[Grades] Grades v. Grizzlies 11/6/10

What explains Donte's complete disappearance?

• Coach found out Donte voted against legalizing marijuana, or vice versa.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Donte spoke ill of Luther Head. Or Ime Udoka. Or the scrub of the week.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Donte filled Coach's car with popcorn. Buttered caramel popcorn.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Donte slapped Coach.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Donte slapped Coach's wife.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Donte slapped Coach's dog.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Donte and the Westphal family member of your choice do the Delonte.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Donte abducted and replaced by pod person. And Coach knows.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Coach learns Donte was behind the grassy knoll.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Donte using flab to make belly button talk really peeves Coach.

Votes: 15 24.6%

• Total voters

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The good news: Tyreke was great.
The bad news: everybody else sucked (with apologies to Cisco and Dalmebert)

Loss = Theme, and given the depressing nature of said loss, theme just has to equal: Pretty Girls, the first of 2010

P.S. As noted in the preseason, this year I am cheerfully taking Theme lists from anybody who wants to provide them. Choose a topic you know, put together your list w/links or pics hopefully, + send it to me and if its good I will use it. I of course mention this now to forestall the inevitable complaints about pretty girls -- you don't like pretty girls? Well a) you're strange. And b) so send in your own idea and do something about it!

Official Boxscore

Casspi ( C ) -- a number of Kings had relatively inexplicably poor outings in this one, but Omri's struggles -- and he was more mediocre than awful -- had a more obvious source: Rudy Gay kicked his, and our, butts. Got off to the active start running the floor and cutting, and while he wasn't producing much with it, at least it was energy. Hit the buzzer beating 40 feet heave at the 1st quarter buzzer for his only three. An important little moment actuallty as we had played a shaky quarter but went in down only 6. But from the very start of the game Gay was dominant, and there was nothing Omri could do about it. Not too much to be ashamed about, as Gay took on all comers, and went over Omri, Jason, Demarcus and Daly, and through Reke and Cisco before the night was through. But it was still a pretty one sided thumping. Omri scored in transition, but never got the shooting game going, and was hindered in that regard by some seriously bad and off target setup passes. The beating resumed after half, with Gay going right over to start the 3rd, and Omri unable to respond, and picking up an offensive foul possibly through frustration. We had worse players on the night -- we DEFINITELY had worse players on this night -- but it was still a long one for Omri and his matchup was one of two (the other was PF) that killed us all night long.

Leighton Meester -- accidentally watched a movie with her in it a few weeks back, and just had to go look in the credits and say "who dat?"

Landry ( F ) -- crunch. Ouch. Were this theme tonight not dedicated to the girls, I might just post a picture of a bruise. You ever see a prison movie where the big hairy guy drops the soap in front of the little guy in the shower and says pick it up? Carl wasn't the big hairy guy. Just got pummeled, and I do mean pummeled, by Zach Randolph all night long. Now I try to be colorful in these grades obviusly, but I am not exaggerating in any way when I say I am struggling to remember the last time any Kings' starter looked so completely helpless in the face of an opponent. Spencer vs. Dwight comes to mind, but this may have been even more of a mismatch. Started the game with a nice pass inside to Daly for a dunk as our two noted non passing bigs teamed up, but that was quite literally it for the highlights. Randolph just mauled him in there, pushed him wherever he wanted to push him, scored from point blank range, grabbed all the rebounds (literally -- Carl grabbed ZERO on the night), and the Grizzlies big frontline just squished him the few times he even pondered trying to counterattack. The telling part is that he was not being lazy -- he was battling int here with everything he had, but he just was simply not big and strong enough for this battle. Left early in the 3rd as he was just wholly ineffective. Brought him back in when Randolph went to the bench, and he promptly gave up an offensive rebound and finish to Darrel Arthur, who is not quite the intimidator. Just a terrible night for Carl, and one that cannot be forgotten soon enough.

