Grades v. Bobcats 03/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Confucius say team that play no defense not deserve to win.

Theme tonight will be Potential Replacement Mascots should Slamson ever be abducted by aliens:

Artest ( B ) -- strong first quarter again, powering inside again and again, was actually having some probolems with Gerald, although got the better of him on several occasions poking balls away. Gave us extra possessions by repeatedly poking balls away. Decided to try out all kinds of shoes int eh final minute -- the hero shoes, for hittign a huge three that looked like it might win it. The goat shoes for missing a FT to open the door for the Bobcats, then blatantly running over Sean May out of a timeout for an offensive foul that largely finshed us. And then the martyr shoes for being wide open for a potential tying three in the final seconds, but being compoletely and maybe purposefuly ignored by Mike, who wanted to take it himself I think, and instead ended up dumping it to Kevin for a lousy low percentage challenged heave.

YOSEF THE MOUNTAINEER (Appalachian State University ) -- sucking on some moonshine at a game near you

Thomas ( D ) -- got lit up by Sean May in the early going, who is not a 20pt a night scorer. May was grabbing all the rebounds too. Pattern repeated in the third, and then Kenny had to elave the game because of a foot problme or some such. Which was a real "oh darn". Kenny: 5pts 1reb. May: 20pts 12reb. Hmm...

ANTHONY THE FIREANT (Fayetteville Fireantz (minor legaue hockey)) -- his mom sewed that together

Miller ( B- ) -- shrug of a first half but came muscling down with several true big man rebounds, and he also came up with 3 blocks tonight. Through three quarters was playing much like a true big man, although it should be noted the man he was outmuscling was Primoz Brezec, who would lose an arm wrestling contest with Eva Longoria. But down the stretch he just did not show up, and the no skill hustle of Jake Voskuhl proved much more difficult for him to handle than the tall finesse of Brezec. Not sure because it was an open court situation, but he might have also been the man who did not get out to challenge May for his backbreaking three in the last 30 seconds.

BILLY BREWER ((Burton Albion (British soccer)) -- gotta love the pure class

Martin ( A- ) -- did a nice job in the opening quarter in using his quickness to create for others, and closed the first half on a very efficient run, hitting everything and maybe getting a few friendly whistles. Not sure what happened after half, as he came out of the lockeroom looking out of sorts, and forcing shots out of rhythm. May have hurt his ankle as well on one drive. Missed some big shots down the stretch, and got beat along the baseline by Matt Carrol at a critical point in the last two minutes. Took our final desperation three point heave to try to reach OT, but it was heavily challenged and airballed. Thought B+ here for the shaky late play and some invisible defense, but liked the way he created shots for others tonight.

RATTLESNAKE (Florida A&M) -- I've been told that is a snake. With hair. Wearing a cheerleader outfit.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bibby ( C+ ) -- some sloppy turnovers in the early going, and a strangely quiet first half. Not awful quiet. Just quiet as in invisble and you wouldn't have even known he was out there quiet. But started the third much more active and scoring in a variety of ways. Ran off about 9-10 pts in 8 minutes. But then sat out for a long stretch thereafter with Salmons playign a key role, and after he returned...well he really didn't. Gave us nothing, and only showed up for a questionable play on the final possession fo the game where he appeared to intentionally ignore a wide open Ron at the three point line, perhaps in pique at Ron's won ballhogging, looked to be the hero himself, and had to settle for giving it to Kevin for a tough contested look that he had no real chance of hitting. Also had all sorts of issues on defense, pretty much as usual. Ended up with 1 assist out of our PG, and only the one strecth of scoring. Did help on the glass, but after thinking about it I decided I did not like this one.

YOUPPI! (multiple Montreal teams) -- apparently quite the phenom http://youtube.com/watch?v=LrEf1vH-F_o&mode=related&search=

Corliss ( B- ) -- came in and quickly grabbed a pair of rebounds, threw away a pair of turnovers, and hit a layup. Carried on to finish with an effective first half stint, but did little in the second half as this time it was Miller and Reef who were the big man combo getting the stretch minutes.

THE TREE (Stanford) -- how could any list of mascots be complete witout this...er...thing

Salmons ( B+ ) -- came in and in the second quarter had an impact in the running game and taking advanatage of mismatches. More impact in the early 4th as he made plays on both ends of the floor to open us back up a tad. Was actually maybe our best player for that stretch. Tell you the truth, I may have gone A- here had we won this one.

BIG RED (Western Kentucky) -- take an old Grimace costume out of the closet, spraypaint it red. Voila! Instant mascot. Well, at least it IS red.

Reef ( B- ) -- came in and initially again had trouble getting his shot up over the top of his opponents, but settled in and spotted in inside takes here and there against a variety of defenders who should not have stood much chance against him in there. Percetgaes sucked, rebounding sucked...and yet, this was a considerably better effort than last night. Better rounded. Made a few good passes, and made some all around plays down the stretch -- got a block, a rebound (gasp!), wasn't just about his scoring.

