De’Aaron Fox

What did Mike Brown say that offended him? From what I remember he got asked why the “leaders” weren’t speaking to the media, and all he said was he never knows who speaks after the game and that Fox, Sabonis and the whole team should be held accountable.
May have been something behind the scenes of what we see. I can't imagine having Keon Ellis go to the podium to face the media after that blowout loss, was just ignored by everyone in the organization.....or maybe nobody cared and nothing was said about it, but I doubt it. It wasn't a good look

The speculation is that he didn't like being criticized by Mike Brown for not talking to the media, after the most recent home blow out loss to New Orleans. That was when they sent Keon Ellis to the post game podium to answer questions, as a two way contract player who hadn't played hardly at all.
It lines up. I think it was exactly 16 days from the Pelicans game and the Hawks game. Which is probably where the speculation comes from rather than any inside source knowing that Fox is grumbling about that.

I don’t remember Brown criticizing him or any of the core guys for that though. That is Ham’s thing. I happen to agree with Ham that it’s a bad look but Brown just said he doesn’t control who goes to the media after a game and mostly punted that.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
May have been something behind the scenes of what we see. I can't imagine having Keon Ellis go to the podium to face the media after that blowout loss, was just ignored by everyone in the organization.....or maybe nobody cared and nothing was said about it, but I doubt it. It wasn't a good look
You know what I think is a bad look? The NBA forcing players who have just lost a game to do media availability. Players should be exempt from media availability after losses (can appear optionally), and the coaching staff should be exempt from media availability after losses of 15+ points. Anything else is insult to injury.

he talked today at practice. Jason Anderson tried to pry it out of him but he says there is nothing to talk about. I personally think it’s just frustration with the losses/personal stuff. His tone isn’t great, I’ll admit, reminds me of pre-Sabonis trade. Most of us have experienced depression, could be something along those lines too.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
tbh it was all a bunch of twitter outrage. I don't watch the post games after a blow out, I go find some way to try to salvage any fun left in the evening.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
You know what I think is a bad look? The NBA forcing players who have just lost a game to do media availability. Players should be exempt from media availability after losses (can appear optionally), and the coaching staff should be exempt from media availability after losses of 15+ points. Anything else is insult to injury.
doesn't help that we have a lot of antagonistic reporters fishing for content. I know Sacramento isn't a "tough" market but when guys like Ham and Anderson won't let stuff lie they probably do more damage than serious reporters like those in the big markets.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Honestly this sorta reminds of when Keegan was playing bad at the start of last season and Ham and the Hamsters all got angry and hounded people for an explanation to the point that they forced Keegan's dad to go public with the fact that his grandma had a stroke AT HIS GAME and we all felt very good about forcing a family to reveal personal tragedy like that.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Honestly this sorta reminds of when Keegan was playing bad at the start of last season and Ham and the Hamsters all got angry and hounded people for an explanation to the point that they forced Keegan's dad to go public with the fact that his grandma had a stroke AT HIS GAME and we all felt very good about forcing a family to reveal personal tragedy like that.
Or just the whole "how does it make you feel that Brown is underutilizing you, must be frustrating to be buried in the corner" that he'd ask all the time. Dude, if you want to know why Monte doesn't feed you content look at your content.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I could care less if Fox talks after the games……never have really cared for the post game pressers. Ham is terrible. I dislike that he’s on with DLo. I don’t really give much or any thought to any info he has with the Kings because I don’t trust him. Today he was saying that if Monk left in free agency that it would be easier to fill the SG position than other positions……this is just dumb because it’s not about positions it’s about the player and what he brings. Players that score like Monk are not that easy to replace. What he brings to Sac with his pick and roll game is not that easy to replace. His personality is also important. It would be a big loss. But back to Ham. He’s a douche

Saw this posted elsewhere:

Sam Amick said he's not going to share everything publicly, but does go onto say that it's a weird situation because De'Aaron was upset that he took criticism for not being at the podium after the Pelicans blowout. Amick highlights that the Sac Bee recently reported that Fox wasn't asked to talk because he had a bad game, and as a result, they decided to give him a night off. Amick goes onto call it a "bad set of circumstances to where he just went dark."

