Grade our draft

What grade do you give the front office for draft night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not disagreeing with you, I just think the plan for right now is to wait one season until all of these contracts turn into cap space. It's not an accident that they were all signed to contracts that expire during the same off-season, This is how competent front offices manage the salary cap. There will be room to add more long-term projects next year. Monte didn't sell the #37 pick for cash, he turned it into 2 future picks. I wouldn't assume those are both Dallas' own picks until we know the details. Even if they both end up being in the 45-60 range, trading one pick for two means we're not automatically losing value.
They have already said they were Dallas 2nds. Essentially worthless

Len and Harkless are already under contract. Either we cut them, trade them, or they're on the team next year. My suspicion is that Monte wants to keep his cap space either for free agency next off-season or to make a deadline deal which means most of these expiring contracts will stay on the roster for the year and we'll have a lot of roster spots available next season and sufficient cap space to make use of them at that time.

I get that we're conditioned to Kings front offices not understanding the salary cap or continually shooting themselves in the foot chasing short-term success but there's a completely logical explanation for the way Monte handled the second round of the draft this year that doesn't involve cutting costs or owner meddling.
If you look at a team like GS (yeah yeah), they were going to lose KG so they took on a crap ton of money for a player that really had no business on the team just so they could use it as a future asset despite being a repeat luxury offender. To that end cutting players under contract and losing their cap value makes absolutely zero sense. Look at what the Lakers have done despite having some very high end all NBA talent, they have zero dollars to spend on the other 9 players that make up a game day lineup.

I get that Monte's approach isn't going to win over hungry fans but it's really about avoiding the pitfalls that got us where we are in the first place.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just think the plan for right now is to wait one season until all of these contracts turn into cap space. It's not an accident that they were all signed to contracts that expire during the same off-season, This is how competent front offices manage the salary cap. There will be room to add more long-term projects next year.
That's kind of my hope next season and if the Kings are better or worse than intended hopefully maximizing them at the deadline. And if that were the case then there was literally no reason not to take a shot on 37 since they are intending to basically come in the same next season with Murray as the one change. I'm not sure that's the case however. I was interested to see if Monte went trade value in the draft and/or attempted to make a big move. He didn't, he wanted Murray above all else which completely limited his trade options and I doubt the intentions will be to make a splash using Murray/Mitchell/picks at the deadline. It's probably not even an option at this point. Since that were the case it might actually make more sense to use that MLE this summer on a win now guy, in particular at SG. I know there's been smoke about their interest in Oladipo this summer. That could make sense but would obviously involve some sweet talking and a starting role. I wouldn't mind it. They'll still have some space next summer although likely not full max.

TBD on 49. The film looks okay. I don’t see a steal there. Not sure how they’re going to convince the dude to come over and take a pay cut. Not sure he’s worth paying more than the normal to bring over here.
I read somewhere that Sasha's Euro contract is for $900K per year with NBA opt outs in 2022 and 2023.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for the Kings to use part of their MLE to sign Sasha to something like a $7 million/3 year contract. That should be enough to lure him over to give the NBA a try. If it doesn't work out, he made an extra $5 million and can return home to continue in the Euro league career.

Since you signed Ellis as a free agent how does he fit in the draft grade? He wasn’t drafted.
Oh jeez lighten up.

I heavily scouted one podcast to get a read on the first round picks and didn't give any thought to potential second round picks leading up to the draft. No part of my grade is credible.

I read somewhere that Sasha's Euro contract is for $900K per year with NBA opt outs in 2022 and 2023.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for the Kings to use part of their MLE to sign Sasha to something like a $7 million/3 year contract. That should be enough to lure him over to give the NBA a try. If it doesn't work out, he made an extra $5 million and can return home to continue in the Euro league career.
does MLE apply on first contract ?

B.. .I am glad we didn't take Ivey unless we were trading him or trading Fox. But our team still sucks, and is no fun to watch at the moment. We have core players who seem to always be out half of every season so I am not sure why we are trying to build around players that are always out half the season. It's kind of stupid imo but oh well.

B.. .I am glad we didn't take Ivey unless we were trading him or trading Fox. But our team still sucks, and is no fun to watch at the moment. We have core players who seem to always be out half of every season so I am not sure why we are trying to build around players that are always out half the season. It's kind of stupid imo but oh well.
Which core players are those that are always out half the season?

I don’t mind the Murray pick. He fits really well with Fox and Sabonis. He is a mature kid, quiet, hardowrking. He was up against it from the start but he went from untanked to one of the best kids in his draft class. He is that 4/3 with a sweet shot. I think with his work ethic and mature head, he will be in this league for a very long time. I think his ceiling is higher thanmany think.

In the medium to long term, I see a better defending Tobias Harris and to me thats a pretty darn good player. I quite like the pick.

I like the trade with CLE. Whether we get the plYer to come over or not is debatable but you never know.

Pick 37 I don’t get. That should have been swing for the fences move and if you are really worried about roster spots, its a great spot to draft and stash. There are many young kids in Europe that will play in the NBA in 3-5 years time. Draft one and let them develop over there. That was basically giving away a very good pick for sweet bugger all!

This team stillhas a LOT of work to do!

dude12

Hall of Famer
I gave it an A. I was on the Murray side though for awhile. Turned 37 into 2 seconds and he uses those seconds in trades.

If we took Ivey I probably would have given that an A as well tbh. But I was also of the opinion that both Murray and Ivey were in a tier together but fit wise, Murray brings so many things we needed. And the potential influx of wings is great. Ivey would have compounded a problem we previously had with Haliburton and cost this team a half year to year before moving someone like Sabonis.

