Current Kings roster and holes to fill

I'm even fine with a Hassan one year deal if only because I think he'll seriously help us lose some games.
Flip him and Buddy at the deadline and Walton at the end of the year after they've gone full scorched earth on this franchise.

Some culture naysayers would probably be mad but as we saw a complete focus on culture wind up a total failure and numerous egregious tankjobs and toxic locker rooms recover even as quick as a year later.

Sign no one. Tank.
I'm ok with signing guys that still have a glimmer of hope to develop because we either get a good player in the future out of it or we continue to tank if they don't develop. No need to sign guys like Whiteside who actually is a net positive player, despite all the crap talking people are talking about him. He would either be the 2nd or 3rd best player on the team, depending on how Hield is used.

Last edited:
RHJ is the best steal left on the FA market and with most teams out of money; might be able to find great value on him. Type of role guy this team will want when we're good again. Fits the age curve well; he's an awesome defender than can defend the 3/4 and some 5's. Underrated passer too and can actually get to the rim off the bounce and draws a lot of fouls for a role player. His main issue is shooting, but the team is well-equipped to handle it by either using him with potential lineups like Fox/Buddy/RHJ/Barnes/Bagley.

He doesn't help with the "TANK SZN", but player archetypes like him are rarely available in FA; much less one we can get for a cheap cost. He's also someone who can fill a minutes role for us to trade Bjelica and Holmes at the deadline.

RHJ is the best steal left on the FA market and with most teams out of money; might be able to find great value on him. Type of role guy this team will want when we're good again. Fits the age curve well; he's an awesome defender than can defend the 3/4 and some 5's. Underrated passer too and can actually get to the rim off the bounce and draws a lot of fouls for a role player. His main issue is shooting, but the team is well-equipped to handle it by either using him with potential lineups like Fox/Buddy/RHJ/Barnes/Bagley.

He doesn't help with the "TANK SZN", but player archetypes like him are rarely available in FA; much less one we can get for a cheap cost. He's also someone who can fill a minutes role for us to trade Bjelica and Holmes at the deadline.
Right. I don’t think we should assume that McNair’s approach is necessarily “tank season.” Teams in the Kings position can also find success with identifying undervalued assets, rehabbing their value, and then selling high (see Paul, Chris). Depending on the price, this could be what’s behind the Whiteside play.

In addition, finding guys who are still young who may have untapped potential is another angle. I like the RHJ idea for this reason, as well as his ability to take the place of the older veterans who should be sold for picks or other long term assets.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

I try to not focus on my ex-Zona players but I loved Rondae as a 'cat and think he does a lot of dirty work that would be valuable. If he can be signed cheap, he's one guy I might give an extra year to. BUT, I don't want him eating up time that we could have Fox-Buddy-Haliburton on court together.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The ultimate irony of the whole Mcnair pressing the tank button discussion is that in one week of just shedding vets and drafting young 3-and-D kids and bringing in Hassan, Monte has probably accidentally created a far more balanced roster than we had last year.

Hassan/Holmes <--If Hassan keeps his head on straight enough, this is legitimately a really good center rotation.
Bagley/Bjeli/Metu <-- Spacing gets wonky with Bagley starting but if he's healthy, we finally have a forward who can keep up with De'Aaron on the break. Also Bjeli is an elite floor spacer. Metu is another high energy type.
Barnes/DQJ/Woodard <--Solid wing defender, capable outlet option and shooter, plus two physically monstrous defensive prospects.
Buddy/Haliburton/Ramsey <--With Fox and Bagley probably demanding lots of the on-ball touches, Buddy can get back to what he does best: Jacking up threes at a ridiculous rate. Haliburton will come out of the gates and probably run the second unit better than Buddy or Bogi did last year. Ramsey could be awesome in two or three years.
Fox/CoJo/Guy <--If Bubble Fox is normal Fox now, look out. CoJo might actually look good next to Haliburton since Tyrese can run the offense better than he can.

Depth is an issue but had the entire western conference aside from OKC not decided this was the year to go for the chip, you could squint and see a possible 8th seed (remember top ten teams in the conference are in the postseason this year). Not that I necessarily want that this year.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Assuming either Metu makes the roster or is replaced by another player on a one year deal, the Kings will have eight players on ending deals:

Joseph*
James*
Jeffries
Bjelica
Parker
Holmes
Whiteside
Metu

*James is signed for next year but his salary is unguaranteed. Joseph has a partial guarantee of $2.4M of the $12.6M.

That's around $37M in ending contracts. None appear to have a future with the Kings beyond maybe Jeffries as a 10th man/energy guy. I wouldn't mind re-signing Holmes but I think he's outperformed his contract and will fetch a bigger deal in FA.

