Free Agency

Chandler Parsons max deal with Grizzlies.
4 years $94 million. Wow.
If they get Conley back and assuming Marc is healthy, Grizzlies are right back to being a powerhouse in the west. Conley-Allen-Parsons-ZBO-Gasol is an outstanding starting 5 and Parsons gives that team what they've been lacking for years during their run.

@WojVerticalNBA
Free agent Chandler Parsons is nearing agreement on a four-year, $94M max deal with the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources tell @TheVertical.

If that happens and they re-sign Mike Conley, that is two good moves for them. Just going off the players they have under contract, but they have the makings of a good starting line up and some decent rotation players before they start signing anyone else.

Conley / Baldwin / Munford
Allen / Carter / Wroten /Adams
Parsons / Zagorac
Randolph / Davis (PF/C) / Green /Martin
Gasol / Wright (PF/C) / Zhelin

It is a steep price to pay for Parsons, but if they go forwards with that line up they should be a play off team again next season. Maybe not a title contender, but at least a play off team.

What does the world see in Parsons that I don't? A max player?? Ridiculous.

Z-Bo is on his last effective legs, Marc is getting up there in age and Allen is already old. So they will have Conley and Parsons, who is consistently injured all the time, leading the pack. They will be stuck in mediocrity. They will get 1 good season, maybe 2 and then they will regret their decisions of summer 2016.

Should have started blowing it up.

What if Dave sat across the table from you and said "Dion is a really strong player in my defensive system with his athleticism and size and attitude. He has intangibles that Ben doesn't have and he'll be a fit for what I'm trying to do. I can bring out exactly what we all saw when he was a top lottery pick, and he's ready to go to work for me and for Sac"

If Dave Joerger was sitting right across from you saying this, would you suspend judgement on Waiters?
This feels like another attempt to exempt Vlade of future blame from the dumpster fire that signing Waiters would be.

EVAN FOURNIER. Wow. What a steal!

17mpy??? He's going to break out this year. He's arguably the best player Orlando has.
I really don't value him as much as you do (not sure if many do actually). 17 million seems quite fitting in all honesty. Wasn't he benched towards the end of the season? I may be wrong here.

I really hope the FO is working the Crabbe angle behind the scenes, we've already whiffed on several names that would have been great here.

I'm growing on the idea of Lance. Joerger brought the old Lance back, who at one point was one of the few exciting 2-way SG's we had in the league. We'd get laughed at of course of pairing Lance and Cousins, but I wouldn't really care. One thing I trust Joerger with is to get whatever guys he has to compete hard. He showed that at the end of last year when he had Briante Weber and Ray McCallum as integral guard pieces and Lance as his best player.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mirza Teletovic to the Bucks, 3 years, $30 million.
Teletovic is a nice signing. Gives most of what Anderson does at a lower price tag.

Crabbe, Hill, Teletovic and Curry would have been a nice offseason for the Kings. The Kings would likely have had to move Ben or Kosta (I'm guessing $38-40 for all four) but I would have been happy with that haul.

Lin 3 yr 36 m........that is a reasonable contract

Yes, very reasonable. When someone like Parsons is getting $24 mil, it makes Lin's deal the steal of the century.

Another steal was Clarkson at $12.5 mil/yr. Not sure why we didn't make a run at these 2 PGs.

Offer Clarkson $15-$16 mil/yr and see if they match. If they do, we just wasted part of the lakers' cap. If they don't, we get a young PG who can play SG too with room to improve.

Instead, we are supposedly throwing that money to Waiters.

I'm hoping with the Kings being so quiet, it's Ken catanella is doing his capology job to keep the Kings uncheck for the future. Dmc is going to get a max contract and we can't be handcuffing ourselves with overpaying mediocre players.
!!!!!! Yes. hoping and actually thinking quite the same

I really don't value him as much as you do (not sure if many do actually). 17 million seems quite fitting in all honesty. Wasn't he benched towards the end of the season? I may be wrong here.
Evan Fournier looked like a real potential fringe franchise player or #2 player. In the beginning of the year, he started off red HOT. Nearly 18ppg on 46% FG and 41% 3pt.

The Orlando coach didn't know how to play Payton-Oladipo-Fournier all at once. Then they also had Tobias Harris. It was difficult to fit Payton/Dipo/Fournier/Harris/Vucevic. The first 3 are all ball handlers, so after the 1st month, he put Fournier on the bench for a few games(only 8), and he started experimenting with different lineups and having Oladipo off the bench. It was extremely weird. His production went way down for the next 2 months. Around 12ppg those 2 months.
In February, he was back on consistent minutes (I think after injuries and trading Harris). His minutes increased and they changed things around again. 16ppg 3.2asts on 48% fg 47% 3pt.
In March, 17.5ppg while the coach continues to play around with lineups. In April, it went to 19ppg.

These are just his numbers... but I think he's going to be a great player in the NBA.

He's a 23yearold SG who can handle the ball, facilitate, and run an offense. Even though he's a great ball handler, he can play off the ball extremely well. He's an elite shooter who can finish at the rim too. He does a great job in attacking. He has extremely high bball IQ with great leadership skills. He has the mindset of winning and he's not timid. The guy has all the intangibles you want.

He's going to be a top 5 SG.

Yes, very reasonable. When someone like Parsons is getting $24 mil, it makes Lin's deal the steal of the century.

Another steal was Clarkson at $12.5 mil/yr. Not sure why we didn't make a run at these 2 PGs.

Offer Clarkson $15-$16 mil/yr and see if they match. If they do, we just wasted part of the lakers' cap. If they don't, we get a young PG who can play SG too with room to improve.