Elisabetta Canalis -- Italian model who may or may not be George Clooney's gf of the moment -- I lose track. Still kind of a compliment though given the man's nearly limitless options.

Dalembert ( B+ ) -- big Sam was one of the few Kings not named Tyreke who showed up to play in this one, and fully justified the decision to start him. While he wasn't able to singlehandedly convert us to Boston West on defense, he slowed the scoring onslaught, meaning we gave up 100 rather than 110, and notched 8pts 12reb and 5blks while largely dominating the matchup with Marc Gasol, who looks like he was hanigng out at Donte's place for the summer. Some activeness inside on offense early, but it took a little while for the defense to begin to have an effect (ironic since we were hoping to get off to the better defensive start with him in there, and they still scored 30 in the 1st). Began to time things though, erased a Conley drive with a shotblock, and some good defensive work intimidating when not blocking shots, and calling out instructions to the guys ahead of him. Surprised by flashing a little bit of skill as a passer, once dropping the nice dare I say Vlade/Darkoesque interior pass to a cutting Casspi, but Casspi blew the layup. One man defensive stand against Randolph in the early 3rd, getting two blocks on one posession and trying to give the fans something to get excited about. Added in several more nice defensive plays, both blocks and steals, along with a smattering of the sort of shaky decisions that the always forgiving Philly fans chose to define him by -- a goaltending call, called for offensive screening for holding back the entire Grizz front line so Beno(?) could score a layup etc.. I however choose not to condemn for the mistakes (including 5 TOs) but rather to celebrate for the good tough interior work he gave us on a night when guys giving us good minutes were few and far between.

Dayana Mendoza -- I generally don't pay much attention to the Miss Universe paegeant, but I think there was some controversy or the other involving Miss Universe 2008, and she is a little bit on the pretty side, so Pretty Girls theme here we come.

Udrih ( D ) -- and here was one of those inexcplicable bad games that left Reke out there pretty much playing a 2 on 5 game with Cisco. Mike Conley had looked better in the early season so far, but there was no call for Beno to be this badly overmatched. Missed two early jumpers, but came up with a nice d-reb and quick bounce pass to Casspi on the breakout for his onyl numbers in the early going. Thought he was going to wake up as there were a few sings of life in the early 2nd as he ran the team with Reke resting, but you know that smooth flow he often has in that role? Not there at all. Got one of his little pullups to go, made a nice pass for an assist, but he seemed intimidated by Memphis's size up front, neer could hit from outside and seemed ot lack confidence in it, and could never contain Conley's quickness on defense. Late in the game seemed so lacking in confidence that he seemed ot be just throwing the ball back to Tyreke rather than attacking himself, and saying you do it kid. Two of our top 4 scorers (Landry the other) basically gave us nothing tonight.

Kacey Barnfield -- Cute little British accent too. I mean come on now.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Evans ( A ) -- this was a really strong game by Reke right from the beginning. Not perfect mind you, but really strong, on both sides of the ball. If he had just gotten any help, just any help, this is the sort of game from a #1 option that should win it for you. Seemed very comfortable out there from the beginning, and in the early going was repeatedly penetrating at will and dropping passes off to our bigs for easy finishes at the rim (a minor, but perhaps eventually critical development BTW, because if he, and they, are able to execute that consitently, it means that opposing bigs won't be able to rotate as hard on his pentration, which means trouble for them). Made a mistake to close the 1st quarter, racing full court to try a layup, and get it blocked, with 19 seconds to go when he could have pulled it up and gotten the last shot of the quarter. Really battling inside to get o-rebs and steals around the offensive glass, and just too big and strong for Mayo, who is of course mostly a SG. Forceful again upon his return later in the half, immediately coming up with a steal and then a dunk off the outlet pass from Daly. As our offense really began to struggle, just started doing it on his own, and showed a nice looking jumper that went in more than it did not tonight. Through it all he was playing some strong defense on Mayo, who you barely knew was out there for much of the night. Again struggled on the final play of a quarter as he bumbled and stumbled and lost the ball on the final shot of the half after he ran into his own screen setter. We really struggled in the third, and the team really just started turning to Evans to save them after awhile. You could see it, nobody else was going, and so they were just throwing it back to him. Great D on the final Grizzlies poossession of the third, stifling Conley and coming up with the steal. Came back in in the mid 4th and immediately placed on Gay to try to cool him, not very successfully, then splashed in a three. That was the appropriate use of the star on star defense btw. Wait until crunchtime, and then give it a shot, but Gay was just too big for him. Mixed bag down the stretch as he was having to force the action every time, but he kept attacking, and came up with great steal from Randolph under the Memphis hoop and layin with 45 seconds to go. We just never felt dangerous though. So we lost, but I have a feeling this is just the tip of the Reke iceberg. You could just see this game lurking there in the earlier outings, and if it ever becomes habitual, we aren't going to be losing them too often.

