Grades v. Spurs 11/03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Peja ( C- ) -- started off the game looking like he wanted to exorcise the Bowen demons. Very aggressive, and quickly ran off a string of points against Bowen. But it was all downhill from there, and it didn't matter who was guarding -- Bowen, Barry, Devin Brown...all of them seemed to bother him and he totally disappeared during the latter half of the game. Had some unconscionable rebounding lapses (once even deciding to leak out on the break when he was our PF at the moment), but countered that with some good defensive stands. At this point I can almost write in what Peja's numbers will look like against the Spurs -- 5-14 15pts 4rebs. Same ole same ole.
Webber ( D+ ) -- had the Kings fan nightmare first half -- looked like last year. VERY tentative and having to think about every move. Out of rhythm and unsure of what he wanted to do, and unsure of himself physically. But he seemed to suck it up at halftime, and came out in the third and looked much better. Still not dominant, but back to being moderately productive. Much better inside than outside. Had no legs on the jumper all night and started to settle for it. Lot of in and out shots tonight. Shot too much by the end of the game, but was at least trying.
Miller ( C+ ) -- foul trouble seemed to really throw Brad off after a good start. Just not much of a factor. Not awful, but no impact and very passive offensively.
Christie ( B ) -- it was nice to have Doug back out there on the floor. might of had the best +/- on the team this game. Not a big impact game, but some flashes of his old self, and seemed to be a steadying influence for us.
Bibby ( B ) -- solid comeback game. Strong offensive game, but was struggling with Parker's quickness at the other end and continuing to be shaky with his ballhandling as well. Kind of a one-man gang on offense.
BJax ( D- ) -- just very out of synch, Came in in the second quarter and was just frantic. Made some stupid plays, argued with the refs, quickly picked up three fouls. Was calmer later, but still did not seem to have any clue what he wanted to do. Really pressing.
Barnes ( B- ) -- nowhere near as effective as last night, but brought many of the same attributes. Matt makes a lot of mistakes, but he consistently brings an all around floor game and excellent energy. Even when he's messing up, he's generally messing up trying to make something happen. Likes his game in preseason, still like it. Waiting for the bubble to burst, but as of right now still effective for us.
Ostertag ( D ) -- ineffective tonight. Brought him in against Duncan early, and he instantly picked up three fouls. Later stints weren't much better. Put the infamous Tag hands on full display tonight. The wrap on his broken hand can't be helping, but even given that he just could not hold onto the ball at ALL.
Songaila ( C ) -- reminiscient of last night. Came in, looked ok. But really didn't get much done out there.
Evans ( C+ ) -- good energy in his short stints, but not much more. Not really his fault in the second quarter as he got caught as a SF in a bizarre ultra-smallball lineup of Bobby/Bibby/Evans/Barnes/Songaila..

Adelman ( C- ) -- this game was one of the most brutal games any team in the league is going to have to play all year -- San Antonio on a back to abck a night after Dallas and in the Spurs' home opener. Uh...ouch! A loss was expected. But the question is how did we play in losing? Answer = not great. Stretches of good play mixed in with stretches of being very out of synch. Ridiculous ultra-smallball lineup in the 2nd quarter was a bizarre respionse to our excessive foul trouble. Team also lost its composure in the face of some shaky officiating. And playing Peja 40+ minutes in this game was just dumb. He's done it before too.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Since93 said:
We have no bench AT ALL. Do you guys here REALLY think we are going to be fine with this bunch of players?
given time, yes. Not great, but fine. We're just unsettled right now.

Bobby/Tag/Darius have all shown in the past they are better than this, and Barnes may be abit of a find. Have to see about Alexander too. Not going to scare anyone, but if everybody does no more than play like themselves our bench will be ok.

talking about to scare someone. man when i looked at Dallas bench it just scared the hell out of me. they blow out the Hornets tonight btw.

I actually got to see the game. Wooohooo!

I'm not despondent about this game. I think we are seeing the impact of not having Vlade in the locker room and on the court. The Kings will develop a game of passing with Chris and Brad, and the new guys will develop some rapport on the court. It may take 20 games, but I think the new Kings are pretty good.

I hope Ostertag handles the ball a little better when his bandage is removed.

quick dog said:
I actually got to see the game. Wooohooo!

I'm not despondent about this game. I think we are seeing the impact of not having Vlade in the locker room and on the court. The Kings will develop a game of passing with Chris and Brad, and the new guys will develop some rapport on the court. It may take 20 games, but I think the new Kings are pretty good.

