Domantas "Big D" Sabonis

why do we do this?

Can they not just both be referred to as legitimately great players?
I hear you. Pacers are doing well; Tyrese is putting up 20/4/10 on a 48/40/88 shooting line, and, at 22, he's the best player on that team and someone I'll guess they're THRILLED to have as the face of the franchise, probably for a long, long time. (Buddy also seems to be doing well for himself.) As great as Domas is doing, I *strongly* suspect that Pacers fans don't want a trade do-over either.

And, as we've said many times, REALLY good bet that neither Domas nor Tyrese would be having the years they're having w/their former teams.

A huge win-win for both sides. And I'm happy with that.

It's "at least" so it's kind of one of those made up stats. Although if he had 15 15/15/15 games exactly that would be something.
I think his overall line of 19pts 16 ast 15 boards is even more rare when you "at least" it, despite not being wildly off the cool number.
Now that the NBA stats dudes have the means to crunch numbers out the wazoo, amazing how many "milestones" we hear about now, in't it?

Last edited:
Now that the NBA stats dudes have the means to crunch numbers out the wazoo, amazing how many "milestones" we hear about now, in't it?
The arbitrariness of it all can make it seem as if we're really reaching to claim that a statline constitutes some kind of major milestone or historical achievement. And with the rise of volume three-point shooting and all the rule changes that tilt advantage further in the direction of the offense, there are so many opportunities now for individual players to uncork 40- and 50-point games, rendering those performances far more prosaic than they should be. I just kind of shrug these days when a scorer drops 50 on the opposition. Offensive greatness seems engineered now by the NBA's perpetual momentum away from basketball-as-sport and towards basketball-as-entertainment-product. It actually makes me appreciate Domas even more, since he goes so far out of his way to play for others, resisting the league-wide gravity of being the 30 ppg scorer he very easily could be.

Wut, "first time any player has logged a 23/9/8 stat line on 72%+ shooting w/5 steals, 3 blocks, and less than 2 fouls in 24 min or less" doesn't have quite the same ring for you?
The best part about it is there's a certain crowd that says the old era of basketball was crap and nobody is on par with athletes today but whenever they throw this type of line out it's like "first time since Oscar/Russell/Wilt/KAJ"

You can really tell he avoids putting that injured hand into certain areas on defense right now. It's the only thing keeping him from being too aggressive or handsy on that end + the fear of refs screwing us im sure. LIGHT THE BEAM tho!!!

You can really tell he avoids putting that injured hand into certain areas on defense right now. It's the only thing keeping him from being too aggressive or handsy on that end + the fear of refs screwing us im sure.
Maybe that is the secret to Domas actually not being fouled out by the refs every game since he hurt his thumb. Whatever it is, he should keep playing the same way so he does not foul out, because that gives the Kings the best chance to win every game.

He also willingly traded away his biggest draft success to create a much more balanced roster.

Poor drafting is probably the biggest reason for the Kings playoff drought. When you draft well, it gives you either the option of developing that player or having a valuable trade chip. The jury is still out on Mitchell, but Murray looks like a starter caliber player for years to come, and Haliburton is likely a future all-star.

I wish Monte had better success in the second round, but at least he's not whiffing on first rounders. That's huge for the Kings.
Monte didn't draft Papagiannis so he is already winning

Yeah, absolutely not. Domas type players simply don't grow on trees, and, while i thoroughly enjoy Haliburtons game, i think you can find guys like him with a similar skillset or close to it.
You wouldn't make the trade because of the perceived fit, not because of the players individual skill level.

I hear you. Pacers are doing well; Tyrese is putting up 20/4/10 on a 48/40/88 shooting line, and, at 22, he's the best player on that team and someone I'll guess they're THRILLED to have as the face of the franchise, probably for a long, long time. (Buddy also seems to be doing well for himself.) As great as Domas is doing, I *strongly* suspect that Pacers fans don't want a trade do-over either.

And, as we've said many times, REALLY good bet that neither Domas nor Tyrese would be having the years they're having w/their former teams.

