Gameball (LA @ Kings)

I'd like to start a new tradition around here. I love how we have nightly grades given out by KingsFans forum members. I was thinking that we could have a thread devoted to the one player that all around meant the most on that given night. Gameball honors are not to be given for Kings losses, so please no sarcasm.

The "gameball" award goes to a player who for example, reached career marks, played hard-nosed defense, or even had a single game-changing play. There will be some nights when it will be obvious who deserves the gameball and therefore we will all be in agreement, like when Bonzi hit the gamewinning buzzer-beater. On other nights however, we might differ drastically. For example tonights game: Bibby with 40+ and clutch, Brad with clutch shot to go to OT, Cisco working on Kobe + icer shot in OT, KT serving up Luke Walton + career game, etc.

Tonight's was quite a game. It's been a while since i've seen such an up-n-down Kings game. It literally felt like a roller-coaster ride. Must be because it was LA.

As tough as it is to choose I've got to give my gameball to Francisco Garcia. 50% from beyond the arc and more importantly was the only King who could keep up with Kobe's speed and length. Played tough defense for every second he was on the floor. He really showed me something tonight. I see this kid turning into a Peja/Christie mix.

the ""any questions"" thread is for players who may have had a suprise game. of course if mike bibby has 10 straight 40 point games you're not gonna keep posting
""mike bibby, any questions"" ""mike bibby, any questions""
a game ball thread should be started, or change the title of the "any questions" thread to the "game ball" thread!

in other posts in this forum there are two threads. one on garcia and thomas. both asking "any questions. at least if there's a "game ball" thread only 1 player can have that honor. most of the time.

Last edited:
P

playmaker0017

I agree - the any questions things is worn out.

Especially because I'll open it up thinking it might be about the player.

Anyhow - I nominate Kenny Thomas for gameball last night. That was a whopper of a game.

I'd have to go with Bibby here tonight. Not only was his game great, I liked how KT said that Mike told him that he was going to be going to him and not to settle for less than a lay up. He knew what was going to work at the end and they followed through with it. Dare a even mention that MAYBE some better leadership qualities are beginning to emerge.

Of course, you would get NO arguments from me if KT got the game ball.

KT, no doubt in my mind. First career triple double, tied to a huge win.

And yes, I like the idea of a game ball thread following each game, BawLa!

kenny!

he had his first career triiple double, and he just owned luke walton, making some huge buckets, 3 in a row in OT to seal the game away

i just hope he can continue to play well while he's starting, the kings sure need it

No!

No game balls. No MVP awards. I think that the awarding of MVPs and Game Balls it is a devisive policy. I refused to do it when I coached Youth Soccer. For example, how do you not give so-called Game balls to Bibby or Kenny?

quick dog said:
No game balls. No MVP awards. I think that the awarding of MVPs and Game Balls it is a devisive policy. I refused to do it when I coached Youth Soccer. For example, how do you not give so-called Game balls to Bibby or Kenny?
That's the point. The game ball is given to ONE person that YOU deem the most worthy. On last nights game, it is harder to give a game ball to just one person. But that is the idea. It's not about what I say. It's about all KingsFans opinions. I thought Francisco stepped up to a big challenge and did alright. Of course we wouldn't have won without Bibby, KT, and Brad doing what they did. But IMO Francisco getting in Kobe's face slowed him down just enough to give us a chance to win. Let's be honest, Kobe could have gone for 80+ points if we didn't have a player with Francisco's speed and length. Some people think KT was the difference-maker, and rightfully so. Others think Bibby or Brad had the moments that carried us. It's not about taking credit away from anyone because it is, and always will be, about the team. The game ball is an honor that is supposed to be for a game-changing performance. It could be for overall play, or even one play that seemed to swing the game in our favor, like a shot-block or a clutch last-second three. Keep in mind, we aren't managing young minds. We won't be tearing the team apart by honoring only certain players. This is supposed to be for who YOU think meant the most in Kings wins.

And with everyone thinking they are comedians, I guess we can allow some sarcasm. But no splitting up the gameball.

T

thesanityannex

quick dog said:
This isn't real game ball. Its an internet game ball. No one's feelings will be hurt if they don't recieve the internet game ball.

I give my internet game ball to Kenny Thomas for his first 3-2

P

playmaker0017

quick dog said:
Wow. This is a sport.

In sports - usually - one person wins while another loses. It is a zero sum game. It's pure competition baby!

While the policy of not allowing it in pee-wee soccer might make sense ... I sure hope full grown adults can handle a symbolic internet game ball without pouting (although one has to wonder when it comes to KT).

Also, in a lot of games I've played - there were multiple "game balls" handed out. It's just a way to acknowledge an above the rim effort and a way to reward it. It doesn't mean someone else sucked - it means he did well.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
My Game Ball to Kenny for a career night and for dominating OT to insure win and schooling Walton in the mean time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm going to continue to make the "any questions" thread for outstanding accomplishment by a Kings player during a game. How exactly is this different?

T

thesanityannex

VF21 said:
I'm going to continue to make the "any questions" thread for outstanding accomplishment by a Kings player during a game. How exactly is this different?
It is an internet game ball. You can sell them on ebay.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And the "any questions" thread was dedicated to Kenny Thomas with a pretty healthy ongoing discussion already underway.

I'm just trying to figure out what the difference is. It's like someone deciding to give the players grades after every game. It's already being done. If the new person decides to give numeric grades instead of alpha, it's still the same concept.

T

thesanityannex

Try selling "any questions" on Ebay.

Most buyers prefer the internet game ball.

By the way, I am a power seller on Ebay, so take everything I say as fact.

I give the game ball to ME. So there.

The Kings just about lost this one until I politely reminded the basketball gods that they don't lose when I'm there.

It simply DOES NOT happen.

35 seconds later...

If those in charge of handing out said game ball would like to contact me, I'll gladly provide shipping instructions.

I think the "Game Ball" thread serves the purpose of discussing who should get a "any questions" thread. See, the "any quesions" thread has basically decided who gets the game ball. It's like Star Wars. Technically, the game ball thread sets up the Any Questions thread, but Game Ball actually came after. Blame George Lucas for bad indexing.

Last edited: