Darius or Kenny?

Entity

Hall of Famer
It may have been talked about in another thread i am not sure. I wasn't going to try and find it amongst all the jibber jabber. Who do you guys think will start at PF for the rest of the season Darius or Kenny Thomas. I vote for Darius. He has proven he can score and rebound and lately he has been doing quite well in the assist category. Tonight against Dallas i saw some very strong moves to the basket, and that was Webbers biggest knock since the injury.

So who will it be Darius or Kenny?

R

romanianusa

To tell you the true, I much rather have Darius than Webber in there. Seriously, Webber makes the team look bad.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Darius should get the start untill or unless Kenny can take it away from him. Not only beceause he knows the system, but beceause he earned it with great paly tonight, and consistant good play all year.

Entity

Hall of Famer
romanianusa said:
To tell you the true, I much rather have Darius than Webber in there. Seriously, Webber makes the team look bad.
This was not meant to be about Webber. Take that Bull **** somwhere else.

I'm going to wait a cuple games to see how Kenny plays in this system, but I am really impressed with Darius... That DUNK he threw down was SICK... I love Darius aggresiveness and the defence he brings, he contested every shot he could to the best of his ability this game, he ran the floor both ways as hard as he could every trip down the floor... The thing I like most about him is he dosen't demand the ball like Webber, he lets the game come to him, I could see him averaging, 15-18 points, 10 rebs, 2-3 asts a game. But I wanna see what Kenny brings to the table first, before I choose who should be a definite starter.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I actually think in the end its going to end up being a platoon. If anybody really seizes the position its likely to be Thomas, but Darius served notice tonight and I would not be at all surprised to see a 28-20 split or some such in minutes (actually that's not Rick's style, but just kind of makes sense given the players involved).

Bricklayer said:
I actually think in the end its going to end up being a platoon. If anybody really seizes the position its likely to be Thomas, but Darius served notice tonight and I would not be at all surprised to see a 28-20 split or some such in minutes (actually that's not Rick's style, but just kind of makes sense given the players involved).
Thats about what I was thinking. But if they both give equal effort I think we will be pretty well off.

I don't think Darius has ever played like he did tonight. He seen a window were he could be a legit starter and tried to take it as you said.

I was just thinking the same thing, and was going to start a post on the potential Kings starting lineup.

I THINK THAT IT SHOULD BE DARIUS' JOB TO LOSE. He was very impressive tonight. What I really love about the trade is the flexibility it brings the Kings.

As we saw in the second quarter, Miller can swing to PF if Ostertag plays. Or Skinner can play Center, with Miller also switching over.

Or we can go small: A potential rotation could include 6'9" Skinner at center, Thomas at PF, Corliss at SF

I'm assuming that KT is a PF who can play some SF.

I'd have my frontcourt rotation look like this:

Miller C
Songalia PF
Peja SF

Use Corliss as a 6th man. He can substitute for both Darius and Peja. Peja can even switch to the PF position in certain situations when Corliss comes in.

Ostertag might play more under this scenario, unless he loses PT to Skinner. Against teams with size, Ostertag should come off the bench. Against quicker, more athletic teams, Skinner is your backup C.

It's tough for me to envision quality PT for both KT and Corliss. Peja averages 38 min per game, leaving only 10 minutes for his sub. Assuming that Darius starts and plays about 30 min per game, that leaves an extra 18 minutes for his sub. Therefore, combined, there might be only 28 minutes per game off the bench to split for both these players. And some of Darius' PF minutes might be taken by either Ostertag or Skinner, by sliding Brad Miller to the PF slot.

THIS FRONTCOURT DEPTH IS SOMETHING MANY OTHER TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE WOULD KILL FOR!! It almost reminds me of the time two years ago when we had Peja, Hedo, and Jim Jackson at the SF position.

I was hoping that we might make another minor trade for backcourt help. It's getting kind of thin back there. Any chance that Gary Payton signs with us? (my guess: probably not).

What do you think?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Another factor will be how Adelman/Petrie view Thomas and Darius. I suspect Thoma is viewed as a stop gap and trade material, while Darisu has been a project that is begining to pay off. If that is true it will effect their play and min.

If Darius plays the way he did tonight we will be just fine. Of course I think Kenny Thomas could get it, despite what is said about the guy, he ain't half bad.