THE GODDESS ATHENA (Exeter City -- British Soccer) -- now that's my kind of mascot! In fact, let's just can that stupid lion right now.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Cisco ( C+ ) -- largely invisible in the first half, but did get one nice shotblock against Gerald I think, not much in his second stint, although did really bother Morrison wiht his length.

BIG MO (Montgomery Biscuits (minor league baseball)) -- not sure what Mo is supposed to be, he's described simply as a "Biscuit Lovin' Beast". But he makes this list for his physique bearing some resemblance to Tommy Lasorda's.

Price ( INC ) -- had a good start to his 2nd quarter stint, getting a steal, then hitting Salmons on the break. followed that up with an inexperienced turnover, and no second half minutes.

WHATZIT! (IZZY) (1996 Atlanta Olympics) -- remember this colossally bad idea?

Muss ( ) -- coming? Third quarter? Last few plays to win it?

CAYENNE (Louisiana Lafayette) -- oh why not, even if I don't flesh out Muss's comments. Still a walking cayenne pepper is at least original.

Last edited:
Aside from predictably missing the free-throw late, Artest lazily (and I must say stupidly) reached in to poke at Felton. The PG blew past him and left the Kings shorthanded. They scrambled around to switch while Artest was in the backcourt. This is why May was wide open for the 3. It was an F play at a time when the squad needed its best defensive player.

I've said it before on countless occasions -- No One loses the way the Kings do. It always hurts brand new.

Bricklayer

Wow, looking at just the grades, you wouldn't think we lost possibly the most disappointing game of the year. Besides Kenny's Daily "D," nobody got less than a C+
There is some inflation in all offense games, but while disappointing is real for fans, it has limited relevance for grades. If Kevin hits that last three does everybody get an automatic + or vice versa? The negative here is the level of competition. But otherwise, its a narrow loss lost in the last 30 secs -- and I think the grades are always going to be higher for that sort of thing than in a blowout where you can't even compete.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's All Over...

I think the Kings' players know that. They'll be playing Miami next. If Charlotte can compete with the Kings underneath, sans Okafor, what will Shaq and Miami do? Then Orlando, their 4th game in 5 nights. Unless Orlando absolutely gives them the game, the Kings will lose. Finally, the last game against Atlanta, in which the Kings will be dying to get home before the opening tip-off. Barring a miracle, I see a sweep, and that would be 7 consecutive losses. Even the die-hards should see that it's all about ping-pong balls with this team.

And if they do lose the 7 consecutive games, management should once and for all wave the white flag and tell the media that they are heavily encouraging Muss to play the young guys for next year.

Thank you Thank you Thank you, Bricklayer. I knew you were potentially doing mascots so I rushed home to read the grades. Awsome choices. I especially like the rattlesnake in a cheerleader's outfit. And that minor league mascot does resemble Tommy Lasorda (why are baseball mascots overweight?)

Oh and the Kings lost to the Bobcats. No comment necessary.

Bricklayer

I think the Kings' players know that. They'll be playing Miami next. If Charlotte can compete with the Kings underneath, sans Okafor, what will Shaq and Miami do? Then Orlando, their 4th game in 5 nights. Unless Orlando absolutely gives them the game, the Kings will lose. Finally, the last game against Atlanta, in which the Kings will be dying to get home before the opening tip-off. Barring a miracle, I see a sweep, and that would be 7 consecutive losses. Even the die-hards should see that it's all about ping-pong balls with this team.

And if they do lose the 7 consecutive games, management should once and for all wave the white flag and tell the media that they are heavily encouraging Muss to play the young guys for next year.

We'll see. Teams we are playing are stilll all messed up. We suck, but have at least been considerably healthy this year (makes our record all the worse).

We lost to the Cavs without LeBron.

We lost to the Cats without Okafor.

Next up is Miami without Wade.

And Atlanta should still be without Joe Johnson.

Damn near a solid sweep -- 4 of the 5 teams this trip missing their star players. Could not have it set up any cushier. And except for Okafor, not just stars either. Superstars. Now if we can just convince Orlando to sit Howard when we pass through town it will be a clean sweep.

Last edited:
Corliss ( B- ) -- came in and quickly grabbed a pair of rebounds, threw away a pair of turnovers, and hit a layup. Carried on to finish with an effective first half stint, but did little in the second half as this time it was Miller and Reef who were the big man combo getting the stretch minutes.

THE TREE (Stanford) -- how could any list of mascots be complete witout this...er...thing
[/B]
Yes!

We'll see. Teams we are playing are stilll all messed up. We suck, but have at least been considerably healthy this year (makes our record all the worse).

Damn near a solid sweep -- 4 of the 5 teams this trip missing their star players. Could not have it set up any cushier. And except for Okafor, not just stars either. Superstars. Now if we can just convince Orlando to sit Howard when we pass through town it will be a clean sweep.
Viva Lottery!

