Grade our draft

What grade do you give the front office for draft night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you look at a team like GS (yeah yeah), they were going to lose KG so they took on a crap ton of money for a player that really had no business on the team just so they could use it as a future asset despite being a repeat luxury offender. To that end cutting players under contract and losing their cap value makes absolutely zero sense. Look at what the Lakers have done despite having some very high end all NBA talent, they have zero dollars to spend on the other 9 players that make up a game day lineup.

I get that Monte's approach isn't going to win over hungry fans but it's really about avoiding the pitfalls that got us where we are in the first place.
Trust me when I say this, I am VERY hungry. I am VERY hungry, AND I am VERY thirsty. But I am not going to crap all over Monte and his approach. Because I can see the potential long-term benefits coming out of it. Yes, I want the Kings to get a taste of the playoffs once again. But I don't want them to get a taste, and then immediately go back to forgetting what the hell that taste is. I want this to turn into long term success. I want us to be a consistent playoff team for 10+ seasons. I want us to become the next great dynasty. I want us to be the next San Antonio Spurs.

Throwing random crap out there that are merely "projects" or 1 or 2 year deals ain't going to get us there. We need to establish a stable core around which we can build. We're never going to get to that point if we are banking on drafting second round "projects", or signing guys to 1 or 2 year deals, hoping one of them will pan out.

I'm changing my C to an A. The Monk signing has me hyped. He's breaking out and will continue to do so. Our back court is going to be dynamic and fun to watch. If Murray can be useful on both ends in the front court, and I'm sure some of his skills will translate to the NBA on both ends, our future is bright. I finally feel like we turned a corner. Now let's just settle into some stability for once and see how it goes.

I'm changing my C to an A. The Monk signing has me hyped. He's breaking out and will continue to do so. Our back court is going to be dynamic and fun to watch. If Murray can be useful on both ends in the front court, and I'm sure some of his skills will translate to the NBA on both ends, our future is bright. I finally feel like we turned a corner. Now let's just settle into some stability for once and see how it goes.
Not intending to be annoying, but I must ask...How does a free agent signing impact a draft grade? Meaning...How can you change your initial grade of a "C" just for drafting Murray and trading our 2nd round picks, to an "A" because of what happened the week after? To me, both are independent, and shouldn't have any impact on the other's "grade".

Not intending to be annoying, but I must ask...How does a free agent signing impact a draft grade? Meaning...How can you change your initial grade of a "C" just for drafting Murray and trading our 2nd round picks, to an "A" because of what happened the week after? To me, both are independent, and shouldn't have any impact on the other's "grade".
Tampering.

To some degree anticipating what spots are easier to fill with talent during free agency is relevant to who you draft, especially if you like two picks similarly.

At the end of the day, the whole off season is a single event. Just show me the final results.

Also, I was originally worried most of Murray's skill set wouldn't translate to the NBA and he would simply end up being a fine role player. Now I think his skill set will just allow him to find a way to exploit whichever weaknesses opponents' defenses have.