Following 2019 draftees!!!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd love to see one of the 2nd rd picks used on Jon Elmore, 6'3" Sr. PG from Marshall. Kid can ball.

Elmore is one of those hard nosed PG's that I love. He plays with attitude. The question is will his skill level translate to the NBA. I do question his shot selection at times, and wonder if he'll be able to get that shot off in the NBA. But I certainly want to find out. He only shot around 35% from the three, but I firmly believe that if he improved his shot selection (he took a lot of contested shots) he could easily get that percentage up close to 40%. He and Burks carried the bulk of the scoring for Marshall, and he wouldn't be expected to do that in the NBA.

He's a very good finisher with a lot of shake and bake around the basket. He's also one of those rare players that actually knows how to use a screen. I'd be happy as a clam if the Kings were to use a 2nd rd pick on him. He averaged just under 7 assists a game and pulled down 5.8 boards while he was at it. As you can tell, I like him.

Elmore is one of those hard nosed PG's that I love. He plays with attitude. The question is will his skill level translate to the NBA. I do question his shot selection at times, and wonder if he'll be able to get that shot off in the NBA. But I certainly want to find out. He only shot around 35% from the three, but I firmly believe that if he improved his shot selection (he took a lot of contested shots) he could easily get that percentage up close to 40%. He and Burks carried the bulk of the scoring for Marshall, and he wouldn't be expected to do that in the NBA.

He's a very good finisher with a lot of shake and bake around the basket. He's also one of those rare players that actually knows how to use a screen. I'd be happy as a clam if the Kings were to use a 2nd rd pick on him. He averaged just under 7 assists a game and pulled down 5.8 boards while he was at it. As you can tell, I like him.
He was one of the stars of the tourney for sure. He really does have some nice shake to his game. Will be interested to see how they perform without Penava. Iran Bennett not an NBA player but will be an interesting cog to watch for them for sure, former 300lber.

He'll put up huge #'s and should be fun to watch.

TBH I'll have a lot of favorite PG's in the 2nd rd range this season and Elmore is sure to be one of em.

One super sleeper I think has a chance is gonna be Redshirt So. Michael Weathers 6'2" PG at Oklahoma St. he was the MAC Freshman of the year 2 seasons ago, and is NBA quick for sure.... I like him, used to tune in to catch him at Miami of Ohio.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He was one of the stars of the tourney for sure. He really does have some nice shake to his game. Will be interested to see how they perform without Penava. Iran Bennett not an NBA player but will be an interesting cog to watch for them for sure, former 300lber.

He'll put up huge #'s and should be fun to watch.

TBH I'll have a lot of favorite PG's in the 2nd rd range this season and Elmore is sure to be one of em.

One super sleeper I think has a chance is gonna be Redshirt So. Michael Weathers 6'2" PG at Oklahoma St. he was the MAC Freshman of the year 2 seasons ago, and is NBA quick for sure.... I like him, used to tune in to catch him at Miami of Ohio.
The secret to Weather's success is going to be hitting his perimeter shots. He has everything else going for him, but going forward, he has to make people guard him away from the basket. Of course he has plenty of time to work on that.

The secret to Weather's success is going to be hitting his perimeter shots. He has everything else going for him, but going forward, he has to make people guard him away from the basket. Of course he has plenty of time to work on that.
Yep. I like the 7-footer OK St has, Lucas N'Guessan, from the Netherlands too. Plus they have a once heralded recruit, Canadian forward Maurice Calloo incoming.

There are just so many teams with interesting draft storylines next year.. Speaking of underrated international 7-footers;

The French big-man Oliver Sarr should have a breakout season at Wake Forst, he's LONG and mobile and shows some touch. With Doral Moore out of the picture, and with many other nice young peices in place around him Sarr is sure to impress. He's got very nice footspeed for that height too.

Wake Forest has Chaundee Brown 6'5" wing with a strong build who can shoot, he should break out next year, then they have Jaylen Hoard, who's 6'8" with 1st rd talent touch and savy and even some post up ability. Isaiah Mucius another 6'8" Freshman forward has some long-term potential as well.