Jessica Burciaga -- oops, wrong sport. Oh darn.

Bench
Cousins ( D- ) -- this was almsot the absolute worst case scenario for our move to start Daly. Daly played well, but DeMarcus reacted to likely his first time playing off the ebnch in his basketball by life by just flat out stinking up the joint. And we've seen him be stinky for stretches before, but always in the past he has had that big charge down the stretch or whatever to change your whole perception of his outing. Not this time. Worse yet, not only was there not much offense, but we were using a zone to cover for him while he was at center. He comes in, so does the zone. And the reason was pretty clear -- we still haven't found out who he can cover. About the only thing that did remain at the same level for him were the fouls, as he managed to rakc up 5 again in 22 minutes, including his third on yet another attempt to take a charge -- hands down mind you. He's always trying to protect hismelf rather than sticking those 6'11" arms in the air and at least obscuring the guy's view of the hoop. Had no rebounds at all before half. Was back in in the thrid for the ineffective Landry as we tried various experimental big lineups all night long, and a lot fo Daly/Cuz together, but quickly got called for shuffling his feet, took a wild shot against Gasol, and insisted on attacking Thabeet right in his post where he is strongest rather than using the jumper. Was worried he was going to get no cruchtime time to redeem himself at all with Daly playing so well in the middle, but we brought him back as a PF instead of a C to make it happen. Unfortunately nothing in fact did happen, the highlight being a good steal at the 2:36 mark and got himself fouled. The lowlight being when he promptly missed both the Fts and left us 10 back and running out of time. Just a bad, sloppy outing, and you have to hope it was just a fluke and not a trend of how he's going to come off that bench. He's got a whole side of a building with his face on it. He's got to be far better than this.

Alessandra Ambrosio -- have I used her before? I forget. Be a real tragedy if I had of course.

Cisco ( B+ ) -- again Reke's wingman on the evening, and makes you wonder why we don't consider it more strongly as a natural starting pairing. Came right in and splashed in a jumper, but went silent for a long stretch therafter. Hit a much needed three in the mid-2nd -- much needed because with all the Jason at SF stuff our outside shooting was lacking. Was hustling on defense, as always, and came up with several nice little man help blocks (the Sacramento Kings, beleive it or not came up wiht 10 blocks on the night). But despite the hustle, had his struggles, uable to stay in front of Conley in the third (not even close), and got simply overwhelmed by the bigger, stronger, better athlete when we tried him on Gay down the stretch. Got pummeled really. Hit his shots pretty well in the second half, which made him almost unique amongst the Kings, but it should be noted that despite 50% shooting, this wasn't a bomb raining can't miss outing -- only shot 3-9 from 3pt land. And it was a limited, almost dare I say Kevinesque statline overall, with no assists, only 2rebs. He was the designated shooter.

Manuela Velasco -- Spanish TV presenter, and star of the cult horror film Rec (remade as Quarantine in the U.S.)