Instead, we are supposedly throwing that money to Waiters.
Let's think about this logically for a second. IF we really were that stupid to offer 18 million a year to Waiters, he would have signed at 12:01 this morning. Who else would offer him that?? Nobody. Think about it. The 18 million a year offer never happened, otherwise he would already be a King. As selfish as Waiters is, even HE wouldn't turn it down. 1 year ago 18 million a year was star/superstar money. He would be a colossal fool to turn that down. It's just agent "leaks." Bunch of bull and we have to read between the lines.

Let's think about this logically for a second. IF we really were that stupid to offer 18 million a year to Waiters, he would have signed at 12:01 this morning. Who else would offer him that?? Nobody. Think about it. The 18 million a year offer never happened, otherwise he would already be a King. As selfish as Waiters is, even HE wouldn't turn it down. 1 year ago 18 million a year was star/superstar money. He would be a colossal fool to turn that down. It's just agent "leaks." Bunch of bull and we have to read between the lines.
Maybe. We also could be waiting to offer that since he's restricted and it would tie our dollars up for a little while. Doesn't mean we aren't about to make a stupid offer

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm growing on the idea of Lance. Joerger brought the old Lance back, who at one point was one of the few exciting 2-way SG's we had in the league. We'd get laughed at of course of pairing Lance and Cousins, but I wouldn't really care. One thing I trust Joerger with is to get whatever guys he has to compete hard. He showed that at the end of last year when he had Briante Weber and Ray McCallum as integral guard pieces and Lance as his best player.
I've never wanted Stephenson in a Kings uniform from the moment it came out that he threw his pregnant girlfriend down a flight of stairs back before he was drafted. His actions &a attitude hasn't led me to soften that stance.

From a basketball perspective Collison would be a great fit at PG next to Stephenson but you'd likely want to move Gay to have a better shooter at SF.

And my pipe dream of Gay & Koufos going out and Bledsoe coming back would give two PGs that work well next to Stephenson. Sign Hill and Anderson and that's a solid squad.

Doesn't mean I want to have to root for Lance.

Evan Fournier looked like a real potential fringe franchise player or #2 player. In the beginning of the year, he started off red HOT. Nearly 18ppg on 46% FG and 41% 3pt.

The Orlando coach didn't know how to play Payton-Oladipo-Fournier all at once. Then they also had Tobias Harris. It was difficult to fit Payton/Dipo/Fournier/Harris/Vucevic. The first 3 are all ball handlers, so after the 1st month, he put Fournier on the bench for a few games(only 8), and he started experimenting with different lineups and having Oladipo off the bench. It was extremely weird. His production went way down for the next 2 months. Around 12ppg those 2 months.
In February, he was back on consistent minutes (I think after injuries and trading Harris). His minutes increased and they changed things around again. 16ppg 3.2asts on 48% fg 47% 3pt.
In March, 17.5ppg while the coach continues to play around with lineups. In April, it went to 19ppg.

These are just his numbers... but I think he's going to be a great player in the NBA.

He's a 23yearold SG who can handle the ball, facilitate, and run an offense. Even though he's a great ball handler, he can play off the ball extremely well. He's an elite shooter who can finish at the rim too. He does a great job in attacking. He has extremely high bball IQ with great leadership skills. He has the mindset of winning and he's not timid. The guy has all the intangibles you want.

He's going to be a top 5 SG.
He's a fine player no doubt, but for a #2 option, possibly #3, 17 million a year is fitting. The next tier up is All-Star/Superstar, and he hasn't earned that yet. He's right where he should be, IMO. If he becomes a star, then the Magic win on this deal, but as of right now it's fair for both sides.

Maybe. We also could be waiting to offer that since he's restricted and it would tie our dollars up for a little while. Doesn't mean we aren't about to make a stupid offer
I suppose, but if we really wanted to pry him away, now would be the ideal time as OKC is waiting on Durant's decision and I seriously doubt they would match 18 million (I would consider them idiots if they did actually). Also, waiting around is not doing anyone any good as the FA pool is drying up rather quickly. A lot of the big names are already spoken for.

the positive thinking crowd you've been a part of...
second nicest thing anybody has said about me all week, thanks.

i'm not a positive guy. i just am skeptical when anybody leaps to the conclusion that "the other guy" is flat stupid. I'm more prone to try and figure it out from their angle.

people on here talk in extremes most of the time. 'brainless chucker locker room cancer and defensive matador' is the kind of thing people use to describe someone more often than 'can play defense when he wants to but tries to shoulder too much of a load on offense leading to bad decisions and turnovers'.

I never think the person with the opposite point of view is stupid (unless there is a huge body of work to go on). I assume he sees it from an angle I don't see it from. So I guess you could say I'm "often in doubt". And I'm right sometimes and I'm wrong sometimes. I'd bet that I agree with everybody on this board about HALF the time.

But if the reflex reaction to some move is "Vlade is stupid" or even "Vivek is stupid", then I reject that and I think people who quickly draw those conclusions are just lazy. I mean even Pete did some things right (Rudy Gay, Darrin Collison).

But I don't have a stock of opinions that I want to win debates about. I just like to exchange ideas and keep learning.

I absolutely do not advocate getting Dion Waiters. It makes no sense to me. But I don't think it makes Vlade stupid if he does it. The larger body of work from Vlade - in MY opinion - is excellent.

Why get a guy who might be no better than Ben for much more $$$? It beats me - so I'm trying to figure it out that's all. Must be some reason. Maybe they think Dion is a lot like Ben but without the bewildered loser mentality (there i go extreme on Ben but.. maybe it's something like that).