[Grades] Grades v. Sixers 3/12/2014

What was your reaction to this game?

• Kings win! Kings win!

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Whew! Kings didn't lose! Kings didn't lose!

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • The NBA needs to disband

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Tanking = bad

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Ask the crumpled beer cans around my chair

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I am a saint for watching that

• You graders are really cool for watching that

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • There was a game?

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • You call that a game?

• Does anybody have a sharp object I could borrow?

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Ok...this was just a terrible basketball exhibition. Here was the one thing you need to know about this game: we didn't lose to a Sixers team on its way to the all time loss record.

So there it is. Whoopee! Otherwise this was basically unwatchable. Some people got numbers. Some did not. All irrelevant in this fugly scrimmage.

I'm going to go ahead and do a theme even though we won, just to entertain...well likely myself given the plummeting viewership numbers. So given that tonight we tried out our third starting PF in 3 nights I thought I would look at Who Were the Power Forwards of the Great Centers.

Your Consoritum Graders tonight:
Bricklayer
Uncia03
Bajaden
MassacheusettsKingsFan
Henkel

Boxscore

Stats: 35min 27pts (5-12, 1-3, 16-19) 7reb 5ast 2stl 0blk 4TO
Gay ( B+ ) -- first 5 or 6 minutes was in the same malaise as the rest of the team. Took a bad contested jumper to start things. Missed a three out of our first timeout. It was a tough contested runner for his first hoop. But that was all it took to get him going, and it wasn't long until he was carrying the offense. And with the refs blowing their whistles like they were being paid by the tweet, Rudy soon took up semi-permanent residence at the FT line, and had 11 points by the end of the quarter as we surged into the lead. It was never "clean" dominance. When he returned to the game and got a steal he promptly dribbled the ball off his own leg for a turnover. Late in the half he went inside, got rejected by Sims (who had a silly game for him) but got the ball back and hit McCallum cutting for the layup. And that maybe was the most impressive thing that happened. With Boogie AWOL and IT delivering not a single first half assist, Rudy took over as main creater of offense, and made a number of not just solid, but really sharp passes leading directly to layups and open shots. I barely bothered taking notes after half as this game's fugliness stunned me into trying to pick every single lint ball from the pillow I was leaning on, but after half Rudy;s offensive output slowed a bit with Cuz stepping up to shoulder more load. But he still made some more nice passes, still got to the line, and while he continued to miss open looks and never really ignite into "hot", he was just easily the best player on the floor.--Brick

Maurice Lucas
Height: 6'9"
Weight: 215lbs
Wingman To: Bill Walton
Stats w/Blazers: 29.7min 15.6pts (.461 .763) 8.7reb 2.5ast 0.8stl 0.7blk 2.6TO
Traits: when your nickname is "The Enforcer" it tells you much of what you need to know. Blocked bodies, not shots. Often considered an early prototype for PFs who followed, but as wingman to a great center were some differences. Was tough, thuggish even, strong on the glass, an intimidator. But also took a ton of shots compared to most more modern PF wingmen. Key was that Walton was not a dominant scorer. Was an All-Star all 4 years with Walton, made the playoffs each year. An All Defensive first teamer 1 yr, All Defensive Second Team 1yr.

Stats: 31min 5pts (1-5, 1-3, 2-4) 6reb 1ast 2stl 0blk 2TO
Williams ( D+ ) -- well...I suppose the good here is that this was bad enough that you probably did not have to hear Jerry Reynolds' normal spiel about how he's better at PF. If I had to guess I would say he got the start here because of the Thaddeus Young matchup, after Young nuked us last time we faced them. And on that front, maybe it kind of worked. Young struggled. Its hard to pin too much of that exactly on DWill, but he was certainly a closer match than our other PFs. On the other end of course throwing yet another offensive player in amongst the starters just created a mess, and Dwill, like anybody in that position, was rarely going to get an opportunity. Unfortunately the few times he did he looked bad, missing open shots, or forcing things in traffic. At least when he finally did hit a three, his only hit of the night, it was at a good point in the late third to get us up 14. --Brick

