Food thread/what are you eating?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The thing about cooking at home is that it only saves money if you're serving the same dish to multiple people, or if you're okay with eating leftovers. As one who was raised in a "leftovers" household, I find myself continually amazed at how many people appear to be philosophically opposed to the latter.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The thing about cooking at home is that it only saves money if you're serving the same dish to multiple people, or if you're okay with eating leftovers. As one who was raised in a "leftovers" household, I find myself continually amazed at how many people appear to be philosophically opposed to the latter.
some foods taste fine as leftovers and others not so much. Speaking of opposition to leftovers, it's amazing how much this country wastes in food in general.

do you think you don't like cooking because you aren't comfortable doing it properly? Long term, home cooking saves you lots of money and is much better for you than eating out constantly because you know what's in your food and how it's prepped.
As I said in an earlier post, I don't like cooking because it just doesn't excite me enough as it should, and as others around me expect it to. It doesn't have anything to do with my comfort level, but rather my level of excitement actually performing the task of cooking.

Food always tatse better when someone else makes it. Dishes can suck it.

I Iike leftovers 95% of the time. Spaghetti, chili, stews and soups, a lot of suaces, all taste better after a day or two IMO.

I'm lucky to have grown up in a cooking household. I learned a lot just being around my moms kitchen. My brother ended up a chef, im not that good.

Food always tatse better when someone else makes it. Dishes can suck it.

I Iike leftovers 95% of the time. Spaghetti, chili, stews and soups, a lot of suaces, all taste better after a day or two IMO.

I'm lucky to have grown up in a cooking household. I learned a lot just being around my moms kitchen. My brother ended up a chef, im not that good.
Many things taste better after a day or two. Especially those dishes that include something that is tossed into some form of sauce or broth. The longer you allow it to soak in the sauce or broth, the better it actually tastes.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I Iike leftovers 95% of the time. Spaghetti, chili, stews and soups, a lot of sauces, all taste better after a day or two IMO.
I believe this is a vicious lie told by parents to get their kids to eat leftovers, particularly spaghetti. I believed it when I was a kid, because I was told it was so, but by the time I was in my early teens I could clearly tell that leftover spaghetti was vastly, vastly inferior to fresh spaghetti. My first solution as an adult was to keep the sauce and pasta separate for leftovers, and to commingle only for reheating. That was much better. But the ultimate solution is to only keep leftover sauce. Cook only what pasta you will eat for that meal, drain it and immediately mix with the warmed sauce. Literally the only way. All other ways are a vicious lie.

Yeah I eat leftover spaghetti cold it so good. Also I use ground beef instead of sausage, shoot me. Thats how mom made it, thats how I like it.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Many things taste better after a day or two. Especially those dishes that include something that is tossed into some form of sauce or broth. The longer you allow it to soak in the sauce or broth, the better it actually tastes.
Chinese food falls into this category. The only downside is if you have something like crispy beef - the "crispy" part doesn't stay crispy overnight. But the flavor is fantastic.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m not sure if I ever talked about what I do in addition to my performing/translating day job but I’ve been slinging ramen for my friend’s ramen shop (okay, at this point it’s more like a medium-sized international corporation) for a good seven plus years at this point, both for the supplemental income but also because it’s really fun.

(please ignore the sloppy work station and bad angle in this picture)
72BCD43E-0E4F-452F-92BD-EB82BE4C7FD3.jpeg

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I’m not sure if I ever talked about what I do in addition to my performing/translating day job but I’ve been slinging ramen for my friend’s ramen shop (okay, at this point it’s more like a medium-sized international corporation) for a good seven plus years at this point, both for the supplemental income but also because it’s really fun.

(please ignore the sloppy work station and bad angle in this picture)
View attachment 11698
making proper ramen is an art in itself, what you have learned in seven years there will last you a lifetime and what better country to learn ramen then Japan? you could hold cooking lessons for interested parties.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
While down in Santa Barbara for a work-related function, my wife and I walked up the beach a bit from our hotel and ate at Convivio.

While we had a few small items along with the following (and everything was good), the bucatini (pasta dish with pancetta, chile, crushed tomato, and pecorino) and costolette (smoked and slow roasted, double brined pork ribs) in the photo were just fantastic. Billed as "Nomad Italian" fare, "It strays from the standard or traditional Italian, sourcing inspiration from many other cultures’ cooking" according to the website. And it does, to great effect (the rib seasoning, for instance, appeared to draw from more Mediterranean/Middle Eastern sources). My wife's drink (in photo) was a ginger-based concoction (if I recall correctly) that she really liked. The pasta was fairly traditional, but the richly-flavored sauce made me want to lick the plate afterwards.

Highly recommended if any of that sounds good to you.

Convivo (convivorestaurant.com)

unnamed.jpg

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
While down in Santa Barbara for a work-related function, my wife and I walked up the beach a bit from our hotel and ate at Convivio.

While we had a few small items along with the following (and everything was good), the bucatini (pasta dish with pancetta, chile, crushed tomato, and pecorino) and costolette (smoked and slow roasted, double brined pork ribs) in the photo were just fantastic. Billed as "Nomad Italian" fare, "It strays from the standard or traditional Italian, sourcing inspiration from many other cultures’ cooking" according to the website. And it does, to great effect (the rib seasoning, for instance, appeared to draw from more Mediterranean/Middle Eastern sources). My wife's drink (in photo) was a ginger-based concoction (if I recall correctly) that she really liked. The pasta was fairly traditional, but the richly-flavored sauce made me want to lick the plate afterwards.

Highly recommended if any of that sounds good to you.

Convivo (convivorestaurant.com)

View attachment 11807
those ribs look charred

If you have been to the Philippines you have had these. Pan De Sal. They are served hot right out of the oven in the early morning and then again in the afternoon. They are similar to a dinner roll but have a bit of sweetness and are rolled in bread crumbs. I like them plain with coffee but some put butter or stuff with fillings. Wife has been homesick lately so I made these this morning
47EC2241-DD0C-4673-A5ED-5C7AE31D1252.jpeg