Did Lebron James Make the Right Decision?

LEbron James Decided on the Miami Heats, Do you think It was the right decision? How far do you think Miami is going next year?

Unless they beef up their front line I don't think they're even going to make it out of the East much less match up against the Lakers . Bosh has more of a small forward game. I think James would have went much farther with the Chicago Bull who have a more complete team, whereas miami just have a skeleton team of wade, james, and bosh

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bosh is no small forward.

But yes I can see all kinds of ways for this to fail.

More importantly from James' perspective I think this has all kinds of potential to damage his legacy. If you are aiming at GOAT status you have to shine brightest, and by mercenarying his way over to a team with two near equals, one of whom is the established hometown superstar...even if he wins the credit will not be hall his. And if he doesn't win it becomes an Alex Rodriguez type embarrassment.

Pat Riley knows the weaknesses and will address them. Maybe Miami does not win the title immediately - even though it's hard to imagine they now won't go deep into the playoffs. Maybe former Heat Shaq or another free agent center signs on or Riley gets more inside beef in a trade for Beasley. Imagine all the basketball talent sitting around all over the planet thinking, wow, I'd play for NBA minimum to be on a team immediately competing for an NBA championship with three YOUNG superstars!

I think he understands this will stick an asterisk next to his legacy for sure. How could it not?

I mighta come out and said it.. or "spun" it anyways. Say winning is more important than a legacy that would likely have been debated anyways. Bit of a stretch.

Still, I totally see this bombing and the three of them becoming serious laughingstock. These guys really need to get a team around them somehow.

Pat Riley knows the weaknesses and will address them. Maybe Miami does not win the title immediately - even though it's hard to imagine they now won't go deep into the playoffs. Maybe former Heat Shaq or another free agent center signs on or Riley gets more inside beef in a trade for Beasley. Imagine all the basketball talent sitting around all over the planet thinking, wow, I'd play for NBA minimum to be on a team immediately competing for an NBA championship with three YOUNG superstars!
Yeah, I could see that too... but the Heat will only have so much cap space left plus what, the MLE? Is there another exception they can use? Wonder how many quality guys they could sign for $1mil a year. :)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If he wins championships, it sounds like he'll be pretty happy with the decision.

That said, he's going to be a player and a team that I will love to see lose. It reminds me of the childhood scene where the three best players in the neighborhood decide that they are going to form their own team and beat the snot out of everybody else in the neighborhood. They could care less whether it's competitive, or "fair", they just want to beat up on the lesser-thans. It's just hard to respect that. I don't hold James in high esteem for his decision. He just wants to buy it. And I really hope that he fails.

Now this is gonna be tough.... well for me anyway. I don't know who I hate more now... Kobe's Lakers or LeBron's Heat?

And who's gonna be Batman? Robin? What about Bosh? Commissioner Gordon? Alfred? Lucius Fox? :p

Bulls and Miami both have meh benches once you get past their starters but I think Bulls have a much more complete team. Bulls would have been smarter but it's hard to argue playing with Bosh and Wade.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Now this is gonna be tough.... well for me anyway. I don't know who I hate more now... Kobe's Lakers or LeBron's Heat?

And who's gonna be Batman? Robin? What about Bosh? Commissioner Gordon? Alfred? Lucius Fox? :p
Still Kobe's Fakers. How could you say otherwise.

Bosh is no small forward.

But yes I can see all kinds of ways for this to fail.

More importantly from James' perspective I think this has all kinds of potential to damage his legacy. If you are aiming at GOAT status you have to shine brightest, and by mercenarying his way over to a team with two near equals, one of whom is the established hometown superstar...even if he wins the credit will not be hall his. And if he doesn't win it becomes an Alex Rodriguez type embarrassment.
A small forward type game - outside shooting, putting the ball on the floor, not much of an inside game, rebounding or defense

Agree with about the potential to be the next Alex Rodriguez. There are going to be a lot of minimum and mle players on that team

This assumes that all three of those guys insist on the max.
You gotta figure they won't... but even then their overall earnings may still surpass what they would have made in NY, Chicago or Cleveland -- all which have state (and maybe municipal) income tax.

I understand that players still have to pay taxes to other states for their away games, but Lebron & Co should still see significant savings on their endorsement income. So even if they take a significant paycut they may end out ahead in the end...

Bricklayer

he's just got a midrange jumpshot, no threes, and he's been a Top 10 rebounder for like 6 years. Not to mention the height of course. If that's a SF then there might be fewer than 20 PFs in the entire league.

Teh defense is always a question, and even moreso in that silly sort of structure where they aren't going to be able to afford a major interior defender to pair with him.

Did LeBron make the right decision?

If his goal is to win rings, then maybe, though I think it is far from certain that the Heat of Wade, LBJ, and Bosh are the best team in the league. I will root against them passionately. Wade and LBJ were two of my favorite players, but after all of this, I hope this team fails miserably. Chicago may have been the best chance to win rings- that at least seemed like a team that could work.

If his goal is to market his "brand," I still don't know that this was the right decision. He might not even have the biggest brand on his own team. New York was the place to go to market a brand.

If the goal is to enter into the GOAT debate, I think it was the wrong decision. Deciding to go and join Wade's team, and join the only player who could possibly pushes him for best in the league automatically disqualifies him from GOAT consideration. If he wanted to be GOAT, he should have stayed in Cleveland and won 5 rings with them...

If he wanted it easy- easy to win games, easy to avoid pressure in a game to game setting- then he made the right call.

Bricklayer

If he wins championships, it sounds like he'll be pretty happy with the decision.

That said, he's going to be a player and a team that I will love to see lose. It reminds me of the childhood scene where the three best players in the neighborhood decide that they are going to form their own team and beat the snot out of everybody else in the neighborhood. They could care less whether it's competitive, or "fair", they just want to beat up on the lesser-thans. It's just hard to respect that. I don't hold James in high esteem for his decision. He just wants to buy it. And I really hope that he fails.
I agree with most of this.

If his goal is to win rings, then maybe, though I think it is far from certain that the Heat of Wade, LBJ, and Bosh are the best team in the league. I will root against them passionately. Wade and LBJ were two of my favorite players, but after all of this, I hope this team fails miserably. Chicago may have been the best chance to win rings- that at least seemed like a team that could work.

If his goal is to market his "brand," I still don't know that this was the right decision. He might not even have the biggest brand on his own team. New York was the place to go to market a brand.

If the goal is to enter into the GOAT debate, I think it was the wrong decision. Deciding to go and join Wade's team, and join the only player who could possibly pushes him for best in the league automatically disqualifies him from GOAT consideration. If he wanted to be GOAT, he should have stayed in Cleveland and won 5 rings with them...

If he wanted it easy- easy to win games, easy to avoid pressure in a game to game setting- then he made the right call.
and this

Lebron James is the league's bad guy now. He just dumped his home-town team on national tv, so that he could ride Dwyane Wade's coattails to a championship. That is cold.

As has already been touched upon, that team is going to need some help up front...so maybe it will be fun to watch them fail.

All that said, I still hate the Fakers the most.

edit: I hope he gets booed every time he goes back to Cleveland. He should never show his face there again.

Last edited:
His motivation was clearly to play with these guys that he's friends with and to win championships. It wasn't trying to be the GOAT or trying to overcome challenges to achieve victory or money or fame or anything like that.

I would have stuck with Cleveland because I value loyalty and I enjoy the challenge of victory more than those other things, but given the alternatives I'd say this makes sense for what he wanted.

i was hoping each FA superstars would sign in different teams but when CBosh sided with Wade i figured Lebron will follow. I imagine what Lebron is thinking, join them or play against them. At least the Heat will deter Lakers from getting their 3-peat next year.

if the Heat win their championship then yes, Lebron made the right decision.

one downside though is that everyone will be playing as Miami Heat in basketball video games. yuck!

well he wouldnt have been the GOAT if he stayed with cleveland and never won a ring at all would he? its logic. if i want to win do i chose the best players on my team or do i chose a bunch mediocre players? it doesnt always have to be "batman and robin", why cant it be a "justice league"? i applaud him for putting he ego aside and admitting he cant do it alone. he needs a team. you dont see team usa only choosing 1 NBA all star and a bunch of D leaguers do u? if you want to win, put together a team with great players period. how can you say that wade and lebron were 2 of your favorite players then turn on them so quickly. your loyalty seems even less than james'. its not that they killed or raped someone. i would be ecstatic if my 2 favorite players decided to join the same team. then i would be able to root for both of them at the same time.

now to the OP, i think he made the right decision in the long run. they might not win the ring next year, cuz im sure they have to build chemistry. (and im sure all the haters will say i told you so if they dont win it) but i believe they can win one within the next 2 or 3 years if they build a "team" around them as the core.

he's just got a midrange jumpshot, no threes, and he's been a Top 10 rebounder for like 6 years. Not to mention the height of course. If that's a SF then there might be fewer than 20 PFs in the entire league.

Teh defense is always a question, and even moreso in that silly sort of structure where they aren't going to be able to afford a major interior defender to pair with him.
Guess you and I differ in our assessment of Bosh. But that's ok. Never ready been too impressed with Bosh. Can still remember that one game he struggled against our STELLAR front line in one game this year. Miami is going to have to somehow find some interior defense and rebounding or teams like Orlando and LA is going to have a party against them

I'd like to know how "not impressed" equates to "not a power forward?"
Didn't mean to say he's not a power forward. He plays ppower forward so obviously he is a power forward. Just saying missing some things you typically see in classic power forwards. But of course he can do some things many power forwards can't do either. We'll see how it works out
It'll be interesting.