PJ Brown
Height: 6'11"
Weight: 225lbs
Wingman To: Alonzo Mourning
Stats w/Heat: 31.2min 9.9pts (.472 .755) 7.9reb 1.4ast 0.9stl 1.1blk 1.3TO
Traits: was wearing the wrong jersey in that photo, but seemed appropriate. Long defensive stud F. Had actually started his career playing some SF, but bulked up his 6'11" frame. Drab offensive player, but could post along the baselines, and had the faceup jumper. Think a bigger stronger and much meaner Tayshaun Prince. Not a great rebounder, but could block a shot and intimidate, and was a tough guy involved in some of the 90s ugliest brawls. Made the playoffs all 4 years with Mourning (and it seemed like more than 4), and was a 2x Second Team All Defensive selection during those years.

Stats: 27min 19pts (7-16, 0-0, 5-7) 12reb 2ast 1stl 0blk 5TO
Cousins ( C+ ) -- Started out with a couple of nice offensive possessions by getting to the line and then knocking down a turnaround jumper. For the rest of the half he wasn't able to find much of a rhythm. Missed a shot inside followed by a jumper that rimmed out. Didn't get back on defense as Sims beat everyone down the court for an easy dunk to put the Sixers out to their biggest lead of the night. It wasn't all so egregious but was out hustled in this one. Managed a successful break off of a steal that he took all the way to the rim from half court. While it's always fun to watch his batting average in this game alone wasn't great, and bigger picture contributes to his turnover troubles. Tried to find Gay cutting to the basket, but the pass wasn't close sailing out of bounds. Sims managed to score on him and then draw the foul for a couple free throws. Took a seat with a few minutes left in the first after one of his least impressive runs in recent memory. After reentering was aggressive going to the rim and managed to draw the foul. On his next chance missed a easy one inside. Got the ball back about 5 feet from the basket but traveled for another careless turnover. Picked up his second foul clearing out on the screen for a easy call. Shortly thereafter got his third swiping at the ball rather then attempting to defend the post. Had to sit for the rest of the quarter after only logging a few minutes in the second. Played better in the second half and owned the boards in the third. Grabbed a couple offensive rebounds early while picking up the foul call. Knocked down a couple 18 footers off of nice setups by IT, while having mixed results around the basket. Was getting deep in the post on his drives just not able to finish. Got a couple easy basket in transitions as the Sixers struggled to bring the ball up the court for much of the quarter. Did score a tough basket inside towards the end of the quarter along with grabbing another offensive rebound. On the other end Sims was having a big night mostly off of effort plays. Put up some numbers during this stint, although they were made less impressive due to the pathetic nature of the Sixers. For some reason came back in to close out most of the fourth. Didn't do much as he seemed content to just move the ball and get this one over with. Put his mark on this game in third, but overall a lackluster effort against a team where even less was required. --Henkel

Kurt Rambis
Height: 6'8"
Wingman To: Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Stats w/Lakers: 17.7min 4.9pts (.550 .681) 5.5reb 0.8ast 0.8stl 0.6blk 1.2TO
Traits: token starter w/ Clark Kent glasses was a pure hustle player, overall Lakers numbers pulled down a bit by an end of career return, but even during his biggest Lakers season was 5.5pts 7.0reb in 21min. Think Scot Pollard basically. No talent, but did all the dirty work, made all the hustle plays, and the Lakers hasd so many offensive weapons they needed nothing from him on that end. When he was replaced by the slightly more talented A.C. Green, Lakers fans started a "No Rambis, No rings" campaign. Showtime Lakers obviously made the playoffs all 7 years during his first stint with the team, but he returned for one of their once a decade dips in the mid 90s and missed both those years as a deep bencher.

