Do it before it is too late

http://www.wmortv32.com/nba/17868238/detail.html

Knicks' coach Mike D'Antoni reportedly wants to see point guard Stephon Marbury waived.

John Salmons
6-6 SG from Miami-Fla.
16.7 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.7 apg in 37.8 minutes

Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
0.0 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.0 apg in 7.0 minutes

Brad Miller
7-0 C from Purdue
No games yet played in 2008-2009 Outgoing Players

FOR

David Lee
6-9 PF from Florida
14.5 ppg, 11.0 rpg, 4.0 apg in 34.3 minutes

Stephon Marbury
6-2 PG from Georgia Tech
No games yet played in 2008-2009

Last edited:
Yeah, but we lose a 16 ppg player so far in salmons. If we can trade someone else off besides Salmons I'm all in, but otherwise I think we are losing to much. Mabye replace him with Shelden or something. And I'm still not sold yet on David Lee, then again ive only seen him play very few times, but when i do im not impressed.

Yeah, but we lose a 16 ppg player so far in salmons. If we can trade someone else off besides Salmons I'm all in, but otherwise I think we are losing to much. Mabye replace him with Shelden or something. And I'm still not sold yet on David Lee, then again ive only seen him play very few times, but when i do im not impressed.
The reason I included Salmons is we shed more salary and we free up some playing time for our younger players.

We lose talent wise, and I'm really not sold on Lee anymore. With that in mind..............get it done. the quicker we rebuild (the right way) the better.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Marbury is a Cancer. It seems we are in such a hurry to rid ourselves of KT and Brad, some of us would take anything or anybody. Not me. No thanks!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We can get a much better deal, should Petrie be so inclined, for Brad Miller than Stephon Marbury. Miller and Thomas have very nice expiring contracts coming up... Trading them at this point might be fun to contemplate but I really doubt if it happens...

Marbury on the Kings? No freaking way!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The Knicks are not going to trade Lee...

Yeah, that is the essential problem there. They'll cheerfully drop a sligtly used, and very heavy, Eddie Curry bomb on us though.

Another possibility if interest:

Wally Sczerbiak -- $13million ending contract for the Cavs. Been watching that. Their weakness? A full sized shooting guard who can also play defense. Answer: John Salmons? Of course they would lose shooting, and so then...Brad Miller to complete the frontcourt? I dunno. Get Kenny in the mix maybe. Have to wonder if they would jsut see Salmons as Larry Hughes 2.0 -- not a great spot shooter, needs the ball to be effective, and maybe not a great match with LeBron. But as they make their last pitch here to LeBron to stay, I have to believe they might be open to a raft of veteran players to complete their team and make a run at things this year. With Big Ben a shell, they're half a man short of up front, and they are running 3 PGs and calling it a backcourt. Maybe we could help in return for a big ender and...not sure what else they have we could use. Question would be -- they have an enormoous payroll this year, are they desperate enough to hold onto Wally as an ender to help trim it that they would risk LeBron getting happy feet?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Marbury is a Cancer. It seems we are in such a hurry to rid ourselves of KT and Brad, some of us would take anything or anybody. Not me. No thanks!

People are so stubborn on this issue.

Stephon Marbury would NEVER HAVE TO SUIT UP AS A KING. He would never wear the colors. If you make a move like this, you are just liquidating contracts. It is not, and never was, about Steph as a player. You just waive him and move on. Its a move to make if you are interested in clearing cap room for this upcoming summer, which is a possibility maybe. We have talked 2010, and the possible FA there are tremendous, but then the problem is that every other team in the league is looking at the same offseason, so you are going to be just one of a dozen teams bidding on those guys, most of hom will probably jsut resign with their original clubs. Or...maybe you jsut try to be the big fish int he small pond, clear the cap room here, today, for this upcoming offseason, and then get to pcik whoever you want this summer with little competition (the FAs are not nearly as attractive though).

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Lee. He's not flashy, but at the end of the day he capable of a double double more often than not. He's actualy what we all want Sheldon to be with a little more offense. Garbage offense, but non the less he gets his points. The problem is we would probably have to take Marbury to get him. Lee's only 24 yr's old and is just entering his prime. I could see Thompson as the starter and Lee as the backup.

The Knicks are undoubtably looking for cap relief, so I could see Sheldon being part of the deal. Maybe Mikki and Douby too. I haven't taken the time to do the math to make it work. Do I think this will happen? No!

I can see the merit of Brickys idea with Cleveland. The big fish in the small pond is a good idea. The talent available is not as good, but you never know whats possible. Who would have thought that Baron Davis would jump to the Clips and that Brand would leave the Clips. If your the one with the money, who knows. And, you don't have to spend it if no one blows you away. You can always sit on it till next year.

Bricklayer

There is no probably BTW -- Lee is D'Antoni's new Marion and an absolute key to his smallballing over there. Prying him away now is as unlikley as it has ever been.

nuggets are looking marbury. If this is not salary relief for them and they intend to actually use him. Then they are stupid. Who the hell is going to get the ball between A.I. , Melo and Marbury?

I ask this is a serious question, realizing that there may be problems with the idea:

Why not just hold on to Miller and Thomas until their contracts expire and then use all that extra money to try and sign an All-Star caliber player such as Bosh or Aldridge?

Bricklayer

I ask this is a serious question, realizing that there may be problems with the idea:

Why not just hold on to Miller and Thomas until their contracts expire and then use all that extra money to try and sign an All-Star caliber player such as Bosh or Aldridge?

Thomas may get that treatment, almost out of necessity. Its pretty obvious Miller would be in the way of the young bigs and stealing their development. Of course the problem with the '10 free agency theory is that so many teams are following it that we are likely to be of the least attractive destinations in a seller's market.

Maybe we possibly include Beno? He seems like a guy that could fit well into D'Antoni's system. So we say sayonara to Beno, Brad, and Kenny and in return we get Lee and Marbury. Marbury gets waived. Jackson or Brown could start at the point. It isn't like we are trying to win games now anyway.