DiVincenzo and his camp unhappy

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
better pay him or he’s gonna be pissed for the next whatever years
it seems it's probably a fair amount of posturing to know not to low ball or he will do a Bogi, but I can't imagine Monte not matching. But if some jerk team throws >20 per on him it really complicates things.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
I don't know where to put this but Ham is saying DDV is mad for not starting and doesn't want to be here. Thanks Gentry.
Skeptical of this because 1. it's Ham and 2. DDV has been pretty vocal about wanting to turn around the ship with his comments. Mentioned when he got traded here how flattering it was that Monte kept up his pursuit of him for over 2 years. And he's smart enough to know Gentry isn't going to coach here net season.

You obviously have to have a breaking point, but the Kings just can't let a guy like him walk with the timeline they're on with Sabonis. Part of proving we're serious about winning to him is keeping guys like DDV around.

it seems it's probably a fair amount of posturing to know not to low ball or he will do a Bogi, but I can't imagine Monte not matching. But if some jerk team throws >20 per on him it really complicates things.
Not a chance anybody gonna offer him 20M per year. Only 5 teams have any real cap space this off-season. I’m guessing 10-12M he’ll be happy but Monte might offer 8M for whatever years

kb02

All-Star
I don't know where to put this but Ham is saying DDV is mad for not starting and doesn't want to be here. Thanks Gentry.
Ham rarely rocks the boat with Kings owners/management, but he’s pretty plugged in with the players, so I tend to believe him. So maybe this is the winner of the question of who can’t Fox play with next?

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Not a chance anybody gonna offer him 20M per year. Only 5 teams have any real cap space this off-season. I’m guessing 10-12M he’ll be happy but Monte might offer 8M for whatever years
I feel like he winds up with 16-18M considering the cap only keeps going up why won't he get similar to Bogi's deal?

I feel like he winds up with 16-18M considering the cap only keeps going up why won't he get similar to Bogi's deal?
True the cap is going up a bunch. 16-18 is pretty steep imo for a guy that averaged 5 points less then Bogi, not long enough track record on 3s, and no idea how to drive to the basket.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Cap space is pretty limited this off-season. Im pretty sure only like 6-7 teams have more than the MLE available.

Perhaps DDV qualifies as one of the top FA's, but I think it's more likely we match a MLE type offer which is around 4/44 I believe.

He has to know that gentry won’t be here next year. Unless he thinks the benching orders came from higher up. If he resigns, I’m thinking he would start next year over TD. But if he leaves, that would leave room for us to go after Monk.

I just don't know what to think of this. DDV has been averaging around 30 minutes a game with the Kings which is more than the 26 he was averaging with the Bucks. He is getting more minutes than Justin Holiday even if he isn't starting. Ham is saying their camp believes the Kings are trying to suppress his value by not starting him but that is an odd stance when you are playing more than the starter.

Here’s Ham on DDV, the upshot of the claim being his camp thinks he’s worth more because he didn’t get enough minutes, which is something perfectly reasonable to bring up in negotiations but I have no idea how that would translate into some huge rift. Absolutely don’t buy it that the FO is trying to screw him when they’ve obviously done a ton in helping rehabilitate his value by getting him out of Milwaukee and back into a featured role where he’s shown improvement coming back from injury.

Here’s Ham on DDV, the upshot of the claim being his camp thinks he’s worth more because he didn’t get enough minutes, which is something perfectly reasonable to bring up in negotiations but I have no idea how that would translate into some huge rift. Absolutely don’t buy it that the FO is trying to screw him when they’ve obviously done a ton in helping rehabilitate his value by getting him out of Milwaukee and back into a featured role where he’s shown improvement coming back from injury.
Yeah, just a hard angle to see. Can def argue he was underplayed his first few weeks, but I thought it was pretty clear we were ramping him up from his injury and didn't want to unleash a big minutes role right away. He's been at 12.4 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 4.2 APG on 30.6 Minutes the last 11 games, while being a feature option next to Mitchell since everyone has been sat. Playing a dude 30 MPG and giving him a big role, while his healthy career has been in the 25-27 range with MIL doesn't add up to us "hiding" him. If anything, we've given him the platform to show he's back to his old self so he can get paid.

Chalking it up to more Ham nonsense that is probably trying to do the DDV agent a favor for whatever reason.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Ham rarely rocks the boat with Kings owners/management, but he’s pretty plugged in with the players, so I tend to believe him. So maybe this is the winner of the question of who can’t Fox play with next?
Fox hasn't even played since March 16th. Donte continuing to come off the bench when it's obvious to basically everyone that he should be the starting SG has everything to do with Alvin Gentry and his mental gymnastics and nothing to do with DeAaron Fox. It's possible that Donte and his agent think Davion Mitchell has jumped him on the depth chart for that starting SG spot next season so he's having second thoughts about locking in a long-term contract here but I don't know how anyone can predict that when we don't even know who will be coaching the team next season.

Here's the story here that I see: we now have 2 of the more prominent Kings-fans-turned-media-personalities in the market using their platforms to say (1) Fox needs to go to make room for Mitchell's ascension as the starting PG and (2) The Kings are to blame for not making Donte feel like the superstar he believes himself to be. These are some ultra petty hot takes. And this is happening while everyone else in our general vicinity record-wise is playing a roster of nothing but G-League filler so they can lose every game. Are we mad that the Kings are the only eliminated team that's not all-out tanking or are we mad that we're not giving our fifth or sixth best player more touches? Why does it always feel like the shots are being fired from inside our own camp?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Is James Ham saying a thing? Golly, the guy who isn't on TV for the Kings anymore is saying a thing that is bad about the Kings? Maybe we should listen to him!

Gee, I mean, it's a real shame he's not on TV for the Kings anymore, because he was so capable of taking up pixels on a television screen in a way that a cardboard cutout of Rupe The Hoop would probably also be capable of taking up pixels on a television screen.

And I'm quite confident that James Ham would never, ever burn bridges and then turn around and hold other people responsible for it, and take revenge in a petty fashion. Why, that would seem totally out of character for him. So when he says something bad about the Kings, who don't put him on television anymore, it's probably completely legitimate and not at all something petty that he made up or is blowing out of proportion. James Ham would never do that. Take it from someone who would know.

If Big Ragu has issues with the Kings they were not obvious to me watching him on the court, interacting with his teammates, or commenting on his approach (e.g., 'its important for this team to build habits'). If this isn't just more noise, I reckon he could figure it out with them. And, in the unlikely event that he can't, he can sign with someone else and watch the offer sheet get matched.

Fox hasn't even played since March 16th. Donte continuing to come off the bench when it's obvious to basically everyone that he should be the starting SG has everything to do with Alvin Gentry and his mental gymnastics and nothing to do with DeAaron Fox. It's possible that Donte and his agent think Davion Mitchell has jumped him on the depth chart for that starting SG spot next season so he's having second thoughts about locking in a long-term contract here but I don't know how anyone can predict that when we don't even know who will be coaching the team next season.

Here's the story here that I see: we now have 2 of the more prominent Kings-fans-turned-media-personalities in the market using their platforms to say (1) Fox needs to go to make room for Mitchell's ascension as the starting PG and (2) The Kings are to blame for not making Donte feel like the superstar he believes himself to be. These are some ultra petty hot takes. And this is happening while everyone else in our general vicinity record-wise is playing a roster of nothing but G-League filler so they can lose every game. Are we mad that the Kings are the only eliminated team that's not all-out tanking or are we mad that we're not giving our fifth or sixth best player more touches? Why does it always feel like the shots are being fired from inside our own camp?
1. Why are people bringing up Gentry? Dude won’t be here next year.
2. Fox has been practicing.
3. DDV, Fox, Davion aren’t dumb. They know how each other plays and they’re on different arcs.
4. Davion is already on record saying he has to work on his off the ball game to play next to Fox.
5. If DDV wants more of the ball, and he knows he won’t get that playing next to Fox, why stay?
6, Give DDV more credit. Stop blaming the coaching or the media.

Fox is a non-elite version of AI and Carmelo. There was only way to build a winning team around AI or Melo. They had to be the star. Everyone else needed to support their game. So it shouldn’t surprise anyone if teammates want to leave, because they don’t want to play the roles that Fox demands.

The sooner the question goes from can Fox play with to can Domas play with, the better.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Chalking it up to more Ham nonsense.
You could have just shortened your post to this. ;)

I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Is James Ham saying a thing? Golly, the guy who isn't on TV for the Kings anymore is saying a thing that is bad about the Kings? Maybe we should listen to him!

Gee, I mean, it's a real shame he's not on TV for the Kings anymore, because he was so capable of taking up pixels on a television screen in a way that a cardboard cutout of Rupe The Hoop would probably also be capable of taking up pixels on a television screen.

And I'm quite confident that James Ham would never, ever burn bridges and then turn around and hold other people responsible for it, and take revenge in a petty fashion. Why, that would seem totally out of character for him. So when he says something bad about the Kings, who don't put him on television anymore, it's probably completely legitimate and not at all something petty that he made up or is blowing out of proportion. James Ham would never do that. Take it from someone who would know.
Ditto. Why anyone puts stock into anything this guy says is beyond me.

1. Why are people bringing up Gentry? Dude won’t be here next year.
2. Fox has been practicing.
3. DDV, Fox, Davion aren’t dumb. They know how each other plays and they’re on different arcs.
4. Davion is already on record saying he has to work on his off the ball game to play next to Fox.
5. If DDV wants more of the ball, and he knows he won’t get that playing next to Fox, why stay?
6, Give DDV more credit. Stop blaming the coaching or the media.

Fox is a non-elite version of AI and Carmelo. There was only way to build a winning team around AI or Melo. They had to be the star. Everyone else needed to support their game. So it shouldn’t surprise anyone if teammates want to leave, because they don’t want to play the roles that Fox demands.

The sooner the question goes from can Fox play with to can Domas play with, the better.
Wow you somehow turned the rumor of a player complaining of not getting enough playing time into fox’s fault? Don’t blame the coach who has the ability to put you in the game or start you. Blame the guy that doesn’t play your position who has been out for weeks. Blame fox cuz it’s possible the don’t practice well together? Yes makes total sense :rolleyes: Name a player that haha left the team because they didn’t want to “play a role that fox demands” if anything , fox had to adjust his role to help others by not starting or playing out of position

Wow you somehow turned the rumor of a player complaining of not getting enough playing time into fox’s fault? Don’t blame the coach who has the ability to put you in the game or start you. Blame the guy that doesn’t play your position who has been out for weeks. Blame fox cuz it’s possible the don’t practice well together? Yes makes total sense :rolleyes: Name a player that haha left the team because they didn’t want to “play a role that fox demands” if anything , fox had to adjust his role to help others by not starting or playing out of position
So DDV’s camp should blame the coach, who won’t be here next year. Unless, of course, they know Gentry is getting the gig.

I find it hard to imagine any team would drop a $20 Million/ year contract on DDV after the year he had. I think he will get somewhere closer to 8-10mil/yr contract, maybe on a 2 or 3 year deal with an opt out, incase he shows out after he gets healthy, and can opt out for a bigger contract.

Regardless, I'm sure Monte will match any offer DDV gets, outside of a ridiculous offer, i.e. $20 mil/yr.

So DDV’s camp should blame the coach, who won’t be here next year. Unless, of course, they know Gentry is getting the gig.
Yes. Gentry directly makes the decision on playing time and who starts. I also wouldn’t be mad if the blame was put on the front office if it was believed they didn’t start him to lower his value. Realistically those are the only 2 options to blame if DDV was upset about his playing time

I think the over and under is around Holmes contract. I’m optimistically thinking DDV will get a smaller contract than Holmes but wouldn’t be surprised if I’m wrong.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
If Donte wants out that might just be Donte saving Monte from himself. The Kings need to be extremely conservative this summer. No Vlade style spending sprees on middling pieces. If the Kings draft a SG sorry, Donte has to go anyway. TD > Donte and Davion is for sure the backup PG now. If they spend MLE money on a 4/5th G and they can't move Holmes, well, good job putting a huge dent in the potential space you need to fully build around Fox/Sabonis the summer after this one.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think the over and under is around Holmes contract. I’m optimistically thinking DDV will get a smaller contract than Holmes but wouldn’t be surprised if I’m wrong.
And Holmes is the exact reason why the Kings need to wish Donte well in his future endeavors if the price point is anything close to that.

If Donte wants out that might just be Donte saving Monte from himself. The Kings need to be extremely conservative this summer. No Vlade style spending sprees on middling pieces. If the Kings draft a SG sorry, Donte has to go anyway. TD > Donte and Davion is for sure the backup PG now. If they spend MLE money on a 4/5th G and they can't move Holmes, well, good job putting a huge dent in the potential space you need to fully build around Fox/Sabonis the summer after this one.
Uhh no. Not even close.

If we were certain rookie TD or the 16-game stretch before he got hurt for the season TD was here to stay, he'd be comparable. That'd actually be a pretty dynamic 2-guard rotation. But DDV has proven long-term elite impact on his resume. TD just doesn't yet.

I think we've given him every opportunity to prove himself, even allowing him to be our primary ball handler for long stretches.

Personally, I'm not a fan of his horrible shot selection and questionable offensive IQ at times. He's not a reliable enough shooter next to Fox and Sabonis. His 3pt % with the Kings has been at 35.8%, but it consisted of nights where he's gone:
  • 1-7
  • 2-6
  • 1-6
  • 2-6
  • 0-2
  • 1-5
  • 2-6
  • 0-3
  • 1-3
  • 0-5
  • 2-7
  • 2-9
  • 2-7
  • 1-3
You can definitely can make the argument that his 3pt % will increase with the starters because he won't be forced to create his own shot. We'll have his RFA rights, but I don't know if we want a disgruntled player on the roster next year. I think he's the best SG on our roster, but that's not saying much.