Gerald Wallace?

Rumors are going around that Charlotte, in its infinite wisdom, is looking to trade Gerald Wallace.

Personally, Wallace has been one of my favorite players for quite a while (well, ever since he blew up on the Kings when everybody was injured a few years back). I think he'd be quite an upgrade over Salmons...wouldn't take us to the playoffs by himself, but he'd be a great piece to build with.

What do you guys think about having Gerald back?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'd love to see Gerald Wallace back in a Kings uniform, but who are we going to trade? Maybe if they're looking for a salary dump, but I wouldn't give up any draft picks at this point. Maybe they'd take Salmons or Garcia?

We don't have much, but why not Miller? He's 32, has two years on his contract, and we're going to be out of the playoffs for likely the next two seasons. Throw in Jermareo Davidson for filler.

I'm not solid on this though...he's currently a centerpiece of our offense and I'm not sure Hawes can step up yet. Anybody have a better idea?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Gerald is signed through the 2012/2013 season. He makes $9,500,000.00 a year. So the question is, is Gerald someone we might have tried to sign after the 2010 season, if he were available? If the answer is yes, and obviously it appears that the Bobcats are trying to free up cap space, then trade them both Sheldon Williams and Douby along with the draft pick we aquired from Houston. We get Gerald and they get cap space.

If not, we don't make the trade.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
we could do bobby and shelden w/pick for wallace....
Yeah, we could do that also. I guess the question is, who is more valuable to the team in the short term right now. If both Bobby and Douby are on the roster, who would play more minutes this year? I think, based on what I've seen from Bobby Brown so far that BJax would play more minutes than Douby. So I would trade Douby.

So the question is, is Gerald someone we might have tried to sign after the 2010 season, if he were available?
I think so. I think we're going to have a hole at SF, long-term. Both Garcia and Salmons are good, but not great...and if we're building a title contender, those are the types you want off the bench, not in the starting 5.

I think that Wallace is an upgrade...not someone who will take you "there," but a key piece...place him next to Kevin Martin, some stud PG/PF that we get from the lottery, & along with what develops from our young guys.

I would love to see Gerald Wallace back on the Kings. He was always one of my favorite players when he was with us and now he has made a name for himself in the league. Of course, I'd also have to see who and what we are giving up to acquire him, but I definitely enjoy the thought of seeing him back in a Kings uniform.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If it were to be Bjax or Douby. Garcia would get some pg minutes as well as sg and Greene would be thrust into a legitamate backup role at SF.

Wallace is a nice player and I LOVE watching him play, but he gets hurt an awful lot for having that enormous contract. He's also multiple concussions, which may eventually force him into retirement. It's too much money to commit to such a high-risk player.

If there was some way to trade for say Kenny Thomas,sheldon and solmons I would do it in a heartbeat... Havin a starting line up of beno,Kevin, wallace,mikki, and brad would be a decent lineup...

If wallace can keep his games that he misses down to like 10 games, instead of 20 or so that he seems to miss every year.. I would totally take wallace back... He averaged last year 19pts,6 rpg,3 apg,and 2 spg... Thats not to bad if you ask me....

::EDIT:: Over on RealGM.com on the trade tracker I found a good trade for the Kings... Kings give up Sheldon, Solmons, and Douby for... Gerald and Jermareo...

Why Charlette does the trade? They are looking to get rid of Wallace's contract and his ability to get hurt every year for 10+ games a year... In return the get a decent players in Solmons and Douby to fill the small forward spot and to back up Adam Morrison at SG, ... Another reason they do it is because they are not to sure how many games Adam will miss this year after he had surgery on his knee.. He missed his hole rookie season and who knows how many games he will miss this year...

Why Sacramento does the trade? We get a very athletic guy in Gerald who can will our small forward spot.. Decent rebounder for a small forward(6 rpg last season), very athletic, and has averaged over 2 steals per game the last 3 seasons... The only question about gerald is his injurys and missing 10+ games a year... If he can keep those down, then he can be a very important piece to our team..

I would love to see him back in a Kings uniform... I was very upset to see him go to Charlotte when the Bobcats came into the league... Since leaving the team he has really blossomed into a decent player in the league that everyone always knew would happen if he worked hard enough and got the playing time.. I say we get him back.. I would love to see Gerald and Kevin together!

Last edited:
If the injuries were to be kept down, I think he'd fit in very nicely with the team. We are lacking defensive players and, if I'm not mistaken, Gerald has been on the ballot for DPOY before. He would add a lot of athleticism and defense to our squad. His health is the wild card but if we could get him for a reasonable price I think it would be a nice pick up.

he would be great as our PG of the future. i say we trade kmart for him.
True. We could go small ball, have a lineup of:

PG - Wallace
SG - Hawes
SF - Miller
PF - Udrih
C - Douby

With Martin off the bench as a shotblocking big.

Then try and trade for Shaq to play as PG and mover G-Wallace over to C.

hrdboild

Staff member
If the injuries were to be kept down, I think he'd fit in very nicely with the team. We are lacking defensive players and, if I'm not mistaken, Gerald has been on the ballot for DPOY before. He would add a lot of athleticism and defense to our squad. His health is the wild card but if we could get him for a reasonable price I think it would be a nice pick up.
He straight up should have won DPOY for the 05-06 season. 2.1blks, 2.5stls, 7.5 rebs. He was robbed. Ben Wallace had a big season as well, but come on. Those numbers are ridiculous. And he added 15ppg on 54% shooting as well.