Stats: 28min 15pts (5-7, 3-5, 2-2) 1reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 3TO
McLemore ( B ) -- You know what? Ben showed some flashes tonight. It wasn’t all good, and some of it was still pretty sloppy (as was the entire game), but overall it was one of the better games he’s had as a pro. He was extremely quiet for most of the first half, and when he did have an opportunity at an open 3 (off of a really nice half court set) he bricked it. He later hit a deep, questionable 3, fumbled the ball around like he’s been known to do, and went into halftime without much going on for him. It’s worth noting that while his offense was pretty non-existent in that first half, his defense was solid throughout. I’m actually pretty sure I had to grade McLemore last time the Kings played the 76ers, because I remember mentioning how lucky he was to be guarding Hollis Thompson. He was lucky again tonight, as Hollis just isn’t any sort of threat. Hit stat line says he had 4 steals and 3 blocks, and this was largely because he didn’t have to play Thompson tight, allowing him to do a little bit of roaming and poking at the ball. When he was forced onto James Anderson or Tony Wroten his defense wasn’t as good. I noted one really nice strip on a Michael Carter-Williams drive. His second half was much better. And it didn’t take anything complicated to turn his night around. He just started hitting his open 3’s, running hard in transition (had a really nice highlight oop off of a IT pass), and taking the ball to the hoop with a purpose. Of course, some of this good play late happened when the game was pretty much over. I’d like to see McLemore have this sort of performance with a little more balance, but it’s a start, and a good little indication of what the Kings want and need McLemore to be moving forward: a knock down shooter with elite athleticism who can defend. He’s far from that guy right now, but he showed some of that guy tonight. It’s just so hard to take anything concrete away from a game like this because of how aggressively terrible the 76ers are, plus the lunacy that was the Kings free throw attempts tonight. It was a weird, sloppy game, but I came away from it pleased with how McLemore played. --Mass

A.C. Green
Weight: 225lbs
Wingman To: Kareem Abdul Jabbar (+ 1yr late career Shaq)
Stats w/Lakers: 29.2min 10.6pts (.503 .747) 7.7reb 1.1ast 0.9stl 0.5blk 1.3TO
Traits: iron man who replaced Rambis due to wider skillset. Good but not great rebounder. Strong man defender. Had a faceup jumper but little else on offense. Fast for his position and ran the floor with Showtime. 11-12ppg 8-9rpg guy next to Kareem. Lakers fans one year thought it would be fun to mess up the All Star game by stuffing the ballot box to make Green an All Star starter instead of Karl Malone. Lakers made playoffs in all 8 of his seasons with them.

