Current Kings roster and holes to fill

He's an expiring contract. That's his main value in a potential deal.

But he's also potentially a fill in for a playoff team that loses their rim protector to injury.

Even if he isn't dealt at all, it's a low risk signing that doesn't impact future flexibility.
There is no value there at all. An expiring minimum contract doesn't free up much of anything for another team. He will have next to no value on the trade market.

It's not about risk or future flexibility. It's about next years draft and where they're going to pick. All Whiteside is going to do is help the Kings slide further down in the lottery.

There is no value there at all. An expiring minimum contract doesn't free up much of anything for another team. He will have next to no value on the trade market.

It's not about risk or future flexibility. It's about next years draft and where they're going to pick. All Whiteside is going to do is help the Kings slide further down in the lottery.
I see what you are saying but believe it or not we probably have too much experience and talent to be in the top 5 regardless of any additions. We won 31 games last year with Fox Holmes and Bagley missing a ton of time. There is a decent chance we actually improve.

Teams that are worse than us imo are

Cavs
Pistons
Thunder
Knicks
Hornets

Maybe worse than us
Wolves- more talented but weird roster
Spurs-If they trade Derozan and lamarcus
Wizards- If Wall gets traded or isn't productive

I don't think there is much we can do to tank into the top 5-6 regardless of who we sign. If we trade Belli, Buddy, Cojo at the break we could move up some.

We are mostly likely to end up 7-11 in this next draft unless we get lucky in the lotto.

I see what you are saying but believe it or not we probably have too much experience and talent to be in the top 5 regardless of any additions. We won 31 games last year with Fox Holmes and Bagley missing a ton of time. There is a decent chance we actually improve.

Cavs
Pistons
Thunder
Knicks
Hornets

Maybe worse than us
Wizards- If Wall gets traded

I don't think there is much we can do to tank into the top 5-6 regardless of who we sign. If we trade Belli, Buddy, Cojo at the break we could move up some.

We are mostly likely to end up 7-11 in this next draft unless we get lucky in the lotto.
I don't disagree with you there and that's one of my main gripes. Either get worse by trading guys to gain assets or get better to make the playoffs. The Kings did neither unless Haliburton winds up being Fox level 1B right out of the gate. They're still in the same position they've always been in. The Kings will be outside the playoffs, while other bad teams have a much better crack at all star talent. In the end the Kings will flip some guys for expirings and 2nd rounders and we'll have a heap of money to spend on nobody because no one of any real talent and value will want to come here. High lottery picks are exponentially more important to this franchise than anything but they just cannot seem to realize that.

I don't disagree with you there and that's one of my main gripes. Either get worse by trading guys to gain assets or get better to make the playoffs. The Kings did neither unless Haliburton winds up being Fox level 1B right out of the gate. They're still in the same position they've always been in. The Kings will be outside the playoffs, while other bad teams have a much better crack at all star talent. In the end the Kings will flip some guys for expirings and 2nd rounders and we'll have a heap of money to spend on nobody because no one of any real talent and value will want to come here. High lottery picks are exponentially more important to this franchise than anything but they just cannot seem to realize that.
Who can we trade to get worse though? Barnes? I don't think Monte would trade him unless he can get assets back. I don't see him being moved as a salary dump that actually costs us.

Of the 5 teams I listed that are worse than us only the Thunder got there by design. The rest just suck.

If Bagley doesn't prove himself this year we will likely go into 2022 with Fox, Haliburton, 21 top ten draft choice, maybe Barnes plus whatever assets we got for Buddy etc. We are likely to have a couple shots at getting that second star we need.

Who can we trade to get worse though? Barnes? I don't think Monte would trade him unless he can get assets back. I don't see him being moved as a salary dump that actually costs us.

Of the 5 teams I listed that are worse than us only the Thunder got there by design. The rest just suck.

