Cousins Working His Butt Off (New poll)

Do we give Cousins the max extension?

• Total voters
man... kings fans. sometimes i wonder just how little of the rest of the nba some of you pay attention to...

demarcus cousins has shown nothing but loyalty to the sacramento kings franchise after four straight losing seasons with the team, during which time he's been thrown under the bus by coaches, dragged through the mud by the radio stooge in chief, lambasted by the fans, and shown not an ounce of support by the team's dimwitted owners. now there's a new regime in town, and ya wanna know what demarcus expects for the commitment he has displayed? loyalty in return. it's that simple. he knows his talent. the kings know his talent. so they have exactly two options. the kings either a) offer him a max extension before the deadline, or b) whisper sweet nothings in his ear all season long and grovel at his feet come season's end and hope that it's enough to get him to happily sign on the dotted line, because you cannot be late to the party when more attractive teams come calling...

personally, i'm down with funkykingston's theory that the new regime wants to give demarcus cousins a test drive this offseason before they extend him, sortofa good faith gesture on behalf of both parties. but brick is absolutely right about the lakers, the heat, and other potential suitors for DMC. the lakers are a franchise that has been called home by wilt chamberlain, kareem abdul jabbar, shaquille o'neal, and andrew bynum. their roster is currently home to a one-foot-in-the-grave steve nash, an on-his-last-legs kobe bryant, and an over-the-hill pau gasol. they will have considerable cap space next offseason, and ya don't think they'll target demarcus cousins? please. every team will have a contingency plan in place should they miss out on lebron or carmelo, and demarcus cousins will be the most attractive young piece on the market that you can legitimately build a team around, should the kings be foolish enough not to extend him ASAP...

then there's pat riley, a legend among legends who has a historic big man fetish. as happy as he is with his back-to-back championship miami heat, does anybody seriously think he doesn't squirm every time he's asked a question about his team's lack of an interior presence? does anybody seriously think he's satisfied with the birdman down low, and isn't actively considering life-after-chris-bosh? you wanna talk about two, three, four moves ahead of the field? that's pat riley, the guy who waited years to put his james-wade-bosh plan into action. if PDA has a supposed reputation for thinking several moves ahead, then he had better be thinking about pat riley, and whether or not it's worth the risk to wait until next offseason to offer demarcus cousins a new contract...

but here's the worst part: the kings have set themselves up for another losing season. if they don't offer demarcus cousins a max extension while they can, it's not like he doesn't have the perfect excuse to willingly listen to other offers from the kinds of major market franchises who will commit to winning now. if he listens to the lakers' pitch, and if he listens to the heat's pitch, and if he listens to pitches from half a dozen other teams with better franchise track records in the win/loss column than the sacramento kings, and then you decide to match, how happy do you think he's gonna be to come back here after he's seen what's out there?

i'm sorta flabbergasted right now. for four seasons, all i've heard from a massive contingent of kings fans is that demarcus cousins is too immature to lead, too much of a hothead to build a team around, too much of a liability to keep. and now it's all sunshine and rainbows because vivek ranadive has arrived, as if that would be enough to convince a volatile once-in-a-generation center to remain content and professional on a team that was late to it's own goddamn party...

:rolleyes:

the team's rookie owner, rookie gm, and rookie head coach would be fools to think that they know better than kings fans just how much of a headache demarcus cousins can be when he's unhappy. you either lock him up now, or you pray that demarcus doesn't try to force his way outta town in a season or two after you've matched offers from teams like the los angeles lakers or the miami heat, teams that will undeniably look attractive to demarcus considering that he didn't receive loyalty enough from sacramento by way of an extension. if you extend DMC and you're unable to build a winner around him, he and dan fegan might flex those trade demand muscles anyway, so why wait? so you can rest on your laurels? so kings fans can prop up their inferiority complex?

for the record, i don't care if demarcus hasn't "earned it" yet. none of that **** matters to me. this is small market basketball. rather, it's losing basketball in an undesirable small market in the contemporary nba, where small market teams regularly overpay just to cling to the potential of all-star talent. if you wait around, if you sit on your hands, if you're too ***** to pull the trigger on the potential of talent, then you're just gonna watch every tyreke evans, demarcus cousins, and andrew wiggins who walks through the door head right back out of it. the kings will become a farm team for the bigger markets who aren't afraid to take chances. again, i'm gonna assume that funkykingston's on the right track, and that the new regime has every intention of extending demarcus cousins after they've spent more time working with him this offseason. but if they don't, then they've made things considerably more difficult for themselves...