Not sure how I feel about this...

Our media is soft compared to most. Fox is a superstar who scored 3pts in a 33pt blow-out. In his place, they sent Keon Ellis to the podium. Up until that game, Ellis was completely out of the rotation and was only subbed in because it was a blow-out. Ellis played a grand total of 12minutes and was sent up to face the media. They made Ellis the fall guy. I think it was fair for Ham to ask why the leaders weren't out there instead.

Something is off with the team this year.

gunks

Hall of Famer

Sam Amick said he's not going to share everything publicly, but does go onto say that it's a weird situation because De'Aaron was upset that he took criticism for not being at the podium after the Pelicans blowout. Amick highlights that the Sac Bee recently reported that Fox wasn't asked to talk because he had a bad game, and as a result, they decided to give him a night off. Amick goes onto call it a "bad set of circumstances to where he just went dark."

Our media is soft compared to most. Fox is a superstar who scored 3pts in a 33pt blow-out. In his place, they sent Keon Ellis to the podium. Up until that game, Ellis was completely out of the rotation and was only subbed in because it was a blow-out. Ellis played a grand total of 12minutes and was sent up to face the media. They made Ellis the fall guy. I think it was fair for Ham to ask why the leaders weren't out there instead.

It's gonna be a real bummer if that's the reason.

Fox never struck me as a diva type though, so hopefully this is BS.

dude12

Hall of Famer
So, let me get this right. If Fox didn’t want to go to the podium or got bent out of shape because of all the dumb crape brought up by our dumb reporters(Ham, J Anderson), he’s soft? LOLOL.
This guy has carried this franchise for awhile now, played his ass off, by all accounts is a good guy who isn’t involved in anything nefarious, brought his personal trainer or shooting coach to his honeymoon because he and his wife knew how important it was, spent a Summer getting Keegan Murray ready and better, on and on…..this guy is soft?

It’s an embarrassing take by some.

The reasoning being given for not speaking to the media for a couple weeks is a…reason.
However, that reason doesn’t make sense as to why he’s been playing so poorly over that stretch of time.

If you’re upset that you got called out for not going to the podium after a blowout loss, I can understand the logic as to why one would maybe go dark from the media for awhile, but for the reaction to also include poor play on the court with a lackluster effort…it just doesn’t make sense.

I suspect it’s something else going on (or there’s more to the explanation that has been given thus far).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

with great expectations comes great criticism. do we remember Mike talking about championship aspirations after only one year? basketball isn't only physical, if you're mental training is off then all the talent and genetics will do a player no good in the long term

So, let me get this right. If Fox didn’t want to go to the podium or got bent out of shape because of all the dumb crape brought up by our dumb reporters(Ham, J Anderson), he’s soft? LOLOL.
This guy has carried this franchise for awhile now, played his ass off, by all accounts is a good guy who isn’t involved in anything nefarious, brought his personal trainer or shooting coach to his honeymoon because he and his wife knew how important it was, spent a Summer getting Keegan Murray ready and better, on and on…..this guy is soft?

It’s an embarrassing take by some.
Soft for getting butthurt over the media asking where the leaders were when he wasn’t specifically called out. Jason’s cryptic tweet makes me think it could be tied into Brown’s response during the press conference.

Doesn’t help that Fox has been slumping big time and not giving a lot of effort

below is my post from last week (cut/paste from page 3)...

NOBODY thinks that this is about the money (and fox's potential future in sac)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i understand that there were previous "fox" threads, so, maybe this was addressed in the offseason (when it happened)

but, isn't anyone worried that fox is pricing himself out of sacramento?.

i refer to the team's offer in the offseason to add two more years to his deal (getting it matched up with sabonis) at a little over $50 million per year.

fox declined the (what i consider a "fair" number) offer choosing to bet on himself - if he again makes an all-nba team, he becomes eligible for $60 million plus for four years. (super max deal, similar to what bradley beal .has - which led to his trade).

initially, it seemed like a good bet, by fox since ja would not play enough games to qualify.

but looking at his recent play, i think he is going to lose that bet.

and how does he respond?

maybe by playing out his current contract and signing with the other klutch players on the lakers?

monte may be forced to trade him (although this time, he'll get value).

it really depends on whether keegan is a major player on this team (or not).