Darius should have it for now, but Kenny is the better player and should eventually take over the spot.
I have a feeling that's not how Coach will handle it. I think he'll stick with Darius all the way through.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I would caution folks who are shure that Kenny is the better palyer to NOT mistake flash for substance. I am more than willing to see how he plays in a system that shares the ball which will be new to him after palying with Francis and AI, but at present I am unconvinced that he is a better all arorund and or team player than Darius is now. I also suspect given Darius's learning curve he has far greater potential than Thomas.

The true bright spot of the evening, Darius put up a very efficient 23 pts., 12 rebounds on 10-14 shooting. This is the guy who should and will get every chance to replace Webber, for a least this season. King's need is obvious, a shot blocking, rebounding interior defender, especially with the King's general lack of on the ball guard defense. Disapointed that Webb was traded before I get to see my first King's game in D.C. at the MCI Center this sunday. I'm a Kings fan, located in Richmond, Va., since first week of 99' strike season, loved the ball movement, up tempo, full court style of play. I came out of 7-8 year NBA hibernation, not a Jordan fan, nor a fan of those 67-65 Knicks- Heat gum shoe games of that era. Sad, but the Webber trade had to be made, Petrie will keep the team competive, while working to address the team's off discussed weaknesses, always with his eye on the ultimate prize. At any rate, my friend, a Wizzards fan and I have great seats, Row C behind the King's bench for for the game this sunday, perhaps they will close out a tight game for a change. They certainly are due.

bibbyweb said:
Thats beautiful, so Darius is better than Webber. Man, you do know ur stuff:rolleyes:
I dont want to put words in his mouth but I am assuming he like I thought that Darius stepped up his game tonight.

Darius vs Webber no comparison. Still one has to admit Darius was a stud tonight

HndsmCelt said:
Darius should get the start untill or unless Kenny can take it away from him. Not only beceause he knows the system, but beceause he earned it with great paly tonight, and consistant good play all year.
mmm i agree

romanianusa said:
Don't really get the point of this post.

Chris Webber is no longer a King. Don't really see how a Sixer can make the Kings look bad.

In other words, let it go. You're anti-Webber rants have no meaning.

BigWaxer said:
Darius played more then great tonight. Never watched Kenny play so let see what happens
23 and 12......very nice, he also had 6 offensive rebounds. I think Darius gets the start but he has a tendency to get into foul trouble. By the way....did Adelman only use 5 guys in the second half??? Could be the reason why the shots weren't going down.

barreav said:
The true bright spot of the evening, Darius put up a very efficient 23 pts., 12 rebounds on 10-14 shooting. This is the guy who should and will get every chance to replace Webber, for a least this season. King's need is obvious, a shot blocking, rebounding interior defender, especially with the King's general lack of on the ball guard defense. Disapointed that Webb was traded before I get to see my first King's game in D.C. at the MCI Center this sunday. I'm a Kings fan, located in Richmond, Va., since first week of 99' strike season, loved the ball movement, up tempo, full court style of play. I came out of 7-8 year NBA hibernation, not a Jordan fan, nor a fan of those 67-65 Knicks- Heat gum shoe games of that era. Sad, but the Webber trade had to be made, Petrie will keep the team competive, while working to address the team's off discussed weaknesses, always with his eye on the ultimate prize. At any rate, my friend, a Wizzards fan and I have great seats, Row C behind the King's bench for for the game this sunday, perhaps they will close out a tight game for a change. They certainly are due.

hey i have tickets to that game right behind the bench to...

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Darius played last year subbing for CWebb like he did last night. He is a very good journeyman PF and seems to have better defense than CWebb ever did. He played Nowitzski tight and held his own. Thomas has to win his minutes but I can see both on the court at the same time against the athletic teams.

Last edited:
I want to see Darius start. If Kenny proves to be better in some way, in time he can start, but only once he knows the system. As well as Darius plays there is no reason to Rush it. That will be a good power forward combo in respect to decent to good scoring, rebounding. defense and hustle.

I think Darius should start until if and when Thomas beats him out in practice (yeah, I'm old shool, practice effort and performance should determine starters) simply because Darius knows our system and Thomas will take a while to be integrated into it.