Following Potential *2020* Draftees

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I watched the Washington/Mt. St. Marys game the other night to get a look at their touted freshman Isiah Stewart. The 6' 9", 250 lb PF/C. He was pretty much as advertised. He's built like a linebacker with long arms which help him guard taller players. And he has serious hops along with very good shotblocking timing. He needs to work on his rebounding fundamentals. He constantly lost position to smaller, weaker players. It wasn't from lack of effort, but lack of fundamentals.

Right now I would comp him as a Holmes type of player. Very good athlete with a non stop motor. He's very good around the basket, currently shooting around 60% overall. However, he appears to have little to no game away from the basket. But, it's early, and he's young. So we'll see where he's at in 10 or so games.

I thought Jaden McDaniels, the brother of Jalen McDaniels, Gotta love how they play with first names just to confuse us, player well. He didn't shoot the three well on this given night, but he has nice form, and his shot looks relaxed and is always on line with the basket. Plus, he had a couple that were halfway down and popped out. Point being, I think he shows potential as a 3 pt shooter. Aside from that, he impressed me with his ball handling, rebounding, and defense, which belies his 6'10", 185 lb body. He also defended well on the perimeter against quicker smaller players and surprised me with his passing ability. There might be something there.

The surprise player was Nahziah Carter, a 6'6", 205 lb SG/SF. This is his junior year, and after being played sparingly his first two years, he suddenly averaging just under 36 minutes a game. He's also averaging 18.5 ppg while shooting 48% overall and 50% from the three. However lets remember that he's only played two games, so those stats are somewhat worthless at this point. That aside, he was very impressive. He's a terrific athlete with an explosive first step off the dribble.

Twice in the game with the ball on the perimeter, he exploded by his defender, and left the earth from about 10 or so feet from the basket which resulted in two of the most spectacular dunks I've seen so far this year. This kid has serious hops. On his first dunk, his head was almost above the basket. However, what really impressed me was his defense. Several times he became isolated on the perimeter against Mt. St. Marys quick little PG who couldn't get past him. He certainly earned his way onto my watch list.

Thought I would do an update on Carter now after 8 games. He's now averaging 31 mpg and 14.6 ppg, while shooting 51.8% overall and 48.0% from the three. He's also averaging 1.8 steals and 6.6 rebounds. So far so good. He's starting to look like the real deal.

Last edited:
Tyrese Halliburton of Iowa State and Myles Powell of Seton Hall were the two most impressive prospects that I watched over Thanksgiving break. Tyrese plays a bit like a UCLA version of Lonzo Ball while Myles Powell plays like Donovan Mitchell. Haliburton is currently slated as a top 10 pick, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in the top 5. Powell would be a second round steal.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Tyrese Halliburton of Iowa State and Myles Powell of Seton Hall were the two most impressive prospects that I watched over Thanksgiving break. Tyrese plays a bit like a UCLA version of Lonzo Ball while Myles Powell plays like Donovan Mitchell. Haliburton is currently slated as a top 10 pick, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in the top 5. Powell would be a second round steal.
I don't disagree. Still early, so plenty of time to move up, or down. If your looking for a PG, then this is the draft for you. Right now, almost ten of the top twenty players are PG's. Not a lot of big men.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm always looking for a dark horse in the draft. Someone you might get in the 2nd rd that turns out to be a starter, or a solid rotational player. The King have a lot of 2nd rd picks in the next two drafts, so without further ado, I'll start with Paul Reed a 6'9", 220 lb PF from DePaul, who by the way is undefeated so far this year. Reed is part of the reason that they're undefeated.

If he so great why is he a 2nd rd pick he asks? Well, first, because he's a Junior and 2nd, because DePaul hasn't been a basketball powerhouse for quite a while, although it plays in the tough Big East Conference. DePaul also has a promising Freshman SF in Romeo Weems. Another player to keep your eye on. While most draft boards have Reek projected as a 2nd rd pick, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go toward the bottom of the 1st rd by years end.

Reed is currently averaging 15.6 ppg in 31 mpg. He's shooting 59.0% overall and 38.9% from the three. He shot 40% from the three last season, so it's not an aberration. Add in 10 rpg, 1.7 steals, and a terrific 3.4 blocks per game, and you might have something here. Reed isn't an elite athlete, but he's a good, fluid athlete who runs the floor well, but what impressed me was his ability to defend the ball on the perimeter as well as in the post. He has good lateral quickness, and instincts.