Which is why I'd fully expect the Kings to be very active at the trading deadline. They can look for deals to move Buddy and Barnes and flip ending contracts either to teams looking for help for a playoff push (Nemanja, Hassan, Richaun?) or package them to absorb some other teams bad contracts in exchange for draft picks.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Assuming either Metu makes the roster or is replaced by another player on a one year deal, the Kings will have eight players on ending deals:

Joseph*
James*
Jeffries
Bjelica
Parker
Holmes
Whiteside
Metu

*James is signed for next year but his salary is unguaranteed. Joseph has a partial guarantee of $2.4M of the $12.6M.

That's around $37M in ending contracts. None appear to have a future with the Kings beyond maybe Jeffries as a 10th man/energy guy. I wouldn't mind re-signing Holmes but I think he's outperformed his contract and will fetch a bigger deal in FA.

Which is why I'd fully expect the Kings to be very active at the trading deadline. They can look for deals to move Buddy and Barnes and flip ending contracts either to teams looking for help for a playoff push (Nemanja, Hassan, Richaun?) or package them to absorb some other teams bad contracts in exchange for draft picks.
I would be shocked if Holmes is not dealt at some point. Shocked may be to strong of a word but Holmes has very good value on the contract and his performance.

I would be shocked if Holmes is not dealt at some point. Shocked may be to strong of a word but Holmes has very good value on the contract and his performance.
Yeah same. As much as I love the guy; you can get real value from him. Kings can essentially super boost a contenders back-up bigs between Whiteside/Bjelica/Holmes for a really cheap cost. Or attach Buddy to one of them for a team trying to go for it.

Whiteside isn't going to bring us anything of value in a trade.

Why would a team give up a real asset for a guy they could have signed him for the minimum? Everyone knows what he brings to a team. If a team wanted him, they would have just signed him and allowed him to help them win all year. If he is dealt at the deadline, it's probably not going to be for anything other than a 2nd round pick or filler.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whiteside isn't going to bring us anything of value in a trade.

Why would a team give up a real asset for a guy they could have signed him for the minimum? Everyone knows what he brings to a team. If a team wanted him, they would have just signed him and allowed him to help them win all year. If he is dealt at the deadline, it's probably not going to be for anything other than a 2nd round pick or filler.
He's an expiring contract. That's his main value in a potential deal.

But he's also potentially a fill in for a playoff team that loses their rim protector to injury.

Even if he isn't dealt at all, it's a low risk signing that doesn't impact future flexibility.

Fox,Cojo,Ramsey
Buddy,Haliburton,James
Barnes,Woodard,Jeffries
Bagley,Beli,Parker
Holmes,Whiteside

thats 14 signed, If they cut James would leave 13
Two more holes to fill
Meto in Camp, add another Big to camp
to compete with Meto for 3rd C
Add another SG to camp,to compete with James for 3rd SG
Thats 18 for Camp
keep an eye on waiver wire and during Camp
for a 3rd SG,C if better than Meto and James

Dont think Monte's job is done yet

Fox,Cojo,Ramsey
Buddy,Haliburton,James
Barnes,Woodard,Jeffries
Bagley,Beli,Parker
Holmes,Whiteside

thats 14 signed, If they cut James would leave 13
Two more holes to fill
Add another SG to camp,to compete with James for 3rd SG
Thats 18 for Camp
keep an eye on waiver wire and during Camp
for a 3rd SG,C if better than Meto and James

Dont think Monte's job is done yet
I can see Bagley making a jump and Haliburton as day one ready, (both big ifs) making the team not much worse than last year. That's not really a good thing.

If they can move the B's (Barnes/Belly/Buddy) for assets, there is a promising future and high pick coming in. Bagley also shouldn't be untouchable if he doesn't develop as hoped, as he is becoming an expensive piece of potential (11 million option next year).

Well you called it.
I can see the team leaving an open spot. I forget his exact words, but Monte mentioned being in positions of opportunity. Like you mentioned waiver wire, etc.

DQJ is a backup 2/3, and easily outplayed JJ. JJ only has value now as trade filler as I believe his contract still has not been guaranteed.

I think it's interesting we have several non-guaranteed players now (JJ, Frank, Metu).

dude12

Hall of Famer
Interesting signing with Kaminsky. 1 year non-guaranteed. Wondering if there really is going to be a Holmes deal. Or a Bjelica deal. If Monte clears out one of those bigs then Kaminsky becomes guaranteed

Gonna be an interesting trade deadline
Buddy. And reserve of your choice for 2 1sts. And crap contracts

Barnes and reserve of your choice for 2 more First

If Monte decides to blow it up he will be setup to do

Gonna be an interesting trade deadline
Buddy. And reserve of your choice for 2 1sts. And crap contracts

Barnes and reserve of your choice for 2 more First

If Monte decides to blow it up he will be setup to do
doubt we get two firsts for Barnes, probably just cap relief. Buddy maybe a couple late first if he can bring his value back up. If we get a lottery pick for him that's a big win.