Draft

BobbyJ_for3! said:
im really liking the idea of getting francisco garcia, but i doubt he will go that low either, especially with the tourney he is having. other than him, channing frye, nate robinson, daniel ewing, luther head, ronny turiaf, and jarret jack all look very good to me, especailly frye and robinson (another bjax?maybe im off base, but he seems like it to me)
Frye had a good tourney. When I made a draft thread a couple months ago, NBADraft.net had Frye in the Kings' spot. I think he's worked his way up to mid-1st round at the highest. He's got good post moves, some range, and a lanky, explosive figure. Jack is a lottery pick most likely, won't be in your range unless Petrie trades up.

If I were taking from the group of players you listed minus Frye and Jack, I'd pick Head. Good little defender, quick.

hrdboild said:
But as I said before, I don't think we should pick up a PG right now given where our holes are. Unless he's obviously the best player left when we pick.
Why not take BPA as a rule? You can always trade someone later to even things out.

Anyone remember Travis Mays? Hopefully the Kings wouldn't make the mistake of drafting another undersized shooting guard thinking they can make him a point guard.

I think the Draft will become even more pivotal for us with our cap situation. It's important to draft well if we want to continue being an elite team. We'll need these younger, but cheap players to fill in at positions. Young players with potential also become enticing prospects for other teams. Teams that do well amost always have players who they drafed and developed on their roster.

I like the Garcia kid from Louisville. But I doubt he'll still be around. I also like Villanueva from UConn; versatile, can play the three and can also be played at the four. I question wheter Simien can be effective in the NBA because of his size; I've seen him listed at 6'8, 6'9.

We should pick the best player availble because we have needs everywhere, but a good front court player should be priority.

If you were going into the draft, why would you want to be a higher pick and have to play with a crappy team? You'd think some players who are really good would try to have bad workouts and drop down so they could get on a good team.

Do you get more money as a high pick, or are you just more likely to start if your on a bad team?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gregorius said:
Do you get more money as a high pick, or are you just more likely to start if your on a bad team?
Both.

You also get a chance to shine rather tahn being grist for some team's mill. I love winning, but I would MUCH rather go to a bad team and play than sit on the bench while my team won.

Packt said:
I question wheter Simien can be effective in the NBA because of his size; I've seen him listed at 6'8, 6'9.
I think he can if he tries to do what he did in college. Height I wouldn't worry about. George Lynch is still in the league, no? Simien won't be a lottery pick either. He'll be a safe lower 1st round selection for a team that needs a PF. The biggest concern about him is injuries.

Simien needs to go to a team with a good big man coach, as he is a pretty stupid player. The guy has the most powerful/explosive body in the NCAA, but disappears in games far too often. A lot of teams would throw a 2-3 zone at Kansas, which Simien would allow himself to get buried behind. He would try to set up for the lob baseline side, which is never open against a 2-3. Then he would get impatient, flash high post, and shoot a fade-away. If he stays healthy he could have a career like Buck Williams, and be one of the best rebounders in the game. Contrast Simien with May, who is excellent at creating space and getting himself open. May will be a great pro, along the lines of Elton Brand.

Last edited:
Venom said:
Simien needs to go to a team with a good big man coach, as he is a pretty stupid player. The guy has the most powerful/explosive body in the NCAA, but disappears in games far too often. A lot of teams would throw a 2-3 zone at Kansas, which Simien would allow himself to get buried behind. He would try to set up for the lob baseline side, which is never open against a 2-3. Then he would get impatient, flash high post, and shoot a fade-away. If he stays healthy he could have a career like Buck Williams, and be one of the best rebounders in the game. Contrast Simien with Mays, who is excellent at creating space and getting himself open. Mays will be a great pro, along the lines of Elton Brand.
Excellent post. This is the epitome of "on point" right here.

And the funny thing is that when May was a freshman, I remember seeing him play and thinking "this guy is a bum, what's all the hype about?". That was just one game and he has improved since then. He just gets it done, he's got "it"... even if at first glance he might not look like he does.

