Following 2019 draftees!!!

There's a rumor floating around that if the Knicks hit the #1 pick they could deal Kevin Knox, the pick(Zion), Frank Ntilikina and Future picks for Anthony Davis.

Then I presume they'd sign Kyrie and KD and a behemoth in the east will have risen.

they have a bunch of picks from the Porzingis trade too.. the lotto odds are even this year at the top tho, we'll see..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's a rumor floating around that if the Knicks hit the #1 pick they could deal Kevin Knox, the pick(Zion), Frank Ntilikina and Future picks for Anthony Davis.

Then I presume they'd sign Kyrie and KD and a behemoth in the east will have risen.

they have a bunch of picks from the Porzingis trade too.. the lotto odds are even this year at the top tho, we'll see..
The team in the lottery that has to be worried is Memphis. They currently sit in the 8th spot, and their pick is top 8 protected. They have to hope that one of the teams behind them doesn't jump over them and push them into the 9th spot. Their pick would then go to the Boston Celtics, giving the Celtics 4 first round picks in this draft.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
By the way, for those living in a closet somewhere, the Lottery is on tuesday at 5:30 pm on ESPN. The NBA draft Combine is on thursday and friday on ESPN2 from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Personally I think the combine coverage is poor, but it's better than nothing. The scrimmage's should hold more interest this year since they're made up of players more likely to go in the bottom of the first rd, and in the 2nd rd.

I have an interesting one.... Would you trade Bogey(and Mason) for Darius Garland's rights???? I think I would...

PG - Fox, Garland, Yogi
SG - Buddy, Free Agent (Terrence Ross?), Yogi/Fox/Garland, (Brewer?)
SF - Barnes, FA, Admiral Schofield (2nd rd pick)
PF - Marvin, Bjelly, Isaiah Roby (2nd rd pick)
C - Willie, Giles, Swanigan

Looks like a playoff team to me...

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I have an interesting one.... Would you trade Bogey(and Mason) for Darius Garland's rights???? I think I would...

PG - Fox, Garland, Yogi

That's a tough one. First, I like Garland. But we only have a small sampling before he got injured. It's obvious though, that he was the engine, the heart of that Vandy team. That said, I'm not sure I want to give up an established, glue type player like Bog's for an unproven player that only played four college games (not counting the last one in which he was injured). And that's not meant to be a knock on Garland. I would love to have him, it's just a matter of what I'd have to give up to get him.

I'm a big believer in team chemistry. And to some extent that chemistry comes from putting together a core and keeping them together. I believe it takes time for a team to develop the proper chemistry it takes to win. There are exceptions of course, but in general it simply takes time. I believe Bog's is currently part of that core. So the question is, is the possible gain, with emphasis on the word possible, worth the risk?

By the way, I do like the addition of Ross, who can play multiple positions and who can defend. I think I would like to take a shot at one of the injured players with one of our 2nd rd picks. Porter or Okeke. I don't dislike Roby, but I'd rather gamble on Bazley. Of course my first choice is still Windler, but I suspect that many have seen what I've seen and he'll go before we get a chance at him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I thought I'd mention some dark horses that might have gotten overlooked because they played in a lesser conference, or on a bad team. One such player would be Jalen Pickett, a 6'4" freshman PG from Siena. While Siena didn't have a great year, going 17 and 16, Pickett stood out averaging 15.8 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 6.7 apg and 2.0 steals a game. He shot 43.6% overall, and 34.8% from the three. His outside shot has to improve, and his handles need to tighten a bit, although he had no problem creating his own shot with his herky jerky movements, and jab steps.

I'm not quite sure how good an athlete he is yet, since I didn't get to see him up against some of the top athletic point guards. He definitely has an NBA body already, and I'd like to see him attack the basket a bit more. but all in all, I think he's a player that could be a player down the road. He's a good passer with seemingly good court vision. He's not Ja Morant or Garland, but he has the size of today's modern PG, and he is skilled. I just need to see him up against better competition.

Beiliein is gonna coach the Cavs!! wow.

HUGE blow for UM basketball tho srsly, he was smart to get out while he could and it's a good fit on the Cavs I think. Their chances of being able to compete with Izzo and MSU in the coming years just went from slim to none.

That's a tough one. First, I like Garland. But we only have a small sampling before he got injured. It's obvious though, that he was the engine, the heart of that Vandy team. That said, I'm not sure I want to give up an established, glue type player like Bog's for an unproven player that only played four college games (not counting the last one in which he was injured). And that's not meant to be a knock on Garland. I would love to have him, it's just a matter of what I'd have to give up to get him.

I'm a big believer in team chemistry. And to some extent that chemistry comes from putting together a core and keeping them together. I believe it takes time for a team to develop the proper chemistry it takes to win. There are exceptions of course, but in general it simply takes time. I believe Bog's is currently part of that core. So the question is, is the possible gain, with emphasis on the word possible, worth the risk?

By the way, I do like the addition of Ross, who can play multiple positions and who can defend. I think I would like to take a shot at one of the injured players with one of our 2nd rd picks. Porter or Okeke. I don't dislike Roby, but I'd rather gamble on Bazley. Of course my first choice is still Windler, but I suspect that many have seen what I've seen and he'll go before we get a chance at him.
I LOVE Garland, thats why I like that idea! He's one of the guys in this draft that i'd bet on outside of the top few. I would LOVE to hear what Bagley has to say about Darius Garland --- I guarantee ya he loves that idea of trading up for him...

He's 6'2" and could play with Fox, we could get away with Garland, Fox, Buddy at PG, SG and SF --- not a doubt in my mind, if they will play Yogi and Frank at the same time this lineup would get run, and it'd probably be lights out cuz Garland and Buddy can space the floor spectacularly for Fox.............. (plz vladeee get us darius garland!!!)

I first saw him when he musta been 5'5" or 5'6", and I was watching because of, Marvin Bagley, and I couldn't help but notice, damn this lil kid can shoot better than me! LOL and that was Darius Garland. I swear, I dont know if I've ever seen a lil fella that looked like a better shooter than him at that age, he was automatic from the corners, and the shot just looks good out of his hands --- and its a super fast release, even for an NBA starting PG he's got a fast release.. Well under 1 second. It didn't occur to me in that game that his father played 800 games in the NBA, but obviously seeing his skills it all makes plenty of sense..

The more I think about that Ross idea the more I really like it too. Replace Burks, Shumpert, and Corey Brewer in one player and major upgrade, plus plenty affordable, and there's a chance he could outperform for years.

We have this great ballmovement from guard all the way to center so the best way to capitalize on that is to get snipers who can hitopen looks and Garland (and Ross) are that in spades... U can't convince me that team doesnt win 50+ games if relatively healthy. Plus i mean if Fox goes down, as currently constituted, the show is over.... With Garland at least you have this kinda very talented, lets take the training wheels off and see what happens type of thing, Yogi and Frank arent that guy they arent suited for high volume..

Garland would hit cold-blooded 3's for us in year 1. I think he's a shooter of the ilk of Bryn Forbes and he's much better player when u subtract the 3pt shooting totally, could be a game-changer i think.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I LOVE Garland, thats why I like that idea! He's one of the guys in this draft that i'd bet on outside of the top few. I would LOVE to hear what Bagley has to say about Darius Garland --- I guarantee ya he loves that idea of trading up for him...

He's 6'2" and could play with Fox, we could get away with Garland, Fox, Buddy at PG, SG and SF --- not a doubt in my mind, if they will play Yogi and Frank at the same time this lineup would get run, and it'd probably be lights out cuz Garland and Buddy can space the floor spectacularly for Fox.............. (plz vladeee get us darius garland!!!)

I first saw him when he musta been 5'5" or 5'6", and I was watching because of, Marvin Bagley, and I couldn't help but notice, damn this lil kid can shoot better than me! LOL and that was Darius Garland. I swear, I dont know if I've ever seen a lil fella that looked like a better shooter than him at that age, he was automatic from the corners, and the shot just looks good out of his hands --- and its a super fast release, even for an NBA starting PG he's got a fast release.. Well under 1 second. It didn't occur to me in that game that his father played 800 games in the NBA, but obviously seeing his skills it all makes plenty of sense..

The more I think about that Ross idea the more I really like it too. Replace Burks, Shumpert, and Corey Brewer in one player and major upgrade, plus plenty affordable, and there's a chance he could outperform for years.

We have this great ballmovement from guard all the way to center so the best way to capitalize on that is to get snipers who can hitopen looks and Garland (and Ross) are that in spades... U can't convince me that team doesnt win 50+ games if relatively healthy. Plus i mean if Fox goes down, as currently constituted, the show is over.... With Garland at least you have this kinda very talented, lets take the training wheels off and see what happens type of thing, Yogi and Frank arent that guy they arent suited for high volume..

Garland would hit cold-blooded 3's for us in year 1. I think he's a shooter of the ilk of Bryn Forbes and he's much better player when u subtract the 3pt shooting totally, could be a game-changer i think.
As I said, I really like Garland, and I see where your going with it. Where I would disagree, at least to start with is with Buddy at the three. I plant Barnes there as my starter. To me, Garland becomes the backup PG behind Fox, and goodbye Yogi and Mason. How that works out down the road, is up for grabs, but I want a legit sized player at every wing position. Now, having said that, I can certainly see times when you could have Garland and Fox on the floor at the same time, which would mean Garland would still get significant minutes. But that would be when I want Ross on the floor, so we would still have some size at two of the wing positions.

My problem with the entire scenario is that it doesn't address our need at the center position if the Kings decide to go in a different direction than Willie. That's why I suggested a trade up to grab Bol Bol. Of course there's his foot situation, which would make it a risk. I'd have to see his medical reports. There are other less expensive options later in the draft, like Bruno Fernando, Daniel Gafford, Nic Claxton and Moses Brown, although I believe that both Claxton and Brown will pull out of the draft if they don't get a 1st rd promise from a team.

PG - Fox, Garland, Yogi

100000%, but Bogdan doesn't have that kind of value imo. I think Garland goes top 10, probably top 5.

But you have to think about the Fox fit. Both are ball-dominant lead guards. If we passed up on Doncic last year because of Fox, then I would be extremely upset to see them trade up for Garland.. that's just my take.

I wouldn't trade Bogi for a 6'2" combo guard that isn't a jaw dropping athlete. He could be a good player though, his game reminds me of BoJax a little.

100000%, but Bogdan doesn't have that kind of value imo. I think Garland goes top 10, probably top 5.

But you have to think about the Fox fit. Both are ball-dominant lead guards. If we passed up on Doncic last year because of Fox, then I would be extremely upset to see them trade up for Garland.. that's just my take.

Outside of a few guys this draft is sketchy, remember that. When you see more than a few players shift from top 10 to bottom 10 depending on the mock it means consensus is out the window.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
In my ever ending search for a solid dark horse candidate, I thought I'd highlight a player who could be the second coming of Lou Williams. OK, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but this player was one of the most fun players to watch this season. I just wish that Hofstra was on television more. If drafted, and I think he should be, he'll definitely go in the 2nd rd, but it's possible he goes undrafted, and if so, I'd try to sign him to a two way contract for our G-League team.

I'm referring to Justin Wright-Foreman, the 6'2" PG/SG from Hofstra. He can score from anywhere on the court and he does so efficiently. He averaged 27.1 ppg, while shooting a blistering 51.1% overall, and 42.5% from the three. He's another southpaw (you can't have too many) who is more of a score first PG than a passer. However, he can be very creative when he does decide to pass the ball. He's very good at getting into the lane, drawing attention and then kicking the ball outside, or dishing to a cutter in the lane.

Yes, he's very ball dominate, and he only averaged around 3 assists a game, which isn't that great considering his usage, but, you can see he has the talent and the floor vision to do more. So it's hard to pass judgement when he played in a system where he was the number one scoring option. He has a very quick first step off the dribble, and can shoot off one leg off the dribble as well, which he does efficiently. He has every scoring tool in his bag, and if you can put points on the board, they can usually find a place for you in the NBA.

You can see he's a very talented kid. So, you ask why is he a 2nd rd to not being drafted pick? Three reasons: First, he's envisioned as more of a SG than a PG. Second, he's a senior and has that age thing working against him. Third, he played his entire college career at Hofstra against lesser competition. All that's true, but lets remember that a lot of players (PG's) came from schools in 2nd tier conferences. Damien Lillard, John Stockton, Steph Curry, Steve Nash, etc.

If I'm the Kings, I certainly bring him in for a workout.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Anyone remember Brian Bowen? Anyone? Didn't think so. He was a five star recruit coming out of high school who committed to Louisville, and unfortunately he became the face of the college recruitment scandal. Of course Pitino was fired along with some of his staff, and even though Bowen himself was cleared by the FBI, the school said he could retain his scholarship, but wouldn't be allowed to play on the basketball team. He then transferred to the University of South Carolina if memory serves, but then was told he basically couldn't play for over a year because of NCAA rules.

At that point he went to Australia and signed with the Sidney Kings. Long story short, he's going to be in the coming draft and probably deserves a look see. When last seen he was a 6'7" SF who was a prolific scorer in high school. He also played well in the Jordan Brand classic and the Nike all star games. I believe he was named the player of the game in one of them. Too lazy to look it up. Not a lot of film on him, but here is a short video.

He is a terrifc pure PG, not a combo guard at all, he is a great shooter tho. His Father Winston was a PG in the NBA.
I wouldn't trade Bogi for a 6'2" combo guard that isn't a jaw dropping athlete. He could be a good player though, his game reminds me of BoJax a little.

Last edited:
In my ever ending search for a solid dark horse candidate, I thought I'd highlight a player who could be the second coming of Lou Williams. OK, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but this player was one of the most fun players to watch this season. I just wish that Hofstra was on television more. If drafted, and I think he should be, he'll definitely go in the 2nd rd, but it's possible he goes undrafted, and if so, I'd try to sign him to a two way contract for our G-League team.

I'm referring to Justin Wright-Foreman, the 6'2" PG/SG from Hofstra. He can score from anywhere on the court and he does so efficiently. He averaged 27.1 ppg, while shooting a blistering 51.1% overall, and 42.5% from the three. He's another southpaw (you can't have too many) who is more of a score first PG than a passer. However, he can be very creative when he does decide to pass the ball. He's very good at getting into the lane, drawing attention and then kicking the ball outside, or dishing to a cutter in the lane.

Yes, he's very ball dominate, and he only averaged around 3 assists a game, which isn't that great considering his usage, but, you can see he has the talent and the floor vision to do more. So it's hard to pass judgement when he played in a system where he was the number one scoring option. He has a very quick first step off the dribble, and can shoot off one leg off the dribble as well, which he does efficiently. He has every scoring tool in his bag, and if you can put points on the board, they can usually find a place for you in the NBA.

You can see he's a very talented kid. So, you ask why is he a 2nd rd to not being drafted pick? Three reasons: First, he's envisioned as more of a SG than a PG. Second, he's a senior and has that age thing working against him. Third, he played his entire college career at Hofstra against lesser competition. All that's true, but lets remember that a lot of players (PG's) came from schools in 2nd tier conferences. Damien Lillard, John Stockton, Steph Curry, Steve Nash, etc.