A huge win-win for both sides. And I'm happy with that.
One of those rare trades that was fantastic for both teams. Franchise changing on both ends really. Remarkable.

What’s crazy about Domas is that his usage rate is quite low. Not even top 50 in the NBA but advanced stats wise he’s right up there with all the MVP candidates. Win shares top 5, offensive efficiency top 5. It’s crazy that we’re basically lobbying for him to be in consideration as an all star when statistically he’s more suited for the MVP or atleast All NBA discussion.

Other “walking triple double” player like Jokic and Luka are in the 30’s.They shoot a lot more and are better scorers but Domas is at 20 percent and putting up 19-13-7. Everything goes through him but he’s not the slightest bit ball dominant. Seems he’s always right where he needs to be or he knows immediately where the ball needs to go.

As the Kings build ever greater chemistry and add even more of the right guys around Domas..I can easily see him averaging what he did this week over the course of an entire season.

Kings can build something very special around him.

What’s crazy about Domas is that his usage rate is quite low. Not even top 50 in the NBA but advanced stats wise he’s right up there with all the MVP candidates. Win shares top 5, offensive efficiency top 5. It’s crazy that we’re basically lobbying for him to be in consideration as an all star when statistically he’s more suited for the MVP or atleast All NBA discussion.

Other “walking triple double” player like Jokic and Luka are in the 30’s.They shoot a lot more and are better scorers but Domas is at 20 percent and putting up 19-13-7. Everything goes through him but he’s not the slightest bit ball dominant. Seems he’s always right where he needs to be or he knows immediately where the ball needs to go.

As the Kings build ever greater chemistry and add even more of the right guys around Domas..I can easily see him averaging what he did this week over the course of an entire season.

They haven't invented the stats that can track how good this guy is... fine by me! Won't have to pay him as much! (My nona's lasagna should suffice anyway. DOMAS - Did you get my voicemail!???!)

Yeah I think what truly makes Domas special is he doesn't demand the typical star shot volume that basically every other NBA star does. He's perfectly content letting Fox take over in the 4th, he wants to find the BEST shot possible, not the best shot HE can get on any given possession. As good and efficient as he is as a scorer, I think our offense would drop off he had a 28%+ USG rate because we wouldn't be getting nearly as many great shots, especially 3's as we do now.

And his unselfishness keeps everyone else engaged in the offense, which is a super underrated aspect of his game. You think guys playing next to Luka think they'll get the rock every time if they make a hard cut, or work off-ball to get open? This team really is the Golden era Kings (offense) reborn with how unselfish everyone is to get the best shot possible

dude12

Hall of Famer
It’s easier to find a PG capable of playing at a high level. The league is full of them. It’s not so easy to find a Center like Sabonis. How many bigs are like Sabonis? 1 or 2? Jokic. Embiid is fairly special.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It’s easier to find a PG capable of playing at a high level. The league is full of them. It’s not so easy to find a Center like Sabonis. How many bigs are like Sabonis? 1 or 2? Jokic. Embiid is fairly special.
I keep waiting for Adebayo to get there, but he never seems to take that next step. Sengun might get there someday, too. But yeah, you can pretty much count them all on one hand.

I keep waiting for Adebayo to get there, but he never seems to take that next step. Sengun might get there someday, too. But yeah, you can pretty much count them all on one hand.
someone on reddit said Sengun was "for sure definitely" going to wind up between Sabonis and Jokic and I was like hold up there. I questioned if they were sleeping on Sabonis with that comment and they said they were a big fan too.

I don't want to wade into how easy it is to replace Haliburton but it is at least somewhat noteworthy that we got him with the 12th overall pick and as great as Fox is playing it is universally assumed at this point he will be left out of the all-star game. Couple that with the fact nobody outside of Sacramento cared about Haliburton until the second he was traded and I can only say that as long as the baskets are 10 feet high, the game will always favor the taller player as long as skill sets are comparable and the taller player remains in good health.