He has good court awareness. He knows when to cut to the basket and has a nose for the ball. His handles are pretty good for a big man, and he has shown some potential as a passer. I like this kid and see him as one of those players that ends up being better than projected. Here's a video;

bajaden

Hall of Famer
A player that I'm sure many of you haven't seen play is Obi Toppin from Dayton. Regardless, he's likely to be a lottery pick in the next draft. I haven't quite decided what Toppin is, a PF or a SF. Probably both! He's a very good athlete and already has an NBA body. This season he's averaging 20.1 ppg in 31 minutes a game while shooting a sizzling 63.9% overall and 41.4% from the three. He also averages 8.1 rebounds, 1 steal and 1.3 blocked shots a game. He has a great motor and runs the floor extremely well. In a draft populated by PG's and not many wings, he's a player who might work his way up into the top five.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I went and checked some of the draft sites and their all over the place for this player, who in my opinion is a top five pick. One site had him at 14 or 15 which I don't understand. I'm referring to Tyrese Haliburton the 6'5", 175lb PG for Iowa St. He would be a nice fit on the Kings since Joseph isn't in the long term future of the Kings. Haliburton is a good defender at the college level, a terrific passer, and a very efficient shooter. He's currently averaging 17.3 ppg in 33.2 minutes a game, while shooting 54.1% overall and 42.4% from the three. It's the 7.7 assists a game that impresses me along with 5.7 boards and 2.5 steals.

He's a good athlete with very good end to end speed. Obviously, at 175 pounds, he needs to get stronger, but so far it hasn't affected his game. The nice thing about Haliburton is that he's very good at playing off the ball, and at 6'5", he's quite capable of playing SG as well. Predicting where the Kings will pick in the draft right now is difficult. They could still make the playoffs (my hope), or they could continue to slide, but it the chance comes to grab Haliburton, I'd take him in a heart beat.

I'm always looking for a dark horse in the draft. Someone you might get in the 2nd rd that turns out to be a starter, or a solid rotational player. The King have a lot of 2nd rd picks in the next two drafts, so without further ado, I'll start with Paul Reed a 6'9", 220 lb PF from DePaul, who by the way is undefeated so far this year. Reed is part of the reason that they're undefeated.

If he so great why is he a 2nd rd pick he asks? Well, first, because he's a Junior and 2nd, because DePaul hasn't been a basketball powerhouse for quite a while, although it plays in the tough Big East Conference. DePaul also has a promising Freshman SF in Romeo Weems. Another player to keep your eye on. While most draft boards have Reek projected as a 2nd rd pick, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go toward the bottom of the 1st rd by years end.

Reed is currently averaging 15.6 ppg in 31 mpg. He's shooting 59.0% overall and 38.9% from the three. He shot 40% from the three last season, so it's not an aberration. Add in 10 rpg, 1.7 steals, and a terrific 3.4 blocks per game, and you might have something here. Reed isn't an elite athlete, but he's a good, fluid athlete who runs the floor well, but what impressed me was his ability to defend the ball on the perimeter as well as in the post. He has good lateral quickness, and instincts.

He has good court awareness. He knows when to cut to the basket and has a nose for the ball. His handles are pretty good for a big man, and he has shown some potential as a passer. I like this kid and see him as one of those players that ends up being better than projected. Here's a video;

@bajaden love your posts on players but I have a request. When you post the shooting percentages can you post their FT%? It has been shown FT% has one of the higher correlations to who becomes a good shooter. It’s one reason I like McDaniels.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
@bajaden love your posts on players but I have a request. When you post the shooting percentages can you post their FT%? It has been shown FT% has one of the higher correlations to who becomes a good shooter. It’s one reason I like McDaniels.
Not a problem. I'll do that in the future. Haliburton is shooting just a tick under 73% from the line. And, he shot just over 43% from the three last year, his freshman year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Game Theory guys are really big on Haliburton.
Yeah, I liked him last season, but you always wonder if the player is a one year aberration or not. I'm referring to his shooting of course. He has a strange looking shot, but it goes in and he replicates it every time. He dribbles with his head up, and he's not afraid to go in among'st the trees in spite of his thin 175 lb body. Unfortunately, I think he'll be a top 5 pick before the season is over.

