Go Grizzlies! (Kings Related)

OMG, you're a hater. SMH. Maybe since I'm from the bay and i have some love for the warriors, I am rooting for them all the way. I think it would put nor cal basketball on the map if they win a championship. This region have seen numerous football and baseball championships, we need to see some basketball championships.

But with that said, I understand your point-you want Vivek to get the message that having dominate guard play doesn't win championships. But too bad our owner and GM are the two most incompetent NBA personell you'll find......

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Anyone else routing for the Griz to spank the Warriors?

Hope Karl, Pete and Vivek are paying attention that guard dominate teams are getting blasted by post playing teams.
I second this.

Or maybe first it since I have been callign for it for a while. :p

Anyway, I view a Warriors loss as valuable to the Kings franchise, since we are a bunch of fad chasing numbnuts desperately in need of an object lesson on what wins in playoff basketball.

Anyone else routing for the Griz to spank the Warriors?

Hope Karl, Pete and Vivek are paying attention that guard dominate teams are getting blasted by post playing teams.
Hell yeah!!!!

I absolutely LOVE the way Grizzlies play and would love to see the team, built the right way, around right basketball principles knock of the bunch of jump shooting pansies like the Warriors.

Unfortunately, the NBA has been infiltrated by a bunch of nerds who know nothing about basketball but they get all excited by the most recent trends. Warriors play the style of game that I cannot stand. If the Grizzlies or Chicago win the whole thing, just watch the rest of the NBA try and mimic what they do.

Malone had it right. He knew what he had and he turned it into a scrappy, defensive team playing smash mouth basketball that wins in the play offs. These idiots running our franchise have never won the big one but all of a sudden they think they know what it takes to win. Winning in regular season is NOT the same as winning in the play offs. I have told everyone who will listen that if Memphis is not banged up as much as they are, they would swat these little jump shooting Warriors straight out of the play offs. Even as banged up as they are, they are causing them all sorts of problems.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
OMG, you're a hater. SMH. Maybe since I'm from the bay and i have some love for the warriors, I am rooting for them all the way.
I've been in the Bay for two decades(off and on) and hope GS dies in a fire. I hope the Grizz steamroll these pansies.

There's not a single negative to Memphis whooping their ass in the paint and moving on to the WCF. Anything which my jolt some common sense into our hierarchy is a positive.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Hey, if you have GS personnel, then you do what they do. We do not. We should not be trying to emulate them.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have this team going deep in the PO in any system that gets them there now. But with the personnel we have, the way GS plays does not cater to our strengths. Malone had it figured out.

J

jdbraver

Hell yeah!!!!

I absolutely LOVE the way Grizzlies play and would love to see the team, built the right way, around right basketball principles knock of the bunch of jump shooting pansies like the Warriors.

Unfortunately, the NBA has been infiltrated by a bunch of nerds who know nothing about basketball but they get all excited by the most recent trends. Warriors play the style of game that I cannot stand. If the Grizzlies or Chicago win the whole thing, just watch the rest of the NBA try and mimic what they do.

Malone had it right. He knew what he had and he turned it into a scrappy, defensive team playing smash mouth basketball that wins in the play offs. These idiots running our franchise have never won the big one but all of a sudden they think they know what it takes to win. Winning in regular season is NOT the same as winning in the play offs. I have told everyone who will listen that if Memphis is not banged up as much as they are, they would swat these little jump shooting Warriors straight out of the play offs. Even as banged up as they are, they are causing them all sorts of problems.
A bit too much nerd hate here. U think one would have learned from those movies. Analytics is not the enemy. It's the interpretation.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully we do what the Grizz did to make themselves the team they are and trade Rudy Gay
Pretty hard to make the argument that the Rudy Gay trade made the Grizzlies "the team they are".

Gay was traded for Tayshaun Prince, Ed Davis, Austin Daye and a 2nd rounder that became Jamaal Franklin.