If I'm the Kings, I certainly bring him in for a workout.
Very interesting, I'll be doing more research on this kid.

Baja, what do you think of Shamorie Ponds? The more I see of him, the more I really like him. He is extremely smooth and skilled. Another small-school guy but very productive and produced against big teams when he was matched up with them. He just looks way too skilled to me to be this slept on. Some of the things he does, not many other players can do. Definitely passes the eye test. Unfortunately, my opinion comes entirely from watching as many videos and clips as possible, and reading about him, so I'm sure I'm not getting the same exposure to the weaker parts of his game. Didn't have the opportunity to catch any full St. John's games.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Very interesting, I'll be doing more research on this kid.

Baja, what do you think of Shamorie Ponds? The more I see of him, the more I really like him. He is extremely smooth and skilled. Another small-school guy but very productive and produced against big teams when he was matched up with them. He just looks way too skilled to me to be this slept on. Some of the things he does, not many other players can do. Definitely passes the eye test. Unfortunately, my opinion comes entirely from watching as many videos and clips as possible, and reading about him, so I'm sure I'm not getting the same exposure to the weaker parts of his game. Didn't have the opportunity to catch any full St. John's games.
Funny you should ask because he was another player that I was going to mention. I wouldn't exactly call him a dark horse, because I think most people that watch college basketball know his name. I've seen his name bandied about from the very bottom of the 1st rd to going undrafted. There were times this season when he certainly looked like a 1st rd pick. I had the opportunity to see him play several times at St. Johns, which is in one of the tougher conferences, the Big East, with teams like Villanova and Marquette.

I like Ponds, but I wish he were a bit taller, or had a bigger wingspan. He's listed at 6'1" with around a 6'2" wingspan. What I'm looking for in a backup PG is a little more size. However, my personal desires aside, there's a lot to like about Ponds. He probably has as much shake and bake as any wing player in the draft. He can turn you every which way from Sunday with some of his moves. As result, he had no problem getting to the basket or creating his own shot. He owned the lane.

Ponds is also a very creative passer who will bring some ooh's and aah's from the crowd from time to time. I believe he averaged around 5 or 6 assists a game. I wouldn't call Ponds a great defender, but more of an opportunistic pesky defender. He'll get his share of steals, and he works hard to keep his man in front of him. His jumpshot looks OK, but erratic. He's what I call a hot and cold shooter. He's either on, or he's off, but he managed to shoot around 35% from the three, and I believe that with work, he can become at minimum, a respected outside threat.

Can Ponds run a team? My guess is yes. Can he defend at the NBA level? I think he can at least be respectable, and not a liability, depending on the matchup. Would I be disappointed if we were to draft him? No! He's not my first choice, but I do think he has a chance to be a rotational player. Maybe more...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What do you think about Zylan’s fit with the Kings?

I have mixed feelings about Cheatham. Terrific athlete who is a quick leaper. Looks like he's on a pogo stick at times. His strengths are his rebounding, and defense. Very good rebounder who always seems to be around the ball. Averaged over 10 boards a game. Good defender who, at least at the college level did a good job of staying in front of his man.

My problem is with his offense. As mentioned above, he has one of the worse looking free throw shots I've ever seen. That doesn't bode well for his jumpshot, which will be a problem if he has to play PF in the NBA, which I think would have to be his position, with the exception as a small ball center. Overall, he's a work in progress offensively. Almost all of his points come at the basket. Yes, I believe he shot around 40% from the three, but he only took around 25/26 attempts, and the previous two years he shot under 20%. So this year looks more like an aberration.

He did average around 3 assists a game, but he also turned the ball over 3 times a game. Unless you see him as a perfect fit for your team, I wouldn't be interested. He does have some nice post moves, but doesn't seem to have good touch around the basket. A lot of his baskets are put backs off his own misses. If you draft him your betting he has a lot of improvement left in him, or you see him as a situational player, which is a luxury for most teams.