We could really use a smart, strong bodied and durable guy like May.

Julius Hodge out of NC State will likely be within Sac's grasp in the 1st round. He might be a good pick. Versatile 6'7" SG/SF who played some stopgap 1 in college (tho that'll be a thing of the past). He's skinny, but he will put his body on the line, good at drawing fouls and has a positive attitude. He's the only player in NC State history with a triple double. He could be a suitable successor to Christie.

Last edited:
Well if we are talking about draft and IMO a tad early. I think 6th would agree her Fighting Ill... have a few nice point guards to toss into the mix. Not sure about first round but if we trade/lose Bjax thats an area we need to fill either in the off season with trades or the draft

BigWaxer said:
Well if we are talking about draft and IMO a tad early. I think 6th would agree her Fighting Ill... have a few nice point guards to toss into the mix. Not sure about first round but if we trade/lose Bjax thats an area we need to fill either in the off season with trades or the draft
Unless Petrie pulls out a foreign plum with his thumb, there are a lot of borderline 1st round points where Sac will be picking - Head, Ewing, Miles, Robinson. Three or more of them could be 2nd round talent. Petrie may want to go BPA unless one of them has a very good workout with yer club.

Does anyone know anything about Roko Leni Ukic? I've been reading up on his profile over at draftcity.com and he looks like a real gem. Has anyone seen him play? 6'5 183lbs.. Here's his profile.
Roko-Leni Ukic is a true talent. From the first time you see him you notice a special elegance in his game, in his movements, and the kind of excitement that only a 6-5 (perhaps still growing) highly skilled and fundamentally sound playmaker is able to produce.
He combines a high level of offensive savvy with excellent distributing abilities. Being quite a fast player, knowing where to place his feet, and having great handles with both hands, he’s able to penetrate easily even in traffic to finish himself, dish off to a teammate or get to the line.
Ukic is a good shooter anywhere on the court. He can shoot it stationary, off the dribble, in motion from the mid-range area and even off-balance as well. He can create his own shot by faking a move and dribbling, and then using his quick release to get off his shot. He is really difficult to stop when hot, and never avoids responsabilities when the game is on the line.
Ukic displays the court vision and passing abilities that a good point guard is supposed to possess. He fills the bill whether in a transition game or in the set offense, and he usually makes the right decisions. Besides, he doesn’t abuse his ball-handling, and he understands the importance of moving the ball around and even enjoys doing so. He knows how to improvise and find a good option when he hits a dead end. He has a high basketball IQ and shows a lot of confidence.
Defensively, he reads the passing lanes pretty well. He also has really quick hands which he often uses to steal the ball from his match-up, on help defense or just by anticipating a pass before his matchup makes it.

piksi

Hall of Famer
mazzystar said:
Does anyone know anything about Roko Leni Ukic? I've been reading up on his profile over at draftcity.com and he looks like a real gem. Has anyone seen him play? 6'5 183lbs.. Here's his profile.
Roko-Leni Ukic is a true talent. From the first time you see him you notice a special elegance in his game, in his movements, and the kind of excitement that only a 6-5 (perhaps still growing) highly skilled and fundamentally sound playmaker is able to produce.
He combines a high level of offensive savvy with excellent distributing abilities. Being quite a fast player, knowing where to place his feet, and having great handles with both hands, he’s able to penetrate easily even in traffic to finish himself, dish off to a teammate or get to the line.
Ukic is a good shooter anywhere on the court. He can shoot it stationary, off the dribble, in motion from the mid-range area and even off-balance as well. He can create his own shot by faking a move and dribbling, and then using his quick release to get off his shot. He is really difficult to stop when hot, and never avoids responsabilities when the game is on the line.
Ukic displays the court vision and passing abilities that a good point guard is supposed to possess. He fills the bill whether in a transition game or in the set offense, and he usually makes the right decisions. Besides, he doesn’t abuse his ball-handling, and he understands the importance of moving the ball around and even enjoys doing so. He knows how to improvise and find a good option when he hits a dead end. He has a high basketball IQ and shows a lot of confidence.
Defensively, he reads the passing lanes pretty well. He also has really quick hands which he often uses to steal the ball from his match-up, on help defense or just by anticipating a pass before his matchup makes it.

