Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wasn't talking about the number of "live recordings," so much as the definition of "live recording" in and of itself. But these are just concerns. I'm sure our commissioner will have the answer...

:)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I wasn't talking about the number of "live recordings," so much as the definition of "live recording" in and of itself. But these are just concerns. I'm sure our commissioner will have the answer...

:)
I understood, but since he had apparently ruled already about their admissability, I thought maybe he can rule again on a possible limit as well since there is some concern about them being used as a "greatest hits"-type entry. ;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It really is probably easier just to say if it wasn't recorded in a studio, then it is not valid for these purposes. I'm not sure there has ever been a song that was only performed live, with no studio version ever put out (beyond maybe a drug induced 20 minute made up on the spot riff by the Grateful Dead or Steely Dan or somebody).

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I've got quite a few favorite bands that never properly released some of their best stuff outside live albums, which is why I'd like to use them, but I can live with it if I can't. And other bands are purely live beasts where their studio albums just don't do the material justice.

I think its either an all or none thing (excluding bootlegs, of course, rightfully out). May I offer the suggestion that if the album is in an artist's allmusicguide.com entry under the "main albums" portion of their discography it is in?

Since I'm anal retentive enough to be actually compiling a list of potential draftees, I have actually encountered three possibilities for which I need a ruling from our commissioner.

I am trying my hardest to avoid greatest hits compilations, per the rules, but is there an exception for compilations that were released 20-30+ years ago and have become as well known as the original releases? If not, I can figure out which songs I'd need and look up their original albums, but I've already got one artist for whom I haven't been able to find that information -- all the discographies and wiki entries, etc. list primarily other compilations.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
As I stated in the OP, I didn't originate this concept. And, seeing as how I have seen it work in practice with the rules as stated, I don't see any reason not to leave them as is. It may take a little more legwork on my part to determine whether or not a "live" album is actually a collection of live performances, but I don't mind.

Maybe I'm thinking too much like a geek, but the rule as I've seen it in practice seems straightforward enough that I don't understand the source of confusion and/or ambiguity. If it's a "live" album that's actually a collection of songs from different live performances, it's illegal (example: Marvin Gaye - Live at the London Palladium). If it's a live album that was recorded in its entirety from a single performance, it's good to go (example: Phish - Slip Stich and Pass). No "Greatest Hits" set will be accepted, unless it's a live album of the second type. If that's not cut and dry enough, please explain the confusion to me, and I will do my best to provide clarity. G³, trust me, I understand the frustration. In my case, there's a song I desperately want on my list that has only been released twice: once on a soundtrack, and once on a "best of" album.

Spike and tradepeja are in, which brings the count to twelve; four more to go.

If that's not cut and dry enough, please explain the confusion to me, and I will do my best to provide clarity. G³, trust me, I understand the frustration.

Well, in my case, I'll openly admit that three of the albums in question were clear violations of the rule and I was just trying to invent a loophole. The fourth is an album that I still think should count (and by should I mean according to the rules, not just according to my stubbornness), but is currently 8th on my list of alternates, so we'll cross that bridge when/if we get to it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Maybe I'm thinking too much like a geek, but the rule as I've seen it in practice seems straightforward enough that I don't understand the source of confusion and/or ambiguity.
Its not ambiguous or confusing just that it seems the truly seminal live albums usually were recorded over a multi-night stand or during multiple tour stops because the band considered it a major release that needed to stand up against their studio work.

But that's cool, I can live within the rules you've provided.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If you get enugh interested people btw I will bail -- this is really not my scene, and I am here just to pass time. You get someone passionate about albums, they can have my spot + probably do a much better job of it than I will.

If you get enugh interested people btw I will bail -- this is really not my scene, and I am here just to pass time. You get someone passionate about albums, they can have my spot + probably do a much better job of it than I will.
Aw come on, I think we'd all like to see your music taste.

Warhawk

Staff member
If it's a "live" album that's actually a collection of songs from different live performances, it's illegal (example: Marvin Gaye - Live at the London Palladium). If it's a live album that was recorded in its entirety from a single performance, it's good to go (example: Phish - Slip Stich and Pass). No "Greatest Hits" set will be accepted, unless it's a live album of the second type.
No problem - is there an easy way to tell the difference? I have never really looked closely to see if the live albums are indeed compilations or from one night....

Do they usually say somewhere or is there an on-line source for this info?

Edit - never mind - I guess that website you were quoting the two songs from does that. Hadn't looked at your examples.

We still need 4 more. No Takers?

Where are those two guys that are all about music? Padrino and atxrocker? Or HndsmCelt?

Has it been determined how long we will wait yet?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You're in. Three more needed.

I'm not surprised that Padrino hasn't rogered up, since he hasn't been on the board since December, but I expected atxrocker to have the first reply.

Who knows, maybe the thread title isn't explicit enough? Maybe I'll have to do something about that...

Warhawk

Staff member
Well...ok, but only if I get Milli Vanilli and whatever album it was that produced "She Got a Big Ole Butt" as well! :D
And I want the one with William Hung where he sings "She Bangs". ;)

I think I can wait for the second round to pick that up, though, as I really need to nail down "Purple People Eater" in the first....

Status
Not open for further replies.