If Bagley doesn't prove himself this year we will likely go into 2022 with Fox, Haliburton, 21 top ten draft choice, maybe Barnes plus whatever assets we got for Buddy etc. We are likely to have a couple shots at getting that second star we need.
Barnes, Buddy, Bjelica and Holmes all have different levels of value depending on what team wants them. The longer McNair waits, the lower their value gets. Running it back and then trading them at a later date only hurts the franchise.

You're right about that second point. I'm glad we aren't Detriot. That was a wreck of an off season. It's like they watched the Knicks off season last year and thought that was a great idea, lets try it.

If possible, it would be nice to be able to flip as many assets as possible to potentially wind up with some late first rounders that you could package together for a late lottery pick. Getting into a position to be able to pick say 5th and 14th would be ideal for a rebuild. Trying to flip our assets for draft picks now (as long as the draft is strong enough) is better than future draft picks because that's just more time we have to wait on guys to develop. I'd rather get them now so we don't have to wait so long for a real playoff run.

Barnes, Buddy, Bjelica and Holmes all have different levels of value depending on what team wants them. The longer McNair waits, the lower their value gets.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true for Buddy and Barnes, at least, given the declining nature of their contracts (and given Buddy’s need to bounce back from last season’s performance on the court).

I don’t think that’s necessarily true for Buddy and Barnes, at least, given the declining nature of their contracts (and given Buddy’s need to bounce back from last season’s performance on the court).
I could be wrong and we could all be surprised by some good moves made in the future but declining contract deals aren't going to get us into position to get another Fox level talent, which is what this team needs to be able to compete.

I would hope that GMs realize that Buddy was mismanaged badly last year and that he would be valuable if he was used like Joerger used him.

Draft Picks- None signed yet
  • Tyrese Haliburton (20, 6’5.5 PG/SG)
  • Robert Woodard II (21 6’7 230 lbs. SF 7’2 wingspan)
  • Jahmi’us Ramsey (19 6’4 SG)
--------------------
13 roster spots filled

C: Bagley, Whiteside, Holmes
PF: Bjelica, Parker
SF: Barnes, Woodard,
SG: Hield, DQJ, Ramsey
PG: Fox, Haliburton, Cojo

Two way: Guy
--------------------
Options
  • Restricted Free Agent: Justin James (23, 6’7 listed as SF)
  • Exhibit 10: Quinton Rose (22, 6’8 listed as a Guard)
  • Camp Deal: Chimezie Metu (23, 6’9 listed as PF/C)
  • Non-guaranteed: Frank Kaminsky
  • Camp Deal: Vincent Edwards (24, 6’8 SF)

I see at least 1 roster spot (leaving 14 gives flexibility) and 1 two-way.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
--------------------
13 roster spots filled

--------------------
Options

Keep in mind that it's possible that Ramsey or Woodard signs a two-way deal.

Cavs
Pistons
Thunder
Knicks
Hornets

Maybe worse than us
Wizards- If Wall gets traded or isn't productive

Richard Jefferson said that the Kings have the worst line-up in the League.

--------------------
13 roster spots filled

--------------------
Options

James?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I thought it was a 2 year deal. But dont see the terms anywhere.
Actually, that does ring a bell. I guess the team could always just cut him, but for now I think you're right and he is under contract on a two-way.

So the situation appears to be:

12 players signed to guaranteed deals:
C: Holmes, Whiteside
PF: Bagley, Bjelica, Parker
SF: Barnes, Jeffries
SG: Hield, Haliburton, James
PG: Fox, Joseph

1 player signed to a two-way deal:
Guy

-------------------------------------------

2 unsigned second-round draft picks:
Woodard
Ramsey

1 unguaranteed contract
Kaminsky

1 Exhibit 10 contract
Rose

1 camp invite
Metu

That means right now we have five players competing for four slots (three NBA roster slots and a two-way slot). The leader for the two-way slot right now would appear to be Quinton Rose. The Exhibit 10 contract gives us the option to convert the deal to a two-way before the season starts. However, we've likely added an Exhibit 10 bonus which would allow us to cut him outright and give him up to a $50K bonus if he signs with our G-League team. This would allow us to "stash" him in Stockton without using a two-way, (but he would be liable to be poached by another team with a guaranteed NBA contract).