I hope Ostertag handles the ball a little better when his bandage is removed.
:confused:

QD, you've been as diffucult to follow and understand as #4

Ya, I miss Vlade, too, but I honestly think that the team's gonna be fine with this group of guys... yes, given time. Hopefully not too much, though...

I also think that we should be fine. We were shakey last year on the road. If we play well at home and split our games on the road, we should be good to go.

Sucks to start the season on the road, but it should be a good lesson for everyone.

And there's one procession he complains to the offical while dribbling the ball. Result -> a steal by the Spurs. THAT is totally unacceptable.

Like last game I was not so concern about our FG percentage. I was concern about our team look, our afford on the court. I can tell you even IF those shot went in I am not happy with our team play. FG percentage can be fixed but I doubt afford can. I just don't see our guys hungry enough. Period.

I am a big Peja fan, but I am getting annoyed with his disappearance acts. I am less frustrated when he sucks the whole game, at least then I know he has an off night. How can you have 12pts in first half and look like you are back to normal and then only have 3pts in 2nd half and not leave any impact. He showed us tonight that he can drive and dunk. Why not do it more often? He is the best FT shooter in the whole damn league get your self to the free throw line a little bit.

I am more upset with Peja tonight than with anyone else.

As a famous quote says.... "Suck it up and play".

i heard the first half of the game. the first 5 minutes were encouraging, but after christie came out, the wheels fell off. webber sounded like he was pressing it. the foul trouble, oh the fouls. that was not good.

i was happy to hear peja get off to a fast start, but then he disappeared again, what else is new. then again, it was bowen, but still, peja is too good a shooter to be shooting as poorly as he has these past 2 games. i really hope gets it together real soon, we NEED him to step it up like the MVP candidate he was last year.

bibby had a great bounce back game. that was nice to see him shoot so well.

*sigh* i hope we can beat the rockettes saturday!!!

if i remember correctly, the spurs started out pretty bad last year as well, and they finished the regular season just fine. when everyone is healthy, we should be fine. we played really well when christie was in, having him around full time when he was healthy should give us a huge boost. i doubt bobby shoots this bad for much longer. i'd rather us suck now then in march. hopefully we get all the ugliness out of the way now.

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!

vj9999 said:
I am a big Peja fan, but I am getting annoyed with his disappearance acts. I am less frustrated when he sucks the whole game, at least then I know he has an off night. How can you have 12pts in first half and look like you are back to normal and then only have 3pts in 2nd half and not leave any impact. He showed us tonight that he can drive and dunk. Why not do it more often? He is the best FT shooter in the whole damn league get your self to the free throw line a little bit.

I am more upset with Peja tonight than with anyone else.

As a famous quote says.... "Suck it up and play".

he also seems to be forcing alot of shots.him and c-webb too

I think its time to start scouring the waiver wire, and NDBL hopefuls for someone in that 6-10 to 7-1 range that is servicable. Jelani McCoy maybe, but someone like that who is a true center who has some fouls cause what is happening cause Ostertag aint really 100% its like Webber and Miller are almost afraid to play hard D cause they know behind them aint much right now. Also a problem is the fact that the normal J's the team takes arent falling, thats easily correctable, also no one has been drivign to the cup at all. But i think once Ostertag gets his hands back to 100%(for him, haha)... he should be effective defensively.

Truconfidence said:
I think its time to start scouring the waiver wire, and NDBL hopefuls for someone in that 6-10 to 7-1 range that is servicable. Jelani McCoy maybe, but someone like that who is a true center who has some fouls cause what is happening cause Ostertag aint really 100% its like Webber and Miller are almost afraid to play hard D cause they know behind them aint much right now. Also a problem is the fact that the normal J's the team takes arent falling, thats easily correctable, also no one has been drivign to the cup at all. But i think once Ostertag gets his hands back to 100%(for him, haha)... he should be effective defensively.
We can't guard anyone inside with the players we have. Tag will HELP with this situation but he is not going to be on the floor a whole lot. Neither Webb or Brad are good low post defenders and it seems that both of them have their feet glued to the floor when it comes to defensive rebounds. If Webb can consistently hit his jump hook he will be okay on the offensive end but the main problem with the Kings is their inability to stop the ball. I was getting real tired of seeing Parker, Ginobili, et. al., consistently going untouched through the lane because Bibby, Jackson, Christie, etc... couldn't stop this. This forces players to rotate and it will leave someone open.....last night it was Brent Barry and you know what that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.