Stats: 37min 20pts (4-10, 1-4, 11-12) 5reb 6ast 4stl 0blk 4TO
Thomas ( B ) -- If you were hoping for a good basketball game this wasn’t it. The PG match-up was between IT who’s been struggling to figure out how to balance his scoring instincts with the need to run the team and MCW who had his 2nd triple-double of the season in this last game and the fastest as a rookie since the Admiral. And both were equally terrible at running their teams in this game of FTs and bad turn-overs. Just so that you’re fully aware of how badly both sides played team basketball the Kings had a perfect 1 to 1 ratio of assists to turnovers with 21 assists and 21 turn-overs. And their opponent, the mighty 76ers who just finished setting a franchise record of 14 consecutive losses at home and 17 straight losses in total also had a perfect 1 to 1 ratio of assist to turnovers with 20 assists and 20 turnovers. Just dreadful basketball play all the way around, especially when you consider that the Kings went to the line 50 times in this game, which just prolonged the misery. With all that said, IT gets a fairly good grade in this one for two factors. First he had a better game than MCW who apparently decided to crash and burn after recording his triple-double the last time out. IT had a couple of good defensive moments, but MCW was just awful out there. He couldn’t hit an outside shot to save his life (except for his 1st attempt) and he couldn’t get a pass cleanly to his teammates. MCW went 5-14 from the field and had 7 turn-overs to only 3 assists and it was mostly due to him playing poorly rather than IT forcing the issue. IT on the other hand really didn’t have a good game either from the PG position, and after playing the entire 1st quarter he only had 2 moments where he set up a player for an assist. He didn’t get an assist as both shots were missed, but his 2nd attempt was on the last play of the quarter. So he went 11 minutes and 50 seconds with only one play that could have resulted in an assist. He got back into the game with 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and guess what…didn’t get a single assist opportunity in those 8 minutes. So…basically 20 minutes of playing time with no assists and only 2 opportunities which could have resulted in assists. Did I mention the PG play was terrible on both sides? My guess is that he got a talking to at half-time because for a 5 minute stretch to start the 3rd quarter things changed drastically as he recorded 4 assists in the first 5 minutes of the third. So like I said, he did better than MCW, though the PG play itself wasn’t that great. The second thing that IT did well was hit his free-throws. The Kings almost set a record in Philly with the number of FT attempts and IT was a big part of that going to the line 12 times and making 11 of them. That is where the majority of his points came from as he went 4-10 from the floor while taking pretty bad shots the entire night. Three times he took 3pt shots with 18-20 (18 once and 20 twice) seconds left on the clock making 1 of three. And two other shots were rushed shots as he tried to score back on MCW who had gone at him on the other end, and he missed both of those. By and large his shooting selection wasn’t great, but he was aggressive driving to the rim and the Refs were calling everything which allowed him to live at the FT line along with Rudy. So poor PG play and shot selection, but he outplayed his counterpart in MCW, he was aggressive getting to the line and knocking down the free-throws, and we blew out the opponent. --Uncia

Charles Oakley
Weight: 245lbs
Wingman To: Patrick Ewing
Stats w/New York: 33.0min 10.4pts (.493 .782) 10.0reb 2.3ast 1.2stl 0.2blk 2.2TO
Traits: Elite rebounder (2x NBA Rebounding Champ), tough as nails, durable, physical to point of dirty, groundbound but stout post and team defender, had solid faceup jumper, no post game, 10-12ppg scorer, Knicks made playoffs all 10 years he was with them and Ewing

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Stats: 26min 14pts (6-10, 0-0, 2-4) 7reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 0TO
Thompson ( B+ ) -- JT played a pretty solid game tonight. But it was the tale of two halves. Once again JT didn't start. He entered the game with 3:42 left in the first quarter. His only scoring in the first half came at the foul line where he went 2 of 4. He had some other opportunities, but blew a couple of chances for Cousins to get an assist. Other than that, there isn't much to talk about offensively. However, he did a better job of guarding Sim's than Cousins did. He also blocked a shot by Wroten. So most of JT's scoring came in the second half. He started by dunking the ball off of a nice pass by Gay. Then he scored using a spin move to get to the basket. By this point, we were in something that resembled garbage time. But what the hell, as long as they keep calling your number, why argue. His next basket came off of pass by Acy. After getting his shot blocked, he managed to catch a tough pass from McLemore and score again. He followed that with another layup on a pass from IT, and finally finished the night with a beautiful spin move in the post to score. While I admit that some of his baskets came with Philly half buried, that's not his fault. Plus, Philly is home to JT, so its nice that he got to show off a little in front of his father and friends. Along with his 14 points and 1 blocked shot, he also managed to pull down 7 boards. Plus, according to my notes, he didn't have one turnover. That alone should be enough for a B on a night where everyone was playing give away.--Baja

Robert Horry
Height: 6'10"
Weight: 240lbs
Wingman To: Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O'Neal
Stats w/Houston: 31.09min 10.5pts (.447 .356 .742) 5.3reb 3.1ast 1.4stl 1.2blk 1.9TO
Stats w/Lakers: 25.4min 6.3pts (.421 .325 .744) 5.5reb 2.2ast 1.1stl 1.0blk 1.2TO
Traits: famed clutch shooter and defensive irritant. Blown up SF and eternal platoon player for not one, not even just two, but three (or even four if you count Duncan) different HOF centers. Not a rebounder, but a dirty work player, instigator, long could block a shot, poke away a ball. Offense was as a spot shooter prone to hitting big threes. Made the playoffs each of his 16 years in the league, and ended up winning 7 rings with his schtick.

