[Game] Game 23: Houston Rockets @ Sacramento Kings, 12/11/14. 7:30 PST, 10:30 EST

Should Tetsujin be allowed to shirk his duty to go out partying in Tokyo?

• Where's Tokyo?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sessions/Stauskas let Houston right back into the game

then we still had a chance to win, and turnovers threw the game away

then we STILL had a chance to win, and Rudy Gay iso's while ignoring Collison/Ben threw the game away.

Then we STILL had a chance to win in OT, and we started off by letting Derrick Williams guard James Harden and letting Rudy chuck more jumpers. Then it was really over

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Thats the response I have been getting every time I question our coach.

Blew another lead. (This has been a problem with Cousins too)

Learning through TNT that we are installing new offensive sets 20 games into the season ? That has to be a joke right?

What was Malone coaching; "hey give the ball to big Cuz and stand around"
If your complaint is that the offense is too stagnant, wouldn't installing new offensive sets mid-season be considered "making adjustments"? I can understand to a certain extent why you might be angry with Coach Malone for some of the sloppy offensive work we've seen sink some really good chances to win early this year, but surely you see that some progress has been made? Cousins and Ben are substantially better on both ends of the court this season. Gay has been more efficient scoring the ball in Sacramento's offense than anywhere else in his career. Collison is turning some heads with his lead guard abilities. It takes time to implement changes and get the team to work through them. Yes by all means be frustrated, be upset. This was another winnable game the team collectively choked away with sloppy play down the stretch. But it's a huge improvement from past seasons to even be in those situations in the first place. I'm not calling for Malone's head because he's obviously doing something right out there and that earns him a little bit of patience on our part I think. Or at least it should.

then we STILL had a chance to win, and Rudy Gay iso's while ignoring Collison/Ben threw the game away.

Then we STILL had a chance to win in OT, and we started off by letting Derrick Williams guard James Harden and letting Rudy chuck more jumpers. Then it was really over
See what the problem is when Ben making life hell for Harden, Malone thought it was perfect opportunity to switch it up. Like a surprise attack, the Rockets never saw that defensive switch coming.

We arn't in the business of winning games, we are trying to give young guys confidence and learn how to play basketball. Who cares if we lose our first round pick if we play .500 ball ? Those don't matter right?

If your complaint is that the offense is too stagnant, wouldn't installing new offensive sets mid-season be considered "making adjustments"? I can understand to a certain extent why you might be angry with Coach Malone for some of the sloppy offensive work we've seen sink some really good chances to win early this year, but surely you see that some progress has been made? Cousins and Ben are substantially better on both ends of the court this season. Gay has been more efficient scoring the ball in Sacramento's offense than anywhere else in his career. Collison is turning some heads with his lead guard abilities. It takes time to implement changes and get the team to work through them. Yes by all means be frustrated, be upset. This was another winnable game the team collectively choked away with sloppy play down the stretch. But it's a huge improvement from past seasons to even be in those situations in the first place. I'm not calling for Malone's head because he's obviously doing something right out there and that earns him a little bit of patience on our part I think. Or at least it should.
Why weren't these sets installed in training camp? Did our head coach really think that installing your ENTIRE offense around one guy was going to work?

K

KingMilz

It's been the case the entire season, literally every lead we have lost it's featured those two. Aside from the Jazz game (I think it was) I can't remember them overall being a positive to the team. If the Kings want to develop Nik at the expense of wins..fine it is what it is but not Sessions. He's had 20 games to prove himself and he's failed it's time to move him to the bench and do something else.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well, it's not like Rick Adelman would be some sort of cure-all for the franchise. His Minnesota teams were middling at best and his Houston tenure pretty much crapped out. I think we have so many fond memories of the glory days that we just assume it'd go back to that as opposed to whatever the hell that was in Minnesota last season.

Well, it's not like Rick Adelman would be some sort of cure-all for the franchise. His Minnesota teams were middling at best and his Houston tenure pretty much crapped out. I think we have so many fond memories of the glory days that we just assume it'd go back to that as opposed to whatever the hell that was in Minnesota last season.
Minnesota during Adelman never had a healthy roster.. the roster had talent, but they were injured day and day out..

I don't blame Malone on this one, but I do think that there were some things that may have changed the result. I didn't understand why Harden was not fouled before he drained the 3-pointer to tie the game. That way the Kings could have tried to play the clock out in a one point lead forcing Houston to foul.

The other thing that may need to looked at is the fact that the Kings shot the ball with significantly higher percentage both from 2 and from 3 point range (from 3-point land 10% better). The Kings lost because of TOs caused by steals. That's mostly caused by the Kings bad ball movement. That needs to be fixed.

I can't believe another fourth quarter we start with all our stars on the bench. Another fourth quarter with a Sessions/Stauskas backcourt. Another fourth quarter with Landry doing nothing but turning the ball over, giving up offensive boards, and hitting the occasional contested J. Another fourth quarter we start and give up the lead we've built all game. Why not keep what's working out there and then send out the bench once the game is locked away and it's garbage time? Instead it's a "let's see how long I can keep these guys out here before they blow the lead" type scenario every time to start the fourth.

in a game that went to Overtime, Sessions had a -9 and Landry had a -10. Yet Malone keeps throwing them out there with a lineup full of bench players and thinks the results will be different from any other game?

slow learner

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
There's a certain degree of irony to Kayte criticizing how Houston is built, when we're built exactly the same way, just inverted. The only difference is we're a team with a top-level big and a top-level wing, who's built around the big, and they're a team with at top-level big, and a top-level wing, who's built around the wing. It's funny to hear her talking about how dependent everything they do is on Harden being healthy...