Now that we're onto the 2nd page I'm glad were onto 2nd rd prospects.

lemme be the first to hype French Swingman Adam Mokoka, who's a monster athlete. First saw him back during the 2016 Fiba U-16 tournament, playing along side of Frank Ntilikina. There was also Abdoulaye N'Doye on that squad who could get drafted too (6'7" playr with combo guard skills and nba frame)

Mokoka just needs a J and he's set. Supreme athlete, major defensive potential, he's extremely powerful and quick for his height which is about 6'5", he's got at least a 6'10" wingspan too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Whereas we have the shovels out and were digging down deep in the hope of finding gold, I've decided for now, to concentrate on the SF position. By no means am I saying that our pick should be limited to that position, just that it's a position of need. However if we find silver while looking for gold, that's OK too. I just love metaphors, don't you?

First up for me is Vance Jackson of New Mexico. He's a 6'8" 235 lb SF, who can also play the PF position. His handles are good enough that you might be able to stick him at the SG position in a pinch. I think his best position right now is at the three. He sat out last season because of transferring from UCONN. But in his freshman year at UCONN he shot a very good 39.7% from the three. If there was a knock on him it was that he didn't attack the basket enough, and was a very good finisher when he did.

He obviously wasn't satisfied with how he was used at UCONN so we'll see if he blossoms in other parts of his game. The one thing we know about him, is that he can shoot.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Now Dylan Winder! Winder is one of the best kept secrets of the Ohio Valley conference. I could argue that he's the best player in that conference. Last season, his junior year, he averaged 35.4 mpg while scoring 17.3 ppg. He did it very efficiently shooting 55.9% overall, and 42.6% from the three. Dylan is a 6'7", 195 lb SF, who also averages 9.3 boards a game, 2.7 apg, 1 steal a game and just under 1 block a game. He's the master of the back door cut who plays off the ball as well as on the ball.

His handles are good enough to play SG and they enable him to get to the basket, which he does often. He's a good finisher and isn't afraid of contact. Belmont ran the ball through him at times because of his passing ability and court vision, and I would expect to see more of that this season. Most of all, he's a team player and a very unselfish player. As you can see, I really like him. The question of course is, can he continue to excel against better competition?

Did I neglect to mention that he's a lefty? And as far as competition goes, in Belmont's non-conference schedule, he did lay 18 pts and 11 boards on Washington, and 24 pts and 11 boards on Vandy. Some would ask who he reminds me of, which I hate to do. Of course the obvious choice is Klay Thompson, or perhaps Kris Middleton. But to be honest, he reminds me of a young Rick Barry lite. I realize that Barry is before some of you were born, but trust me, Barry was one of the best ever. Not saying he's the next coming of Barry, just that some of his mannerisms and his skill set remind me of him.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If I've convinced you to wander around the Mountain West Conference to take a peak at Vance Jackson, you might want to sneak a peak at Justin James at Wyoming, or the Martin brothers at Nevada. I have to warn you that some of the uni's Nevada wears could be dangerous to your health. Here is a game featuring both teams. This was a very exciting game by the way, and a game where James had over 30 pts. James has the height to play SF (6'7") but he reminds me more of a SG. Hey, what the hell do I know.

James didn't shoot the ball as well from the three last season coming down from 41.9% the previous year to 30.8% last season. He shot 35.8% his freshman year, so maybe last season was an abberation. I'll be curious to see if he bounces back this season.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If I've convinced you to wander around the Mountain West Conference to take a peak at Vance Jackson, you might want to sneak a peak at Justin James at Wyoming, or the Martin brothers at Nevada. I have to warn you that some of the uni's Nevada wears could be dangerous to your health.
I think Nevada is going to be a must-watch this year. On top of returning both Martin brothers, they've added a top tier big man in Jordan Brown, who had offers from Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, and Cal. Could be some real good Mountain West action this year!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think Nevada is going to be a must-watch this year. On top of returning both Martin brothers, they've added a top tier big man in Jordan Brown, who had offers from Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, and Cal. Could be some real good Mountain West action this year!
Absolutely! Nevada is definitely a top ten team this coming season. They would have been a top ten team without Brown, who is a local boy by the way, being from Roseville. Now sure how your old homestead is going to fare. No big acquisitions and Oregon looks like the cream of the crop. At least on paper.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
One more player leaps to mind, and those of you who watched the NCAA tourney, and watched Arizona get dispatched by Buffalo, you might remember Jeremy Harris who almost singlehandedly won the game for Buffalo. Harris also exposed the poor defense of Ayton in that game, constantly attacking Ayton and the basket. Harris is another 6'7" SF who shot over 40% from the three last season.