UCF's Tacko Fall official measurements at the NBA Combine: 7'5 1/4 without shoes, 7'7 with shoes, 289 pounds, 8'2 1/4 wingspan, 10'2 1/2 standing reach, 6.8% body fat. Tacko just broke every figure in our database for height, wingspan and reach, dating back to the 80s.
I think Tacko has a future in the NBA as a rotational big with limited minutes. Similarly to what we see with Marjanovic. A big who can give you 5-10mins off the bench and make a small impact in the game. There's always going to be a spot in the NBA for those types of bigs. His measurements are just insane.

USC's Kevin Porter official measurements at the NBA Combine: 6'5 1/2 with shoes, 213 pounds, 6'10 wingspan, 8'7 standing reach, 5.1% body fat.
Oof, shorter than I expected all-around. Not sure he can check bigger wings anymore. Still a good SG prospect though.

Gonzaga's Brandon Clarke official measurements at the NBA Combine: 6'8 1/4 with shoes, 207 pounds, 6'8 1/4 wingspan, 8'6 standing reach, 4.9% body fat.
yikes... sorry to bag on theStephien, but their composite rankings put him at #5. He's truly a small ball 4... but with his lack of wingspan and weight, that really concerns me. I think he's going to get bullied in the NBA. Rebounding against legitimate NBA bigs could be a problem too.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Tacko Fall is a project of huge proportions. I thought I'd use a play on words there, although true. The problem Tacko is going to have in the NBA is that he's going to have to play away from the basket, and right now, he has almost zero game away from the basket. No doubt, he's similar to Marjanovic in that if you can get him the ball within 3 or 4 feet of the basket, it's hard to keep him from scoring. But man, he has a long way to go before he's a legit NBA player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Another player that I like, and who I think without a doubt is an NBA player at some point, is DaQuan Jeffries, a 6'5" SG/SF out of Tulsa. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of video of him, so I'm posting an interview with a little footage included. He's a laid back player when interviewed, but not so much on the floor, where he's one of the better defenders in college. He has a Mitch Richmond type build and is a terrific athlete with huge hands. His favorite player is Kawhi Leonard.

Like Leonard, he takes pride in his defense and he was able to guard 4 positions in college. He's an effective offensive player as well shooting 52% overall in his 3 years of college, while averaging just a tick under 38% from three all three years. His 3pt percentage goes up if you only count catch and shoot shots. I think most scouts project him as a 3 and D player, but he's very good at attacking the basket. He won the college slam dunk contest as well. His handles are good enough to play the two, but could use some tightening. I definitely see Jeffries as an NBA rotational player.

Tacko Fall is a project of huge proportions. I thought I'd use a play on words there, although true. The problem Tacko is going to have in the NBA is that he's going to have to play away from the basket, and right now, he has almost zero game away from the basket. No doubt, he's similar to Marjanovic in that if you can get him the ball within 3 or 4 feet of the basket, it's hard to keep him from scoring. But man, he has a long way to go before he's a legit NBA player.

That's the thing, there is a spot for players like that if used right. His hands aren't nearly as good as Bobans though. The thing that's different about Fall than most players that size is his ability to run the floor. He moves up and down very well and isn't a total stiff laterally.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That's the thing, there is a spot for players like that if used right. His hands aren't nearly as good as Bobans though. The thing that's different about Fall than most players that size is his ability to run the floor. He moves up and down very well and isn't a total stiff laterally.
Yeah, I'm not saying he can't play in the NBA, just that he has a lot of work to do. He's not a great athlete, but as you said, he's a better athlete than Marjanovic. If the Kings are interested, then I'd try and sign him to a two way contract and see if you can develop him. I doubt he gets drafted.