This flexibility is important because we will probably want control of three players, and we only have three roster slots. Kaminsky is likely to stick, and Woodard is likely to get an NBA deal, so that would bring us to 14 players. Ramsey would be the logical choice for the 15th player, but we might decide to go with Metu (or another future camp invite), or we might execute a trade that brings back an additional player, in which case we'd need to put Ramsey into the two-way slot, and Rose would likely be the one cut because we'd retain some measure of team control of him.

Needless to say, we don't have a lot of room to play around with, and it's not out of the question that future moves might necessitate us cutting a player to gain another NBA slot (Kaminsky, James, Parker most likely?) or a two-way slot (Guy).

Actually, that does ring a bell. I guess the team could always just cut him, but for now I think you're right and he is under contract on a two-way.

So the situation appears to be:

12 players signed to guaranteed deals:
C: Holmes, Whiteside
PF: Bagley, Bjelica, Parker
SF: Barnes, Jeffries
SG: Hield, Haliburton, James
PG: Fox, Joseph

1 player signed to a two-way deal:
Guy

2 unsigned second-round draft picks:
Woodard
Ramsey

1 unguaranteed contract
Kaminsky

1 Exhibit 10 contract
Rose

1 camp invite
Metu

That means right now we have five players competing for four slots (three NBA roster slots and a two-way slot). The leader for the two-way slot right now would appear to be Quinton Rose. The Exhibit 10 contract gives us the option to convert the deal to a two-way before the season starts. However, we've likely added an Exhibit 10 bonus which would allow us to cut him outright and give him up to a $50K bonus if he signs with our G-League team. This would allow us to "stash" him in Stockton without using a two-way, (but he would be liable to be poached by another team with a guaranteed NBA contract).

This flexibility is important because we will probably want control of three players, and we only have three roster slots. Kaminsky is likely to stick, and Woodard is likely to get an NBA deal, so that would bring us to 14 players. Ramsey would be the logical choice for the 15th player, but we might decide to go with Metu (or another future camp invite), or we might execute a trade that brings back an additional player, in which case we'd need to put Ramsey into the two-way slot, and Rose would likely be the one cut because we'd retain some measure of team control of him.

Needless to say, we don't have a lot of room to play around with, and it's not out of the question that future moves might necessitate us cutting a player to gain another NBA slot (Kaminsky, James, Parker most likely?) or a two-way slot (Guy).
I think if Ramsey plays well in training camp and pre season, Joseph will be traded or cut.

Simple question, have they adjusted the number of eligible players on the team because of Covid-19?

Normally it is maximum of 15 players plus 2 two-way players. The NBA released the guidelines for traveling parties which included up to 17 players. I found that odd with the limits on two-way players but I also don't recall anything about them expanding the roster slots. Just curious.

Simple question, have they adjusted the number of eligible players on the team because of Covid-19?

Normally it is maximum of 15 players plus 2 two-way players. The NBA released the guidelines for traveling parties which included up to 17 players. I found that odd with the limits on two-way players but I also don't recall anything about them expanding the roster slots. Just curious.
Pre season can have more.

Pre season can have more.
I may be mistaken but I had thought the guidelines were for the season and that was what baffled me about the number allowed. I knew that traveling staff would be large but when they are limiting the group to 45, how many did they take when things were normal? A lot more than I would have thought.

Ok though Glen Robinson to round out the roster would be an ideal offseason. Extend our star guard, remain flexible until we can move the poor contracts on the books, and targeting young athletic wings that can keep up with Fox.

I think if they do sign Robinson, They cut James, Keep Kaminsky,Woodard and Ramsey
Our second 2-way will be sorted out in Camp between Rose and Meto