Free Agency

Ben for $5 mil
Waiters for $14-18 mil?
I just don't think there's any way Waiters is going to get that kind of money after seeing the contracts that these other guards are getting. He shouldn't make more than $8mil a year. If Vlade signs him I'm going to be pissed. If Vlade signs him for over $10mil a year, he should be fired on the spot.

My ONLY hope is that this is just agent bluster trying to drive up value for Waiters. Before we all panic, just remember that Vlade told us last year that a lot of the players we "supposedly" bid on were players we had never talked to. I think we were linked to an offer to Monte Ellis and someone in Orlando (maybe Tobias Harris or Oladipo) and everyone was laughing about how we had no plan and were just offering to everyone. Vlade spoke after free agency and said we had never talked to several of the players we had been linked to, much less made offers.

Part of that could be Vlade covering up the rejctions, or part of it could be that agents (correctly) know that they can assign crazy rumors to Sacramento and most of the world will believe it. Last year, we never even heard about Marco and Kosta as targets before they were signed. Likewise, we knew we were wooing Rondo and Matthews, but only because they took trips here. Everything else turned out to be false. That is what I keep reminding myself. If we sign Waiters for any amount (but certainly $18m) I am going to be really sour. But I am still hoping this is the same "use the Kings to drive market value up" BS we saw last year.

Does anyone have a recent rundown of players signed to new teams? I don't care about people being re-signed to their current teams.

What if Dave sat across the table from you and said "Dion is a really strong player in my defensive system with his athleticism and size and attitude. He has intangibles that Ben doesn't have and he'll be a fit for what I'm trying to do. I can bring out exactly what we all saw when he was a top lottery pick, and he's ready to go to work for me and for Sac"

If Dave Joerger was sitting right across from you saying this, would you suspend judgement on Waiters?

What if Dave sat across the table from you and said "Dion is a really strong player in my defensive system with his athleticism and size and attitude. He has intangibles that Ben doesn't have and he'll be a fit for what I'm trying to do. I can bring out exactly what we all saw when he was a top lottery pick, and he's ready to go to work for me and for Sac"

If Dave Joerger was sitting right across from you saying this, would you suspend judgement on Waiters?
Of course not. Dion is multiple seasons into a career where he's been an inefficient, selfish ball hog who thinks he's far better than he is. His defense is average at best and he isn't a good shooter but lives to shoot.

Even in your unlikely hypothetical where dave endorsed him, as gm you have to look at your team needs and what you can afford to pay for pieces that likely don't move the needle.

Kyrie couldn't play 48 minutes a game. I think mo Williams took his minutes didn't he?
Mo averaged like 4 mpg, Delly not too much over. They were literally in the role of players giving him a few minutes for a breather and not much more. Irving averaged over 40 mpg. There weren't many minutes left over.

I don't think it is an unlikely hypothetical that Dave has endorsed him, that is IF Vlade is really going after him. I think it is the only way Vlade does it. Still a chance it is agent-driven rumor I suppose. Like last year with Monta Ellis - didn't Vlade deny ever talking to him?

But I'm not gonna follow everybody else over the cliff if we get this guy. I'm gonna assume it is like my "hypothetical" and that Dave Joerger is behind it. Why would Vlade, who has shown some focus and shrewdness to me (he hasn't really done anything I hate yet) - why would he force a middling SG down Dave's throat at this stage of things?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Then I'd question Coach Joerger's ability to evaluate talent.

Love this thread!!!
People are freaking out in style.

This is agent BS. I'm sure, Rajon is "locked in on Kings" as well and expects to get no less than $20m. There are only 2 or 3 SG jobs open in the league, so naturally Waiters' agent would focus on one of those.
Let's wait and see. Not going to happen anyway, but even Conley is still not off the market, I believe.

Whatever the reality is with Waiters, keep in mind that Vlade and team are working their butts off right now to secure talent in a constantly shifting landscape...they don't have time to refute rumors, discredit Wojo-bombs, or set our minds at ease. Until it comes from our FO, I'm not going to worry about Dion drama. Besides, I'm still holding out hope for Chuck Hayes to get re-signed!!!

Whatever the reality is with Waiters, keep in mind that Vlade and team are working their butts off right now to secure talent in a constantly shifting landscape...they don't have time to refute rumors, discredit Wojo-bombs, or set our minds at ease. Until it comes from our FO, I'm not going to worry about Dion drama. Besides, I'm still holding out hope for Chuck Hayes to get re-signed!!!

I'll just go back to last year and all the talk about Ellis that had Kings fans freaking out that turned out to be complete BS.

Now that I've jinxed it, Waiters announcement coming in 3...2...1...

4/$75M for Evan Turner

5/$85M for Fournier

This is bizarre
Good lord. I can live with the Fournier deal as I think he still has upside to become an even better player. He had a couple spurts last season where he looked absolutely outstanding.

Portland paying that for Turner is mind-boggling. He's a good player, but I don't understand the fit with CJ or Lillard. He's a playmaker/rebounder that needs to control the ball to be effective. Not a shooter at all and not a good scorer. Decent defender, but by no means great.

But yea, Allen Crabbe is there for the taking now though. There's no chance they commit close to $80mil after CJ's deal up to 4 wing players.

We can sign Crabbe to an offer sheet, with NO way Blazers match, then trade Koufos to the POR to ease salary burden, with space to sign Anderson....NO to Waiters!!!! Alternately we just sign Crabbe with no trade offer and keep Koufos as trade chip for PG....depends on wiggle room for adding Anderson. I think a S&T for Crabbe is way to go to get them both. Ben to POR becomes a possibility too, but Koufos frees up more space ($8M vs $4M).