Defensive Big Man Choices

K

KingMilz

I would literally gave up the entire roster to get that Noel kid from Philly next to Cuz.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would literally gave up the entire roster to get that Noel kid from Philly next to Cuz.
After he has played a grand total of one professional game in which he grabbed 2 rebounds and got one block in 26 minutes?

It's not like he's going to be a major offensive player - all he can do is dunk, and he's not going to consistently get easy paths to the rim when the big boys are on the court. He's out there to block shots and rebound. Until he can be outstanding at that against summer league competition, I'd hardly deem him worthy of dumping everything we have to get.

K

KingMilz

After he has played a grand total of one professional game in which he grabbed 2 rebounds and got one block in 26 minutes?

It's not like he's going to be a major offensive player - all he can do is dunk, and he's not going to consistently get easy paths to the rim when the big boys are on the court. He's out there to block shots and rebound. Until he can be outstanding at that against summer league competition, I'd hardly deem him worthy of dumping everything we have to get.
We shall see I just like his motor/athletic ability I really think he's going to be one of those really impactful players. Anyway it's not like we would be dumping anything signifcant anyway. I can really see him being Larry Sanders minus the negitive stuff in a year or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We shall see I just like his motor/athletic ability I really think he's going to be one of those really impactful players. Anyway it's not like we would be dumping anything signifcant anyway. I can really see him being Larry Sanders minus the negitive stuff in a year or two.

Um.. Err... What?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

Noel looks like a stud. His defensive numbers were even more impressive than Anthony Davis' at Kentucky and from what I've seen in summer league, he looks 100% recovered from the injury. In 4 games he's compiled 12 blocks and 9 steals. No he's not a go-to offensive player but 12 points per game on 50% shooting is nothing to scoff at either. It would have been amazing to trade up one spot and get him, but there's nothing we can do about it now.

I really would LOVE to get Josh Smith. I understand he doesnt shoot the long ball well. I really feel (gut feeling) that he wouldnt have a hard time being convinced to scoot into the free throw line and extended territory. The way he runs the floor, passes the ball, and the ability he has to compile highlight reel type blocks...just wow. I really think we could put something special on the floor with that guy on this team. Never even thought about him until the rumor.

Do we still have our bi annual exception? I would try to get Ed Davis with it. However, that might seem like a longshot. We would have to pull off a trade shipping at least one of our PFs out of town to make room for him and to stay under the tax.

I think it makes some sense to have a big man rotation of Cousins, Thompson, and Landry with Evans being the 4th big. Granted Evans was starting last year due to his low usage and rebounding, but the more we 'showcase' Thompson and Landry, the easier it should be to move them. There have been many big men who have gotten much bigger deals than what Landry got last year, so hopefully it will make his deal and Thompson's deal more desirable come this years trade deadline.

The only problem I have with this is it means we would be changing up the roster in the middle of the season yet again, but I think what's important is that our core would have a full offseason together (Cousins, Gay, Stauskas, McLemore, Collison, & McCallum). Dumping say Landry (who's stock should elevate if he can return to form) and McLemore for a shotblocking big hopefully would not impact our team's chemistry all that much.

K

KingMilz

Since Gasol went to the Bulls I wonder if there is any chance Taj could become avaliable, I would try offer them Mclemore and something else most likely JT for him but would prefer to move Landry/Williams before moving JT.

The Bulls are going to really need Gasol offence and he could very well be the go to guy and have plays run for him non-stop with or without Rose. Bulls still need a SG right? To play behind Jimmy who also plays the SF position. Thibbs could see potential in Mclemore as a defender.

The Gasol signing puts Taj in a interesting situation, which could be a good thing for us.

Since Gasol went to the Bulls I wonder if there is any chance Taj could become avaliable, I would try offer them Mclemore and something else most likely JT for him but would prefer to move Landry/Williams before moving JT.

The Bulls are going to really need Gasol offence and he could very well be the go to guy and have plays run for him non-stop with or without Rose. Bulls still need a SG right? To play behind Jimmy who also plays the SF position. Thibbs could see potential in Mclemore as a defender.

The Gasol signing puts Taj in a interesting situation, which could be a good thing for us.
I wonder if the Kings are somewhat reluctant to go after Gibson, considering the comments he made when Jimmer went there? Not a huge deal, but it does give some insight to possible 'impressions' coming in

They amnesteyed Boozer so they could keep Gibson while adding Gasol and Mirotic. I applaud you all for your eternal optimism when it comes to somehow acquiring Gibson, but I've never seen it as a realistic possibility and none of the recent developments have changed that.