Stats: 27min 4pts (1-7, 0-2, 2-2) 5reb 3ast 2stl 0blk 1TO
McCallum ( C- ) -- Ray is getting increased minutes and in this one he played most of his time as the SG coming in for Ben. And unfortunately, as has been noted time and time again, the SG position is the position of despair because you have relatively few opportunities to have any sort of impact on the offensive end if you’re on the floor with Cousins, Rudy, & IT. And this game was no exception. He took seven shots and shot it poorly but I should mention that 2 of those shots were him trying to beat the buzzer. The first when he missed an open 3pt shot at the end of the 1st quarter and got the offensive rebound and put up a shot which missed, and the second at the end of the 3rd when he had a fast-break opportunity but just missed the floater as time expired. So the bad shooting doesn’t look so bad in that context. By and large he didn’t handle the ball much as a PG and he didn’t get a lot of shots in the flow of the offense. So his primary job was to defend and unfortunately he had the task of dealing with Tony Wroten a lot of the time. For those who don’t know who Wroten is…he came out of Washington after his first year and he’s simply dynamic with the basketball. When I was watching him in college he looked very much like a left-handed Tyreke clone with better passing instincts but poorer shooting. And Wroten very much used his strength and handle to get to the rim on multiple occasions including an absolutely devastating ankle-breaking move on Ray. Fortunately for Ray, Wroten missed the lay-up, but it was an impressive move to get to the rim by Wroten. Anyway, Ray played a lot of minutes, but due to the majority of them being at the SG spot, his impact was pretty minimal. He had the job of guarding a dynamic mover-and-shaker in Wroten and lost that battle a few times. He did do a lot of other things though as he rebounded it well, had a few assists and steals and only a single turn-over. So he’s looking as if he can be a player who can make a positive impact, especially if he continues with his defensive intensity. --Uncia

Bobby Jones
Weight: 210lbs
Wingman To: Moses Malone
Stats w/Philly: 24.8min 10.7pts (.542 .794) 4.8reb 2.2ast 1.2stl 1.1blk 1.7TO
Traits: super hustler and scrapper, known for doing all of the dirty work, and doing it cleanly. Too skinny to be a rebounder, but one of the best defensive players of his generation. Was All Defense First Team 8 years, and Second Team once more as he aged. Think a scrappier Andrei Kirilenko maybe. Had had a long successful career by the time Moses arrived, but as a platoon player in his last 4 years with Moses won the 1982-83 championship. Never missed the playoffs in his 12yr career.

Stats: 15min 7pts (3-4, 1-1, 0-0) 3reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Outlaw ( B ) -- Travis is one of the harder players on this roster to grade because his opportunities are so limited. I have a hard time defining what an average Travis Outlaw game is. With that being said, he probably made the most of his limited opportunities tonight. He had a nice, tough drive in the first half, and followed that up with two jumpers in the second half. 7 points in 15 minutes on 3-4 shooting for a backup SF is solid, and his defense was adequate. It wasn’t exciting to say the least, but it was mostly good. It should be noted that Derrick Williams started at PF tonight, which pushes Outlaw up in the rotation to backup SF. I don’t know how long this current starting unit will last, but Outlaw should be seeing a few minutes each half moving forward. --Mass

Otis Thorpe
Wingman To: Hakeem Olajuwon
Stats w/Houston: 36.0min 15.8pts (.559 .670) 9.7reb 2.6ast 0.8stl 0.3blk 2.5TO
Traits: Stout rebounder (averaged 10+rebs 5 times in 8 years in his prime), very strong, durable, had post game, jumper not as good, not a shot blocker nor noted defender, had huge hands and size to man the center spot when Olajuwon was out, and offensive game to take over postup duties. Very efficient 17ppg scorer during those years and made 1 All Star team. Made playoffs 5 of 6 years as Hakeem's wingman, won 1 title.