Jackson ( B- ) -- now just flat ahead of JT at PF (obviously since Jason is now a SF). Offensively punchless aside from one layin off a Reke dropoff pass, nonetheless came in in place of Carl and did his job. Very physical play in there at PF wrestling with Randolph, and while he didn't exactly win that battle he was at least giving Zach something to think about. Along his way grabbed more than his fair share of boards, and again just managed to be the middling but classic thick bodied power playing PF battler for us.

AnnaLynne McCord -- and sorry, she is going to have to serve for both Darnell and Jason since certain mean, nasty, and inconsiderate site owners only allow 4 pictures per post, and I'm not starting a thrid post just for 1 grade.

Thompson ( C+ ) -- poor Jason, not only exiled from his natural position in a cheap stunt to avoid playing Donte, but doesn't even get a Prettty Girl for his trouble. In as a SF to start the 2nd, scored on a 3pt play off a Reke dropoff and got a shotblcok as well. Almost got clocked by a vicious Darell Arthur swung elbow off the rebound. Running some nice two man stuff with Beno along the left block, and overall an effective first stint. Well..offensively. You see the Grizzlies had this guy go off for 32pts 9rebs, and after he got done working over Omri, we decided to start throwing our backup PF at him so he could feel like he had caught us in a defensive switch everytime and free himself at will. It was excellent strategy. Really. I think its fair to say I do not think there was any merit to that personnel decicion, but I do think there was some merit to Jason's game tonight. Nothing spectacular, but he helped a little.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Reke had a superstar line tonight, Dally and Cisco were great. But yeah, WTF rest of team?

Landy: F. Maybe we can do trade backsies with the Rockets for Martin. Kev is a way better rebounder.

Tonight the Kings looked like a run of the mill cellar-dweller lottery team with one really good potential all-star player and a bunch of scrub-whatever/forgetful other players. I'm all for Tyreke being as great as he is or can be, but they Kings really never looked good at all in this one. :(

Its a lot easier to count the things that went wrong tonight, rather than went right.....and the Kings only lost by 9!

L

LWP777

What an awful game. They came out flat and were really never in this game. I can't believe I wasted my Saturday night watching that crap.

PW needs to go. Horrible line ups all game! WTF is this man thinking?
No he doesn't. He's a good coach, and to be fair he is actually settling on a consistent rotation (which is what we all wanted isn't it?). The only thing you can really blame him for is not giving Donte a chance to play. For everything else, there's mastercard.

I attended the game and sat in the lower level. Here are a few observations -

1 - The three big man lineup doesn't work. There were various combinations out there, none of them worked. You would think that having a power forward at the three would at least help on offense, but Thompson just couldn't take advantage of being guarded by Gay and likewise, had a problem guarding Gay on defense.
2 - We're really lacking athleticism at the three. I think this hurts our fast break game.
3 - You really can never have Dalembert and Jackson on the floor at the same time. Both are just terrible offensive players. The ball just doesn't have enough places to go on offense when they're both in.
4 - The refs really didn't do us any favors.
5 - The team seems out of sync offensively. I think this has to do with the fact that we had Dalembert and Jackson on the floor at the same time for at least a third of the game.
6 - We have to get over the fact that Landry really isn't a starting PF. He is a very good 6th man/scorer. That's probably his limit.
7 - DeMarcus Cousins struggles against decent big men because he lacks explosiveness. Marc Gasol will never be confused with Dwight Howard but he did a good job against Cousins.
8 - If Francisco Garcia is your second best player, you're probably no better than a 22 or 23 win team.

The team I watched tonight is a 23 win team. I hope that they can make improvements.