Bricklayer

Shucks, I was hoping my UCSC Banana Slugs would make the cut.
A notable omission. Would have at the very least have beat out the Cayenne pepper thing had I thought about it. Then again, I know little enough about mascots and generally ignore them, so I did not even know what he/she/it looked like. ;)

As an aside, my own college mascot -- the oh so intimidating Penn Quaker -- was briefly kidnapped earlier this year by those retrograde juvenile delinquents at that second rate excuse for a university, Brown: :mad: :

Even included a hostage video :D :

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=5058342405158765379&hl=en

Last edited:

The Kings arrived in Miami last night so thats almost 2 days they get to party in Miami. Anybets on how many guys look like they partied both days?;)

I just don't get it. Why is everyone wanting the lottery? Can you guarantee me if the Kings get a good draft that this guy will be good? I know many are thinking about Oden. Will he be like Lebron and start playing good in his first year in the NBA like Lebron was in his first year? I really don't get what all the hype is about having the Kings lose.

IMO, the Kings aren't going to get a good lottery pick. Our team doesn't have the worst record. There are 10 other teams that have a worse record than the Kings.

I hope Petrie does some major rebuilding. Trading any of the Kings except for Martin. And it wouldn't even break my heart if they fired Musselman, which I hope they do.

Bricklayer

I just don't get it. Why is everyone wanting the lottery? Can you guarantee me if the Kings get a good draft that this guy will be good? I know many are thinking about Oden. Will he be like Lebron and start playing good in his first year in the NBA like Lebron was in his first year? I really don't get what all the hype is about having the Kings lose.

IMO, the Kings aren't going to get a good lottery pick. Our team doesn't have the worst record. There are 10 other teams that have a worse record than the Kings.

I hope Petrie does some major rebuilding. Trading any of the Kings except for Martin. And it wouldn't even break my heart if they fired Musselman, which I hope they do.

The lottery is the NBA's great springboard -- a trampouline set up to reboudn bad teams back up the other way. If you're a bad team you absolutely SHOULD look forward to the lottery, because its a free player, maybe a free stud. In a trade, you have to give soemthign to get something. Maybe you give away a guy who's a "5" to get a guy who's a "7" or whatever. In free agency, you have to win a bidding war and hope the guy liked you. But the lottery, you get a free guy. And in a draft like this one, which is considered one of the strongest in a long time, if you're in the top 10 you might be talking about a 60 or 70 percent chance of drafting a long time starter, maybe even a star. And he's "free" -- just gets added to your talent at no cost. And that's before we even get to the Oden and Durant superstars who might singlehandedly turn your whole franchise around. Its a much MUCh more exciting/interesting thing than muddling through mediocrity. Just a little luck...

Kingster

Hall of Famer

The way this season has gone, the Kings will lose the next 3 games and still be in the playoff hunt. Maybe a team with a .400 record "wins" the 8th spot. I wonder what the record is for the worst record to every get a playoff berth?

don't get it or don't agree?

Assuming the Kings need to be at about 500 to get into the playoffs, they need to close the season 13-5 to get there. That's...not going to happen.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

There are no guarantees. It's all about probability. We could pick a lousy player, but that's pretty doubtful given Petrie's record and the strength of this year's draft. We could pick a good player and he could have a career-ending injury. There is no certainty. But the earlier we pick in the draft, the less of the chance of getting a bust. And the injury thing can happen to a high or low draft pick. It's a strawman to talk about Oden and Lebron. Given that line of thinking we should just trade the pick every year - give it away - because after all the pick won't be Lebron or Oden. And as it's been said over and over again on this board, you have no chance of getting a superstar - NONE - except through the draft. You aren't going to get one through FA, and you're not going to get one through trade. I'll take a 5% chance of getting a superstar over 0%.

If you want to build around Martin, then you have to consider his age, 23. You want young players to build with him so they can all mature around the same time. That implies building through the draft, trading for young up-and-comers, and obtaining young FAs.

hell, it could be argued that Mitch Richmond WAS an "elite" sg. But trying to build a STRONG team (much less a chamionship team) around him was the height of futility. Lets not go down THAT road again ! :eek:

Bricklayer

I think the tipping factor for guards is almost always the "make others better" thing. Which can roughly be measured by assists. Roughly. The superstar MJ class of SG/SFs invariably have stat lines that look something like 26pts 6reb 6ast or some such. The lesser players, guys who are just very very good scorers, look more like 24 4 and 3. And it makes a major difference. Mitch was a great OG, but he was just south of that superstar level. He could score, defend, do it all, but he couldn't consistently elevate his weaker teammates. Few can. Kobe can. MJ could. Pippen, TMac, Drexler, LeBron, Wade. Guys who really fill up the stat sheet. Guys like Mitch (then) or Allen (now) are just a half step behind there. 4 ast type players withotu the great natural feel for it. And guys like Rip Hamilton or Kevin (currently) a half step further.

Last edited:
And as it's been said over and over again on this board, you have no chance of getting a superstar - NONE - except through the draft. You aren't going to get one through FA, and you're not going to get one through trade. I'll take a 5% chance of getting a superstar over 0%.
Exactly. I'd even take a 1% chance. Its not like its costing money to take that shot. Making a low seed in the playoffs is exciting for a team on the way up. Its not fun when your on the way down and other teams are climbing over you.

Status
Not open for further replies.