Stats: 8min 2pts (1-2, 0-0, 0-0) 2reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Acy ( INC ) -- A decent game in limited minutes. Things didn't start out great as he threw a soft pass that got picked off. Redeemed himself somewhat with a hard foul to deny the easy basket. Outlaw managed to find him down low as he forced one up and in from in close. Pulled after a few minutes as Williams was getting a extended look. Manage a couple of nice passes late in this one. First a cross court pass out of the post for the open jumper followed by a drop off down low for JT. Missed on a jumper while throwing in another hard foul after getting beat on the quick spin by Sims. Too few minutes for a grade but made a few plays to go along with the usual effort in this solid outing. --Henkel

Larry Nance
Wingman To: Brad Daugherty
Stats w/Cleveland: 34.6min 16.8pts (.530 .804) 8.2reb 2.6ast 0.8stl 2.5blk 1.5TO
Traits: hyper athletic leaper (and former Slamdunk contestant), was a tall 3/4 combo with skills of both. Major shotblocker, which was the key to his pairing with Daugherty, who was not. But was not the rugged physical specimen normal for the role. Skill, length, leaping ability. Much more offensively oriented than most great center wingmen, and in fact was their 2nd/3rd weapon and a 2x All Star. Made playoffs in 5 of his 7 years in Cleveland, but massive injuries to core personnel ruined several of their seasons.

Stats: 3min 2pts (1-1, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Evans ( INC ) -- Reggie only played 3 minutes, and it didn't seem that long. He did manage one basket, but that's about it. --Baja

Horace Grant
Wingman To: Shaquille O'Neal
Stats w/Orlando: 34.6min 11.3pts (.502 .704) 8.2reb 2.1ast 1.0stl 1.0blk 1.1TO
Traits: long athletic PF who was part of Jordan's first three peat before embarking on a second career of great center wingmandom. Paired with Shaq in Orlando, and then later in his career for one of the Lakers' three-peat years. Was a top defender and 4x All Defense Second Team, two of those coming next to Shaq. A good but not great rebounder, athlete on the offensive glass, could swat shots with his length. Main offense was a faceup jumper from up top with near 3pt range. A 12 and 9 guy w/defense in his prime. Made playoffs all three of his seasons paired with Shaq, reaching the Finals twice and winning 1 title..

Stats: 3min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Johnson ( INC ) -- just the last few minutes of garbagetime. We resigned him to the second 10 day, then have quit playing him. --Brick

Dale Davis
Weight: 252lbs
Wingman To: Rik Smits
Stats w/Indiana: 29.5min 9.3pts (.543 .531) 9.0reb 0.9ast 0.7stl 1.3blk 1.2TO
Traits: tough rugged physical specimen on the glass and defense that teamed with fellow Davis, Antonio, to give the Pacers interior defense and rebounding that Smits (massive but immobile) could not provide. Limited offensive skill set, stiff and mechanical and scored right around the hoop or not at all. Had the size to play center as well as PF, and capable of blocking a shot, or elbowing you to the jaw. Both worked. Made the playoffs in 9 of his 10 seasons with Indiana.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't think that there was anything atypical about the viewership; I thought it was to be expected, and nothing even to do with the losing: You* left coast types never show up for the eastern road trips.

* Using the Royal "you," of course.