i will continue to maintain that's it's a hope-and-a-prayer strategy when you don't lock up young talent with all-star potential as soon as you possibly can. you're just hoping that you can retain that talent at a later date, or you're praying that you can replace it via free agency (not exactly a boon for a small market franchise in sacramento) or the draft (when was the last time the kings scored the #1 pick?) or on the trade block (who's sending back all-star potential for scraps)? i don't like gambling on those kinds of factors. that's betting against the house. i prefer to bet based on the cards in my hand, based on what i can see. and what i saw was an elite slasher with all-star potential who was allowed to walk out the door, and what i see is an elite center with the potential to dominate his position for a decade who has yet to be extended. you whiffed on the former. fine, it's time to move on. but you'd better lock up the latter, because there will be plenty of teams salivating at the chance to coax him away from you, or to, at the very least, muck up your locker room by giving him second thoughts about his loyalty to a franchise that didn't extend him when it should have...
I can't believe how much of the Kings games you don't pay attention to. Demarcus is our best player, but hasn't shown he is the player you gamble that much money on. I take that back, he has shown he is that type of player in spurts. Man, I hope he does dominate this year and gets that max deal at year's end from us.

I can't believe how much of the Kings games you don't pay attention to. Demarcus is our best player, but hasn't shown he is the player you gamble that much money on. I take that back, he has shown he is that type of player in spurts. Man, I hope he does dominate this year and gets that max deal at year's end from us.
Doesn't matter. Guys like Tyreke are expendable. You saw that by the kind of interest he got once he was offered the 11mil/deal from the Pelicans. No one wanted to touch it.

I also don't have a problem with waiting a bit on a Cousins extension. Let him have a good USA week, get him in training camp, work with our coaches, make sure he stays out of trouble etc. I really want him to take ownership of the team this year

You're also not paying attention. A max deal has to come before Oct. 31, else it's Evans all over again.
I am paying attention. Kings are going with Cousins, that's why they let Evans walk to come off the bench for 11 million, head scratching move by the Pelicans. If someone offers max then they match if he plays like a max player this year.

Was this needed? Does anyone disagree that Cousins needs an extension?
many disagree that cousins needs a max extension. since the new regime doubled-down on DMC, there has been consistent talk at kf.com that cousins shouldn't receive any extension at all, in fact. the claim made by such posters is that he should "earn it," and that the kings should take their chances next offseason. i disagree mightily, as the post you've quoted very clearly delineates...

I am paying attention. Kings are going with Cousins, that's why they let Evans walk to come off the bench for 11 million, head scratching move by the Pelicans. If someone offers max then they match if he plays like a max player this year.
Less of a head scratcher if you consider Eric Gordon expendable. His salary and skillset could buy a high draft pick or a small forward or interior presence for the Pelicans if a team like the Bucks or Hawks wants to pick up an actual 2-guard.

Less of a head scratcher if you consider Eric Gordon expendable. His salary and skillset could buy a high draft pick or a small forward or interior presence for the Pelicans if a team like the Bucks or Hawks wants to pick up an actual 2-guard.
EG is not a movable deal whatsoever. No one is going to take on that max deal until they see EG can be healthy.

If we can wait we should IMO and I am a big Cuz fan. I believe that if the team shows any sign of improvement, knocking at the playoff door, Cuz is going to sign with us no matter what. I'm very confident that will happened if we improved. It's his team after all.

But if we signed him to a max deal and continue to be a bottom feeder team, he's going to be malcontent center piece. We're going to have difficult time building a team around him, he's going to demand a trade and his value will drop. That of course is just my worst case scenario thought.

