• The play of Papa

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • We held them under 50 in the 3rd

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

apologies to Papa for the typo on his name. I know how to spell it (Papa...Giannis).

Link to Boxscore

Afflalo ( INC ) -- was not off to a good start (D-ish?) and then suddenly disappeared before half with an injury. Combined with Malachi, we now have SIX of our small forwards/guards down, leaving a grand total of 3 guys for 3 positions. That's not going to work.

Cousins ( C+ ) -- tough to grade because he abruptly ran out of gas after half, and the good stuff suddenly ended. But played a strong/solid first half, picked the Warriors apart with passes, got Draymond to throw himself our of the game just before half after a flailing falling +1 play, not dominant, but good enough as we took a lead into half. By the third though was moving at half speed.

Koufos ( C ) -- limited productivity and missed his shots before getting in foul trouble One inspired play with a big block with the bad hand on Curry however.

McLemore ( C- ) -- during the first half hit some more threes for us, and added some more of the improved boardwork. but Klay lit him up all night, and when the third hit, the wheels came completely off as Ben and DC looked completely panicked and helpless. End of the debacle got so bad Ben and Malachi were the backcourt and swapping off "PG" duties.

Collison ( C- ) -- actually may have outplayed the pretty boy in the first half, getting into the paint repeatedly and scooting to the rim for layups, but collapsed, and completely and devastatingly, in the 3rd. We have no other PGs, and DC suddenly lost the ability to bring the ball over halfcourt or make the simplest pass without throwing it to a Warrior.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Barnes ( B ) -- played a strong first half already juggling multiple roles as our hustler, Durant defender, backup PG and main rebounder. But when after half Afflalo went down and Barnes had to add starting SF to the pile of other responsibilities, not nearly as effective and struggled mightily on offense in the pivotal 3rd.

Cauley Stein ( B- ) -- not sure I was as totally in love with this game as some, but the potential of it was attention grabbing, as Willie was often acting like an offensive goto guy...without the ability to consistently hit those shots. Might have been better defensively on the perimeter than inside this time.

Tolliver ( D- ) -- was back in full sucktastic mode all night long this time -- wasn't just a second half thing. Release was too slow on his threes, and the Warriors challenged them all, so he missed almost all of them. When he came in in the 3rd, the Warriors blew up. Gets some grade for some offensive boards he normally won't get.

Richardson ( B ) -- I liked his game a lot before we got screwed by yet another hamstring injury. (What? Do we not stretch?) Used his reach for his career best rebound game, made a lot of good moves on offense, not enough of which fell, but the moves were pro. Defensively was a mixed bag, with some saavy plays and competitive challenges, and too many fouls.

Labissiere ( D ) -- easily crossed my grading threshhold with 9+min of action, and this was the worse we've seen him. Floated about, did not battle on the glass.

Papagiannis ( INC ) -- moved better than we have seen him move

Last edited:
I didn't think the Kings played all that well in the first half. They started off a little slow and steadied a bit.

The start of the third was very slow and full of fouls. I feel the dooming mistake was when they passed up a lot of good looks and tried to make on extra pass. This lead to turnovers and worse shots, and that lead to fast breaks. After that, the Warriors committed to overplaying the pass and the Kings never adjusted.

Lost two more guys during the game as well.

BTW, Javale Mcgee is starting to look like Falkor the Luckdragon.

At this point I think we need to see what WCS looks like starting with Cousins, but by all accounts. This is a coach who has been slow to react with rotations, and vet biased, for my tastes, but there is not really too much advantage with continuing with Kosta

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At this point I think we need to see what WCS looks like starting with Cousins, but by all accounts. This is a coach who has been slow to react with rotations, and vet biased, for my tastes, but there is not really too much advantage with continuing with Kosta
I don't think he's slow to react. He's just really patient.

Let us not forget that Rick Adelman sat Peja behind Corliss for several seasons despite Peja becoming the clearly better player by the end of his rookie season.

Feb 23 against the Nuggets could be the difference in us making the playoffs or not. I can't wait, it will be an amazing atmosphere.
Kings will have 3 those till the end of the season, so I guess we will see at least half a PO series.
Kings have 2 home games, but 2 of those are on second night of b-2-b. Nuggets have only on of those: last game of the series will be in Sacramento, so both teams will be on tired legs.