Whereas we have the shovels out and were digging down deep in the hope of finding gold, I've decided for now, to concentrate on the SF position. By no means am I saying that our pick should be limited to that position, just that it's a position of need. However if we find silver while looking for gold, that's OK too. I just love metaphors, don't you?

First up for me is Vance Jackson of New Mexico. He's a 6'8" 235 lb SF, who can also play the PF position. His handles are good enough that you might be able to stick him at the SG position in a pinch. I think his best position right now is at the three. He sat out last season because of transferring from UCONN. But in his freshman year at UCONN he shot a very good 39.7% from the three. If there was a knock on him it was that he didn't attack the basket enough, and was a very good finisher when he did.

He obviously wasn't satisfied with how he was used at UCONN so we'll see if he blossoms in other parts of his game. The one thing we know about him, is that he can shoot.

Keep an eye on Makauch Malauch on New Mexico too! I was very impressed with what I saw from him as a Freshman last year. Carlton Bragg x-ferred in there too.

Malauch-Jackson-Bragg at the SG-SF-PF spots should be a very nice look.

Vance Jackson and Steven Enoch (Louisville) were 2 of the recruits hurt most by the deterioration of UConn Basketball. Definitely hope they both get back on track.

If I've convinced you to wander around the Mountain West Conference to take a peak at Vance Jackson, you might want to sneak a peak at Justin James at Wyoming, or the Martin brothers at Nevada. I have to warn you that some of the uni's Nevada wears could be dangerous to your health. Here is a game featuring both teams. This was a very exciting game by the way, and a game where James had over 30 pts. James has the height to play SF (6'7") but he reminds me more of a SG. Hey, what the hell do I know.

James didn't shoot the ball as well from the three last season coming down from 41.9% the previous year to 30.8% last season. He shot 35.8% his freshman year, so maybe last season was an abberation. I'll be curious to see if he bounces back this season.

Like Justin James a whole lot, enjoyed watching him and Hayden Dalton play together. He's got talent for sure. Interested to see how Hunter Maldonado has improved going into Sophomore year.

Now Dylan Winder! Winder is one of the best kept secrets of the Ohio Valley conference. I could argue that he's the best player in that conference. Last season, his junior year, he averaged 35.4 mpg while scoring 17.3 ppg. He did it very efficiently shooting 55.9% overall, and 42.6% from the three. Dylan is a 6'7", 195 lb SF, who also averages 9.3 boards a game, 2.7 apg, 1 steal a game and just under 1 block a game. He's the master of the back door cut who plays off the ball as well as on the ball.

His handles are good enough to play SG and they enable him to get to the basket, which he does often. He's a good finisher and isn't afraid of contact. Belmont ran the ball through him at times because of his passing ability and court vision, and I would expect to see more of that this season. Most of all, he's a team player and a very unselfish player. As you can see, I really like him. The question of course is, can he continue to excel against better competition?