Yeah, I liked him last season, but you always wonder if the player is a one year aberration or not. I'm referring to his shooting of course. He has a strange looking shot, but it goes in and he replicates it every time. He dribbles with his head up, and he's not afraid to go in among'st the trees in spite of his thin 175 lb body. Unfortunately, I think he'll be a top 5 pick before the season is over.
yeah McDaniel is rising also and may be gone before we pick.

I went and checked some of the draft sites and their all over the place for this player, who in my opinion is a top five pick. One site had him at 14 or 15 which I don't understand. I'm referring to Tyrese Haliburton the 6'5", 175lb PG for Iowa St. He would be a nice fit on the Kings since Joseph isn't in the long term future of the Kings. Haliburton is a good defender at the college level, a terrific passer, and a very efficient shooter. He's currently averaging 17.3 ppg in 33.2 minutes a game, while shooting 54.1% overall and 42.4% from the three. It's the 7.7 assists a game that impresses me along with 5.7 boards and 2.5 steals.

He's a good athlete with very good end to end speed. Obviously, at 175 pounds, he needs to get stronger, but so far it hasn't affected his game. The nice thing about Haliburton is that he's very good at playing off the ball, and at 6'5", he's quite capable of playing SG as well. Predicting where the Kings will pick in the draft right now is difficult. They could still make the playoffs (my hope), or they could continue to slide, but it the chance comes to grab Haliburton, I'd take him in a heart beat.
I've been extremely high on Halliburton since the Thxgiving tournaments. Best prospect from those sets of games that I saw. If he ends up playing the 2 at the NBA level, he has the skills and physical attributes to play like Doug on offense and eventually defense (with his length). Would very much like him on the Kings.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
In my never ending search for 2nd rd steals, Saddiq Bey from Villanova could be one of those players. He's at least partially responsible for Villanova's resurgence this season. His game has really exploded this year, his sophmore season. After averaging 8.2 ppg on 45.8% shooting overall and shooting a respectable 37.4% from the three last season, this year he's averaging 15.3 ppg on 50.9% shooting overall while shooting 44.6% from the three. He's also a 81.8% free throw shooter and is grabbing 5.3 boards a game.

At 6'8", around 220 lbs he has already has an NBA body, and can play both the forward spots. How that translates to the NBA is anyone's guess, but we are talking 2nd round here. I would say he's an average athlete, but his handles are adequate enough, and he has very good BBIQ. He knows how to play the game. Judging his growth from his freshman year to this season, one has to believe he still has more growth left in him. We know he's being well coached at Villanova, and Jay Wright is excellent at developing players. DiVincenzo, Bridges, Paschal, and Spellman are prime examples of that.

Anyway, Bey is someone I would keep my eye on. While an average athlete, he's a smart player, and a skilled player.

I thought that since were well into the college season, (19 games), I would do an update on Bey. I really, really like Bey, and if he's sitting there when we choose, I would lean very hard toward taking him. Bey has not only maintained his torrid 3pt shooting, but he's increased his 3 pt shooting percentage from a terrific 44.6% to 45.7%, and that's while taking 5 a game. His freethrow percentage has dipped a bit from 81.8% to 79.6%, but still very very good.

The impression I want to change is about his athleticism. I stated that he was an average athlete, but after watching him for 19 games, I would say he's an above average athlete, but not an elite athlete. Where he really stands out, his offense aside, is on the defensive side of the ball. He's a terrific defender and game after game, Jay Wright has him guarding the best player on the other team, one through five. To my mind, if you can draft a player that can produce offensively, and be a lock down defender as well, you have to take him.

Right now, Bey is the best player on the Villanova team, and the one most responsible for their success.. Unfortunately for us, he's rising on most of the draft boards, which may or may not matter.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
In my never ending search for 2nd rd steals, Saddiq Bey from Villanova could be one of those players. He's at least partially responsible for Villanova's resurgence this season. His game has really exploded this year, his sophmore season. After averaging 8.2 ppg on 45.8% shooting overall and shooting a respectable 37.4% from the three last season, this year he's averaging 15.3 ppg on 50.9% shooting overall while shooting 44.6% from the three. He's also a 81.8% free throw shooter and is grabbing 5.3 boards a game.

