Excellent piece by David Aldridge....

on nba.com on the tnt overtime part on nba.com on the maloofs and petrie and how steve patterson resigning in portland opens the door for petrie to go back to portland and with having less and less control over the last year and a half he may want to leave and he referenced how it was the maloof's who insisted the trade peja and how they insisted they traded him for artest who was not petrie's first choice. In the end Aldridge says would the maloofs be comfortable enough to let petrie go and make all the personal decisions on there own?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Do you realize your first sentence is three lines long?

;)

A link to the article you're talking about would be appreciated.

It does seem like a possibility...

Just what we need, Petrie/Adelman reviving the Blazers, we can share the Pacific basement with Seattle.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I doubt that it would be anything so dramatic. But if Geoff was deposed, the next guy they brought in would be very likely to be a family friend or yes man. So not the Maloofs obviously naming themselves GM, but the Maloofs doing the Steinbrenner/Jerry Jones thing where the GM is just a powerless mouthpiece for their whims.

The other poossibility would be the Maloofs doing something "sexy" like hiring Larry Brown and giving him complete control as coach/GM or whatnot (something Brown has lusted after).

Last edited:
Ron Artest for Peja: Good
Brian Skinner, Corliss Williamson, & Kenny Thomas for Chris Webber: Not so Good

Petrie has been drunk the last 3 years

Ron Artest for Peja: Good
Brian Skinner, Corliss Williamson, & Kenny Thomas for Chris Webber: Not so Good

Petrie has been drunk the last 3 years
I guess he was drunk when he drafted Kevin Martin then, huh?

I can't believe how underappreciated Petrie is on this board. If he goes this franchise is finished -- it's like the Adelman thing only five times worse. There's no one to replace him who is as good as he is, and the Maloofs will feel even more empowered to play GM themselves. It would be a disaster.

I guess he was drunk when he drafted Kevin Martin then, huh?

I can't believe how underappreciated Petrie is on this board. If he goes this franchise is finished -- it's like the Adelman thing only five times worse. There's no one to replace him who is as good as he is, and the Maloofs will feel even more empowered to play GM themselves. It would be a disaster.
True. I also wonder how much the Maloofs were behind the Webber trade as well. I have no idea, but it feels like they might have pushed that.

Personally I STILL like the Webber trade. He had/has a HUGE contract and was going no where in purple. He was as motivated to play for the Kings as he was for the Sixers. He only looks good now because he's on a good team. It was basically a something for nothing trade, the only downfall is Kenny's contract.

A quite interesting conspiracy theory from DA. One that doesn't make me too comfortable.

I like the Maloof/Petrie partnership. Petrie knows basketball and is an above average talent evaluator and the Maloofs bring business acumen and on-hands enthusiasm to ownership. In theory this should be a nice system of checks and balances.

Subtracting Petrie and adding a Maloof "yes-man" is a scaring possibilty.

I think Petrie deserves one more shot at building another team. Especially If he can help metriculate this current encarnation into one that brings me half the excitement and Kings passion as the last.

Personally I STILL like the Webber trade. He had/has a HUGE contract and was going no where in purple. He was as motivated to play for the Kings as he was for the Sixers. He only looks good now because he's on a good team. It was basically a something for nothing trade, the only downfall is Kenny's contract.
webb was playing some of his best post-surgery basketball at the time he was traded. he had just won a player of the week award, i believe, and he had said a few days prior to the trade deadline that he would really like to finish his career in sacramento.

If there is any solid basis for this, Petrie probably should go. Petrie is a pretty good talent scout, but I do not think Petrie is a defensive minded GM and it wouldn't be a surprise to me if he gets fired in the future by the Maloofs, who seem to be getting their basketball philosophies from reporters about how defense wins championship (that's so 2000s thinking). Joe also said he knows something about basketball after eight years in the business. Nice insider work!

A quite interesting conspiracy theory from DA. One that doesn't make me too comfortable.

I like the Maloof/Petrie partnership. Petrie knows basketball and is an above average talent evaluator and the Maloofs bring business acumen and on-hands enthusiasm to ownership. In theory this should be a nice system of checks and balances.