Did I neglect to mention that he's a lefty? And as far as competition goes, in Belmont's non-conference schedule, he did lay 18 pts and 11 boards on Washington, and 24 pts and 11 boards on Vandy. Some would ask who he reminds me of, which I hate to do. Of course the obvious choice is Klay Thompson, or perhaps Kris Middleton. But to be honest, he reminds me of a young Rick Barry lite. I realize that Barry is before some of you were born, but trust me, Barry was one of the best ever. Not saying he's the next coming of Barry, just that some of his mannerisms and his skill set remind me of him.
Excellent player! Passes the eye test with ease. Will be interesting to see where his story goes after next season, hopefully he's been adding muscle.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Excellent player! Passes the eye test with ease. Will be interesting to see where his story goes after next season, hopefully he's been adding muscle.
My fear is that Winder will work his way into the 1st round, similar to Chandler Hutchinson. Personally, I think he's a better player than Hutchinson, but it's in the eye of the beholder. That's why I'm still hopeful that the Kings will pull off a deal that includes adding a 1st rd pick in next years draft. There is a lot of untapped talent out there in the so called secondary conferences. I guarantee that there will be some three star players that will become five star by years end.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Gonna be gone for a while. Putting together my team charts. It's a very boring and time consuming process, and I won't bore anyone with the details, other than it allows me to track all the players I'm interested in, and hopefully find a few buried gems.

I've watched a little bit of Elmore when I was trying to get a better feel for his teammate Ajdin Penava. I'm curious, I know talent triumphs all, but don't you guys weigh in heavily the fact that he's playing in Conference USA? It's easy to dominate and stat-pad in that weaker conference. Last year Penava was able to put up 15pts 8.5rebs 3.9blks 1.9asts on 56/34/75, but after a couple mins of watching him, you can easily tell that he wouldn't be able to translate any of that over. Getting the same vibe from Elmore. I could definitely be wrong though.

Just for me, when I scout smaller school prospects, the very first thing I look at is to see if they have a freak physical body. If they don't, then I get iffy on them just because they're dominating with their skills against a lower tier of competition. You'd wonder if they'd be able to do that in the ACC let alone the NBA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've watched a little bit of Elmore when I was trying to get a better feel for his teammate Ajdin Penava. I'm curious, I know talent triumphs all, but don't you guys weigh in heavily the fact that he's playing in Conference USA? It's easy to dominate and stat-pad in that weaker conference. Last year Penava was able to put up 15pts 8.5rebs 3.9blks 1.9asts on 56/34/75, but after a couple mins of watching him, you can easily tell that he wouldn't be able to translate any of that over. Getting the same vibe from Elmore. I could definitely be wrong though.

Just for me, when I scout smaller school prospects, the very first thing I look at is to see if they have a freak physical body. If they don't, then I get iffy on them just because they're dominating with their skills against a lower tier of competition. You'd wonder if they'd be able to do that in the ACC let alone the NBA.
Of course I take the school and the conference into consideration. At least as best I can. But I'm not going to dismiss a player because he plays in a lesser conference. C. J. McCollum got overlooked by a few teams because of his conference, and also that he was injured his last year. People wern't sure what he was, a SG or a PG, and questioned the competition he played against. But regardless of the competition, you can tell if a player can dribble, pass, shoot, and has BBIQ. The question of course is, will it translate?

I think that's a bigger question for a center and a PG, like Elmore, than it is other wing players. Both those positions can be affected by the opposition more than a SG or a SF. Or even a PF in todays NBA. You can't hide a PG or a Center, especially a PG. A player either has the skill to play the point, or he doesn't, and if he doesn't, he'll get quickly exposed. Which Mason is finding out. Mason has the skill level and is athletic enough, but right now, it's his inability to adjust that's hurting him. He's become a one trick pony, and that won't get you far in the NBA.

But to answer your question about Elmore, I have no idea whether he can play in the NBA. I can make an educated guess, but I can't speak in absolutes. People that watch a player play, and then say absolutely he can or can't do this, lose me. The best anyone can do is make as good a guess as possible based on as much info that you have. That's why I try my best to watch a player play in a minimum of 7 to 8 games. Most of the top players I usually watch play over 20 times in a year. Hey, teams like Kentucky etc. are on TV all the time. Not that hard, just time consuming.

The thing is, if you watch just one game, or two games, you might see the best, or the worse game of that players career, and then pass judgement. Example: Kingster watched Omari Spellman play in that tourney game, and was willing to use a top five pick on him. While I like Spellman, and saw him play well over 20 times at Villanova, there is no way on god's earth I would have taken him in the top five. I had him going at the top of the 2nd or the bottom of the 1st.