At 6'8", around 220 lbs he has already has an NBA body, and can play both the forward spots. How that translates to the NBA is anyone's guess, but we are talking 2nd round here. I would say he's an average athlete, but his handles are adequate enough, and he has very good BBIQ. He knows how to play the game. Judging his growth from his freshman year to this season, one has to believe he still has more growth left in him. We know he's being well coached at Villanova, and Jay Wright is excellent at developing players. DiVincenzo, Bridges, Paschal, and Spellman are prime examples of that.

Anyway, Bey is someone I would keep my eye on. While an average athlete, he's a smart player, and a skilled player.

well if there is one thing we've learned over the years it's that smarts & skill > athletic ability

It takes a bit to get into, but it's one of the more watchable videos around of Sylla.

Yeah still pissed Vlade didn’t draft Bonga in the 2nd round. Good video. Trading the draft pick to Portland when Kurocs and Bonga were still on the board was in excusable.

What a ****ed up draft for Vlade. Bagley over Doncic and then trading your pick.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
OK, by popular demand, Jaden McDaniels, the 6'10", 200 lb, SF/PF from Washington. Now that I've had a chance to see him play more than a couple of games, I can confirm that he's a better player than his brother. Currently he's averaging 33.4 mpg, and 13.5 ppg on 42.1% shooting overall and 34.8% from the three. He's also shooting 73.4% from the line along with 6.4 rebounds. While you might be somewhat skeptical of his 3 pt percentage, I personally don't have any doubts that he'll be fine shooting the three in the NBA.

He has nice form on his shot, and what separates him for some others, especially at his size, is his ability to create his own shot off the dribble. There are times when he'll remind you of Durant with his ability to ball fake and then rise up above you and shoot. Please, I'm not saying he's the next Durant. He has excellent handles for a 6'10" player, and is a good passer as well, averaging 2.2 assists a game. In short, this kid has a lot of potential. So what's the problem you ask?

Good question! Right now his weight is somewhere between 185 and 200 lbs, depending on who you believe. Either way, you have to wonder how much weight he can carry comfortably on his narrow frame. Some of the same questions were asked about Kevin Durant when he came out of college. There's also the question about what position he'll play in the NBA. I can't see him matching up well, at least now, against some of the bigger PF's in the NBA. But is he quick enough to play the SF position. I think he is!

So far, McDaniels has been an above average defender for Washington, and a decent to good rim protector as well, blocking 1.4 shots a game. He does a good job keeping his man in front of him on the perimeter, and doesn't give up on the play when beaten off the dribble. Right now, he looks like a top five pick. By comparison, in the Doncic/Bagley/Jackson draft, he likely would have been picked somewhere around 14 or 15. I may change that opinion by March Madness.

I have some questions about McDaniels, but my gut tells me he's one of those players that could be far better than most think right now. He's a far more aggressive player than his brother was, and he plays with an air of confidence that I like. Also, despite his narrow frame and lack of muscle, he's not afraid to attack the basket offensively, or go in and bang bodies for a rebound.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Are you interested in a 6'9" PG? There's going to be one in the coming draft, although he's listed on most draft boards as a SF. I'm speaking of Deni Avdija, who many are touting as the next big European star. He's not quite there yet, but if you watch him play, you can see the talent. He plays with an air of confidence that's rare in 19 year old's. Many talk a good game, but shrink once on the court. Not Avdija. Your either going to love him or hate him, depending on which team your on.

While playing on the under 19 Israeli national team he clinched the game against Spain with a last second basket and a and one. Before shooting the free throw, he went over to Spain's bench and took a bow, and then waved goodbye. There was no love lost there. He now play's for Israeli Maccabi Tel Aviv as a professional and figures to be a top lottery pick in the coming draft. There have been the usual comparisons to Doncic, but even Avdija disagrees with that appraisal, saying that Doncic had already played professional ball for three years.

Deni is a very talented player who you can slide in just about anywhere on the floor. For the national team he defended the other teams PF, while playing PG on offense. He has PG handles, terrific court vision and is a very good passer, although guilty of trying to make passes that aren't there on occasion. Most think he will be a good jump shooter once in the NBA, although he's a career 32% 3pt shooter so far, and his 58% average from the free throw line isn't encouraging either.

But as one scout put it, all he needs is court discipline. The scout said that if Avdija improves his shot selection his three pt average will go up. He has excellent BBIQ, and he wants to be great. His father played for the national Serbian team, Red Star and was the team captain. His mother an Israeli, was a track star, and also a basketball player. So he has the pedigree. In the open court Avdija displays great end to end speed, but is also an excellent pin point outlet passer. He's turned himself into a fairly good defender, and he's a decent shot blocker as well.