R

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
As other posters have pointed out, Fox has clutched his right arm/shoulder in pain during several games this month.
I'd also seen reports of him coughing in early January right at the height of flu season in addition to the arm/shoulder. You can go but not be 100% with these things. I'm not a gambler so I'm glad the Kings play it coy reporting minor injuries or waiting until the last minute to announce a player is returning or unexpectedly out.

I remember Ham having a 3 month vendetta all preseason last year because Monte didn't set up a nice enough green room with a spread and fast enough wifi so they could run a show out of it. We should not be allowing these petty children to disrupt the club. If we had national level writers which we haven't had since the days of Mark Kreidler we could put up with this nonsense. Ham is a charity case. Tired of the BS.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
maybe by playing out his current contract and signing with the other klutch players on the lakers?

This is a master class in advanced doomerism.

Instead of taking Guaranteed Fortune 1.0, Fox bet on himself - NOT his employer, but HIMSELF - in the hopes that he could instead land Guaranteed Fortune 1.2. It looks like that bet is not going to pay off. But instead of simply taking Guaranteed Fortune 1.0, which will still be on the table, he's going to instead spite his employer who is prohibited by rule from giving him Guaranteed Fortune 1.2, and instead of accepting Guaranteed Fortune 1.0 he's going to leave the city he has always claimed vociferously to love and an organization that has never done bad by him in order to accept Guaranteed Fortune 0.7 in another city.

It makes no sense at all. Especially when the primary evidence for the entire doom spiral is that Fox didn't want to participate in media availability after having a bad game in a bad loss. I'm a pretty amenable guy, and I wouldn't want to talk to the media after a disappointing combination personal-and-team stinkburger. I'd be grumpy and want to go home. But Fox does a completely anticipatable thing and all of a sudden these nuclear abandonment issues in the fanbase come out.

Absolutely silly stuff here.

dude12

Hall of Famer
below is my post from last week (cut/paste from page 3)...

NOBODY thinks that this is about the money (and fox's potential future in sac)?

i understand that there were previous "fox" threads, so, maybe this was addressed in the offseason (when it happened)

but, isn't anyone worried that fox is pricing himself out of sacramento?.

i refer to the team's offer in the offseason to add two more years to his deal (getting it matched up with sabonis) at a little over $50 million per year.

fox declined the (what i consider a "fair" number) offer choosing to bet on himself - if he again makes an all-nba team, he becomes eligible for $60 million plus for four years. (super max deal, similar to what bradley beal .has - which led to his trade).

initially, it seemed like a good bet, by fox since ja would not play enough games to qualify.

but looking at his recent play, i think he is going to lose that bet.

and how does he respond?

it really depends on whether keegan is a major player on this team (or not).

R

wut

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm so sick of this Fox crap. All this speculation on Fox's funk. WHY? Because Fox is in his hidey-hole, that's why! It's BS. Fox could immediately stop all this silliness by standing up and being a man and say what's on his mind. Couldn't he??! Is he a child that has to be coddled and protected? Oh, poor Fox. He's so vilified and criticized.:rolleyes: Oh, the pain he must be experiencing. BULL ****! Cry me a river. First, it was the "he's injured" excuse. It doesn't matter that he can move with alacrity on the floor, raise his hands easily above his head, and have nobody but nobody say that he was injured. Then there was the "he's tired" excuse, which is belied by his last performance after extended vaca. Then it's the childcare excuse, which is total crap. The guy could easily afford an 8-bedroom house with a personal chef, two nannies, and a house keeper to take care of every imaginable need. Then it's the "there must be a personal issue." That's the last impenetrable excuse. Oh, let's all speculate about Fox and his personal problems. F that. The guy needs to fricken grow up. If this personal problem spontaneously came after the Memphis game on December 31, then man-up and let the media know what it is. Talk about self-promoting self-creating drama. This is just too much. Instead of tuning into Kings' basketball games, let's all tune in to the Fox Soap Opera - produced, written, directed and acted by De'Aaron Fox.