Draft Hype

A

AriesMar27

Since I've said who I'd like to see at back-up PG based on what is needed, and why.. Aries, who would you like to see us go after for back-up PG?
i want a point guard that can create for himself and others.... maybe like a devin harris type player, he doesnt need to shoot 3's all day just get into the lane and open up shots for martin, garcia and whomever we have subbing in...

sergio could be that player... i dont think we have a 2nd rd pick and i doubt that he goes undrafted.... maybe we can trade hart on draft day for whoever drafts him, we'll stll have price if need be.... and can focus on finding a bigman.....

as much as i would love to get bobby back i would want someone younger... earl watson would be nice too and he plays defense....

i want a point guard that can create for himself and others.... maybe like a devin harris type player, he doesnt need to shoot 3's all day just get into the lane and open up shots for martin, garcia and whomever we have subbing in...

sergio could be that player... i dont think we have a 2nd rd pick and i doubt that he goes undrafted.... maybe we can trade hart on draft day for whoever drafts him, we'll stll have price if need be.... and can focus on finding a bigman.....

as much as i would love to get bobby back i would want someone younger... earl watson would be nice too and he plays defense....

Lue/Delk/Bell/Mo Williams/maybe Claxton/B-Jax/Banks/Duhon/Knight - they fit that. They can defend and are at least solid offensively. Except for Mo on defense, but, I think under Muss he'd be able to become a fine defender. All can be had by us without giving up a lot. FAs there... Claxton is gonna command the MLE (hence the maybe), Banks part of it, maybe the MLE, B-Jax part of the MLE.

Watson isn't going anywhere unless it's for a quality player. Seattle absolutely loves him, and compliments Ridnour well. Like why we need to get a guy who compliments Bibby (defense), but still is fine on offense, any of the guys I mentioned would do that. I'd be very surprised if he's traded away.

Sergio, a rookie PG, is not going to be our back-up PG for a number of reasons. Drafting him? Well, IMO, for most of those same reasons. If were going to have a rookie be our back-up, he'd be able to at least play defense.

Last edited:
1. You probably read an article on DX where they mentioned that "he meaused shorter than advertised" when in fact he measured at 6'9.5" barefoot. He just was in thin shoes and measured at 6'10.25" with them. Give him normal for bigmen 1.25" or 1.5" shoes and he magicly becomes as tall "as advertised". Also he measured at very solid 9'1" standing reach.
2. If you follow draft.net closely you must have read an article where they denied this rumor stating that Pecherov and Armstrong were equally impressive in that workout. Not sure why they still haven't changed the original article.
3. Shelden Williams was destroyed much more by every NBA wannabe.
1 - Fair enough.

2 - I'll take your word for it

3 - How is that a positive for Hilton Armstrong? Isn't that more of an argument against Shelden Williams?

Now, I've been anti-Hilton based in statistics. As much as history can tell us, basketball is not subject to all of the rules of money-ball. Physical attributes and matchups mean far more than in a baseball game which is much more static. However, statistics make Armstrong look terrible. Aside from the stats and history mentioned already, the two biggest pluses mentioned for Armstrong are that he averaged 3.1 blks/game as a senior and that he was the Big East Defensive Player of the Year. So I looked at the official Big East site at a little more hisotry. Even if we grant Armsrong 3.1 blks/game as a four year average (like the other player on the blks/game list who are measured based upon career stats) take a look at the list of blks/game leaders and past D Players of the Year:

NAME SCHOOL CAREER YRS. GP BLK AVG.
Emeka Okafor Connecticut 2001-04 3 48 207 4.30
Patrick Ewing Georgetown 1981-85 4 62 247 3.98
Dikembe Mutombo Georgetown 1988-91 3 48 184 3.83
Etan Thomas Syracuse 1996-00 4 64 232 3.63
Alonzo Mourning Georgetown 1988-92 4 62 224 3.61
Jason Lawson Villanova 1993-97 4 71 216 3.04
Ruben Boumtje Boumtje Georgetown 1997-01 4 52 143 2.75
D’or Fischer West Virginia 2003-05 2 31 84 2.71
Samuel Dalembert Seton Hall 1999-01 2 32 86 2.69
Donyell Marshall Connecticut 1991-94 3 54 141 2.61
Herve Lamizana Rutgers 2000-04 4 48 123 2.56
Ryan Humphrey Notre Dame 2000-02 2 31 77 2.48
Charles Smith Pittsburgh 1984-88 4 64 158 2.47
Marcus Douthit Providence 2000-04 4 63 151 2.39
Rony Seikaly Syracuse 1984-88 4 64 151 2.36
Derrick Coleman Syracuse 1986-90 4 64 146 2.28
Eric Mobley Pittsburgh 1991-94 3 53 119 2.25
Constantin Popa Miami 1991-95 4 72 160 2.22
Conrad McRae Syracuse 1989-93 4 60 133 2.22
JOSH BOONE Connecticut 2003- 2 31 66 2.13
Ed Pinckney Villanova 1981-85 4 61 129 2.11
Jeremy McNeil Syracuse 2000-04 4 60 121 2.01
Kareem Shabazz Providence 1999-01 2 32 64 2.00
Dan Schayes Syracuse 1979-81 2 20 40 2.00
Tim James Miami 1995-99 4 72 144 2.00
Mike Sweetney Georgetown 2000- 3 48 93 1.94
RANDALL HANKE Providence 2004- 1 15 29 1.93
Atilla Cosby Pittsburgh 1997-99 2 35 66 1.88
Tom Greis Villanova 1986-90 4 64 115 1.80

2004-05 Josh Boone (Connecticut)
2003-04 Emeka Okafor (Connecticut)
2002-03 Emeka Okafor (Connecticut)
2001-02 John Linehan (Providence)
2000-01 John Linehan (Providence)
1999-00 Etan Thomas (Syracuse)
1998-99 Etan Thomas (Syracuse)
1997-98 Damian Owens (West Virginia)
1996-97 Jason Lawson (Villanova)
1995-96 Allen Iverson (Georgetown)
1994-95 Allen Iverson (Georgetown)
1993-94 Donyell Marshall (Connecticut)
1992-93 Jerry Walker (Seton Hall)
1991-92 Alonzo Mourning (Georgetown)
1990-91 Dikembe Mutombo (Georgetown)
1989-90 Dikembe Mutombo (Georgetown)
Alonzo Mourning (Georgetown)
1988-89 Alonzo Mourning (Georgetown)
1987-88 Gary Massey (Villanova)
1986-87 Mark Jackson (St. John’s)
1985-86 Harold Pressley (Villanova)
1984-85 Patrick Ewing (Georgetown)
1983-84 Patrick Ewing (Georgetown)
1982-83 Patrick Ewing (Georgetown)
1981-82 Patrick Ewing (Georgetown)

First, in the blks per game list, even if we inflate HA's stats by giving him credit for 3.1 blks/game for his career instead of just senior year, he falls much closer to Jason Lawson, Rouben Boumtje Boumtje, and D'or Fischer, than Okafor, Mourning, and Etan Thomas. In other words, while the totals look good in college, plenty of players have accomplished it and haven't amounted to jack.

Second, while some of the D players of the year in the late 80s and early 90s look impressive, they were concensus top players, most were #1 picks except for Mutombo who refused to play for some of the 1-3 teams and went #4 (though LJ may have gone #1 anyway). However, besides concensus top players, the rest of the list is comprised of Jason Lawson, Damien Owens, Etan Thomas, John Linehan, and Josh Boone. That's not impressive at all.

Some of those players are guards and you can't really compare to Armstrong, but everyone knows about Boone and Lawson is certainly very similar, except he's one inch taller and 5 pounds heavier.

