Do you LIKE the idea of Coach Whis being the new Kings coach?

Do you LIKE the idea of Coach Whis becoming the new Kings head coach?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Since you can only have one poll in a thread, and I really think the other one is worded badly, I'm starting an alterative poll...

POLL WARS 2006!!!

;)

Nope. I think it's unfair to the Monarchs and it's a bad idea for the kings. Wasn't Michael Cooper a pretty good WNBA coach? He came and coached for the nuggets and went like 4-10 before he got fired. If he doesn't work out here than the Monarchs end up without a coach and so do the kings. He has no NBA coaching experience and he never played in the NBA either. From what I've heard he plays some type of full court pressing defense? That would NEVER work because we have Miller and Bibby on the same team. That would make players very tired in an 82 game season+playoffs. We don't have a deep team either.

Bring in Elie please-you know the guy with 3 rings.

No I don't...

1.He won't command respect, it's unfair to say, but he won't get the respect from the players

2.Woman's basketball and Men's basketball is completely different

3.That sucks for the Monarchs

Tonight on sports line a guy called in and said he thinks it sounds like it's Coach Whis's job to lose. Someone else is going to have to come in and wow the Organization to take the job from him.

Grant said he couldn't really disagree with that comment. He believe's that coach Whis is one of the leading candidates if not THE leading candidate on the coaching list.

BMiller52 said:
From what I've heard he plays some type of full court pressing defense? That would NEVER work because we have Miller and Bibby on the same team. That would make players very tired in an 82 game season+playoffs. We don't have a deep team either.
No, the white line defense is basically a weakside help in the paint area, designed to prevent layups and from post players getting the ball often. Defenders have to be ready to rotate quickly, help their teammate when they get beat by an opposing player, etc. But yeah, we don't have enough players that could do it, nor do we have a bench that's good enough to prevent starters from getting tired.

Last edited:
How is that different from regular defense? It sounds like a simple man-to-man. You get beat, someone else helps, and you rotate. Do they always front the post or something?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sirius said:
Yeah.

I don't know much about it, but it has frustrated opponents at every level Whis has been at, who knows whether or not it works in the NBA.
The problem with many things like that is that wonderful schemes that work beautifully at lower levels all of a sudden do not in the NBA. Defensive principles are fine, but expecting to carry over a gimmick defense has sunk many a college coach trying to make the jump, let alone something from he WNBA. The size/speed/athleticism is just so vastly different.

Last edited:
No.

Nothing against Wiz, but it would be very hard for him to get the players to respect him. That may be a pseudo-sexist thing to say, but it is what it is.

So whiz now is more qualified than adelman to have a chance at having ron artest and Bonzi wells both for a full season to get that next level of Basketball. What's up with Geoff petrie is he 110 % with this idea, Doesn't petrie no that the WNBA and the NBA are two different leagues. Who's the GM, Is whiz going to takeover Petrie's Job, Who's making the basketball moves.Whiz has no NBA experience what are they going to do offensively not just Defensively. Can whiz even do the job, is he Really qualified to even realisticlly take the position.

The monarchs were blown out by 15 points tonight do they know something we don't know, Are they concerned that their coach is leaving.

Bricklayer

So this is what you fire a 700 win coach for?

John Whisenhart, NBA Coaching Qualifications:

Late 60's -- Assistant coach Coffeyville Community College
Early 70's -- Head Coach Arizona Western (Yuma) Div I-AA?, 4 seasons, 97-30
Mid-70's -- Assistant coach Universtity of New Mexico
------------------
Left coaching for a couple decades
------------------
Early 90's -- Head coach of his son's AAU team (!) goes 176-16
Late 90's -- Head coach of the New Mexico Storm of the defunct 2 year old IBL, goes 51-35
2003-06 -- Head coach of WNBA Monarchs
2003 -- 12-4
2004 -- 18-16
2005 -- 25-9 (+ won title)
2006 -- 2-1

Hey I'm sold. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Kings will be ok...