Basically I think it all depends on how well the team play whether Cuz will leave or not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
many disagree that cousins needs a max extension. since the new regime doubled-down on DMC, there has been consistent talk at kf.com that cousins shouldn't receive any extension at all, in fact. the claim made by such posters is that he should "earn it," and that the kings should take their chances next offseason. i disagree mightily, as the post you've quoted very clearly delineates...
I'm not convinced you're right that "many disagree" about the maximum extension. So, I've created a poll. Let's see where the chips fall. :)

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not convinced you're right that "many disagree" about the maximum extension. So, I've created a poll. Let's see where the chips fall. :)
Tricky. There are three different "yes" options that basically amount to the same thing. How do I know if I'm voting for the right one?

a poll is dependent upon those who participate in it, but there have been plenty of dissenting voices in the very recent past, notably here and here. while i think most at kf.com are on the same page regarding whether or not the kings should offer DMC a max extension, let's not pretend like there haven't been numerous individuals in the last few seasons have taken every opportunity to snipe at demarcus cousins, a rather obvious target. he's the only figure on the team who's actually been more polarizing than tyreke evans. i mean, if there's one thing this website could hardly be accused of, it's harmonious concurrence...

;)

Which NBA have people been watching? Did you see how that worked for the Pelicans with Gordon? Did you not notice these constant machinations out of town by Melo, Dwight, Deron and all the rest?

And which Cousins have you been watching? I find it incredible how Cousins can simultaneously not be mature enough to be given the max contract he is obviously going to be given anyway, but at the same time he's going to be mature enough to just shrug when you yank him back against his will?

There is a lot of self-delusion on this topic amongst the Kings fanbase. Nobody likes to look in the mirror and realize they are the fat kid with glasses in the back of the room, nor realize that their chubby girlfriend is outgrowing her babyfat and turning into one of the hottest girls in the class. You damn well better commit, because the jocks and class presidents have taken note, and you've got nothing to offer but loyalty. She's got options. You have 7 straight losing seasons, a revolving door of rookie coaches, your second best player is Marcus Thornton, you play in a decrepit building, and your radio host likes to lambast your girl on air and drive scores of ditto heads to call in to agree. Meanwhile the popular girls are going to start whispering in her ear this year, and she's got a powerful and connected daddy who's determined to find a guy worthy of her. You put her on the market, and she's gone in heart if not in body, and the rest inevitably resolves.

This is the time when you suck it up and pay the man while he still wants it to be you.

Gordon is still with his original team... I'm assuming you bring him up because you think he faked his injury to force a trade, that is based on no facts.

Funny that you bring up Melo, Dwight, and Deron... they each signed extensions with their original teams from their rookie deals. Know why? Because it was their first chance at a big pay day. It is extremely rare for a player on a rookie deal to turn down a max offer from their team and take the 1 year QA offer instead.

While that may be an apt comparison for unrestricted FA (although diminishing the weight guaranteed money brings to the table), it is poor and misleading for this restricted FA situation.

In short... should they give him a max extension now? Yes. Does it mean Cousins is gone if they don't? No, players on rookie deals rarely turn down their first big payday.

Last edited:
Which NBA have people been watching? Did you see how that worked for the Pelicans with Gordon? Did you not notice these constant machinations out of town by Melo, Dwight, Deron and all the rest?

And which Cousins have you been watching? I find it incredible how Cousins can simultaneously not be mature enough to be given the max contract he is obviously going to be given anyway, but at the same time he's going to be mature enough to just shrug when you yank him back against his will?

There is a lot of self-delusion on this topic amongst the Kings fanbase. Nobody likes to look in the mirror and realize they are the fat kid with glasses in the back of the room, nor realize that their chubby girlfriend is outgrowing her babyfat and turning into one of the hottest girls in the class. You damn well better commit, because the jocks and class presidents have taken note, and you've got nothing to offer but loyalty. She's got options. You have 7 straight losing seasons, a revolving door of rookie coaches, your second best player is Marcus Thornton, you play in a decrepit building, and your radio host likes to lambast your girl on air and drive scores of ditto heads to call in to agree. Meanwhile the popular girls are going to start whispering in her ear this year, and she's got a powerful and connected daddy who's determined to find a guy worthy of her. You put her on the market, and she's gone in heart if not in body, and the rest inevitably resolves.

This is the time when you suck it up and pay the man while he still wants it to be you.
You could add that the hot girlfriend has a temper that may even be hotter and she can be he** to live with. It would be a more accurate comparison.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There's a new article that speaks of the need for extension. Interesting to note that it appears to be based on a article from our ace reporter, Jason Jones. (And yes, that is definitely dripping sarcasm.)

