DiVincenzo and his camp unhappy

I'm really liking DiVincenzo and think he can be a solid starting SG next to Fox next year. I really hope this report is untrue (or that it can at least be sorted out).

Below are DiVincenzo's per36 min stats with us this year:
  • TS% = .532
  • FGA = 11.8
  • FG% = .362
  • 2PA = 4.0
  • 2P% = .351
  • 3PA = 7.8
  • 3P% = .368
  • FTA = 3.0
  • FT% = .839
  • PPG = 14.0
  • RPG = 6.0
  • APG = 4.8
  • SPG = 2.0
  • BPG = 0.3
  • TOPG = 2.4
  • AST:TO = 2.02

That's a pretty solid role playing, 3&D starting SG and those numbers don't really differ from his last season in Milwaukee when he was healthy:
  • TS% = .542
  • FGA = 12.0
  • FG% = .420
  • 2PA = 5.1
  • 2P% = .475
  • 3PA = 6.9
  • 3P% = .379
  • FTA = 1.4
  • FT% = .718
  • PPG = 13.7
  • RPG = 7.5
  • APG = 4.0
  • SPG = 1.4
  • BPG = 0.3
  • TOPG = 1.8
  • AST:TO = 2.23

PPG, RPG, APG, SPG, AST:TO, & 3P% are all similar, but the major difference is that he's been shooting .351 from two while he shot .475 from two in Milwaukee.

If he's consistently knocking down his C&S 3s, his ball handling, passing, unselfishness, defense, rebounding, & hustle would fit extremely well with Fox.

I'm really liking DiVincenzo and think he can be a solid starting SG next to Fox next year. I really hope this report is untrue (or that it can at least be sorted out).

• TS% = .532
  • FGA = 11.8
  • FG% = .362
  • 2PA = 4.0
  • 2P% = .351
  • 3PA = 7.8
  • 3P% = .368
  • FTA = 3.0
  • FT% = .839
  • PPG = 14.0
  • RPG = 6.0
  • APG = 4.8
  • SPG = 2.0
  • BPG = 0.3
  • TOPG = 2.4

That's a pretty solid role playing, 3&D starting SG and those numbers don't really differ from his last season in Milwaukee when he was healthy:
  • TS% = .542
  • FGA = 12.0
  • FG% = .420
  • 2PA = 5.1
  • 2P% = .475
  • 3PA = 6.9
  • 3P% = .379
  • FTA = 1.4
  • FT% = .718
  • PPG = 13.7
  • RPG = 7.5
  • APG = 4.0
  • SPG = 1.4
  • BPG = 0.3
  • TOPG = 1.8

PPG, RPG, APG, SPG, AST:TO, & 3P% are all similar, but the major difference is that he's been shooting .351 from two while he shot .475 from two in Milwaukee.

If he's consistently knocking down his C&S 3s, his ball handling, passing, unselfishness, defense, rebounding, & hustle would fit extremely well with Fox.
Yep it all comes down to how well he can shoot. Ideally Fox needs a knock down shooter next to him since he struggles himself but I don't think a Buddy Hield that plays defense is available so DDV is the best option the Kings have.

What's promising is DDV's C&S percentages were much higher than his percentages off the bounce. Also Fox shot 38% from 3 during the last 6 games and that was on almost 6 attempts a game. His previous 43 games, he shot 25% on 3.7 attempts. Hopefully he figured something out at the end of the season.

DDV checks a lot of boxes next to Fox. If he can shoot, he'll be a good fit.

• TS% = .532
  • FGA = 11.8
  • FG% = .362
  • 2PA = 4.0
  • 2P% = .351
  • 3PA = 7.8
  • 3P% = .368
  • FTA = 3.0
  • FT% = .839
  • PPG = 14.0
  • RPG = 6.0
  • APG = 4.8
  • SPG = 2.0
  • BPG = 0.3
  • TOPG = 2.4

• TS% = .542
  • FGA = 12.0
  • FG% = .420
  • 2PA = 5.1
  • 2P% = .475
  • 3PA = 6.9
  • 3P% = .379
  • FTA = 1.4
  • FT% = .718
  • PPG = 13.7
  • RPG = 7.5
  • APG = 4.0
  • SPG = 1.4
  • BPG = 0.3
  • TOPG = 1.8

And because donkey Gentry refused to start him when Sabonis was playing, we didn't get to see much of his off-ball game/cutting in full effect off the Sabonis playmaking.

At the end of the day, he's just a good player that the Kings can't afford to lose or replace in a season they have to make the playoffs.

Yep it all comes down to how well he can shoot. Ideally Fox needs a knock down shooter next to him since he struggles himself but I don't think a Buddy Hield that plays defense is available so DDV is the best option the Kings have.

What's promising is DDV's C&S percentages were much higher than his percentages off the bounce. Also Fox shot 38% from 3 during the last 6 games and that was on almost 6 attempts a game. His previous 43 games, he shot 25% on 3.7 attempts. Hopefully he figured something out at the end of the season.

DDV checks a lot of boxes next to Fox. If he can shoot, he'll be a good fit.
Yeah, admittedly, he's not the ideal height/length and his shooting isn't elite (which is obviously preferable), but how many players can do what DiVincenzo does while also being 6'6"+ w/ a 6'10"+ wingspan and shooting 40%+ from 3? At a certain point, are we just being nit picky? ;)

To give him credit, he shot 37.9% from 3 on 6.9 3PA (per36) last year and has shot 36.8% from 3 on 7.8 3PA (per36) with us this year. Yeah it's not 40%+, but his volume is sizeable as well. And like others have pointed out, he has shot 42.2% from 3 on C&S opportunities with us this year which is critical when playing off-ball to Fox. .

DiVincenzo is one of the pieces that excites me about next year once we get the rest of the gang back & healthy.

And because donkey Gentry refused to start him when Sabonis was playing, we didn't get to see much of his off-ball game/cutting in full effect off the Sabonis playmaking.

At the end of the day, he's just a good player that the Kings can't afford to lose or replace in a season they have to make the playoffs.

Yeah, really hoping this is BS or they can resolve their differences. I want DiVincenzo back.

If we can flip Holmes, #37, etc. for Plumlee & PJ Washington and then maybe draft Keegan Murray with our pick, we all of a sudden have a pretty well fitting, complementary, & deep roster:

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - DiVincenzo / Davis
SF - Barnes / Holiday / Harkless
PF - Washington / Murray / Lyles / Metu
C - Sabonis / Plumlee / Len

Yeah, admittedly, he's not the ideal height/length and his shooting isn't elite (which is obviously preferable), but how many players can do what DiVincenzo does while also being 6'6"+ w/ a 6'10"+ wingspan and shooting 40%+ from 3? At a certain point, are we just being nit picky? ;)

To give him credit, he shot 37.9% from 3 on 6.9 3PA (per36) last year and has shot 36.8% from 3 on 7.8 3PA (per36) with us this year. Yeah it's not 40%+, but his volume is sizeable as well. And like others have pointed out, he has shot 42.2% from 3 on C&S opportunities with us this year which is critical when playing off-ball to Fox. .

DiVincenzo is one of the pieces that excites me about next year once we get the rest of the gang back & healthy.
It's nit picky but fit is always a concern when you have a PG who has a huge question mark when it comes to shooting. If Fox can continue to shoot close to what he did to end the season, then those question marks are going to be much smaller.

If Kyrie was our PG, I wouldn't have any question marks about his fit because we wouldn't be as reliant on his shot. It would just be more of a bonus if it did go on. With Fox, you're really relying on DDV to keep up his percentages where they currently are at minimum.

With the way our conversation situation’s shaping up, we might still have max money next summer even with DDV on the books.
Maybe. Obviously we don't know what's going to be possible but if they do, it would probably involve flat out releasing Barnes if they can't erase Holmes' deal. The smart plan is to hold out the potential to sign Barnes back AND have space over that option. A Barnes is much harder to replace than a combo G. It's still all about draft night to me. Select Mathurin, Davis, or Agbaji and Donte has to go. Do something else and he is hopefully brought back on a reasonable deal. You can't have too many bodies at 1-2 and this organization could write the book on ruining your locker room by building your team from back to front salary wise when it comes to the rotation. Those 8-12 guys can't be overpaid and can't be guaranteed minutes.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't understand why you would not want to lock up DDV for a few years at a reasonable price rather than let him have a great year next year and have to compete to re-sign him? Now sure if the guy is hell bound to go out and find an Atlanta willing to overpay and throw in poison pills to the deal I guess that's something to be concerned with, but in that case he isn't signing the lowball tender deal either.

I don't understand why you would not want to lock up DDV for a few years at a reasonable price rather than let him have a great year next year and have to compete to re-sign him? Now sure if the guy is hell bound to go out and find an Atlanta willing to overpay and throw in poison pills to the deal I guess that's something to be concerned with, but in that case he isn't signing the lowball tender deal either.
For the same reason you don't sign someone like Jason Thompson to that deal when you had a lottery pick and other cheaper options already and you weren't winning. If Donte came back on a 1 year QO, busts out, well, guess what, you have space to sign him back anyway. Let it play out before jumping off the deep end. Atlanta timed their coaching transition better and had a blip of success but even their "Kings" style team build of uber depth, positional duplication, and a busted cap is catching up to them. If Donte is a 4th/5th G, you DO NOT pay that player MLE money on a team where this one currently sits. The on paper moves like the Holmes deal last year are just that, on paper, until you win. Yes, Holmes can be worth that contract, but not for the Kings now.

Sometimes it seems like both the Kings and Kings fans are just plain allergic to quality role players. DiVincenzo needs to be locked up long-term, particularly since there likely isn't much of a market this offseason for another franchise to throw an outrageous contract at him that the Kings might someday regret matching. When healthy and in proper form, DDV is exactly the kind of player that winning teams give 30 mpg regardless of whether or not he's starting (and for the record, I'm firmly in the "start him" camp).

With the way our cap situation’s shaping up, we might still have max money next summer even with DDV on the books.
Assuming DiVincenzo signs a similar deal as Holmes:

1649715179839.png

We're certainly within striking distance of a max spot. Moving Holmes for an expiring and a cheap piece (and finishing better than the 7th worst record next year) will definitely help.

Sometimes it seems like both the Kings and Kings fans are just plain allergic to quality role players. DiVincenzo needs to be locked up long-term, particularly since there likely isn't much of a market this offseason for another franchise to throw an outrageous contract at him that the Kings might someday regret matching. When healthy and in proper form, DDV is exactly the kind of player that winning teams give 30 mpg regardless of whether or not he's starting (and for the record, I'm firmly in the "start him" camp).
Not on this board. They make it sound like signing that Jason Thompson, or Holmes, or whoever is the make or break. And then subsequently watch that contract become an albatross. You re-sign those players when proven to be a major part of the winning ingredient. Prioritizing role players while mired in mediocrity gets you stuck. As the Kings have shown time and again over the last 16 years.

I'm against starting him hes not starter level IMO unless you have a mega star on the roster. I would look to move Holmes and sign Monk first before I negotiate with DDV.

Assuming DiVincenzo signs a similar deal as Holmes:

View attachment 11019

We're certainly within striking distance of a max spot. Moving Holmes for an expiring and a cheap piece (and finishing better than the 7th worst record next year) will definitely help.
And in a worst case, you might have pull out a horrendous JT style dump of a 1st rounder in desperation to get that space. Worth the gamble? Hmm... wasn't before.

I'm against starting him hes not starter level IMO unless you have a mega star on the roster. I would look to move Holmes and sign Monk first before I negotiate with DDV.
This team still has Terence Davis. Davis busted out at the wrong time considering how funked the roster was but he did bust out. Pretty good too. If the Kings draft a SG, SG is set IMO. Fox/Davion/TD/lottery pick/maybe Lamb brought back on a 1 year. Then you still have Holiday who is going to need to play some SG to get his minutes.

And in a worst case, you might have pull out a horrendous JT style dump of a 1st rounder in desperation to get that space. Worth the gamble? Hmm... wasn't before.
Except DDV is actually good just heading to the prime of his career?

The Kings have to operate on the 1.5 year timeline before the trade deadline that Sabonis heads to UFA. There can't be any question by that point Sabonis will resign in the summer. DDV is your 4th or 5th best player right now, just entering the prime of his career and has a skill-set that is conducive to playing off stars. Kings can't afford in any sense to let him walk.

I like Monk a lot (Def wouldn't mind Monk in a 6th man role), but DDV is better than him, especially on a bad defensive team like we are. Monk is a talented shooter/scorer and secondary playmaker but he's just a flat out bad defensive player.

You only make that type of move if a guy of that caliber wants to sign with you. Vlade made the mistake of making that type of trade without any max FA wanting to sign here. He gambled when he had no business doing so.

Not on this board. They make it sound like signing that Jason Thompson, or Holmes, or whoever is the make or break. And then subsequently watch that contract become an albatross. You re-sign those players when proven to be a major part of the winning ingredient. Prioritizing role players while mired in mediocrity gets you stuck. As the Kings have shown time and again over the last 16 years.
Re-signing DDV isn't going to prevent the Kings from having cap room in the future, nor would it distract from their attempt to break into the playoffs. That's what their lottery pick this year is for. They'll either use that pick to select the next piece of their "core", or they'll package it in a trade for the next piece of their "core". Either way, you don't climb out of mediocrity by bleeding talent, and DiVincenzo is considerably more talented than a whole host of roleplayers the Kings have overpaid in the last decade. And, at 25 years old, he's in perfect alignment with the Kings' current timeline. Monte has decided to roll with Sabonis and Fox, so there's no sense letting a strong complementary piece walk when he's gotta make this work before Sabonis hits free agency.

Oh please. Holmes contract is not an albatross.

Re-signing DDV isn't going to prevent the Kings from having cap room in the future, nor would it distract from their attempt to break into the playoffs. That's what their lottery pick this year is for. They'll either use that pick to select the next piece of their "core", or they'll package it in a trade for the next piece of their "core". Either way, you don't climb out of mediocrity by bleeding talent, and DiVincenzo is considerably more talented than a whole host of roleplayers the Kings have overpaid in the last decade. And, at 25 years old, he's in perfect alignment with the Kings' current timeline. Monte has decided to roll with Sabonis and Fox, so there's no sense letting a strong complementary piece walk when he's gotta make this work before Sabonis hits free agency.
I don't think it's a money issue, but rather a what kind of role is DDV willing to play issue. Keeping talent is important, but pigeon holding a player to a role that he doesn't want to play is going to cause a number of other issues. The Kings can match any offer, but if dude doesn't want to play with an extremely ball dominant lead guard and compete with another ball dominant guard on the roster, do a sign and trade and let it be.

I don't think it's a money issue, but rather a what kind of role is DDV willing to play issue. Keeping talent is important, but pigeon holding a player to a role that he doesn't want to play is going to cause a number of other issues. The Kings can match any offer, but if dude doesn't want to play with an extremely ball dominant lead guard and compete with another ball dominant guard on the roster, do a sign and trade and let it be.
I'm sure DDV knows that he is not a dominant ball handler. He seemed happy in Milwaukee playing with Giannis, Middleton and Jrue.

I don't know of a single team that is just going to let DDV take over the majority of the playmaking.

I'm sure DDV knows that he is not a dominant ball handler. He seemed happy in Milwaukee playing with Giannis, Middleton and Jrue.

I don't know of a single team that is just going to let DDV take over the majority of the playmaking.
What he has shown to be good at may not be what he thinks he needs to do to take that next step in his career. That seems, to me, to be the crux of the issue.

It appears not starting is the issue not playing with Fox according to Ham on the Dlo Podcast. He insinuated he heard this directly from the DDV camp. They were particularly upset that he did not start against Milwaukee after having a really good stat stuffing game the game before.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think the things we really have to keep in mind when discussing this story are:
1- James Ham 'broke' this story
With locker rooms being closed off due to COVID restrictions and just with Ham in general, I don't know how much access Ham actually has to the relevant parties involved beyond just getting a text or DM from a guy's agent or something. Plus, it's Ham.

2- This seems to be more a case of DDV's camp (i.e. agents/managers/etc.) being upset than DDV himself.
DiVincenzo keeps showing up to pressers and talking about what the team should do next season/how he wants to do certain things to fit in better with the roster going forward. Obviously, I don't think any of the media members in on the ZOOM calls has outright asked him whether or not he's unhappy but he hasn't given any major indication of things a la Marvin Bagley.

3- DDV's a restricted free agent so we can just match whatever offer he gets/have him sign a QO anyways.
Regardless of how unhappy Donte's agent is over him not starting, the Kings still pretty much have all the leverage here.