Just like so many of our games are losses, this was a win. Call it fugly but call it a win. For an all-time all-first team Sacramento Kings fan, there is nothing like a win. So congrats Malone, Cuz, Gay, IT and particularly JT who has suffered with me as a Kings fan longer than any one else. Cheers.

didn't get to watch the game, but holy sh**, when was the last time the kings got to the free throw line fifty times?!
i think that game against the Raptors when Adam Silver was at the game and they called that awful offensive foul on Lowry at the end. if they didn't have 50 that game, they were very close

K

KingMilz

Props to Thad Young for playing hard after all the bs he's had to go through from trade talks and the team clearly tanking to the max with the trades they made I thought he looked really good tonight.

Solid win not sure why we are playing a SF as the starting PF makes no sense Reggie and JT are the only two who should have any consideration for starting. Also why does Outlaw play I'm trying to figure out, like he played solid but what's the actual use now or in the long run?

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
McLemore and JT chipping in 15 and 14 points respectively was great to see in support of the Big-3. But Assists and TO's are still quite glaring problems. I tried to count what type of TO's the Kings accumulated: 7 were dumb/bad/poor/semi-brainless passes, 4 or 5 were traveling, couple were dribbling off one's self, you get the idea. Very few (7 steals) were caused by the 76er's. And near end of first half, I heard Grant and Jerry lament that the starting 5 between them, had only 1 (ONE!) assist. And I think 11 TO's. And they were still ahead. Tells you how bad is the Philly team. Kings needed this kind of game but would like it more for them to play a game with 10 TO's and 25 AST. A heat check so-to-speak.

I hope the Sixers get the 5th pick in the draft for the abomination of a team they put on the court every night and cancel the Rookie of the year award for this season. Adding MCW or Oladipo to that list makes me sick personally.

2012-13Damian LillardPortland Trail Blazers
2011-12Kyrie IrvingCleveland Cavaliers
2010-11Blake GriffinLos Angeles Clippers
2009-10Tyreke EvansSacramento Kings
2008-09Derrick RoseChicago Bulls
2007-08Kevin DurantSeattle SuperSonics
2006-07Brandon RoyPortland Trail Blazers
2005-06Chris PaulNew Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets
2004-05Emeka OkaforCharlotte Bobcats
2003-04LeBron JamesCleveland Cavaliers
2002-03Amar'e StoudemirePhoenix Suns
2001-02Pau GasolMemphis Grizzlies
2000-01Mike MillerOrlando Magic
1999-00Steve Francis & Elton BrandHouston Rockets, Chicago Bulls
1998-99Vince CarterToronto Raptors
1997-98Tim DuncanSan Antonio Spurs
1996-97Allen IversonPhiladelphia 76ers
1995-96Damon StoudamireToronto Raptors
1994-95Jason Kidd, Grant HillDallas Mavericks, Detroit Pistons
1993-94Chris WebberGolden State Warriors
1992-93Shaquille O'NealOrlando Magic
1991-92Larry JohnsonCharlotte Hornets
1990-91Derrick ColemanNew Jersey Nets
1989-90David RobinsonSan Antonio Spurs
1988-89Mitch RichmondGolden State Warriors
1987-88Mark JacksonNew York Knicks
1986-87Chuck PersonIndiana Pacers
1985-86Patrick EwingNew York Knicks
1984-85Michael JordanChicago Bulls

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Props to Thad Young for playing hard after all the bs he's had to go through from trade talks and the team clearly tanking to the max with the trades they made I thought he looked really good tonight.

Solid win not sure why we are playing a SF as the starting PF makes no sense Reggie and JT are the only two who should have any consideration for starting. Also why does Outlaw play I'm trying to figure out, like he played solid but what's the actual use now or in the long run?
The last time we played Philly, Young went off on us for about 28 points. Williams got the nod to start so he could guard Young. And he did a pretty good job. He held Young to 5 of 18 shooting and 16 points. I happen to like Young, but he did not have a good offensive game tonight.

I don't know know how they can give an award to any member of the sixers.

I know ROY rarely comes from a winning or even average team, but that team and organization doesn't deserve anything for what they've done.