Here's a quote from Jones:

"I'm super excited where this franchise is headed," Cousins said. "I'm glad to be a part of it."

Cousins has been called the cornerstone of the franchise by Ranadive.

"It's something I already knew, but I'm glad it's being said," Cousins said. "So I'm going to take my opportunity and I'm going to do my (darn) best to lead this team to this win."
Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/king...ins-i-do-want-to-be-a-king.html#storylink=cpy

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
a poll is dependent upon those who participate in it, but there have been plenty of dissenting voices in the very recent past, notably here and here. while i think most at kf.com are on the same page regarding whether or not the kings should offer DMC a max extension, let's not pretend like there haven't been numerous individuals in the last few seasons have taken every opportunity to snipe at demarcus cousins, a rather obvious target. he's the only figure on the team who's actually been more polarizing than tyreke evans. i mean, if there's one thing this website could hardly be accused of, it's harmonious concurrence...

;)
A poll can be an interesting measure of how people CURRENTLY feel. You're entitled to give it whatever merit you feel it's worth, but it doesn't mean it's not a valid indicator. There are lots of people who do not post much any more because they do not like the uber-adversarial nature of some threads. They do vote in polls, however.

I'm not pretending anything in regards to those who "have taken every opportunity to snipe" at DMC. I won't fall into that trap. There is a small group of people around here who would argue about whether the sun rises in the east or the west ... or whether it actually rises at all. I'm not one of them.

People have a right to their opinions even if it's diametrically opposed to what you or I would like. I can respect someone who feels as passionately in their dissent as I do in my support. It is my humble opinion that a lot of our discussions would be better served if people didn't always act as though theirs was the only acceptable opinion on a topic.

But I digress...the poll may not be meaningful to you and that's fine. For a number of us, however, the polls are an interesting measure of how the majority of people who vote feel.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Tricky. There are three different "yes" options that basically amount to the same thing. How do I know if I'm voting for the right one?
I struggled with that, but I read the whole thread and thought those were the most commonly used qualifiers for those in favor of a maximum extension. Basically, I didn't want to restrict or overlook those who weren't in the unqualified yes or no category. For statistical purposes, the responses to the three Yes options can be combined. :)

Great idea on the poll, VF21. I had searched for one this morning briefly thinking one had been posted already, but turns out I was just remembering Sactown Royalty's poll from around the time the first Jason Jones story came out on the max request. I think that one ended in 40% for, 60% against.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great idea on the poll, VF21. I had searched for one this morning briefly thinking one had been posted already, but turns out I was just remembering Sactown Royalty's poll from around the time the first Jason Jones story came out on the max request. I think that one ended in 40% for, 60% against.
Thanks. :) Don't forget to vote.

I liked having the poll.
I voted I'm not sure yet - and here's why:

I am a huge DMC fan. I literally am not sure if I would remain much of a Kings fan without him on the team. I don't say that lightly, since I've been a fan since 85.

But I still would not extend him yet.
Why?
Listen to what DMC said at Team USA - he hasn't even played one game with Coach Malone yet.

Guys - we know NOTHING about how this team and coach will come together this year.
They've barely even talked.
Can we wait until they talk basketball, life, philosophy of winning, learn plays, practice, scrimmage, and see more of how it's shaping up before we prematurely take an action?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Gordon is still with his original team... I'm assuming you bring him up because you think he faked his injury to force a trade, that is based on no facts.
Are you referring to the Gordon who was drafted by Chicago, and currently playing for Charlotte, or are you referring to the Gordon who was drafted by Los Angeles, and currently playing for New Orleans? Because one of them walked as a free agent, and the other tried to leave as a restricted free agent, and has been, arguably, dogging it ever since his the team that held his rights wouldn't let him leave.

In regards to the poll ordinary I would say hold off on the max extension. I don't think he has proven enough on/off the court to warrant it, I think with the rights we have we're in position to keep him or get value for him over the coming summers, and I don't like agents/players dictating to franchises extension threats. With that being said I look at the poll and realize what a minority I am, so I will vote not sure. There is probably something I am overlooking, and I'll reserve judgment

Last edited:
Extend Big Cuz big new long-term contract definitely before training camp. Let two new Kings rookies beg for high honor to carry his bags, to swoon over #15 right away in camp. Let Boogie get well adjusted to his new role as leader and face of the franchise for many years to come. Lets get on with it - wrap him up, challenge Big Cuz to lead the team, lead the march to new Kings glory.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I liked having the poll.
I voted I'm not sure yet - and here's why:

I am a huge DMC fan. I literally am not sure if I would remain much of a Kings fan without him on the team. I don't say that lightly, since I've been a fan since 85.