Subtracting Petrie and adding a Maloof "yes-man" is a scaring possibilty.

I think Petrie deserves one more shot at building another team. Especially If he can help metriculate this current encarnation into one that brings me half the excitement and Kings passion as the last.
The problem is that the Maloofs go over GP as in when they wanted Artest last year and pursued him even after the early "misunderstanding" that Artest didn't want to play in Sacramento. The Maloofs sort of listened to GP in considering a coach, but really this was more of a small apeasement rather then a full forth respect of what GP said. I do like their businessman mentality and they are fans very much like Mark Cuban in Dallas and they are all groupies that are rich enough to be able to follow the team and be the "ultimate fan" or so they think. They do want to win, but they are really impulsive and do what they want in the end with or without GP.

The problem is that the Maloofs go over GP as in when they wanted Artest last year and pursued him even after the early "misunderstanding" that Artest didn't want to play in Sacramento. The Maloofs sort of listened to GP in considering a coach, but really this was more of a small apeasement rather then a full forth respect of what GP said. I do like their businessman mentality and they are fans very much like Mark Cuban in Dallas and they are all groupies that are rich enough to be able to follow the team and be the "ultimate fan" or so they think. They do want to win, but they are really impulsive and do what they want in the end with or without GP.
I agree that many recent deals have the feel of more Maloof influence than Petrie but if it was all Maloof I think Whiz'd be the Kings' coach right now. Showing that he still has influence. And I'd bet it wasn't Joe and Gavin's idea to draft Martin.

I think the Maloofs need Petrie more than they and many others think.

I agree that many recent deals have the feel of more Maloof influence than Petrie but if it was all Maloof I think Whiz'd be the Kings' coach right now. Showing that he still has influence. And I'd bet it wasn't Joe and Gavin's idea to draft Martin.

I think the Maloofs need Petrie more than they and many others think.
Yeah Petrie is good and the lack of any player movement is not totally his doing. He has been trying hard to move Bibby and Artest, and also Thomas...but the players we'd get for them just weren't good enough to pull the trigger on. He has been trying to get Wilcox here which would have been a nice young big PF that I'd be happy to see, also tried to get Prizbilla, but he resigned with Portland and Wilcox went to the Super Sonics.

Webber trade: I really hated the Webber trade and still do. I do like that Corliss has been a nice surprise this year and wish we would have kept Skinner instead of getting nothing in return besides Monia who went back to Russia and Potapenko who is on the team, but really isn't...at least Pot contributes $3.6M coming off the books after this season.
Besides trading Webber, we also traded Barnes who is turning into quite the player, he is right up there in the league with Kmart as the most improved player this year. He is also a local "Sacramento's Finest" so it hurts a little more still. At least he gets to play down the street (West on 80 in Oakland). :D . He and Cisco would have really terrorized the other team with their energy off the bench and good length at 6' 7".

Draft: As far as the draft, GP did great nabbing KMart, easily the best player after the obvious 1st few selections in a unbelievably deep draft. Cisco was good too. Douby I'm not so sure about, it's still very early and he hasn't played much...until recently though he was on the depth chart ahead of Price at combo guard off the bench. I really wish we would have gotten Rodriquez, Rondo, or especially Boone (good young Forward).

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I wished we would have dumped Webber for nothing. Wasn't that the year the NBA had a forgiveness clause of some kind in which you could dump any player without having it still on your cap?

I think the Maloof's know how good Petrie is at his job and are happy with him. These writers have much to say but very little of thier predictions come to fruition. It seems with King's business, we learn of it after the fact and so does everyone else, including these writers. Annie.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
son, you're a tad confused -- Chris Webber played that last season with the Kings with some of the greatest passion he has shown at any point in his career. At the time he was traded he was averaging 21.3pts 9.7rebs and 5.5ast and was the unquestioned leader of a 34-20 team.

kyo2002 said:
Maloofs, who seem to be getting their basketball philosophies from reporters about how defense wins championship
Yes.

kyo2002 said:
(that's so 2000s thinking)
Um...no. Its been a virtual truism in every league in every sport since people first started kicking around rocks. And you would be just a tad hardpressed to show a change in the NBA where your recent champions are the Heat, the Spurs, the Pistons etc. Its the same thing as the smallball inanity. Cute....and stupid. Meanwhile title after title after title is won by great defensive teams with big frontlines.