Watching this game was as pleasant as listening to someone take a garden rake to a chalkboard. It was the Higher Lotto Pick Bowl ! Give me MORE PING PONG BALLS !

I actually really don't mind what the Sixers are doing, it's just the rebuilding tabula rasa thing taken to the extreme. either it works long term or it doesn't. either way, it's an interesting case study. although, admittedly, the early 2000s Denver Nuggets weren't that far off, in how they approached their rebuild.

Ben McLemore is having his first legitimate good streak of games since November.

9.6 ppg at .635 TS% (Thats 51% FG, 38% 3ptFG, 85% FT for you dinosaurs :p). Its just four games, but its nice to see a spark, even if its a tiny one.

a couple of obervations about the game:

1) Philly has only won 15 games (which is bad), but on top of that, 6 of their wins came before Thanksgiving (that is really bad).

2) DMC lead the team in TO's again tonight. In 5 out of the last 6 games he has had 5 or more TO's. This was done against teams that are not all that great. He leads all Cs and PFs in the league in TO's. In fact, only DHoward is even close. He really needs to address this IMHO.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
a couple of obervations about the game:

1) Philly has only won 15 games (which is bad), but on top of that, 6 of their wins came before Thanksgiving (that is really bad).

2) DMC lead the team in TO's again tonight. In 5 out of the last 6 games he has had 5 or more TO's. This was done against teams that are not all that great. He leads all Cs and PFs in the league in TO's. In fact, only DHoward is even close. He really needs to address this IMHO.
Thank you for those stats. I think this aspect of the Kings' performance isn't discussed nearly enough. The frustrating thing about the TOs is that Cousins has it in him to be a good passer; he's not congenitally disabled when it comes to passing. But it seems like his inner demons get the best of him and then he forces things - being the point guard, forcing a pass, forcing a shot, just doing what he wants to do regardless of the consequences. I haven't checked the stats to compare to the last few years, but it doesn't seem like he has improved at all in this regard. Until he does, it's hard to see this team going to the playoffs anytime soon.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
While this is factually true, it doesn't factor ballhanding duties into the equation. It's tough for, say, DeAndre Jordan to get turnovers when he basically doesn't touch the ball on offense, except to throw down lobs, or for Andre Drummond to get turnovers when he's only touching the ball on offense for putbacks.

Cousins has the highest usage of any center in the league, by a factor of a lot: in fact, it's almost double that of Joakim Noah, who is basically the only other center in the league who handles the ball on offense. Hell, when you adjust for how little game time he spends with the ball in his hands, or handling in transition, relative to Cousins, Howard's turnover ratio is much more alarming. I mean, Cousins acts like he thinks he's a guard, and he turns the ball over like a guard. Howard acts like a center, but still turns the ball over like a guard.

Which isn't to say that Cousins' turnovers aren't a problem, because they are. Just not quite the problem you're making them out to be, all things considered.

Thank you for those stats. I think this aspect of the Kings' performance isn't discussed nearly enough. The frustrating thing about the TOs is that Cousins has it in him to be a good passer; he's not congenitally disabled when it comes to passing. But it seems like his inner demons get the best of him and then he forces things - being the point guard, forcing a pass, forcing a shot, just doing what he wants to do regardless of the consequences. I haven't checked the stats to compare to the last few years, but it doesn't seem like he has improved at all in this regard. Until he does, it's hard to see this team going to the playoffs anytime soon.
He's averaged 3.1 TO/game for his career. That isn't outrageous for a top offensive center. He can cut down on silly turnovers but I hardly think that's keeping the Kings from the playoffs.

Olajuwon: 3.0
O'Neal: 2.8 (but over 3 the early part of his career)
Duncan: 2.5 (but over 3 the early part of his career)
Moses Malone: 3.1

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'd rather not have a frontcourt mate next to Cousins who looks for his own shot as much as Nance did. Especially if the plan is to keep Gay.