[Grades] Grades v. Grizzlies 12/16/2016

Whose love child did you want to have tonight?

• Foxy Kosta Koufos

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Garret "Tempting" Temple

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I want to have everybody's baby!

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Memphis already had a big 4. They already had Mike Conley, Zach Randolph, and Marc Gasol. Don't forget, they were all young and in their prime too. It's not like the Kings were DC is already 29, Afflalo 31, etc.

Without Rudy, the Kings would only have DeMarcus Cousins. Darren Collison is a bench player. Koufos is a bench player. Omri is a bench player. Ben is a bench player.

There's no one on our team capable of scoring at least 20ppg aside from Cousins and Gay.
I look at it from this perspective. Whether Cousins and Rudy are here till the end of the season, we trade Rudy, we trade DMC and rebuild completely, or any other scenario. Rudy took the out of character for him step of making it clear , through the media, that he will not pick up his option. He simply does not fit into any scenario for winning much of anything beyond this season. The time tables do not match.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Losing Gay will make us less talented: it may not necessarily make us worse; Memphis didn't become more talented when they traded him, but they gave more minutes to guys who ended up being a better fit. Same with Toronto: they didn't improve because they became more talented, either.
The Trading-Rudy-Gay-Bounce. It's a thing. Let's get it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Temple is a absolute savage I wonder how the team would go teaming him up with another above average wing defender like Thabo or PJ Tucker or someone in that regard.
At this point, I'm absolutely shocked that the Kings were able to get him at the price they did. He's gone beyond just being a defensive body and somehow become (with Rudy out) the second best overall player on the roster.

K

KingMilz

At this point, I'm absolutely shocked that the Kings were able to get him at the price they did. He's gone beyond just being a defensive body and somehow become (with Rudy out) the second best overall player on the roster.
I watched a ton of Temple when he was with the Wizards the whole time Andre Miller was there and while he was always a good defender I never remembered him being this good I think it might be that he really excels defending PG's (he's obviously good against wings as well) and pressing whoever is bringing the ball up full court his defense and overall game is really shining now that he's getting consistent playing time.

I was wrong about Temple, while I didn't like his offense to begin with, his consistent total effort shows his value. They struck out with Affaolo, but did well with Temple. Win some and lose some in FA - Lawson and Temple were good pickups Barnes and Affaolo not really....the win at Memphis is the Kings fools-gold game, and there will be others statistically. Winning 5-row+ would be a marker for this team. Last year's team had it just before nose-diving.
I like McClemore getting some minutes again. Gay is talented but a black hole. His passing sucks on offense, and his defense is inconsistent. He'll look like an all-star one game when his offense is there, and team-defeating ball-hog another, or worse yet disappear in a different game.

Hey, we won a game. Tough team at home. The players and the team we fielded deserve a lot of credit, along with the coach.

Let's not raise Temple to sainthood or toss Gay out as trash. Hey, we just won a great game.

Maybe the team took a small step towards plaiying better team basketball. We haven't yet locked the number one seed spo in the west.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Can't you just ENJOY the W and see the bright side for once? :) SMH...

Oh, and admit you were wrong saying we can NEVER win in MEM? :D
Is that what you want? for me to admit I was wrong? I may be wrong from time to time, but more often than not, I am right. One win against Memphis doesn't change my optimism and the outlook in general of this team. I'm thinking in the long term and present and not just the present.

... I may be wrong from time to time, but more often than not, I am right. One win against Memphis doesn't change my optimism and the outlook in general of this team. I'm thinking in the long term and present and not just the present.
Or the severe lack thereof... :D

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Or the severe lack thereof... :D
Don't be like that! :eek:

I know I get criticized for being a debbie downer too much, but I can no longer be content with the team winning 25-30 games a season while continuously ending up in "No man's land" with no shot to compete for not just a 8th seed in a weakened conference, but a long term winner.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

I know I get criticized for being a debbie downer too much, but I can no longer be content with the team winning 25-30 games a season while continuously ending up in "No man's land" with no shot to compete for not just a 8th seed in a weakened conference, but a long term winner.
We're not going to win 25-30 games this year, unless we trade somebody major or lose them to long term injury. This team has shown better than that.

We have 10 wins in less than a 1/3 of the season (26 games), and the most brutal part of the schedule is behind us.
If I were to only extrapolate from this - I would estimate our total wins this season at 35-40,
And that's without getting better, either by gelling together further or improving the roster mid-season.
You may also want to add the tanking/resting factor of other teams in the last stretch...

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We have 10 wins in less than a 1/3 of the season (26 games), and the most brutal part of the schedule is behind us.
If I were to only extrapolate from this - I would estimate our total wins this season at 35-40,
And that's without getting better, either by gelling together further or improving the roster mid-season.
You may also want to add the tanking/resting factor of other teams in the last stretch...
you really see 40 wins with this roster? so what happens then? you lose a valuable asset, which is a draft pick and have a handful of free agents...time to replace with the same type of veterans?

We're not going to win 25-30 games this year, unless we trade somebody major or lose them to long term injury. This team has shown better than that.
Well, you're technically right. We are currently on pace for 31.5 wins and that's with DeMarcus playing every game (except the Rockets gave, which we probably would have lost anyway with him). DC missed, what, 8 games in the beginning, but who noticed? It's not exactly like he's tearing it up.

So we are on pace for 31.5 and then when you throw in the inevitable 10-15 games that DMC will miss due to injuries and suspensions it could very well put us back to the 25-30 range.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
you really see 40 wins with this roster? so what happens then? you lose a valuable asset, which is a draft pick and have a handful of free agents...time to replace with the same type of veterans?
People keep saying this, but really, what exactly is this great disaster coming down the road? In another thread we have people openly suggesting losing Rudy might be addition by subtraction. Not sure I entirely believe that, but still, it can hardly be addition by subtraction now, and then some great disaster this summer.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It's a step in the right direction. That's all we can ask for... AS LONG as steps continue to be taken and they don't stagnate at 35 wins each and every season.
The Kings stagnate time and time again around 25-32 wins...this has not change, I have zero reason to believe that will change for this season as the roster is assembled.