Really excited to see Murray cutting and receiving passes from Sabonis.

Sure. Only thing is Monte gives off a lot of I haven't spoken to him vibes when asked about him. Sounds more like cash considerations > the Euro dude.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sure. Only thing is Monte gives off a lot of I haven't spoken to him vibes when asked about him. Sounds more like cash considerations > the Euro dude.
To be fair, it had only been two days since he trade for his rights, one of those being the draft when I’m sure Monte was otherwise occupied, and Sasha is still technically a free agent that we have exclusive rights to but have to pretend is a feee agent anyways.

I don’t mind the Murray pick. He fits really well with Fox and Sabonis. He is a mature kid, quiet, hardowrking. He was up against it from the start but he went from untanked to one of the best kids in his draft class. He is that 4/3 with a sweet shot. I think with his work ethic and mature head, he will be in this league for a very long time. I think his ceiling is higher thanmany think.

In the medium to long term, I see a better defending Tobias Harris and to me thats a pretty darn good player. I quite like the pick.

I like the trade with CLE. Whether we get the plYer to come over or not is debatable but you never know.

Pick 37 I don’t get. That should have been swing for the fences move and if you are really worried about roster spots, its a great spot to draft and stash. There are many young kids in Europe that will play in the NBA in 3-5 years time. Draft one and let them develop over there. That was basically giving away a very good pick for sweet bugger all!

This team stillhas a LOT of work to do!
Totes. And Keegan’s off-ball movement is probably an under valued and under appreciated skill.

Also - thanks for the new term: “untanked”. I hope the Kings will be untanking this year.

I’m fine with the Murray pick. Right now it’s a solid B. It’s not sexy, but I think that’s partly just because of the pre draft hype train around Ivey and dreams of unrealistic trades that I think most of us had (myself included). The only one I’ve heard that seemed likely to be on the table was 6 and Duarte from the Pacers. So would I rather have Duarte and Matherin/Daniels/Sochan or Murray? I’m not convinced Duarte is ever much better than the player we saw the first half of his rookie year….which was a nice but unspectacular player. I could make a case for Matherin/Daniels/Sochan ending up better than Murray in 3 years, but I would prefer the bet on Murray. Further, if I take it to the next logical step and think if we have Duarte, do we likely let Daunte leave in free agency? That all seems like a wash and you’re coming out of draft day without the prospect you had rated highest.

So, I guess what I’m saying is I think Monte played it as I would have, it’s just the Murray pick ends up being “Meh” after initial high expectations. Picking Ivey would have filled me with hopes of being everyone’s league pass darling, but definitely was a worse fit, they aren’t as good next year, and I’m not convinced he’s ever a significantly better player than Murray will be.

Trading the 37th pick was really what ticked me off more than anything. In 3 years that’s probably a nothingburger, but good teams pick players in the second round and try to develop them. I don’t care if it was Hardy or someone else.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I always love the morning after draft grades. Without 1 min of actual NBA playtime to draw on writers substitute conjecture and rely on a "consensus" generated by a bunch of writers mostly cribbing notes from other writers. To then attempt to critically evaluate the picks based upon which general managers did what they thought they would do or did not take the player they thought they should take. And call them winners or losers for matching the opinion that they had borrowed before the draft themselves.

I always love the morning after draft grades. Without 1 min of actual NBA playtime to draw on writers substitute conjecture and rely on a "consensus" generated by a bunch of writers mostly cribbing notes from other writers. To then attempt to critically evaluate the picks based upon which general managers did what they thought they would do or did not take the player they thought they should take. And call them winners or losers for matching the opinion that they had borrowed before the draft themselves.
I was going to say this as well lol. Writers grading a draft based on a consensus that was formed by only the writers themselves, and how closely the decisions that GMs made matched their consensus.

I think most are docking based on the 37th pick. That hardly takes waiting to comment.

I’ve watched more than a few suggest Murray would have been there at 7 which seems highly unlikely to me.
Yeah, no way. The only chance was to at least try and snag something out of Detroit if possible. The ultra value Monte was seeking wasn't because he felt the pick was that valuable, it was because they wanted Murray that bad. Now we see how it works from here.

Would you have been happier if he drafted him at 37 instead?

It most like went down as we can draft him or trade the picks into the future then sign him as an undrafted.
Nope. Draft at 37 and sign the other kid as a free agent. See who is better. Again we have roster spots. Or draft a good young Euro and stash in Europe

I believe this is a good pick but I said the same thing about Bagley over Doncic. However, I think Murray has way way more potential than Bagley...so I am optimistic about this pick and give it an A.

I believe this is a good pick but I said the same thing about Bagley over Doncic. However, I think Murray has way way more potential than Bagley...so I am optimistic about this pick and give it an A.
I mean, I think if we picked Ivey that would of been more like picking Bagley over Doncic. With Bagley, we picked the hyper athlete with a lot of supposed "potential."The stuff they said about Doncic is the same stuff they are saying about Murray. Now I don't think Murray will be Doncic, but a high iq player that does every well is often overlooked.

At the time, you must have thought that Bagley had at least as much potential as Murray.....otherwise you wouldn't have thought that he was a good pick over Doncic. Unless you're implying that you would have picked Murray #1, had he been in the 2018 draft?

I’m really happy with Murray but disappointed in the second round sell off. We have to start developing some younger pieces so that if we ever get to the playoffs we have some assets to trade for a bigger piece. Right now it’s just Queta and maybe Metu if he ever finds consistency. Maybe we will do more of that starting next year.