Prince was a good fit for one and a half seasons and added defense (and a much lower usage rate than Gay) and Davis was a decent backup but Daye never contributed much and Franklin was waived after his rookie year. And no matter how you look at it none of the players they got in that trade are paying much in the way of dividends now.

Daye and Davis were allowed to walk as free agents and Prince declined quickly and was eventually basically a salary dump in the trade to Boston for Jeff Green. In fact, Green is the only player on the Grizzlies that you could even argue is on the roster in any way due to the Gay trade.

On the other hand, the Pau Gasol trade (for which the Grizzlies were hammered at the time) is the one that really helped shape the current roster.

That trade not only gave them Marc Gasol, but additional draft picks and lots of cap room that they used to restock their roster.

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/01/2...zzlies-are-still-winning-the-pau-gasol-trade/

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Pretty hard to make the argument that the Rudy Gay trade made the Grizzlies "the team they are".

Gay was traded for Tayshaun Prince, Ed Davis, Austin Daye and a 2nd rounder that became Jamaal Franklin.

Prince was a good fit for one and a half seasons and added defense (and a much lower usage rate than Gay) and Davis was a decent backup but Daye never contributed much and Franklin was waived after his rookie year. And no matter how you look at it none of the players they got in that trade are paying much in the way of dividends now.

Daye and Davis were allowed to walk as free agents and Prince declined quickly and was eventually basically a salary dump in the trade to Boston for Jeff Green. In fact, Green is the only player on the Grizzlies that you could even argue is on the roster in any way due to the Gay trade.

On the other hand, the Pau Gasol trade (for which the Grizzlies were hammered at the time) is the one that really helped shape the current roster.

That trade not only gave them Marc Gasol, but additional draft picks and lots of cap room that they used to restock their roster.

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/01/2...zzlies-are-still-winning-the-pau-gasol-trade/
I think you're missing the point he's trying to make, which is that that taken to it's literal end, the emulation of the Grizzlies and the spurning of GS is a fool's errand.

"Points" are made on the basketball court. I am a fan of GS and have been since the early 70's. I pullingn for them to beat the Grizz no matter what "kind" of basketball either plays. Give me two guards like them plus Cuz and I don't give a rat's XXX what scheme they use.

"Points" are made on the basketball court. I am a fan of GS and have been since the early 70's. I pullingn for them to beat the Grizz no matter what "kind" of basketball either plays. Give me two guards like them plus Cuz and I don't give a rat's XXX what scheme they use.
like curry and thompson? good luck finding a couple of guys like that between now and when demarcus cousins eventually demands a trade...

Theres no way around the fact that Cousins is most effective when he posts up. How do you give Cousins the ball when hes posting up? Run a play in your half court offense. Memphis realizes this when they try to utilize Randolph and Gasol. Cousins is quite easily better than both of those players. So then, run and gun or half court offense?

Theres no way around the fact that Cousins is most effective when he posts up. How do you give Cousins the ball when hes posting up? Run a play in your half court offense. Memphis realizes this when they try to utilize Randolph and Gasol. Cousins is quite easily better than both of those players. So then, run and gun or half court offense?
Unfortunately, even with my infatuation with inside-out basketball, I will argue that Cousins is not as effective in the low post than when he is a little farther, when he faces up. Despite that, he is still incredibly effective in the low post :p

You have inside information? We're trading for Randolf? We are so far from the Grizz and the Warriors that the direction, the scheme, the system, pace, you name it, is yet to be invented.

like curry and thompson? good luck finding a couple of guys like that between now and when demarcus cousins eventually demands a trade...
You could say the exact same thing about the Warriors getting a dominant post player like Cousins, which is why I find this anti-GS circle jerk puzzling. I've been pretty much indifferent to that franchise since forever, but they're a talented team and Kerr is looking like a legit NBA coach. I would be shocked to see them win a title, but that's because of their roster, not their philosophy. Yeah you need good post play and yeah you shoudlnt live by the 3 point shot, but all of the W's roster and coaching moves in recent years have been about balancing out the roster and moving away from Nellie ball - trading Monta for Bogut, dumping Lee, adding Iggy, and now Kerr - what about this says run n gun or Nellie ball?