Kevin Porter can easily check bigger wings, he's very strong. Defensive potential isnt really the issue with him, its offensive skill and there's some 'character concerns'

Can't say im surprised with the Brandon Clarke measurements, actuallly I suspected that all along.. I dont think those #'s are really terrible tbh, he is extremely athletic and plays bigger than that. The rim is only 10' high and he reaches it very quickly, and has shown excellent anticipation. Not sure if he's like a top8 pick tho.

Tacko Fall is gonna go undrafted, he is gonna get flagged 5x over on medical stuff... The kid is gonna be just fine tho, he is actually supposed to be a very bright.. He'll get looks, but i wouldnt expect any teams to bend over backwards for him in this draft, he's old too.

Those Tacko Fall measurements are insane tho ! LOL. He dwarfs Boban! 10'2½" wingspan has gotta demolish 2nd place in their database, that is right about where ppl claim Manute Bol's wingspan was...

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Sometimes, that's exactly when you get the most value. For example, the trade that sent Leonard to the Spurs for Hill. Hill was the relative known commodity. Leonard was not. The Spurs didn't play it safe. They went for it. This is where you really make your $$$ as a GM. If you have a keen eye for talent in the draft you make a deal like this in which you take the "unknown" for the "known."

By the way, I'm in total agreement about improving the Kings' length in the backcourt and at the wing.

Off topic: As someone who watches a ton of college ball, what did you think of the Cronin hire as the UCLA basketball coach?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sometimes, that's exactly when you get the most value. For example, the trade that sent Leonard to the Spurs for Hill. Hill was the relative known commodity. Leonard was not. The Spurs didn't play it safe. They went for it. This is where you really make your $$$ as a GM. If you have a keen eye for talent in the draft you make a deal like this in which you take the "unknown" for the "known."

By the way, I'm in total agreement about improving the Kings' length in the backcourt and at the wing.

Off topic: As someone who watches a ton of college ball, what did you think of the Cronin hire as the UCLA basketball coach?
I don't disagree that you have to give up something to get something, and the trick is to come out ahead on the deal. But it's always a risk to trade a popular player, not only with the fans, but with his teammates, for basically an unproven, and to some extent, unknown player. If successful, you look like a genius. If it flops, and your Vlade, it doesn't bode well for your future.

As for Cronin, he's a good coach. He runs a very very tight ship and his teams are very disciplined. However, his teams tend to play a slow the ball down, methodical half court game. That's not a knock on him. His teams win, but they tend to lack the excitement of teams like Kentucky etc. So if UCLA fans are happy with winning, I think he'll be a popular coach. But if they want that old run and gun style of basketball, they may be disappointed.

I'm not saying that Cronin can't change his style, but I'd be surprised if the did. Coaches tend to stay with what's worked for them. You can play at a faster pace and still be disciplined. Villanova is a very discplined team, but they're still fun to watch. Should be interesting to watch it all play out.

This actually a question you should have asked the Capt. I'm sure he has an opinion on the subject.

Last edited:
Another player that I like, and who I think without a doubt is an NBA player at some point, is DaQuan Jeffries, a 6'5" SG/SF out of Tulsa. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of video of him, so I'm posting an interview with a little footage included. He's a laid back player when interviewed, but not so much on the floor, where he's one of the better defenders in college. He has a Mitch Richmond type build and is a terrific athlete with huge hands. His favorite player is Kawhi Leonard.

Like Leonard, he takes pride in his defense and he was able to guard 4 positions in college. He's an effective offensive player as well shooting 52% overall in his 3 years of college, while averaging just a tick under 38% from three all three years. His 3pt percentage goes up if you only count catch and shoot shots. I think most scouts project him as a 3 and D player, but he's very good at attacking the basket. He won the college slam dunk contest as well. His handles are good enough to play the two, but could use some tightening. I definitely see Jeffries as an NBA rotational player.

I like this guy. His mental state and thought process reminds me of Donovan Mitchell coming out of college.