There's a pleuthora of talent on the team, a great finish to the season.
There's a defensive-minded coach with a track record of winning at every level.
There's momentum and change.

The only thing I worry about is what kind of offense will the Kings run without a true point guard...

Bricklayer

wow22 said:
There's a defensive-minded coach with a track record of winning at every level.
Yes, once you've done it at the AAU, IBL and Div I-AA levels, its NBA here I come!* :rolleyes:

*at least if the Maloof brothers are using your nose as mobile hemmorhoid relief

I'm not even going to bother trying to defend this one. If trolls start popping up on the board to taunt us, not only do I think I'll let them go, I think I'll join them. What a reeking of amateurism/its-my-toy-and-I'll-do-what-I-want-to thing to do.

Last edited:
Right now I just wanna *****-slap both the Maloof into oblivion. If this is true, this is atrocious. Yea, Whis is a good coach, but he's coaches our Monarchs, out WNBA Champion Monarchs. Why the hell would you mess up a good thing? Add the fact that he has no NBA experience. What have they been smoking? Cuz I want some of that right about now.:mad:

VF21 said:
Since you can only have one poll in a thread, and I really think the other one is worded badly, I'm starting an alterative poll...

POLL WARS 2006!!!

;)
Why is HELL NO not an option???

I would rather have Adelman back than a WNBA coach so you pretty much can deduce that I don't like the decision.....if this is indeed the decision.

I think I am going to go yogging....

While I'm actually a fan of Mario Ellie as the Kings new coach, let's remember that jsut because Whiz doesn't have any coaching experience and is currently coaching in the WNBA, don't forget what Don Haskins did with Texas Western!

I know that was a different era and all that, but remember that Haskins was the coach of a high school girls team before becoming the coach at Texas Western. He had no previous college experience, but lead his no-namers to a national championship beating Kentucky and the legendary Adolf Rupp.

Now, like I said...I know we're talking 2006 and not the 60's, but the fact remains that if Whiz is the right man for the job, and is hired, he's gonna have success no matter how much experience he had before at this level. Now we just have to trust that if the Maloofs and Petrie think he's the right man for the job, then they know something we don't. Until they fail us, let them continue to do their thing!

Amanjoy said:
While I'm actually a fan of Mario Ellie as the Kings new coach, let's remember that jsut because Whiz doesn't have any coaching experience and is currently coaching in the WNBA, don't forget what Don Haskins did with Texas Western!

I know that was a different era and all that, but remember that Haskins was the coach of a high school girls team before becoming the coach at Texas Western. He had no previous college experience, but lead his no-namers to a national championship beating Kentucky and the legendary Adolf Rupp.

Now, like I said...I know we're talking 2006 and not the 60's, but the fact remains that if Whiz is the right man for the job, and is hired, he's gonna have success no matter how much experience he had before at this level. Now we just have to trust that if the Maloofs and Petrie think he's the right man for the job, then they know something we don't. Until they fail us, let them continue to do their thing!
How is he going to have success no matter how much experience he had before this level.

Amanjoy said:

This doesn't make sense

Amanjoy said:

this is just silly. texas western was a no-name school to begin with. the sacramento kings are an nba franchise with a track record for winning in the last 8 years. though the team has been on the decline the last couple of years--due largely to personnel turnover--they are still a team that expects to make a splash come playoff time, especially with more "improvements" on the way. you take a risk on a guy like john whisenant if you're a young, fledgling team trying to get into the playoffs, not a veteran team trying to reestablish themselves as nba elite. the maloofs are being ridiculous, and while there is the possibility that it could very well work out, there is no reason to believe it will. whisenant has zero nba experience. he's won everywhere he's been? well tell me then, people...where's he been? again, here's bricklayer's rundown of the places whisnenant has been:

Late 60's -- Assistant coach Coffeyville Community College
Early 70's -- Head Coach Arizona Western (Yuma) Div I-AA?, 4 seasons, 97-30
Mid-70's -- Assistant coach Universtity of New Mexico
------------------
Left coaching for a couple decades
------------------
Early 90's -- Head coach of his son's AAU team (!) goes 176-16
Late 90's -- Head coach of the New Mexico Storm of the defunct 2 year old IBL, goes 51-35
2003-06 -- Head coach of WNBA Monarchs
2003 -- 12-4
2004 -- 18-16
2005 -- 25-9 (+ won title)
2006 -- 2-1

yup...we've got a "winner" on our hands, ladies and gentlemen. this is a guy that has exactly what it takes to coach a veteran nba team 82 games a season, all the way into the postseason. :rolleyes:

shaka zulu said:
How is he going to have success no matter how much experience he had before this level.
Sometimes in basketball...it just works! You can't always explain why...but it does. Adelman's style isn't fit for the team the KIngs have and get the players to respond to him...then he's gonna be successful. Some people just know how to do it, and others don't.

Adelman knew how to coach the Kings team we had back from '98 to 2003, but it was different with this team. He didn't have the players that suited his style of play, and that was the problem. If the Maloofs find the right guy for the job who's style is one that caters best to the Kings players, and can get them to respond to him and respect him, then he'll be successful.

If Whiz is the right fit, then he'll be successful. If not, then I'm sure the Maloofs won't hire him and will keep him with the Monarchs.

Mario Ellie heads my list because he's won championships as a player and knows how to win those games. If I think about the most clutch shooters in playoff history NOT named West, Bird or Jordan, (or that won't be in the Hall of Fame), Ellie jumps into my head along with Horry. THe best way to guage a championship coach in my opinion is if he contributed to one either as an assistant or as a player. Ellie did that hitting big shots when it mattered for Houston and SA, and also knows how important it is to play defense to get you there. Now I know that if Ellie coaches the Kings he's not gonna be out there shooting the big shot or playing D in the last 2 minutes, but as I said, the experience factor, and the mentality of a winner in those situations is what the Kings need running that sideline. Ellie's got it, which is something that sets him apart from the rest of the candidates so far.

Musselman couldn't get it done in GS, and Carlisimo doesn't have a good history with volitile players of the Artest and Bonzi character (Sprewell). Right now, I see Ellie as a guy that would demand respect based on what he did as a player, and bring a hard-nosed defensive philosphy to the Kings that would suit the style that Artest wants to play with this team. Also, he can better relate to the guys on the team and has a personality that caters to being more visible in the community.

In my opinion, Adelman's legacy can be summed up in 2 games!

1992 against Chicago blowing a double digit lead against the Bulls to give Chicago their 2nd championship.

2002 against the Lakers where the Kings blew a 17-pt. halftime lead that would've sent them home for Game 5 up 3-1. Instead they blow it and Horry immortalizes himself in LAker lore, and we PROBABLY (speculation) never go to game 7 and miss 14 FT's on our home floor.

Now, I know the players are the ones doing the work on the court...but when you have double-digit leads in the playoffs on the road, great coaches will go for the kill and adjust based on the other coach's adjustments to put the game out of reach! Some of the blame for those infamous debacles have to be put on the coach. Adelman has never been one to do that. He just sticks to his routine and becomes very predictable.

Adelman was a great regular season coach, but his playoff history works to his disadvantage unfortunately.

That's why I think the Maloofs are looking at people that have won a champinship whether as a coach or as a player (even a WNBA championship). I don't necessarily agree with Whiz either as coach of the Kings. For reasons mentioned in my previous posts, I think Ellie is the guy!

Ok, I know my Texas Western example was a little out there...but anything is possible in the world of sports.

Last edited:
Just to reiterate, Adelman has no set style. He coaches the talent that he is given, because that is what great coaches do. Then again, he doesn't play "white line" or "red knuckle" or "Blue 42" defense, so there's that.

And to steal a line from the Sports Guy: It's going to be hard for the Wizzinator to coach next year while he's covered in Rick Adelman's blood. Rick's got a big bowie knife sticking out of his back with the Wizzinator's name on it.