I swear it feels like I'm reading a thread from 2006.

You have inside information? We're trading for Randolf? We are so far from the Grizz and the Warriors that the direction, the scheme, the system, pace, you name it, is yet to be invented.
Its no secret that our FO loves them some run and gun sexy ball. Its the style of basketball that they aspire to have the Kings play. Theyve stated this publicly. Its why they fired Malone when he was having success by pulling in the opposite direction of run and gun basketball. Our on court play doesnt match run and gun basketball yet because it doesnt match anything as we have become a discombobulated mess after firing malone. Theres no need for you to pretend that our FO isnt trying to implement a run and gun style even though it very clearly doesnt fit our personnel.

Its no secret that our FO loves them some run and gun sexy ball. Its the style of basketball that they aspire to have the Kings play. Theyve stated this publicly. Its why they fired Malone when he was having success by pulling in the opposite direction of run and gun basketball. Our on court play doesnt match run and gun basketball yet because it doesnt match anything as we have become a discombobulated mess after firing malone. Theres no need for you to pretend that our FO isnt trying to implement a run and gun style even though it very clearly doesnt fit our personnel.
My point is that we are so far right now from run and gun as well as from Grizz style basketball that I don't know how you can tell. And as to what the team management is thinking again we have no way yet to tell. They have just created a new management team in the last two weeks. They may have picked a hoped for direction but only time will tell. Any system well done will work. As for building a Grizz system around Cuz, we'll all he has done so far is prove that he is a one-man storing, rebounding, and defensive machine. Who knows what system he would best fit into. I reserve judgement and give theKings team freedom to play and win any way they want.

gunks

Hall of Famer
My point is that we are so far right now from run and gun as well as from Grizz style basketball that I don't know how you can tell. And as to what the team management is thinking again we have no way yet to tell. They have just created a new management team in the last two weeks. They may have picked a hoped for direction but only time will tell. Any system well done will work. As for building a Grizz system around Cuz, we'll all he has done so far is prove that he is a one-man storing, rebounding, and defensive machine. Who knows what system he would best fit into. I reserve judgement and give theKings team freedom to play and win any way they want.
A one man scoring, rebounding, and defensive machine can fit into ANY system and make it work. The only issue we've had here is that prior to Malone, we never had a good enough coach to even come up with ANY kind of system. And while we had Malone, who did have a system, we had a crappy self destructive FO who undermined the coach and refused to get him the type of players we needed.

Now, we have Karl, who is easily the best coach we have had since Rick. We have a FO who will back him up. Methinks our Kings will look pretty dangerous and Cohesive next season with the right moves and a full training camp under Karl.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I second this.

Or maybe first it since I have been callign for it for a while. :p

Anyway, I view a Warriors loss as valuable to the Kings franchise, since we are a bunch of fad chasing numbnuts desperately in need of an object lesson on what wins in playoff basketball.
You, dear Brickie, are showing remarkable restraint. I kept expecting you to pop into the ongoing playoff thread last night with a comment of "SEE?!?!?!?!?"

:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wish people would stop bringing up quotes from the past before George Karl has truly had a chance to put his stamp on the team.

You can not base what will happen under Vlade and Karl on what happened before they arrived.

You could say the exact same thing about the Warriors getting a dominant post player like Cousins, which is why I find this anti-GS circle jerk puzzling. I've been pretty much indifferent to that franchise since forever, but they're a talented team and Kerr is looking like a legit NBA coach. I would be shocked to see them win a title, but that's because of their roster, not their philosophy. Yeah you need good post play and yeah you shoudlnt live by the 3 point shot, but all of the W's roster and coaching moves in recent years have been about balancing out the roster and moving away from Nellie ball - trading Monta for Bogut, dumping Lee, adding Iggy, and now Kerr - what about this says run n gun or Nellie ball?