Jason L. Lawson
Position: C
Height: 6' 11'' Weight: 240
"Despite this NBA scouts still see a lot of potential in the 6-11 Lawson, who has beenan excellent shot blocker (3.0 bpg)."
http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=LAWSOJA01
"Posted career averages of 11.9 points, 6.9 rebounds, and 2.87 blocked shots per game. Started in 131 consecutive games in his four-year career. Named Big East Defensive Player of the Year as a senior after recording 105 blocked shots, setting a Villanova single-season record. "
http://www.nba.com/dleague/players/jason_lawson.html
Has long arms to block shots and get rebounds but needs more strength and better moves around the basket. He was the Big East defensive player of the year and is a very hard worker but is not a scorer.
http://www.sandlotshrink.com/bkbcollege.htm

A

AriesMar27

watson and reef make the same amount of money..... if we could solve our thomas problem.... damn...

lue, delk and mo are garbage and wouldnt help our defensive problems... claxton would be nice, knight is a starter.... he is way to good to be bibbys back up.... duhon is cool though.... bobby is too....

2Sptsjunkie: It must be a goal of your entire life to prove that Armstrong will be a bust!
When you say Lawson and Boone you speak about two guys who for 3-4 years were major parts of their teams and had plenty of playing time. Both of them were major prospects coming out of HS, Hilton was a guy who can run and jump. Armstrong was able to get to that level AFTER ONE YEAR OF PLAYING TIME. In terms of development Hilton is like sophomore. That's why most experts like him.
Stats means something but they are no everything:
Dalembert though I don't like him as a player has a much bigger impact on the game than Etan Thomas. Well, Thomas had some injuries but the other reason is Dalembert developed and that's what people are expecting from Hilton.

2Sptsjunkie: It must be a goal of your entire life to prove that Armstrong will be a bust!
When you say Lawson and Boone you speak about two guys who for 3-4 years were major parts of their teams and had plenty of playing time. Both of them were major prospects coming out of HS, Hilton was a guy who can run and jump. Armstrong was able to get to that level AFTER ONE YEAR OF PLAYING TIME. In terms of development Hilton is like sophomore. That's why most experts like him.
Stats means something but they are no everything:
Dalembert though I don't like him as a player has a much bigger impact on the game than Etan Thomas. Well, Thomas had some injuries but the other reason is Dalembert developed and that's what people are expecting from Hilton.
It really isn't my life goal to disprove Armstrong. What you are saying could definitely be true. It's just disconcerting to see such a poor history of similar players (more from past posts, nost Lawson and Boone alone) coupled with Armstrong dissapearing in every big game and getting abused while dissapearing against every NBDL or better prospect. I just think that people want the Kings to get a good big man who can rebound and block shots so badly that they are projecting traits onto HA that just aren't there. If he showed that much promise he's be a top 10 pick. The truth is that he's only relevant this year, because there is such a poor crop of big men. I have to think that in a normal year, he'd be getting discussed as a very late first or second round project. Again, he could become successful, I'm certainly not udbbing myself an expert especially about college which I don't watch nearly as much as pro, but if HA is successful, he will be the exception to the rule and not another example of it. In fact he would actually be an anamoly in recent draft history. History shows that the odds are he might become a servicable backup in 3-4 years if things go well. We should be able to acquire a players like that fairly easily if we wanted.

watson and reef make the same amount of money..... if we could solve our thomas problem.... damn...

lue, delk and mo are garbage and wouldnt help our defensive problems... claxton would be nice, knight is a starter.... he is way to good to be bibbys back up.... duhon is cool though.... bobby is too....
Lue - Solid defensively, can create his own shot, good shooter, can handle the ball well, quick., and clutch. Would bring a spark off the bench. Always thought he was a fine guard since his Laker and Rocket days, continued that last season with the Hawks as 6th man.

Delk - Good defender, can slash and shoot well, good rebounder, strong, not a true PG, but can handle the ball. Older, yes, but so is Bobby. Wouldn't cost much. Showed he can still play when he came to the Pistons, never got time in the playoffs despite playing well off the bench in reg. season. When the Pistons needed scoring.