Can't complain about the L. I expected the blowout with all of the injuries.
Skal.... yeah, he looked rough. I knew Papagiannis would be more ready to contribute than Skal. He's improved his body and conditioning a lot from SL.

I think Skal needs more DL time. I don't think he's physically nor mentally a NBA player yet...

Malachi shooting with a lot of confidence. He had a lot of mistakes, but he doesn't look fazed out there. It was a really nice all-around game by him.

What makes this game not such a big deal is we won against the Lakers. If we had lost there would have been pressure to win to make up ground. It would have been a worse night.

I thought we played well in the first half. If you give the Warriors an inch, they'll take a mile. They did in the second half.

The good news is everyone else lost. Mavs, Pelicans, Trailblazers and Nuggets lost.

Come on! Pressure to win against the best NBA team in their house on the second night of a b-2-b for a team, that in your scenario just lost to a worst-5 team?

Kings beat Warriors at home in a game, that was 3rd in 4 nights for GSW btw.

Last edited:
played well for a half and had them worried. The warriors commentary at the half was somewhat dismayed that we could keep them in check but we we're doing what we do. Everything was set up well. Cousins was calm and Draymond lost it, what could have been... one run, and an woeful run of turnovers on offense for us. You cant let the warriors get away like that.

Given the fact it was a back to back i guess we can look at that, as a contributing factor but lets just say im looking forward to getting Temple and Lawson back.

The Warriors are still the Warriors but we most definitely give them fits and they know it.

They dont want us in the playoffs

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think they are :D and rightly so
Well, given that Draymond can't hold his water when being pounded on by Cuz, maybe there is that. Get himself in T trouble again before the first round is out. :)

Still, I really think we should just go chase down the Thunder for #7 and face the Spurs. With Rudy gone poor Kawhi would have nobody to guard (ooh, I'm taking...Arron Afflalo out of the game? :) ).

Rightfully so? Because they lost once to us in 4 years? Like Brick said, they aren't worried about anybody in the first round.
yeah. Rightly so. Call it whatever you want. I have my rational. History is history. Its not anything to rest on, or hang your hat on.

Ive seen how we have played against them this season and i feel we match up well.

They are a highly geared, offensively potent, juggernaut of a team. This isn't lost on me, but i maintain we are best equipped to take them down.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
yeah. Rightly so. Call it whatever you want. I have my rational. History is history. Its not anything to rest on, or hang your hat on.

Ive seen how we have played against them this season and i feel we match up well.

They are a highly geared, offensively potent, juggernaut of a team. This isn't lost on me, but i maintain we are best equipped to take them down.
And, they just might look past us. The egos of Steph Curry, Draymond Green and Steve Kerr just cannot fathom a situation where a team like the lowly Kings could dare to intrude upon the greatness that is the GSW. (Insert vomit emoji here...)

Well, given that Draymond can't hold his water when being pounded on by Cuz, maybe there is that. Get himself in T trouble again before the first round is out. :)

Still, I really think we should just go chase down the Thunder for #7 and face the Spurs. With Rudy gone poor Kawhi would have nobody to guard (ooh, I'm taking...Arron Afflalo out of the game? :) ).
Zaza and Draymond is all they have in terms of slowing Boogie. Cousins will have to be dominant both on the floor and in terms of his emotions but should he be able to, we have a good chance. Its only the one moment he has been waiting for his whole life, so put him in that position and he will go out and get it.

Our scrubs will have to make the shots they get and there were plenty good looks they got last night in the first half but couldnt convert. Happy to ride that though. Continue to share the ball and defend and we'll get it done.

Still, I really think we should just go chase down the Thunder for #7 and face the Spurs.
IMO, this should have been the goal of the season.

I don't think this is plausible unless we get some help via trades and have an unbelievable run while the Thunder fall flat on their face. Although you do have a point about Kawhi having no one to guard... too late now though.

I think making the playoffs at all would be a hell of an achievement.

I don't think he's slow to react. He's just really patient.

Let us not forget that Rick Adelman sat Peja behind Corliss for several seasons despite Peja becoming the clearly better player by the end of his rookie season.
A smart coach makes a player earn minutes and a starting role. Part of that process is learning how to bring it each and every night off the bench. WCS still needs to prove that he can play this way consistently. If he does, he'll eventually earn a starting role.

Some people forget that the coach has the task of not just winning games, but developing players for the future.