I have seen him on TV. Very talented and very young. Has a potential to be a very good player. Has to grow up mentaly and physically. Does not play defense. Not NBA ready at the moment

This draft will be very interesting. Kings only have the first rounder, so it will be intriguing to find out if GP is gonna make any trades that will net the Kings a few more picks.

mazzystar said:
Does anyone know anything about Roko Leni Ukic? I've been reading up on his profile over at draftcity.com and he looks like a real gem.
Petrie would have to trade up for him. He's rail thin, but has length, height and speed, passing ability, decent shot. Mid 1st rounder.

My more honest opinion and this is no knock against RA. This team as long as RA is a coach is not going to build itself on the draft. Those players in Ricks system get a lot less time then a veteran.

With that said I am not bashing Rick, I don't disagree I am just babl'n.

piksi

Hall of Famer
BigWaxer said:
My more honest opinion and this is no knock against RA. This team as long as RA is a coach is not going to build itself on the draft. Those players in Ricks system get a lot less time then a veteran.

With that said I am not bashing Rick, I don't disagree I am just babl'n.
If You are good enough RA will play You. (maybe ;) )

JWill, Pedja and Hedo played. The rest just was not good enough. You generally do not develop rookies on the winning team unless they are ready to contribute imideately.

I know. I am a big RA supporter so I hope I didn't word my post wrong. Didn't want to sound like I was bashing him. Just history kinda shows he rewards playing time with effort in practice. Perfect example is Wallace.

I definately agree with winning teams not developing rookies. Which in turn kinda makes my point in that the draft doesn't matter for us anyway. Its about off season moves (not draft related, unless of course its a draft / trade situation.)

Gargamel said:
Julius Hodge out of NC State will likely be within Sac's grasp in the 1st round. He might be a good pick. Versatile 6'7" SG/SF who played some stopgap 1 in college (tho that'll be a thing of the past). He's skinny, but he will put his body on the line, good at drawing fouls and has a positive attitude. He's the only player in NC State history with a triple double. He could be a suitable successor to Christie.

I agree with everything except his "positive attitude." Hodge seems to quit during games whenever something goes wrong. He did this throughout the season. However, he did have a great tournament and showed some leadership ability. If his attitude and on-court demeanor improve, he can be a successful nba player

piksi said:
I have seen him on TV. Very talented and very young. Has a potential to be a very good player. Has to grow up mentaly and physically. Does not play defense. Not NBA ready at the moment
He needs some red beans and rice.

bbb said:
I agree with everything except his "positive attitude." Hodge seems to quit during games whenever something goes wrong. He did this throughout the season. However, he did have a great tournament and showed some leadership ability. If his attitude and on-court demeanor improve, he can be a successful nba player
I don't know; every time I see him play, I see a guy with a lot of heart and grit. I've seen him look exasperated on the court, but I believe that has more to do with the lack of talent surrounding him, and I haven't ever seen him quit in a game.

Larry O'Bannon. . .uber-athlete, can shoot, dribble, pass, and plays tenacious defense. If there's one thing I don't want to see next year it's another kid who plays "cerebrally", which is code for soft. Get someone with some intensity.

Larry or Julius would be great picks, especially considering the near certainty either Peja or Bobby will be packaged with a bigger contract (Corliss/K-9) this summer. I'll kick in my TV if we draft another Euro project though. I would not be surprised to see Petrie look to South America. At this point there are far more diamonds in the rough in places like Argentina, Puerto Rico, and Brazil than in Serbia and Russia.