coach J is making it happen. People need to get off his case.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Kings still have a bad habit of getting down early and having to claw back (the recent success hasn't made me any more of a fan of starting Kosta with Boogie) but the the difference lately has been that Kings have ended up finding a way to win these close games that in previous years they always seemed to lose.

The Kings are 5-2 since Rudy fell on his hip. :eek:

For those who recall that play, in the first half vs Lakers, did that look like an injury that result in 7 games and counting being missed? It didn't look that way to me! If I didn't know better I'd think the Kings are intentionally holding Rudy out until Cameron Payne is cleared to play and trade to the Thunder can be consummated (with other pieces involved). :cool:

It doesn't add up! Rudy fell on his hip and missed two weeks. I am not buying it. Unless he has osteoporosis and the hip bone density of Betty White.

Now I have some other stats for you in the midst of our three-game streak as X-Mas gift to long suffering fans:

Anthony Toliver has been DNP-CD for half of the games this year. Officially the number is 12 but 3-4 games he just got thrown in garbage time. He looked like bust after his 7-7 three ball pre-season game as fools gold. But lo and behold, Tolliver has escaped doghouse and awoke from the dead! All of sudden he is a legitimate and desperately needed spark plug with continued ineptitude of Willie Cauley-Stink.

Anyways kudos to this kid for being professional and staying ready and not losing confidence in his long bomb stroke. I don't think we beat the Blazers or the Wolves last night with Tolliver's timely three balls. Tolliver has made 10 of his last 14 threes for 71%!!!! :)

This was after a stretch of going 3-16 from deep. This guy is streaky and we need his streak to continue to get our record to .500. Tolliver has scored 34 points in the last three games and 30 point are result of the three ball.

Now onto the next:

Something weird happened to Oven Mitts Koufos. He took off the mitts! I still have NO confidence in this guy because every time he goes up for an uncontested two foot flip with no defender, I think he's gonna leave it short, long or launch it over backboard. But he's catching and finishing better like would be naturally expected of an average coordinated athlete with stable or corrected vision.

Dare I say that NO player gets as many easy shots in the NBA as Oven Mitts Koufos and since his 1-7 game against the Knicks at the start of the month he is capitalizing on this ease. Koufos has made 36-55 FGs over 10 games (6-4 record) for 65% FGs! I am not saying Koufos is playing great because none of his FGAs are high degree of difficulty.

Koufos has merely started to meet expectations after 20 games of bumbling play.

Before I get to Boogie, the other role player deserving of a shout-out is Lawson. Lawson has his swagger. This is reflected when he probes and pushes and does nifty job handling the rock in traffic. He has a confidence that was lacking before. His shot is coming back too. It is flat as an iPad but its going in. Lawson has made 18 of his last 30 shots (60% FGs) and 13 assists against 2 TOs during our three game winning streak.

This is much needed with the recent struggles of Collison.

Last point:

Boogie played like a superstar last night. An A- really? The steal he made with under a minute to go then leading the break with drop back pass was a thing of beauty. His three pointers early third kept the Wolves within reach. What is this world coming to when I am defending Boogie against the Bricklayer? :eek:

This is a game the Kings lose 9 times out of 10 in years past on the road when an opponent is making shots out of his mind (LaVine - 40 points of 21 FGAs....who only stopped missing when Temple put the clamps on him down the stretch). In fact, I recall a game at Minnesota in December of last year in which Boogie FAILED with a better supporting cast than this years rag tag bunch.

Let's compare:

Boogie 32/7/7/4/2 (7 assists vs 5 TOs , 3 Fouls, 0 techs, 13-24 FGs over 50%) WIN @ MIN 12/23/16
Boogie 24/12/4/4/1 (4 assists vs 5 TOs, 5 fouls, 1 tech, 11-25 FGs under 50%) LOSS @ MIN 12/18/15

Notice the difference?

More fouls, worse passing and shooting efficiency last year, and this comparison is microcosm of last year to this year. He rebounded better last year, but that's the only negative. Boogie is a more efficient player. He is a better player, better conditioned, and sharper and more decisive with his attack, even though he doesn't have Rondo to get 2-3 easy baskets per game, and looking for him all the time, and the supporting cast around him has been mostly mediocre to bad.

I want to point out that the Karl detractors who wanted Boogie in the post are wrong in this regard, though he certainly has improved there too with better footwork and decisive takes. But if you want the opponents to fear us, then put Boogie at the top of the key or free throw line with a live dribble. This is when opponents have NO idea what to do with him. NONE. This is what makes him so special, not feeding the ball to him on the block.

Last night the Wolves announcers said ONLY 22% of his scoring is out of the post. I love it when Boogie gets it in the low block with a mouse in the house or a guy he can bully. But he can do as much or more damage elsewhere and other points of attack. Joerger's high post scheme was a basis for my optimism in pre-season and continued basis in the second half of the season. We have a coach who knows how to use Boogie, to move him all over the court in the proper ratio, and his production (career high PPG) and efficiency (career high TS%) reflects that.

The recipe for a playoffs is enough role players around Boogie to win games like last night (Tolliver, Temple, Lawson, Koufos) and for Boogie to sustain 55% TS and over 1:1 assist to turnover. It is inconceivable Tolliver is going to be draining shots like he did and I have no reason to trust Koufos and NYPD-wanted bricklayer Matt Barnes over sustained stretch, so despite encouraging run, this is a team that needs to make a move.

Ben, Willie, Rudy and Affalo probably need new homes. It is just not working out so good luck and don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you. Merry X-Mas to the Kings players and all Kings Fans....except that one guy! :)

S

sactownfan

The Kings still have a bad habit of getting down early and having to claw back (the recent success hasn't made me any more of a fan of starting Kosta with Boogie) but the the difference lately has been that Kings have ended up finding a way to win these close games that in previous years they always seemed to lose.
Well they take Koufos out.... and the comebacks Are always made with him on the bench.... it's happened every single game this year... temple coincidentally is always on the floor when the team comes back....

Well... Tempe should technically be the starter.

Anyone but Koufos should be starting at the PF spot with Cousins at the 5.

At this point D.C. Should be the back up.

So we're talking about at least 3 of our bench players should actually be the starters...

Joergers starting line up is a joke. He should start the game with the best 5 just like he finishes it (thank god he knows to do that at least)

I can't think of any other team in the league that doesn't start their best five
Koufos is shooting 65% over his last 10 games. I have been as critical as anyone over his lousy play over the first 20 games, but he's coming around, and frankly there are no better options. And you cannot deny that Boogie is having a great year, his best season ever as a pro. To the extent Koufos has enabled that as someone patrolling the paint simultaneously is worth consideration.

Like I've said before, the ideal scenario was Willie commanding that spot and demanding those minutes. That didn't happen. Tolliver was DNP-CD for 15 of 30 games and gave the team nothing the first two weeks of the season. Rudy, Omri, and Barnes are not PF's so you pretty much have Koufos there by default. I just don't see where your criticism of Joerger in this instance has much merit. He's more or less making the best of a weak hand.