I usually agree with Kayte's analysis down the line, but that's a big dropped ball.

Coach coached like crap tonight. I don't understand why he always preaches ball movement and claims we have to do that more often, yet he always draws up 1on1 plays down the stretch for Gay.

Gay was terrible tonight. The last 2 possessions in regulation were the reasons why we lost tonight.

Collison had the hot hand, but we decided not to go to him. I remember the last 2-3 games Grant and Jerry were puzzled about why Malone kept trying to give the ball to Rudy for a 1v1 isos. They wanted Collison to have the ball. He never did.. same result tonight.

It seems like we aren't even playing to win anymore. The last game coach drew up an ugly play for Nik that never worked.. Nik of all people.. who barely played that game. Then this game, he gives it to the guy who went 3-13 for the game winner. He's never been clutch for the Kings this season, except for one time.

If we continue to play like this, I'd rather us just keep our draft pick.

Yea Kayte dropped the ball on that one.

At least Houston is also built with a solid bench (when half their team isn't missing) and a ton of 3pt shooters. The exact opposite of us

Rockets attempted 44 3's tonight. Wow. Made 15 of them. Kings attempted 18, and and made 8 of them.

I think it balances out at the end of every game. If a team takes 25 3's, we will take 10 3's.

I can't believe another fourth quarter we start with all our stars on the bench. Another fourth quarter with a Sessions/Stauskas backcourt. Another fourth quarter with Landry doing nothing but turning the ball over, giving up offensive boards, and hitting the occasional contested J. Another fourth quarter we start and give up the lead we've built all game. Why not keep what's working out there and then send out the bench once the game is locked away and it's garbage time? Instead it's a "let's see how long I can keep these guys out here before they blow the lead" type scenario every time to start the fourth.
Very true. At some point we have to try starting a 4th quarter with a different strategy. If that means playing some guys for more time than whatever their average is....well, sometimes that's what it takes to win. You have to give extra to gain something. If that means they need more rest the next game, then make a decision then. Maybe they will, but maybe they won't

Rockets attempted 44 3's tonight. Wow. Made 15 of them. Kings attempted 18, and and made 8 of them.

I think it balances out at the end of every game. If a team takes 25 3's, we will take 10 3's.
basically the same game as LA on tuesday. Lead almost the entire game, other team shoots a bad %, blow a double digit lead in the last 14 minutes, dumb turnovers in the 4th, dumb coaching in the closing minutes

Very true. At some point we have to try starting a 4th quarter with a different strategy. If that means playing some guys for more time than whatever their average is....well, sometimes that's what it takes to win. You have to give extra to gain something. If that means they need more rest the next game, then make a decision then. Maybe they will, but maybe they won't
The main guys played a ton of minutes tonight. That wasn't the issue. It's when they play, who they play with and how they are used.

My issue isn't that the kings blew another lead. It's that we do the same things leading to these losses with no apparent recognition of what's happening or attempts to fix it.

The main guys played a ton of minutes tonight. That wasn't the issue. It's when they play, who they play with and how they are used.

My issue isn't that the kings blew another lead. It's that we do the same things leading to these losses with no apparent recognition of what's happening or attempts to fix it.
nailed it!!!!!!!

I didn't say he was a trash coach, but nice try to deflect. I commented on the poor coaching in consistently drawing up the same play for Rudy when it clearly isn't working.
Sorry, some other guy said trash coach and you said garbage. Guess I was trying to address both of you with one post. I can tell you like to assume though, because I wasn't trying to deflect.

Just like the Lakers game, the primary factors leading to the loss were turnovers and missed FT's.

Beyond that, the coaches insistence on handing Sessions and Stauskas pivotal minutes in the 4th quarter while nursing a slim lead is beyond puzzling. So is his decision to continually play isolation ball when the team has a final shot. I guess the Spurs hold he patent on being able to actually draw up a play involving multiple players and multiple options dependent upon how the defense reacts. Good to know.

My real problem with iso ball, if your hellbent on playing it, is handing the ball to a guy that has proven he can't make a shot that particular night. Is there something wrong with putting the ball in the hands of a player that has proven to be somewhat adept at scoring in the game?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If we continue to play like this, I'd rather us just keep our draft pick.
We're not bad enough to keep the pick. It's only Top 10 protected at this point, and there aren't five teams better than us that won't make the playoffs. The pick is gone; the only chance we keep it is if we go Full Admiral, and shut Cousins down for the year.

K

KingMilz

Even the TNT crew mentioned it, the Kings can't close out any games. That goes on coaching... same mistakes over and over again. It's getting tiresome. I hate Rudy Gay right now. That guy isn't clutch at all.
Look I have not liked Rudy for a long time but we are currently putting him into a position he can't for-fill and very few people int he history of basketball can and that's being a go to guy and closer. He's not a #1 option and he clearly struggles against double teams and high level pressure but we didn't bring him in to be that so I don't think we can really blame Rudy all that much.

To me we should have never been in a situation where Rudy had to make plays at the end of the game had it not been for the bench. Out of all the players atm we are only asking Rudy to do something he's not capable off, the rest without DMC can still play naturally.

Our bench in a matter of 5-10 mins every game completely cancels out the good work our starters do and we can't get momentum back and our starters start to fatigue cause it's hard to carry. Rudy as a number #2 option has been tremendous this year. Aside from KD and LeBron there is not another SF in the NBA that's a #1 option that's leading a team to any success (Look at Melo).

Last edited by a moderator: