Deuce and Morgan interview Scot Pollard

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Don't know if this deserves it's own thread or not, but Scott was on an internet broadcast and had some interesting things to say about the 01/02 team and it's chemistry, Cousins, Surviver, the AAU, and Rick Adelman. It this has been posted already, then a mod can take it down.

At this point, a lot of public "broadcasters" are repeatedly embarrassing themselves re: Cousins, because they keep proving they simply don't listen or watch what he says or does.

Both of the critiques they forced on Cousins in this interview boiled down to :
1) Cousins simply doesn't want to win enough, and cares more about his personal stats (minutes, shots) then the team collective approach.

2) Cousins doesn't have the same mentality as Curry, who impressed Pollard in a recent report by saying he wants his coach to point out what he's doing wrong.
Pollard, Morgan and Deuce obviously missed the report where Demarcus and Rondo went out of their way to get a meeting with Karl to (reportedly) use them as examples when they do something wrong to teach the other players and get better.

How do Deuce and Morgan expect to have any credibility when they conveniently forget anything that doesn't fit their narrative re: Cousins?

Also, this podcast seems like the technical aspects are beyond them. There's audio distortion even on the hosts voices, recorded right in their "studio"!
The number of technical glitches on a simple phonecall causing numerous drop-outs in the interview, combined with the hosts' inability to communicate with their guest, shows serious amateurity.

Wait a minute - of all the players in the NBA they like (and go out of their way to defend), it's Draymond Green?!?
Morgan actually said "He's one of the most passionate players out there on the floor - you can call it angry or whatever some way people want to put it, I know you're all a little dramatic and sensitive..."

They continually prove their bias by defending Draymond for the same characteristics that they demonize Demarcus for.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe I should clarify something. I posted this for what Pollard had to say in the interview. I'm not a fan of Deuce and Morgan, and could care less about what they have to say. And I don't care about their technical difficulties etc. Once Scott was done with his interview, I turned it off. So I have no idea what was said afterwards.

Maybe I should clarify something. I posted this for what Pollard had to say in the interview. I'm not a fan of Deuce and Morgan, and could care less about what they have to say. And I don't care about their technical difficulties etc. Once Scott was done with his interview, I turned it off. So I have no idea what was said afterwards.
So what did he say about Cuz? If you can remember. :p

I like Pollard, always have. Dude has a unique personality. That said, I couldn't care less about what he has to say about Cousins (I didn't listen to it, but I know Scot can be preachy about stuff). Other than being spot on about a couple of fellow Jayhawks in the draft -- which wasn't a big leap at all -- he's not proven to be know all that much about the Kings or the league in general. Furthermore, he was nowhere close to Cousins level of talent and wasn't ever in a position as the top player on any team. What he believes Cousins should do or not do means absolute crap. He has no frame of reference or the first damn clue. If Chris Webber or Vlade Divac have something to say, I'll listen.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Pollard, always have. Dude has a unique personality. That said, I couldn't care less about what he has to say about Cousins (I didn't listen to it, but I know Scot can be preachy about stuff). Other than being spot on about a couple of fellow Jayhawks in the draft -- which wasn't a big leap at all -- he's not proven to be know all that much about the Kings or the league in general. Furthermore, he was nowhere close to Cousins level of talent and wasn't ever in a position as the top player on any team. What he believes Cousins should do or not do means absolute poopoo. He has no frame of reference or the first damn clue. If Chris Webber or Vlade Divac have something to say, I'll listen.
Just my humble opinion, but, if you haven't listened to what he had to say, then don't comment on what you think he might have said. In fact, he didn't say anything bad about Cousins in my opinion. He said that Cuz had everything it took to be a winner, and to make his team better. That he hasn't done that so far, but that there were circumstances involved in why. He also said that time is running out so to speak for Cousins to get it done with the Kings. He implied that it needs to happen this year with a new coach, and if it doesn't, then it might be time for the Kings and Cousins to part ways. He didn't say it exactly that way, but that's the gist of it.

He really didn't spend a lot of time talking about Cousins, and probably wouldn't have even brought it up if he hadn't been asked. I thought the most important part of the conversation was about the old team and what made it such a great team. Pollard said what made that team great, is that they all really loved playing with one another. They were all unselfish and didn't care who scored. They cared about one thing, winning! He said they had such a solid core of players, that when they brought in someone new, he either got on board, or he was gone. No one on the team was a stat hunter, and that they were an amazing defensive team.

Just my humble opinion, but, if you haven't listened to what he had to say, then don't comment on what you think he might have said.
I didn't comment on what he might have said. How could I (as I didn't listen to it)? I was speaking in general terms having heard Pollard speak on numerous topics before. He speaks very strongly, but you can often tell that he isn't all that close to the situation. I feel fairly confident in believing that he isn't very close to Cousins or the situation in general, which is why I didn't bother listening and why I said that I didn't care about what he said -- even if it was positive as you say. Admittedly, I did assume that he was probably critical of Boogie and I just don't care to hear marginal players that don't really cover the league as a profession criticize players that are worlds ahead of where they ever were. Just a pet peeve that I have. I'm much more open to Bobby Jackson's or Doug Christie's opinion as they at least still cover the team on a regular basis and were pretty impactful players during their playing days. If they question or praise someone like Boogie, it's much more credible IMO (even if I don't agree with it).

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I didn't comment on what he might have said. How could I (as I didn't listen to it)? I was speaking in general terms having heard Pollard speak on numerous topics before. He speaks very strongly, but you can often tell that he isn't all that close to the situation. I feel fairly confident in believing that he isn't very close to Cousins or the situation in general, which is why I didn't bother listening and why I said that I didn't care about what he said -- even if it was positive as you say. Admittedly, I did assume that he was probably critical of Boogie and I just don't care to hear marginal players that don't really cover the league as a profession criticize players that are worlds ahead of where they ever were. Just a pet peeve that I have. I'm much more open to Bobby Jackson's or Doug Christie's opinion as they at least still cover the team on a regular basis and were pretty impactful players during their playing days. If they question or praise someone like Boogie, it's much more credible IMO (even if I don't agree with it).
So if your a marginal player, and you've been out of basketball for a while, you should keep you mouth shut because you're either ignorant, or you haven't earned the credentials to comment. OK, I understand now!

So if your a marginal player, and you've been out of basketball for a while, you should keep you mouth shut because you're either ignorant, or you haven't earned the credentials to comment. OK, I understand now!
It amazes me how many "marginal" players have turned into great coaches (in all sports) over the years.

When said player doesn't closely follow the team or players he's commenting on, a big YES for me. But it's quite obvious that you and some others actually give a rats ass about what former players not quite qualified to know what they're talking about have to say. That's great for you. To each their own.

And since you put words in my mouth, I'll clarify to say that I'm not suggesting that they "keep their mouth shut". Everyone has a right to an opinion. Even if it's not well informed. I simply said that I don't care to listen to it. Big difference, my friend.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When said player doesn't closely follow the team or players he's commenting on, a big YES for me. But it's quite obvious that you and some others actually give a rats ass about what former players not quite qualified to know what they're talking about have to say. That's great for you. To each their own.

And since you put words in my mouth, I'll clarify to say that I'm not suggesting that they "keep their mouth shut". Everyone has a right to an opinion. Even if it's not well informed. I simply said that I don't care to listen to it. Big difference, my friend.
How do you know how closely Scot follows the Kings or other players? Amazing to me that you seem so tuned into to all things Pollard.

If you're not interested in what Pollard has to say, why even comment in the thread? Especially since, by your own admission, you don't even know what he had to say in that particular interview?

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Interesting to me how a person who claims he doesn't care what Pollard has to say, has to comment on how he doesn't care what Pollard has to say. I bit of irony there me thinks.

I find it kind of funny that Curry was spoken of as a team player against the example of Cousins when Curry puts up a ton of a-hole threes and has the perma green light to do whatever he wants. He is, however, put in a position to do that by the talent around him.

Cousins is a team player when the team can actually support itself. When Cousins isn't trying to dominate out there, the Kings fall apart. The Kings best stretch last season came with Cousins going all-out and carrying the offense.

You really can't have a team-y concept without the right cogs to make it work. What is true is that if Cuz think you can't handle the level he wants to play at then he doesn't trust you.

Curry bugs me. I don't like his body language at all, and I don't like that he has been such an assassin and his wild-ass 3's always seem to go in. I don't like the snotty little phenom one bit.

But everything I hold against him is settled by knowing he has to sleep at night - all summer long - with that final minute behind the back turnover ... the one that finally and irrevocably threw away the trophy for him and his coach and his teammates and his fans and his family... etched in his brain.

Sleep well Steph, sleep well :)