No he doesn't. He's a good coach, and to be fair he is actually settling on a consistent rotation (which is what we all wanted isn't it?). The only thing you can really blame him for is not giving Donte a chance to play. For everything else, there's mastercard.
Consistantly crappy rotation is not what we want

I attended the game and sat in the lower level. Here are a few observations -

1 - The three big man lineup doesn't work. There were various combinations out there, none of them worked. You would think that having a power forward at the three would at least help on offense, but Thompson just couldn't take advantage of being guarded by Gay and likewise, had a problem guarding Gay on defense.
2 - We're really lacking athleticism at the three. I think this hurts our fast break game.
3 - You really can never have Dalembert and Jackson on the floor at the same time. Both are just terrible offensive players. The ball just doesn't have enough places to go on offense when they're both in.
4 - The refs really didn't do us any favors.
5 - The team seems out of sync offensively. I think this has to do with the fact that we had Dalembert and Jackson on the floor at the same time for at least a third of the game.
6 - We have to get over the fact that Landry really isn't a starting PF. He is a very good 6th man/scorer. That's probably his limit.
7 - DeMarcus Cousins struggles against decent big men because he lacks explosiveness. Marc Gasol will never be confused with Dwight Howard but he did a good job against Cousins.
8 - If Francisco Garcia is your second best player, you're probably no better than a 22 or 23 win team.

The team I watched tonight is a 23 win team. I hope that they can make improvements.
Good observations. In the commentary either Grant or Jerry (I've forgotten) said that Tyreke was one of our best perimeter shooters. If that's the case, you're probably no better than a 22 or 23 win team too.

There's a terrible trend going on here. Of course they aren't playoff ready yet, but the individual players that have been killing us this year are guys that Donte Greene would have been assigned to last year. WTF! What is going on with him?!?

Bricklayer

There's a terrible trend going on here. Of course they aren't playoff ready yet, but the individual players that have been killing us this year are guys that Donte Greene would have been assigned to last year. WTF! What is going on with him?!?

Got me thinking/going back over who hurt us the worst in our 6 games so far. Since Donte was dropped in the Hudson with concrete galoshes before Game 2 against the Nets, these have been the largest culprits:

New Jersey: C Lopez & PG Harris (neither a Donte assignment)
Cleveland: PG Sessions & PG Gibson (neither a Donte assignment)
Toronto: WIMP Bargnani 28pts & SG DeRozan 24pts (both Donte assignments)
Lakers: SG Bryant 30pts (Donte assignment)
Memphis: SF Gay 32pts (Donte assignment) & PF Randolph 20pts (not Donte assignment)

essentially in the last 3 games we've had guys go off for 28, 30, and now 32 pts, not to mention DeRozan's 24pts in support, that Donte would be a natural, and indeed perhaps our best/most logical option to guard (Anotine Wright would have an argument on Kobe/Derozan but can't do anything else, except maybe drink and drive). His exile is bizarre.

Last edited:
The good news: Tyreke was great.
Wow, you... like... really think so? :eek: Amazing.
I saw the Kings game after a long timeout (since the previous season), and I'm very sorry to say: Reke's decision making has not improved. Nice stats, OK. But, was not a great game for him, no way.
Regarding Greene, I really don't know what's the story, but there must be something. Anyway, I don't think he can help to win something.
Landry was awful.
Cousins was awful.
Casspi didn't hit from 3.
Garsia - the only (including Tyreke) bright spot.

PW GETS F!
the team has no ball movment at all.
I mean in this game if some one was lucky to get the ball he threw it right away, even from half court (well, we were lucky once but lets don't make a habit out of it)..
DMC looked like he wanna kill himself, it was probably the first time since he was 8 years old he didn't open.
at half time his chin touched the ground...

Brick: Like the rest of the posters here I too was ticked off with our loss to Memphis in tonight's game, but after reading your grading post you made it easier to swallow. Not only do we get to see your current line-up of pretty girls but we also you give us humor to ease our pain. "Marc Gasol, who looks like he was hanging out at Donte's place"! Priceless!

It is painfully obvious the Kings are a high level player short of being reasonably good. That Memphis team last night had Mayo-Gay-Randolph as scoring options. The Kings have Reke period. Cisco can knock down on open shot now and then but rarely makes his own shot. Martin could score but cost them in other places. The need an offensive threat that doesn't throw up 3 pointers from his waist.

Landry is starting to look like a combo between Rahim and Kenny in their King's days. Uh oh.