So when you look at Avdija, are you looking at fools gold, or a diamond in the rough. Taking him high in the draft could be a gamble, but it could also pay huge dividends. He's definitely a polarizing player, who is chrismatic, brash, and confident, but with a touch of humility, as he also seems to know he still has a lot to learn.

This video will give you a little info about his background etc.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Are you interested in a 6'9" PG? There's going to be one in the coming draft, although he's listed on most draft boards as a SF. I'm speaking of Deni Avdija
Sign me up! I know that highlight reels are notoriously dangerous to base scouting on, but I was sold at about 1:48 on the first video when he blew by a guard who started out in front of him on the fast break. Speed/athleticism/size? Check. Defense? Check. (Note the four blocks in one game on that highlight reel.) Ballhandling/passing? Check. Jump shot? Form looks good, though I see his percentages are mediocre. Workable. Versatility in getting to the basket? Check. Bit o' nasty? Check.

It looks like there's the potential for a heck of an NBA player in there.

wow, look at the zufer's son!!!

since i lost fate in any positive kind of result in this season, and relatively high (5-10) lottery pick is in the air, mock drafts drew my attention.

i can tell you, i'm completely in a deni avdija bandwagon. one of the first links had a short comparison
Doncic lite... A smooth wing who can score in the half-court and has eyes in the back of his head. Big, talented and physically gifted.
hm, eyes in the back of his head... intriguing

then, i took a peak into a scouting reports

pros

catch-and-shoot motion averaging ~0.7 seconds
Absurd passing ability for his age
Passing is backed with desirable overall velocity, featuring excellent accuracy to hit his shooters right in the pocket
Plus-level handle, especially at his height of 6’7.5″(?). Comfortably involves the left hand
off- and on-ball scorer. This is largely thanks to his size paired with solid fundamentals, coordination levels, and feel.
shows decent lateral speed for size
Excellent reaction time: deflections, loose balls, incoming opposition
A-tier reaction speed
cons

Demonstrates craft and touch, but the non-existence of a left hand hurts his dynamism here
Resistant to go left
Particularly streaky shooter with lower efficiency marks than you’d expect
there are legitimate “overall” questions about efficiency–especially if forced to create versus superior athletes
Needs to do a much better job of monitoring weak side activity and with rotating in accordance

if vlade pased on luka, let's go for this kid, if we get proper first-round pick. his father, zufer, played in red star throughout whole 80-es and vlade knows him very vell. kid is 18 yrs old, plays 12 mins in euroleague...

i see him as new dončić or in worst case bjelica 2.0 with killer instict

I like Obi Toppin. He doesn't get a lot of talk but he passes all the eye tests. Watching video of him, he is active and smart on both offense and defense. He can shoot the three. He has good post moves. He is strong and lanky at the same time. A common theme in his highlights is him running down the court past everyone. He also has surprisingly smooth handles for a guy his size. He's good in the PnR. I can't think of many negatives for him.

And one major thing is it appears his presence on the court has a positive impact. I watch vids of Edwards and he's trying to score but his team is not doing well. I watch Toppin and I keep seeing positive plays.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Obi Toppin. He doesn't get a lot of talk but he passes all the eye tests. Watching video of him, he is active and smart on both offense and defense. He can shoot the three. He has good post moves. He is strong and lanky at the same time. A common theme in his highlights is him running down the court past everyone. He also has surprisingly smooth handles for a guy his size. He's good in the PnR. I can't think of many negatives for him.

And one major thing is it appears his presence on the court has a positive impact. I watch vids of Edwards and he's trying to score but his team is not doing well. I watch Toppin and I keep seeing positive plays.
Toppin is one of those at the top of my list. Offensively, he's got the whole package. He's a terrific athlete, runs the floor as well as anyone in college. He can shoot from the outside and score on the inside. He's also a good rebounder, and he already has an NBA body. If I had to pick out a negative, it would be losing focus on defense, or perhaps taking a play off on defense. But you can see what he's capable of. Not sure the Kings will have a shot at him though since he'll likely go in the top 5 picks. But if he's sitting there when the Kings pick, I'd take him in a heartbeat.