Fire Paul Westphal

Yeah i think if J-will does decide to play out the season he will do it in Miami with a chance to get a ring.

it does say he came back to Orlando with the intention of playing... so i don't think he intended to quit. Maybe he will now after this.

he's sat out countless games with all sorts of reasons this season.

Landry threw Westfail under the bus. Good Job Carl !

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/27/3355687/ailene-voisin-selfish-play-is.html

"The basketball IQ on this team is not very good," Landry said, "and that (knowledge) takes time. If you look at J.T. (Thompson), he's had three or four coaches in his four years, coaches that probably weren't that good. Everybody in this league can play. But it's about spacing, having the right guys on the floor, running the right play. Move the ball. Set back screens, down screens, and play together. Our shooting percentage is so low because everything is one-on-one."
Then, as he often does during conversations, Landry revisits his two-plus seasons with the Rockets and lavishly praises Rick Adelman's offensive system.
"We ran and everybody shared the ball," he said, "and when we didn't have anything on the break, we'd run pick and rolls. We won 22 straight games (in 2007-08) without Yao (Ming) and mostly without Tracy McGrady. We could do that here, but that's not what we do, and you have to play the system the coach (Paul Westphal) wants."

From someone with a signature being "Westfail is not the future", seems you wouldn't care....
Westphal supports Evans to the point of giving him all the opportunity to develop into a superstar. If you don't believe in Evans, there would be a seeming tendency to hope that Westphal fails.

Westphal supports Evans to the point of giving him all the opportunity to develop into a superstar. If you don't believe in Evans, there would be a seeming tendency to hope that Westphal fails.
OR, one might believe that Westphal is actually hidering Tyreke's development by allowing him too much freedom, not providing him with enough guidance and coaching, and not teaching him how to play within a team frame, which not only is disruptive to the flow of the team's game, but also alienates him from his teammates. Last night was actually a prime example of that (as well as last year's double-overtime game against the Lakers). We had yet another 4th quarter meltdown, which is masked by the win, but had we lost, the main reason would've been Westphal's endorsement of Tyreke's refusal to pass the ball in the entire 4th quarter. Tyreke needs to learn how to not try to be a hero and keep going with what's working, but no one on the coaching staff seems to be interested in teaching him that.

OR, one might believe that Westphal is actually hidering Tyreke's development by allowing him too much freedom, not providing him with enough guidance and coaching, and not teaching him how to play within a team frame, which not only is disruptive to the flow of the team's game, but also alienates him from his teammates.
Since we are nowhere near a team that you can call a playoff team, I'd rather have our young stud get all the opportunity to hone his motor/coordination-skills for now that we're still irrelevant. This is especially true because I believe Evans can very well be developed into a very special player in the caliber of MJ, LBJ, Kobe, or Durant. He is 20/5/5 in his rookie year! If Ithink Evans is just another Crawford or Arenas, maybe I wouldn't do the same thing.

Give him all the freedom to play in actual games and perfect his ball-handling skills, dribble-drive skills, shooting skills, passing, etc. at the same time that you teach him little by little how to play within a team frame. Build in him all the confidence that he will need later. They've done the same thing with Jordan and a lot of people thought of Jordan as a ballhog who will never get a Championship. I believe Durant was also given the same freedom during his first 2 years in the NBA too. And both players did not even play PG. And the result? 6 Nba Championships for the Bulls and playoffs for OKC in a short time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't think that because you might find fault with how Evans plays at times, that you don't believe in him, and then necessarily that because of that, you want Westphal to fail. I get upset with Westphal, but the last thing I want him to do is fail. Because if he fails, then its very likely that the team fails as well. I may think he should handle Tyreke differently, but that certainly doesn't mean I want him or Tyreke to fail, which is an entirely different thing from thinking that he has failed, and therefore want him to move elsewhere. I don't think he's the greatest coach in the world right now. But he's our coach, and I hope he succeeds and proves to be better than I think he is. Its not a personality contest with me. All I want is for the team to succeed. And I want to see progress to that end. Of late, I'm starting to see it. So I'm going to hope it continues.