Mo - I already mentioned his lack of d, but I think he has the ability to defend fine. He just hasn't had the coach to influence that, Muss could be. Damn good on offense, can stuff the stat sheet, and is clutch.

Saying those guys are garbage is ignorant and exaggerating. I've seen enough of them over the years to come to those above descriptions. They're all nice/solid guards for the bench. Not the top choices out there, but are in the middle, and would still suit what we need at back-up PG other than maybe Mo because of questionable defense. One of those three could well be our reality if we don't get Bobby or one of the others. Obviously Duhon/Claxton/Bell/Banks are more ideal, but not as easy to attain because of their value.

Now, on Knight. He's said if he only gets little minutes behind Felton (which is quite likely), he wants out of Charlotte and to be traded to a playoff team. He never said start, and there are only a few playoff/potential playoff teams where he would indeed start. Pacers/Wolves/Heat (never know with J-Will)/Grizzlies. Can't think of any else.

Last edited:
Tyrus Thomas is gonna either be another project turned good like Gerald Wallace...or be another Jonathan Bender...a total bust!

As for Blalock...I think he's nother Jason HArt in the making. Inconsistent jumper...pretty good defender...but nothing special!

Armstrong is where it's at! If not, go with Saer Sene!

If Armstrong falls to us theres no doubt we should take him, the thing that gets me about him is he is not only a defensive standout but he could be good offensively if given the oppurtunity, if you look at his games last season he averaged about 5-6 FG attempts a game, alot being put backs and Offensive boards. His Mid-range jumper is just as good as any big man in this draft, he reminds me alot of Miller out there.
I'm Gonna go with Armstrong or Diaz this year for our pick.

I really don't like the big men in this draft. Most of them won't contribute right away and it seems like a lot of them are going to be taken high just because they fit a need. However, I do like the PG's and a couple of the CG's this year. I would be happy with Rondo (if he fell), Lowry, Rodriguez, Diaz, and Douby. Getting one of those guys would be a good fit for us I think. Saer Sene is intriguing, but I don't know if I have the patience for him...

Well, we could have Stephen Hunter for a secound round pick. Brendan Haywood should be on the block. Pryzbilla or Eddie Griffin if we wanted to go the MLE or cheap trade route.
Tell me can anyone of them shoot from mid-range or put the ball on the floor? I know Griffin can shoot but right now no one knows how his surgery improved it from 29% 3Pt..

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The draft descriptions make O'Bryant sound like he could be another Pryzbilla, but I don't think I've ever seen him play. If he slipped...backup center?

The draft descriptions make O'Bryant sound like he could be another Pryzbilla, but I don't think I've ever seen him play. If he slipped...backup center?

Everything I have heard about the guy is that he is a project. He actually reminds me more of Marcus Camby from some games I have seen him play and physically. He definately has some offensive skill.

I really don't like the big men in this draft. Most of them won't contribute right away and it seems like a lot of them are going to be taken high just because they fit a need. However, I do like the PG's and a couple of the CG's this year. I would be happy with Rondo (if he fell), Lowry, Rodriguez, Diaz, and Douby. Getting one of those guys would be a good fit for us I think. Saer Sene is intriguing, but I don't know if I have the patience for him...
Hilton Armstrong sounds good. Also, Ser-Rod isn't really a fit for this team.

Well, we could have Stephen Hunter for a secound round pick. Brendan Haywood should be on the block. Pryzbilla or Eddie Griffin if we wanted to go the MLE or cheap trade route.
These guys have fragile bodies and lack the intestinal fortitude to win, ultimately. We can do so much better than that.