This is why fans don't come to Arco. Waste of money and time to watch a stinker. Dalembert and Jackson should never be on the floor at the same time. Westphal left them in there for way too long in the third quarter. I felt like the Kings really could have staged a good run in that third quarter but just could not get any buckets with the two worst offensive players in the lineup at the same time.

Wow, you... like... really think so? :eek: Amazing.
I saw the Kings game after a long timeout (since the previous season), and I'm very sorry to say: Reke's decision making has not improved. Nice stats, OK. But, was not a great game for him, no way.
Regarding Greene, I really don't know what's the story, but there must be something. Anyway, I don't think he can help to win something.
Landry was awful.
Cousins was awful.
Casspi didn't hit from 3.
Garsia - the only (including Tyreke) bright spot.
How backwards do you have to be to question a 2nd year player's decision-making in this particular game?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Got me thinking/going back over who hurt us the worst in our 6 games so far. Since Donte was dropped in the Hudson with concrete galoshes before Game 2 against the Nets, these have been the largest culprits:

New Jersey: C Lopez & PG Harris (neither a Donte assignment)
Cleveland: PG Sessions & PG Gibson (neither a Donte assignment)
Toronto: WIMP Bargnani 28pts & SG DeRozan 24pts (both Donte assignments)
Lakers: SG Bryant 30pts (Donte assignment)
Memphis: SF Gay 32pts (Donte assignment) & PF Randolph 20pts (not Donte assignment)

essentially in the last 3 games we've had guys go off for 28, 30, and now 32 pts, not to mention DeRozan's 24pts in support, that Donte would be a natural, and indeed perhaps our best/most logical option to guard (Anotine Wright would have an argument on Kobe/Derozan but can't do anything else, except maybe drink and drive). His exile is bizarre.
Last year Westphal had no problem putting Donte on the likes of Lebron, Kobe, Carmello, Gay etc..... Now we just let these guys have their will against us as Donte watches and smiles and we lose 2 straight against 2 of those players while they go for 30+. Am I wrong or was that one thing that did work last year was Donte's defense???

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I was very impressed with the Grizzlies. They are a playoff team. Four games in five nights and they went through the Kings like butter.

Who would you like on your team -

Zach Randolph or Landry (or Thompson)? Randolph can pulverize either one of them. If Cousins likes Paul Gasol's game, he should also look at Randolph as a model - the guy imparts pain to his opponents, literally.

Beno or Conley? Not even close. Conley has the quickness on offense and defense that Beno can't deal with. Conley is just now coming into his own.

Gay or Casspi (or Garcia or Greene). Not even close. Total domination.

The center position you might give a bit of an edge to Dally, but not to the degree that Randolph, Conley and Gay dominate. Cousins is just an apprentice at this point.

The only guy the Kings have that can dominate the Grizzies is Tyreke. Three against one. Game over.

It's not coaching that lost the game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just a terrible game without much to like. Everything felt out of sync to me. Hopefully its just a bump in the the road. Dalembert was fine defensively, and made a couple of nice passes. His problem with passing the basketball is when he tries to get too creative. Personally I don't think having Dalembert and Landry on the floor at the same time is going to work. Neither is a good passer of the basketball, and Landry proved again that he has big trouble guarding the bigger PF's in the NBA. Randolph just abused him. I would have rather seen Thompson or even Jackson on Randolph. Preferly Thompson, who is capable of playing SF at times, but certainly not against someone as quick as Rudy Gay.

We lost the game because of turnovers. Someone said that most were unforced, but I disagree to a certain extent. Memphis tood the Kings out of their offensive sets and the Kings reacted poorly by trying to force things somewhere else, and many times that resulted in a turnover. Lets be clear! Memphis is a better team than the Kings right now. And guess what? Their starting lineup all played together last year. Meanwhile the Kings continue to rotate bodies in and out of their starting lineup. Until the Kings get some continuity in their starting lineup, this will never be a team. It'll just be five individuals on the floor at the same time.