Since we are nowhere near a team that you can call a playoff team, I'd rather have our young stud get all the opportunity to hone his motor/coordination-skills for now that we're still irrelevant. This is especially true because I believe Evans can very well be developed into a very special player in the caliber of MJ, LBJ, Kobe, or Durant. He is 20/5/5 in his rookie year! If Ithink Evans is just another Crawford or Arenas, maybe I wouldn't do the same thing.

Give him all the freedom to play in actual games and perfect his ball-handling skills, dribble-drive skills, shooting skills, passing, etc. at the same time that you teach him little by little how to play within a team frame. Build in him all the confidence that he will need later. They've done the same thing with Jordan and a lot of people thought of Jordan as a ballhog who will never get a Championship. I believe Durant was also given the same freedom during his first 2 years in the NBA too. And both players did not even play PG. And the result? 6 Nba Championships for the Bulls and playoffs for OKC in a short time.
Jordan is a great example. I highly recommend you read Phil Jackson's "Sacred Hoops" and see what he has to say about the right way to develop a player like Jordan in a way that will enhance the team's chances of winning. (hint: it's exactly the opposite of what PW is doing with Tyreke)

This doesn't deserve its own threat so maybe this is the place for it.

If the Kings do end up firing Westphal at season's end (not too far fetched), then how would people feel if the Kings went after our most successful coach in Rick Adelman?

I know the 2 parties did not part ways on the best possible terms but Maloofs have practically admitted that they were wrong to let him go. I think enough water has passed under the bridge for this to be a possibility.

Adelman is out of contract at Houston at the end of the season and if Maloofs swallowed their ego and opened up their wallets, I am sure that something could be worked out.

I think this team currently lacks the sort of things that Adelman is well known for. He has a set offensive system and he has set rotations. He is a players' coach that knows how to win games.

I feel that with it would be the right time to get Rick back. We have 2 budding young starts in Cousins and Evans and I feel Rick would develop them into great players. We also have some other interesting talent that Rick could make the most off and we have the cap space and another lottery pick to really set the roster going forward.

It would feel a bit like 1998 all over again but for us to take the next step, I feel we need a coach who has set routine and history of getting the best out of his players.

Thoughts?

This doesn't deserve its own threat so maybe this is the place for it.

If the Kings do end up firing Westphal at season's end (not too far fetched), then how would people feel if the Kings went after our most successful coach in Rick Adelman?

I know the 2 parties did not part ways on the best possible terms but Maloofs have practically admitted that they were wrong to let him go. I think enough water has passed under the bridge for this to be a possibility.

Adelman is out of contract at Houston at the end of the season and if Maloofs swallowed their ego and opened up their wallets, I am sure that something could be worked out.

I think this team currently lacks the sort of things that Adelman is well known for. He has a set offensive system and he has set rotations. He is a players' coach that knows how to win games.

I feel that with it would be the right time to get Rick back. We have 2 budding young starts in Cousins and Evans and I feel Rick would develop them into great players. We also have some other interesting talent that Rick could make the most off and we have the cap space and another lottery pick to really set the roster going forward.

It would feel a bit like 1998 all over again but for us to take the next step, I feel we need a coach who has set routine and history of getting the best out of his players.

Thoughts?
I doubt it will happen, but if the opportunity arose I would go for it.

Jordan is a great example. I highly recommend you read Phil Jackson's "Sacred Hoops" and see what he has to say about the right way to develop a player like Jordan in a way that will enhance the team's chances of winning. (hint: it's exactly the opposite of what PW is doing with Tyreke)
Oh yeah. MJ was a great example of what I was talking about. Phil Jackson had nothing to do with Jordan's motor skill early development. Phil Jackson was so lucky having had coached the almost complete player Jordan. Jordan was riped and already equipped with the necessary motor/coordination skills. All he needed to do was teach an already very skillful Jordan lessons on how to play within a team frame. If Jordan didn't have the excellent motor skills first, I don't think Phil Jackson would have had those six rings no matter how much lesson about playing within a team frame. IMO, Jordan made Phil.And now it is Kobe making history for Phil.