But I still would not extend him yet.
Why?
Listen to what DMC said at Team USA - he hasn't even played one game with Coach Malone yet.

Guys - we know NOTHING about how this team and coach will come together this year.
They've barely even talked.
Can we wait until they talk basketball, life, philosophy of winning, learn plays, practice, scrimmage, and see more of how it's shaping up before we prematurely take an action?
No we really can't because none of the above stuff is why you are giving Cousins the max extension.

You are giving it to him because of his talent, which is unique and borderline unprecedented for a man his size. No matter how sideways the rest goes, no matter how messed up things become, he'll still be a uniquely talented big man the likes of which Sacramento can never acquire any other way than getting extremely lucky in the draft again 20 years from now or whatnot. I have considerable hopes for Malone, but he's a rooie coach who could just as easily bomb out of the league in 2 years like so many rookie coaches before him. You can't make determinations on franchise level basketball talents on the basis of temporary employees anymore than you should have made a Reke judgment based on Smart's work.

Are you referring to the Gordon who was drafted by Chicago, and currently playing for Charlotte, or are you referring to the Gordon who was drafted by Los Angeles, and currently playing for New Orleans? Because one of them walked as a free agent, and the other tried to leave as a restricted free agent, and has been, arguably, dogging it ever since his the team that held his rights wouldn't let him leave.
Interesting, you've completely missed the point in an attempt to make a snarky comment.

Yes, Gordon was traded but for the purposes of our argument, that doesn't matter. NO had the same contract and rights as if they drafted him. Gordon could not leave in restricted free agency even though he wanted to and he is still with the team he wanted to leave. Your assertion that he's "dogging it" is conjecture and based on no facts.

Also, surely you could have figured out which Gordon Brick (and in turn me) were referring to based on context, but I'm assuming you do know and that was just another attempt to make a snarky comment.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
There's nothing to figure out: you claimed that Gordon was still with his original team, when this is patently untrue. I am not concerned, nor even interested, in the argument between you and Bricklayer. It is in my nature to be pedantic, and pedantic I shall be. Anyone who's been on this message board for more than a week already knows this, so you might as well get used to the fact that I'm not changing.

But, the good news for you is, dealing (or not dealing) with me is usually simple enough: if you don't want me all up in your Kool-Aid, get your nomenclatures correct. If you hadn't said something so provably false to try and make your point, we wouldn't currently be having this conversation.

EDIT - And as to whether or not Gordon was "dogging it," I did say "arguably." And, when you look at his career numbers, and realize that he put up career lows, almost across the board, despite the fact that last season was far from the first time he dealt with significant injury, "dogging it" is not necessarily as much conjecture as you might want to believe.

Last edited:
There's nothing to figure out: you claimed that Gordon was still with his original team, when this is patently untrue. I am not concerned, nor even interested, in the argument between you and Bricklayer. It is in my nature to be pedantic, and pedantic I shall be. Anyone who's been on this message board for more than a week already knows this, so you might as well get used to the fact that I'm not changing.

But, the good news for you is, dealing (or not dealing) with me is usually simple enough: if you don't want me all up in your Kool-Aid, get your nomenclatures correct. If you hadn't said something so provably false to try and make your point, we wouldn't currently be having this conversation.
He's still on the original team that he wanted to leave. That was the point. You missed it.

Also I'm assuming you bolded "Bricklayer" as another snarky jab. Is everybody supposed to write screennames in full? Please.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Since my post was initially lost in the middle of some side debate, I've deleted it and am reposting it because I think this COULD BE SIGNIFICANT:

Ahem...back to the topic of Cousins, if I may. From Twitter:

Ailene Voisin ‏@ailene_voisin 1h

Ranadive and Cousins sitting and talking in quiet corner of the gym. Agent chases off tv crew that shoved a long microphone into group

In the background on adjacent court, PJ Carlesimo is running fantasy leaguers thru drills

Ranadive walking out gym with one of dmc's agents