DeMar DeRozan Rumor

Spurs gave up players and a 2nd round pick to make space. We are not making this happen without a 1st.
What would Chicago get out of this in that scenerio? It wouldn’t make sense for the Spurs to get KVon and a first and Chicago gets nothing. If we were throwing around firsts I’d have to think Chicago would be more than happy to take KVon and draft capital.

What would Chicago get out of this in that scenerio? It wouldn’t make sense for the Spurs to get KVon and a first and Chicago gets nothing. If we were throwing around firsts I’d have to think Chicago would be more than happy to take KVon and draft capital.
Bulls are getting Huerter and we're getting Vuc (j/k). They must command the tank.

I don't think Barnes and Huerter have great value, but that would be a shock if it took a 1st just to dump them. I don't think it's gotten that bad, haha. Davion and Sasha didn't even take a first.

I don’t really like the idea of adding a BI after a DDR signing. We finally found some defense last year, I want to keep Keon in the starting lineup or maybe eventually Carter. We need a low usage all defense guy in with thst group to maintain balance. Plus, how happy is Monk going to be when not only is he not starting but not in the closing lineup?

Monte fully prepared to create the world’s weirdest superteam.
Considering we’d be doing a S&T for DeRozan, it means the contract will be at least 3 years in length which means DeRozan will be under contract through the end of the 2026-27 season. Fox, Murray, and Ellis will all be on new contracts at the start of the 2026-27 season. If you add a resigned Ingram at the max (or near max level), we’d easily be in cap hell.

I have a hard time seeing us add another big salary player (Ingram, Markkanen, Grant, LaVine, Randle, etc.) if we’re going to be bringing DeRozan here for at least 3 years. Guys like Finney-Smith, G. Williams, C. Johnson, D. Hunter, Kuzma, J. Collins, Wiggins, etc. seem like more realistic targets when looking at our payroll.

Considering we’d be doing a S&T for DeRozan, it means the contract will be at least 3 years in length which means DeRozan will be under contract through the end of the 2026-27 season. Fox, Murray, and Ellis will all be on new contracts at the start of the 2026-27 season. If you add a resigned Ingram at the max (or near max level), we’d easily be in cap hell.

I have a hard time seeing us add another big salary player (Ingram, Markkanen, Grant, LaVine, Randle, etc.) if we’re going to be bringing DeRozan here for at least 3 years. Guys like Finney-Smith, G. Williams, C. Johnson, D. Hunter, Kuzma, J. Collins, Wiggins, etc. seem like more realistic targets when looking at our payroll.
Eh, smells like NOP trying to put our "no really, people still like BI!"

This DDR pursuit is going to be our splash. I don't think the math works for another max guy. Like you said, if we do something else, it'll be a rotational/depth guy

SLAB

Hall of Famer
He regressed, sure, but it's weird how he's treated on this forum. He's going to be a stud next to Wemby, if that is indeed who's going out
He regressed the season after single handedly shooting us out of a playoff series win, then had a major shoulder injury. It’s not that strange why he’s been turned into a local punching bad. It’s “what have you done for me recently” and the most recent memories are not good.

There’s probably a useful player in there but we haven’t seen a lot of him in some time.

Yes ... 3 point shooting. #'s are #'s ... Opposing team's strategy will be to sag off DeRozan unlike Barnes/Huerter. Ways to work around it of course, and he's good in midrange but it's for sure not ideal and could definitely stagnate the Kings offense in spurts.
I don't think having 4 guys in the starting lineup that rely heavily on the 3 point shot for their scoring, is the only way to be a good offense.

The "spacing thing" has become over emphasized. How did any NBA offense run well, before the 3 point craze? Think of the early 2000's Kings

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Most of those guys make a lot of sense to me - well, other than Wiggins. I want no part of him at this point. Kuzma would actually be an ideal 6th/7th main pairing with Monk, but I get the real sense he'd pout about not starting.

I don't love Grant Williams just because he's so annoying as a player, but he gives some 4/5 flexibility.

I'm also back & forth on whether I'd rather have Lyles or Barnes as the backup stretch 4. Barnes provides more ability to attack the basket and score in isolation, but Lyles gives you essentially the same shooting but MUCH better rebounding.

I may be alone, but I still like the idea of Barnes & Duarte to Portland for Thybulle and Timelord, since neither of those guys seem to be in the Blazer's plans going forward.

C Sabonis/Williams/Len
PF Murray/Lyles/McDaniels
SF DeRozan/Thybulle/Edwards(?)
SG Ellis/Carter/Jones
PG Fox/Monk

Is a pretty solid and balanced roster that also has some cap flexibility.

Devin Carter is an inch shorter, but otherwise had nearly identical measurements to Bruce Brown in terms of wingspan, standing reach, and weight. But Carter tested out as more athletic across the board. His lane agility, 3/4 sprint, and shuttle run weren't just better, but significantly faster in each case. And he had a 35" standing vertical and 42" max vertical compared to 32.5" and 38" for Brown respectively.

If Bruce Brown can be very effective guarding SFs for stretches (or even the majority of his minutes) I see zero reason why Carter can't also.

I think he's better off guarding 1's and 2's, but I don't think it's ridiculous to think he can't guard up when needed. Side note, Marcus Smart has roughly the same height, wingspan, and standing reach as Carter, but he came into the NBA at 227 lbs to Carter's 193 lbs. So I do think that's a bit of a different story.
Using Smart as the Carter ideal player, Boston got better when they traded him away and got longer.
Well we already have our Carter rotation player bet right? Just my luck he went to our team!

It's not perfect, but maybe we use ball ref position breakdown. I don't think he can guard 3s full time either, but I'm very confident he can flex down at times and certainly be fine in switches
remind me of the bet? I remember having a Kings finish bet.

I don’t really like the idea of adding a BI after a DDR signing. We finally found some defense last year, I want to keep Keon in the starting lineup or maybe eventually Carter. We need a low usage all defense guy in with thst group to maintain balance. Plus, how happy is Monk going to be when not only is he not starting but not in the closing lineup?
That's why I think the Kings should go for Cam Johnson. His salary is manageable and he fits the style because he's not a ball dominant. His stats scream star power. He play defense and his efficiency is off the charge. If Nets is getting rid of Bridges, there is no reason to think they're not trying to get rid of Johnson as well. I prefer him over Lauri tbh. I do not think they're going to ask for excessive assets like the Utah did with Lauri.

We can send Barnes + Duarte + 2 1st rounds for him + 1st swap

He will be the best 3pt shooter on the team and one of the best defensive players on the team.

Most of those guys make a lot of sense to me - well, other than Wiggins. I want no part of him at this point. Kuzma would actually be an ideal 6th/7th main pairing with Monk, but I get the real sense he'd pout about not starting.

I don't love Grant Williams just because he's so annoying as a player, but he gives some 4/5 flexibility.

I'm also back & forth on whether I'd rather have Lyles or Barnes as the backup stretch 4. Barnes provides more ability to attack the basket and score in isolation, but Lyles gives you essentially the same shooting but MUCH better rebounding.

I may be alone, but I still like the idea of Barnes & Duarte to Portland for Thybulle and Timelord, since neither of those guys seem to be in the Blazer's plans going forward.

C Sabonis/Williams/Len
PF Murray/Lyles/McDaniels
SF DeRozan/Thybulle/Edwards(?)
SG Ellis/Carter/Jones
PG Fox/Monk

Is a pretty solid and balanced roster that also has some cap flexibility.
love this approach and really assembles some top shelf defensive talent on the perim and down low with Williams

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using Smart as the Carter ideal player, Boston got better when they traded him away and got longer.
First off, my point was that Carter is closer to Bruce Brown than Marcus Smart.

Secondly, are you actually arguing that trading Smart was purely addition by subtraction?

The Celtics traded Marcus Smart to get Porzingis (at a discounted price no less due to injuries) who let them fully commit to playing five out. Not to mention, they had Jrue Holiday and Derrick White as their defensive guards, and doing a lot of the same things (including guarding up at times) AFTER trading Smart.

That's a far cry from a simplistic view that trading Smart for basically anyone bigger/longer made them better. That trade reshaped their roster.

First off, my point was that Carter is closer to Bruce Brown than Marcus Smart.

Secondly, are you actually arguing that trading Smart was purely addition by subtraction?

The Celtics traded Marcus Smart to get Porzingis (at a discounted price no
Also doesn't measure the "dawg" level in him. Carter wants to mix it up with the bigs and contest shots and go get rebounds. He's got that nastiness that a Smart-esq defender has.

Also love how the conversation changes from wingspan to standing reach because Carter had an extraordinary wingspan. Anything to take a shot at Monte and not admitt being wrong
Just to be clear I am not anti Carter. He is potentially a very good player. Just think he fits poorly on the Kings.