Last edited:
I wished we would have dumped Webber for nothing. Wasn't that the year the NBA had a forgiveness clause of some kind in which you could dump any player without having it still on your cap?
No, the rule was that teams could waive off a player and save on the tax. Players were still entitled to their entire pay and became free agents, and their salaries still counted against the cap. It benefitted teams in the LT category, by allowing them to save the tax they would have paid otherwise.

If they let the best, not to mention one of the few actually competent, GM go can we stop calling the Maloofs great businessmen? That would be one of the most colossally stupid business decisions in sports/entertainment history.

If they let the best, not to mention one of the few actually competent, GM go can we stop calling the Maloofs great businessmen? That would be one of the most colossally stupid business decisions in sports/entertainment history.
Maybe it is too late already? What good is any GM to a team where the most important decisions are "divine" decrees by the owners?

Let's summarize the three moves, that at least in my mind relegated us from elite (or at the very least near elite) team to mediocrity:

1. Trading Webber for The Philly 3. I am 99% sure that it was Maloofs move more then anything else. They just couldn't stomach paying top dollar for Chris anymore. GM did what he could do in a bad situation.

2. Not extending RA. Which turns into hiring Muss. Whiz anyone?

3. Trading Pedja for Artest. Their signature is all over this one, including pulling the trade from the brink when Artest (aledgedly) balked. Turns out, that Pedja really had to go, so I agree with that part, but having seen that there was market to max Pedja out, I am surprised that we ended up with Artest. If the "decree" was not "get Artest" couldn't GP get us at least some expirings and picks?

Only 1. is debatable, but it will take a lot to convince me that Maloofs did not cook it up themselves. Sure, GP has made some mistakes, but most well informed Kings fans by now recognize his MO and there are some patterns that he has estabilished over the years. There is nothing that tells me that any of the 3 moves above was of GP's making.

don't forget when the maloofs said they were in the mix for iverson then retracted their statement the follwoing day. they need to keep shut on these types of things until after the deals are made.

Maybe it is too late already? What good is any GM to a team where the most important decisions are "divine" decrees by the owners?

Let's summarize the three moves, that at least in my mind relegated us from elite (or at the very least near elite) team to mediocrity:

1. Trading Webber for The Philly 3. I am 99% sure that it was Maloofs move more then anything else. They just couldn't stomach paying top dollar for Chris anymore. GM did what he could do in a bad situation.

2. Not extending RA. Which turns into hiring Muss. Whiz anyone?

3. Trading Pedja for Artest. Their signature is all over this one, including pulling the trade from the brink when Artest (aledgedly) balked. Turns out, that Pedja really had to go, so I agree with that part, but having seen that there was market to max Pedja out, I am surprised that we ended up with Artest. If the "decree" was not "get Artest" couldn't GP get us at least some expirings and picks?

Only 1. is debatable, but it will take a lot to convince me that Maloofs did not cook it up themselves. Sure, GP has made some mistakes, but most well informed Kings fans by now recognize his MO and there are some patterns that he has estabilished over the years. There is nothing that tells me that any of the 3 moves above was of GP's making.

The other poossibility would be the Maloofs doing something "sexy" like hiring Larry Brown and giving him complete control as coach/GM or whatnot (something Brown has lusted after).
At this point, I don't know if I'd be opposed to this. If Bibby is kept around, remember how Brown got Bibby to play defense on the world championship team?

Ahh, stats and history do prove everything! They are axiomatic truths.
Besides that, it's just sad that the Webber trade didn't work out that well besides some cap relief... which hasn't worked out either. Webber looks good for the Pistons and he can still do fastbreak dunks fine. Is Webber playing out his big contract worse than now?