Look at OKC. You think OKC will be anywhere if they did not let Durant have the freedom to ballhog and almost do whatever he needs to do to learn/hone his skills first?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
But Phil didn't develop Jordan and its debateable how much of a hand he had in developing Kobe.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Uhhhh, if Phil didn't develop Jordan, then who did?
I think credit has to go to Doug Collins and MJ hmself. When he went down with the major injury in his second season in the league, Michael pretty much took it upon himself to become stronger in all aspects of the game in his offtime.

Really though, trying to credit any coach with Jordan's development is like trying to credit Wilt's coaches for his 100 point game. He was going to be great regardless of who was coaching him (unless Kenny Natt somehow acquired a time machine and went back in time to coach the Bulls)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think credit has to go to Doug Collins and MJ hmself. When he went down with the major injury in his second season in the league, Michael pretty much took it upon himself to become stronger in all aspects of the game in his offtime.

Really though, trying to credit any coach with Jordan's development is like trying to credit Wilt's coaches for his 100 point game. He was going to be great regardless of who was coaching him (unless Kenny Natt somehow acquired a time machine and went back in time to coach the Bulls)
I have no arguement with anyone on the skill level part. Jordan was a great player, and would still be considered a great player whether he won all those championships or not. But it was Jackson that got Jordan and Pippen and the entire team to embrace a different philosphy, and thats when they finally won a championship. Nothing against Doug Collins, but he had both Jordan and Pippen before Jackson replaced him and whille the team was very good, they didn't win the championship until Jackson became head coach.

In LA they had both Shaq and Kobe and didn't win until Jackson became head coach. Now I grant you that he's always had talent. He's certainly been more blessed than most coaches. But he did get that talent to win championships when others had failed.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I have no arguement with anyone on the skill level part. Jordan was a great player, and would still be considered a great player whether he won all those championships or not. But it was Jackson that got Jordan and Pippen and the entire team to embrace a different philosphy, and thats when they finally won a championship. Nothing against Doug Collins, but he had both Jordan and Pippen before Jackson replaced him and whille the team was very good, they didn't win the championship until Jackson became head coach.

In LA they had both Shaq and Kobe and didn't win until Jackson became head coach. Now I grant you that he's always had talent. He's certainly been more blessed than most coaches. But he did get that talent to win championships when others had failed.
By no means did I claim that Phil is a bad coach or anything, I was merely saying that Phil shouldn't really get the credit for developing MJ. Where Phil succeeds is plugging in said talent and getting the most mileage out of them. He's never really had to develop talent in this league because he's either (a) come into a situation where the talent was already there and growing (Chicago and Kobe) or (b) been able to simply buy talent (Gasol)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Durant's sophomore season was almost unbearable to watch.
In 2008 P.J. Carlesimo led the Thunder to a 1 and 13 start. Scotty Brooks took over and finished the season 22 and 46. The next season he moved Durant back to SF from SG where he was getting killed on defense by the smaller quicker players. He moved Jeff Green from SF to PF. The team defense improved and the team was off and running.

Interestingly enough, Durant blocked almost twice as many shots from the SF position than he did the SG position. His steals per game increased as well.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Was amused by this paragraph in an article about Jim O'Brien's firing by the Pacers:

Many fans criticized O'Brien because he constantly changed lineups, at times leaving players inactive, then suddenly making them starters and sometimes leaving players who were performing well on the bench for long stretches.

Brick, what do you think about bringing Rick Adelman back? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Funny thing is, if you go over to a Rocket forum, they've got the same "fire the coach (Adelman)" threads we got going here. Grass is always greener somehow... right now many Houston fans would love to give him to us.