Look, I watched Josh Hart play at Villanova, and thought that he was talented enough to be a middle of the first rd pick. I wouldn't call Villanova, or its conference a lesser conference, but lets be honest. It doesn't get the top highschoolers and as a result, the notoriety of the top schools. As a result, players like Hart get overlooked to some extent. Some people look at them as a product of their current environment. Or, some don't like the age. Or both! Point is, Hart is a damm good player, and there are others like him out there. Happy hunting!

I think for a small-school PG you will probably prefer the strongly built 6'3" D'Marcus Simonds at Georgia St. who successfully drummed some 2018 draft buzz.

he'll be a Jr. this season

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think for a small-school PG you will probably prefer the strongly built 6'3" D'Marcus Simonds at Georgia St. who successfully drummed some 2018 draft buzz.

he'll be a Jr. this season

I have to admit that I like guards that can shoot, especially in today's NBA. His perimeter shot wasn't there last season, and he made the right decision going back to school. No doubt he's a good athlete who can attack the basket. The problem is, in the NBA they'll stack the lane against you if you can't shoot, and getting to the basket will get a lot tougher, especially against taller, stronger, quicker big men. He needs to prove he can shoot the ball this season. Other than that, there's a lot to like.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The conversation about small school, or lesser conference school PG's got me curious, so I did a little research. Truth is, there are almost as many small school PG's as there are big school PG's. Here are a few, and I left quite a few off this list due to some of them are from prehistoric times.

Steve Nash: Santa Clara
John Stockton: Gonzaga
Stephen Curry: Davidson
Damian Lillard: Webber St.
Mark Jackson: St. Johns
Walt Frazier: Southern Illinois
J.J. Barea: Northeastern University
Maurice Cheeks: West Texas A&M
Speedy Claxton: Hofstra University
Norris Cole: Cleveland St.
Bimbo Coles: Virginia St.
Bob Cousy: Holy Cross
Matthew Dellavedova: St. Marys
Derrick Fisher: University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Tim Hardaway: University of Texas at El Paso
Lindsey Hunter: Alcorn St.
Avery Johnson: Cameron Univrsity
Corey Joseph: University of Texas at Austin
Shelvin Mack: Butler
C.J. McCollum: Lehigh
Patty Mills: St. Marys
Jameer Nelson: St. Josephs
Norm Nixon: Duquesne
Elfrid Payton: University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Mark Price: Georgia institute of technology
Ronnie Price: Nicholls St.
Sedale Threate: West Virginia Institute of Technology
Lenny Wilkins: Providence
Deron Williams: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Nate Wolters: South Dakota St.

I left out many, and that includes Sleepy Floyd and Allen Iverson of Georgetown because when they were there, Georgetown was a school of destination. When you look at how many PG's have come from smaller conferences, there's no reason to question them any more than you would a PG from a larger conference. I also left out Kyle Lowry of Villanova.

One of the Seniors I'm really looking forward to seeing bounce back from a brutal injury is SMU's Jarrey Foster and he's very much on NBA 2nd rd radars, and hopefully the Kings.

really a terrific athlete, and 6'6" with long arms, he's got the look of an NBA swingman to me. Reminds me of Rodney Carney.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can't say for sure whether this player will ever play in the NBA or not, but hey, if Cooley can get close enough to sniff the air, why not Mike Daum. He certainly meets the criteria stat wise averaging over 20 pts a game and 10 rebounds a game. I'm just not sure he meets the eye test. At 6'9"and around 250 lbs, I doubt his vertical is much above 6 inches. He's the antithesis of lateral quickness. But, but, but, the dude can shoot the rock. Over his three years at South Dakota St., he averaged 42.5% from the three, never once shooting under 40%. And he took a lot of them!

I can't help but wonder that if he were to lose about 10 or 15 pounds and get in NBA shape, how much agility he might gain. He might actually become a serviceable NBA stretch four. Right now, he's sort of Cooley with a very good three pt shot. My guess is that he'll go undrafted, but you never know. There's always a place in the NBA for a big man that can shoot.