They amnesteyed Boozer so they could keep Gibson while adding Gasol and Mirotic. I applaud you all for your eternal optimism when it comes to somehow acquiring Gibson, but I've never seen it as a realistic possibility and none of the recent developments have changed that.
Yeah, I think the only realistic trade option left is Josh Smith. Everybody else would cost too much, and we don't have too many assets as it is. McLemore and D-Will have very little, if any, trade value left at this point.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, I think the only realistic trade option left is Josh Smith. Everybody else would cost too much, and we don't have too many assets as it is. McLemore and D-Will have very little, if any, trade value left at this point.
5 million dollar expiring contracts can be very useful trade tools

When are you guys gonna stop with the Taj Gibson nonsense. The love him Noah loves and even with Gosal he comes off the bench with 30mpg. Gosal/Noah/Gibson is the best front court on the league if they trade him it will be for a very good wingman.

When are you guys gonna stop with the Taj Gibson nonsense. The love him Noah loves and even with Gosal he comes off the bench with 30mpg. Gosal/Noah/Gibson is the best front court on the league if they trade him it will be for a very good wingman.
I seem to remember the Bulls telling Gibson he would start. Then they sign Gasol. I could see Gibson being sore about that. Ben and JT/Landry seems legit to me.

Ed Davis just signed with the Lakers for 2 years/ $2million contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-davis-lakers-2-041158461--nba.html?lbx=412028

The Lakers always seem to get the young guys we all want (i.e. Kendal Marshall, Ed Davis) at a very cheap price. Either PDA is asleep at the wheel or these guys all want to be Lakers. I'm sure the Kings could of beat that contract to Davis.

I sure hope PDA makes some other moves before the season starts.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Ed Davis just signed with the Lakers for 2 years/ $2million contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-davis-lakers-2-041158461--nba.html?lbx=412028

The Lakers always seem to get the young guys we all want (i.e. Kendal Marshall, Ed Davis) at a very cheap price. Either PDA is asleep at the wheel or these guys all want to be Lakers.
Another possibility is that there are two Ed Davises. There's the Ed Davis of Kings fans imaginations, who is a monster defender and shotblocker who would make any team better, and there's the Ed Davis of reality, who is barely clinging to a spot in the league and can't find anybody to pay him more than $1M per year.

Another possibility is that there are two Ed Davises. There's the Ed Davis of Kings fans imaginations, who is a monster defender and shotblocker who would make any team better, and there's the Ed Davis of reality, who is barely clinging to a spot in the league and can't find anybody to pay him more than $1M per year.
For $1 million, I think Davis is worth a shot as a low risk-high reward player.

Better than paying Landry $6 million a year. Davis was playing behind 2 front court all-stars in Zach Randolf and Marc Gasol. He can be a very serviceable 3rd or 4th big and for $1 million, he would be a bargain.

For $1 million, I think Davis is worth a shot as a low risk-high reward player.

Better than paying Landry $6 million a year. Davis was playing behind 2 front court all-stars in Zach Randolf and Marc Gasol. He can be a very serviceable 3rd or 4th big and for $1 million, he would be a bargain.
I agree. Small market teams need to take the risk on guys like Ed Davis. Id much rather spend 2mil/2years with team option on an unknown with potential vs 6 mil/4 years on a player we already had a few years ago who is known not to be the defensive big we need. I guess the front office didn't learn from the salmons fiasco.

davis probably looked at our roster and said hell ****ing no theres like 20 power forwards already there.
True. Can't deny that.

But, the Lakers also have two Power Forwards in Jordan Hill ($9mil/yr) and Julius Randal (prized rookie) that will sure get the first shot at minutes in front of Davis again. Boy, Davis's agent sure knows how to pick a team to showcase his clients, doesn't he???

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
True. Can't deny that.

But, the Lakers also have two Power Forwards in Jordan Hill ($9mil/yr) and Julius Randal (prized rookie) that will sure get the first shot at minutes in front of Davis again. Boy, Davis's agent sure knows how to pick a team to showcase his clients, doesn't he???
Though for all we know the Lakers were the only team to offer him a contract.

Though for all we know the Lakers were the only team to offer him a contract.
if so, our front office who makes all this noise about defense and shot blocking.. didn't see him as an adequate defensive presence. ah of course, we have the defensive stalwart already on our bench! landry.

I agree. Small market teams need to take the risk on guys like Ed Davis. Id much rather spend 2mil/2years with team option on an unknown with potential vs 6 mil/4 years on a player we already had a few years ago who is known not to be the defensive big we need. I guess the front office didn't learn from the salmons fiasco.
It's even sadder htan that. It's Ed Davis 2 mil/2years vs Carl Landry 27 mil/4 years.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
if so, our front office who makes all this noise about defense and shot blocking.. didn't see him as an adequate defensive presence.
Given the apparent level of interest in Davis, neither did 28 other front offices. And the one that did take a shot is basically paying him the minimum.

So who has the value of Ed Davis wrong? Every front office in the NBA, or a couple of fans on a web forum?