I'd be really happy if O'Bryant slipped...but I don't think he will. Every mock draft i've seen has him going before we pick and usually in the lottery. He's definitely a project...but who in the draft isn't? IMO top to bottom is filled with players who seem like they could produce- just not right away. Even guys like thomas/aldridge/bargnani/morrison/gay I would bet will need time to adjust to the NBA game. From what I've read, Roy may be the most ready to contribute right away. But thats a moot point considering he and the others I mentioned will be long gone by the time we select. Who knows though? Maybe Petrie will find us a solid sleeper who fits a need.

My guess is Petrie drafts the best player available at #19- even if he's a 6'7" G-F. And I'm fine with that. Why pass on a superior player (who would have a decent chance to be good in the future) just because we currently have players at that position in order to select a lesser player- who might fill a current need but probably won't be able to play right away and may not even pan out?

Generally, Roy/Foye/Ager/Diaz/Douby/Carney/Brewer/Armstrong/Aldridge/Thomas/Rondo/Lowry/Shelden/Brown I think all can contribute right away.

I'm fine with drafting another swingman, this draft is loaded with intriguing ones that seem good and I like. If we do that, one of our young swingmen will be traded. Doubt it's Martin, and probably Garcia. Either Monia or the new guy would, to not have a log-jam. Which we already do kinda, with Artest/likely Bonzi/Martin/Garcia/possibly Monia. And if Bonzi's gone, we'll have a guy with some exp. replace him.

Would I prefer it? No. I'd like to see us draft a defensive big or a small guard who brings a spark and what we need.

Last edited:
Shot blocking and interior defense are key! We need depth at the big man spot because a free agent pickup at PG is a lot easier than a free agent big man. I think an athletic finisher around the basket like and Armstrong or Sene that can block shots and rebound would be able to contribute right away.

Imagine the defensive security that our perimeter defenders would feel knowing that we had a premiere shot blocker back there protecting the goal.

Look what 'Zo did last night. He had almost as many blocks as points, and together with Wade was probably the MVP of Game 6. Without that presence last night the Heat don't win that game.

We don't need a huge contributor offensively...just a good interior defender to bang people around, block shots, rebound, and finish around the basket. I think Armstrong and Sene can provide that out of the gate.

I think an athletic finisher around the basket like and Armstrong or Sene that can block shots and rebound would be able to contribute right away. I think Armstrong and Sene can provide that out of the gate.
Sene is absolute zero offensively right now: just cannot quickly figure out what's going on on offense. And his rebounding will be weak until he bulks up. In 2-3 seasons he can be a serious force though.

Yeah, watching the video of Sene... I would never draft him. Maybe, MAYBE in three or four years he'll be an NBA-type player. But I'd let him sit on someone else's bench. The problem with the "project" players is that they almost never contribute to the team that drafts them (Gerald Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal, Darko, Diop, Joe Johnson) -- it's always the NEXT team that reaps the benefit. So why draft one of those players?

Last edited:
I think the Kings are closer than alot of people think to actually using this pick to fill a specific need...the 'big's' that will most likely be available at #19 would be more than capable of filling THAT need. Armstrong and Boone being, I think, the best of those guys available.

The only thing is that there are not a lot of good PG's on the FA market this year. A few really good, i.e. Claxton and James, but there are a lot of quality bigs out there. I could easily see us filling that need on the FA market and not through a trade.

I

But, there are also PGs not FAs that can be had by us.... Duhon/Bell/Mo Williams/Lue.

Banks/B-Jax/Delk/Claxton/James for FAs. The last two probably out of our range.

I don't care what it's through (FA/Trades), just get at least 1 defensive big, and a two-way back-up PG, or just an upgrade over Hart. Bonzi here or not will be taken care of, and if he's gone, Martin starts and we get a experienced swingman to replace Bonzi.

From the looks of it, I could realistically see the pick being moved on draft day. We already have 3 young players to develop and the rest of the team isn't old. Bonzi will play until he's 36 or whatever, Artest is only 26, Mike is 28, Shareef is 29, there just ins't a lot of room for too many young players.

If not I hope they pick the best player available, because they most likely won't see much of the court. And at least then they can trade him later on.