The injury concerns are legitimate, but when he's healthy I don't think there's a player in the NBA that I like watching more.

We need to be more realstic with this. Yeah I know the Bobcats are probably looking to dump some cap space and would be willing to take a tiny hit in the talent for talent area...but honestly why would they want Douby and Shelden and a pick for Wallace? They could probably get something of much better value from another team. I say any deal involving Wallace and the Kings would include losing either Miller, Mikki, or Salmons.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I say any deal involving Wallace and the Kings would include losing either Miller, Mikki, or Salmons.
Which would be just fine. Peachy in fact. We want those Douby/Shelden enders too, and the three guys listed -- Brad, Mikki, John, are precisely the three old vets with longterm deals we'd like to dump. Or should want to dump (never can be sure with our brain trust). If they want to give us back a better, younger, player for a Salmons led package, let;s bring it on! If they want one of our veteran bigs so that precious little Larry Brown can construct another one of his teams of old men, hey, have we got some old bigs for you!

Thing is that I thought early in preseason at least that Brown was rumored to be quite impressed by Gerald. Why do they now want to move him? Or is the whole premise of this thread just off to begin with?

hrdboild

Staff member
Well, it is just rumors, but I think it goes something like this:

1) The team's owner wants to sell the team but he would be losing too much money in this economy so he's begrudgingly biding his time.

2) Michael Jordan is not a good GM and he committed a ton of money to Jason Richardson who more or less duplicates what Wallace does on the court (only with less defense and better outside shooting) and now he's getting pressure from the owner to trim the payroll.

3) Michael Jordan is not a good GM. It bears repeating.

4) Larry Brown probably loves Gerald Wallace. He's an ideal LB player. But is he on the same page as the front office? The DJ Augustin pick suggests otherwise.

But even if all of these are true, it seems pretty clear to me they can get something better for Gerald Wallace than whatever we have to offer them unless we give up one of our promising rookies or first round draft picks, both of which would be a mistake. Still can't help pretending it's possible though. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) He can play in a protective helmet with "Crash" written across the front.

Let's get Wallace and get rid of Moore and Salmons. I wouldn't have second thoughts too if Bobcats wants Martin for Wallace, especially that we can have Salmons play #2 and Wallace on #3. That will be a big upgrade on #3 and #2, especially on defense for both positions. Moreover, we'll finally have a player ( in Wallace ) with a "swagger" in his game.

Last edited:
:eek: Martin makes Wallace look like a D-leaguer as far as skills are concerned. Wallace is athleticism, heart and hustle. I think the point would be to have Wallace compliment Martin. That means Salmons bye, bye and probably Williams and a 1st round pick.

That there looks pretty reasonable.

No, now that I think about it, I think I'll pass and just let it be with Salmons. Salmons has shown that he can have just as much of an impact as Gerald Wallace (if not more).

As long as we get rid one of the two ( or better if both ) - Martin and/or Salmons in exchange for Wallace, it will be a good trade for me. I believe having these 3 SG in one team will make each one of them not to flourish.

I envision the future starting line-up of the Kings as:

#5 Hawes ( 7' 0" )
#4 Thompson ( 6' 11" )
#3 Greene ( 6' 11" )
#2 Wallace ( 6' 7" ) or Martin ( 6' 7" ) or Salmons ( 6' 6" )
#1 Brown ( 6' 2" ) or Udrih ( 6' 3" )

Tall and athletic line-up.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
:eek: Martin makes Wallace look like a D-leaguer as far as skills are concerned. Wallace is athleticism, heart and hustle. I think the point would be to have Wallace compliment Martin. That means Salmons bye, bye and probably Williams and a 1st round pick.

That there looks pretty reasonable.

No, now that I think about it, I think I'll pass and just let it be with Salmons. Salmons has shown that he can have just as much of an impact as Gerald Wallace (if not more).

1) Martin has exactly one skill that Gerald does not. It is a radically overrated one in Sacramento. that said I would still not trade Kevin to get him. The idea clearly is to pair them, hopefully with cisco off the becnh behind them. Be a good young crew of swingmen.

2) Yes I agree, I have often heard Salmons talked about as an All Star caliber player. :rolleyes: Or not. You obviously put Salmons out there and say good riddance. And then have all the old bigs out there as well -- Mikki or Thomas for a small deal, Brad if they give us something else real in return.

3) this would depend on Jordan's stupidity as a GM and Brown's fascination with solid old types (and do not recall if he coached either Salmons or Kenny in Philly). But there is one more factor -- to the degree we used Salmons and one of our bigs with 2 yrs remaining (Brad, Kenny, Mikki) it culd help the Cats get far enough under the cap in '10 to try tobe FA players. I think that's as much pipedream for them as us, but if they want to chase it, and it nets a 26 yr old SF averaging a nifty 19.5pts 9.3rebs 1.8ast 2.0stl and 1.0blk so far this season, go for it.

Ok, let's set aside the question of why the Bobcats would even consider our cast-off for Wallace, but what can GW do for us in the present and immediate future?

His presence will help us be competitive enough to miss the playoff but not bad enough to land a high draft pick. Basically a repeat of last season. Meanwhile his $10 mil per year salary will be on the book for 5 seasons. It further clogs the wing position and essentially forces you to unload either Salmons or Garcia on the cheap to make room. It also takes away what limited opportunity there is for Donte Greene.

Not to mention it throws the whole rebuilding thing completely out of whack.

GW is not the king of player you trade for unless you're in a "win now" mode.