I can't say for sure whether this player will ever play in the NBA or not, but hey, if Cooley can get close enough to sniff the air, why not Mike Daum.
The Dauminator! Good luck to him. Unlikely he makes my big-board though. He's extremely old for this draft field. Born in October 1995.

there's a 6'9" sharp shooting greek named *takes a deep breath* Vassilis Charalampopoulos who's got similar strengths and weaknesses who I'd take first, he's born '97

Last edited:
I have to admit that I like guards that can shoot, especially in today's NBA. His perimeter shot wasn't there last season, and he made the right decision going back to school. No doubt he's a good athlete who can attack the basket. The problem is, in the NBA they'll stack the lane against you if you can't shoot, and getting to the basket will get a lot tougher, especially against taller, stronger, quicker big men. He needs to prove he can shoot the ball this season. Other than that, there's a lot to like.
Small-school Marksman

Can't wait to see Mississippi St. next year and given the Kings situation in the 2nd rd the Bulldogs should remain relevant here til draft day.

-Senior Aric Holman skinny but effective is a prime candidate to be selected in the 2nd rd. He and Daum will both be Seniors but Holman is 2 years younger and will be just turning 22 at the draft. He can shoot it from 3, has some bounce and looks about 6'10".

-There are the Weatherspoon Brothers. Quindarry the 6'5" Senior is likely going to be on the outside looking in at the top-60 but he's a fringe talent and will get looks on Summer league teams and in the g-leauge.

-His younger brother Nick, who's entering Sophomore season, a former 5-star recruit, is one to watch. First he's got a bit of an injury bug so a healthy season would be very nice to see from him. 6'2" athletic lead guard with nice explosion is capable of flying up draft boards all the way into the 1st rd.

-Lamar Peters 6'1" Lefty PG going into a Junior year, looking to bounceback after an off year and some personal tragedy. When he's got it going he looks damn good. Tough kid. His shots on he's tough. Has some wiggle. He is the heart of this team.

-5 star Freshman 6'8" Reggie Perry, whos got a great offensive repitore already and will contribute from day1.

-The 2 C's they have have are way under the radar, I really like Abdul Ado, he's got an NBA build for sure, will be interesting to see his progress. Jethro Tsishumpa spent a year in JUCO after 1 season at ASU, he had some hype as a 6'10 powerfully built shotblocker not too long ago, will be interested to see what he can give them.

-Then there's also incoming freshman Robert Woodard III who eventually will get looks in the league. I believe their backup G Tyson Carter who's about 6'4" and athletic has a chance too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I believe I stated that I thought Dylan Winder might be the best player in the Ohio Valley conference, but a player that might give him a run for his money this season is Ja Morant of Murray St. Morant is a 6'3" very athletic PG that lives off attacking the basket. You will hear more about him as time goes on. He made quite a splash last season as a freshman, while not really shooting the ball that well from the three. He reminds me of Fox a little in stature and with his quickness. He loves to push the ball.

While he didn't put up a good percentage from the three, his shot looks pretty good, so I think in time his percentages will come back up. I think Morant definitely has NBA talent, and probably 1st round talent. Time will tell, but he plays with confidence an a bit of cockiness. He's also shown potential on the defensive side of the ball as well.

I believe I stated that I thought Dylan Winder might be the best player in the Ohio Valley conference, but a player that might give him a run for his money this season is Ja Morant of Murray St. Morant is a 6'3" very athletic PG that lives off attacking the basket. You will hear more about him as time goes on. He made quite a splash last season as a freshman, while not really shooting the ball that well from the three. He reminds me of Fox a little in stature and with his quickness. He loves to push the ball.

While he didn't put up a good percentage from the three, his shot looks pretty good, so I think in time his percentages will come back up. I think Morant definitely has NBA talent, and probably 1st round talent. Time will tell, but he plays with confidence an a bit of cockiness. He's also shown potential on the defensive side of the ball as well.

Nice find! Lemme throw an under-the-radar PG name into the mix too;

Dropped 30-6-6 in this game on efficient #'s.

Will be a So. at Cal this season. He's from Texas. 6'3" PG.