I swear it feels like I'm reading a thread from 2006.
i haven't characterized the warriors as run and gun. they like to push the pace and they're fond of taking three pointers early in the shot clock, but my biggest issue with them is the sheer volume of three's they toss up per game. they're overwhelmingly reliant on the jump shooting prowess of curry and thompson, and that's being exposed against memphis in this series...

i haven't characterized the warriors as run and gun. they like to push the pace and they're fond of taking three pointers early in the shot clock, but my biggest issue with them is the sheer volume of three's they toss up per game. they're overwhelmingly reliant on the jump shooting prowess of curry and thompson, and that's being exposed against memphis in this series...
I agree 100%. They're a flawed team and overly-reliant on the 3 point shot. I think their roster is still a work in progress, it just happens that they have the greatest shooter in the NBA since Nash, which masks a lot of stuff.

What's weird to me is people acting like this is an indictment of their FO or coaching philosophy. I don't think you can go that far. I think they've been making all the right moves in turning over the roster and changing the culture since Lacob took over the team. It's unfair to fault them for not being able to find an all-star front court player to pair with Curry - it's certainly not lack of for trying. If Bogut ever showed up as a true impact player after his injury we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I also think if you wanna talk about great defensive teams to model our squad after, you gotta look to Detroit 2004. Memphis's problem has always been their inability to generate offense out of the back court (sound familiar?). They have a shot to go much deeper this year, but I also think this is a very weak year overall (Heatles broke up, Love went down, and Spurs don't do back-to-back championships).

Detroit had the great front court, but they won their chip with huge contributions from Billips, Rip, and Prince (who all played both ways). I'm not sure how much faith I have in Conley, Beno Udrih, and Vince Carter's corpse keying big playoff wins.

Basketball is and always has been about balance. Neither the Warriors nor the Grizzlies are well-balanced, altho the Grizz are def a better and more seasoned team.

How this series can somehow be seen as a referendum on the clown show that is the Kings FO is weird.

If the thought ever really crossed the mind of those in charge to turn the Kings into a guard dominant team then I am scared. Very scared. Give Cousins some shooters and defenders, that's all they need to do. It's not rocket science.

They are not mutually exclusive. If you can get easy baskets with Cuz rebounding and outlet passes then you do it. It also saves him from having to run on every play. Point is when you need a basket you go down low. Whether its Cuz scoring or passing out of a double team. Nobody on the warriors demands a double team.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I also think if you wanna talk about great defensive teams to model our squad after, you gotta look to Detroit 2004. Memphis's problem has always been their inability to generate offense out of the back court (sound familiar?). They have a shot to go much deeper this year, but I also think this is a very weak year overall (Heatles broke up, Love went down, and Spurs don't do back-to-back championships).

Detroit had the great front court, but they won their chip with huge contributions from Billips, Rip, and Prince (who all played both ways). I'm not sure how much faith I have in Conley, Beno Udrih, and Vince Carter's corpse keying big playoff wins.

Basketball is and always has been about balance. Neither the Warriors nor the Grizzlies are well-balanced, altho the Grizz are def a better and more seasoned team.

How this series can somehow be seen as a referendum on the clown show that is the Kings FO is weird.
I'm not sure how 2004 Detroit is remotely relevant to our team. Its a completely different structure.

Memphis is different too, but there were significant similarities when we were playing under Malone. We were following their blueprint, big center, ball control offense, the Rudy connection, few three point threats. Win anyway.

We shouldn't have a Grizzlies system; we should have a system that fits our roster, which seems to be very similar to the Grizzlies' system. Malone figured out a system that fits our roster, and got fired because that wasn't the system that the front office wanted. Instead, they wanted a faster-paced team. To see the Grizzlies win this series, or at least bring the Warriors to the brink of destruction, would hopefully affect the thinking of the front office.