Comcast Sports Net announces changes to TV coverage

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From press release:

CSN California (@CSNAuthentic), the home of "Authentic Bay Area Sports," announced today its coverage of the Sacramento Kings for the 2015-16 season, which includes 81 games (80 regular season, one preseason); extensive game day coverage with Kings Pregame Live and Kings Postgame Live; Kings games, Kings Pregame Live and Kings Postgame Live steamed live on CSNBayArea.com and via the NBC Sports Live Extra app; season-long, comprehensive Kings and NBA news, analysis, and insider reports on SportsNet Central, SportsTalk Live, and Kings Central; and in-depth 24/7 online coverage on CSNBayArea.com's "KingsTalk" page. In addition, popular Kings alumnus and 15-year NBA veteran Doug Christie joins CSN California as an analyst for Kings Pregame Liveand Kings Postgame Live, and James Ham has been named the network's new "Kings Insider." (Mod. note: Replacing Bill Herenda.)

The 2015-16 Kings regular season on CSN California gets underway on Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. when the Kings host the Los Angeles Clippers (coverage starts on Kings Pregame Live at 6:30 p.m.). The network will air the Kings' final regular season game at Sleep Train Arena versus the Oklahoma City Thunder on Saturday, April 9 at 7:30 p.m. (coverage starts on Kings Pregame Live from Sleep Train Arena at 7 p.m.).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Does that mean if I order NBA LP, but I am in a blacked out area... I won't be able to watch any Kings games since they are locally aired?
@gutiosnake, if Kings games are blacked out on League Pass for you, you should check with your cable provider to see if you have access to CSN-CA. Typically, games are only blacked out on League Pass which are available locally.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It wasn't part of the cable package when I was stationed there. But, then again, Kings games weren't blacked out on League Pass, either. I would definitely double check with your provider and, if not, I would personally send feedback to NBA.com. Preferably now, before the season is started, and you've got time. Because League Pass is not supposed to blackout any games unless they're available on an alternative channel on your cable package.

Not saying that it never happens, because apparently @Entity is unable to watch Pelicans games for similar reasons. In both cases, I suspect that there is a non-zero chance that the problem can only be corrected by switching providers.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Yes does make since. I get 0 New Orleans local channels as I am in east Alabama. I do get Memphis and Atlanta. But yet I am completely blacked out for all games vs New Orleans even when it's on NBA TV. Apparently my local map covers 5 states. I have called and called each year my provider. Nothing they can do. Apparently the map is handed out by the NBA. It's out of your providers hands.

No NBA games should be blacked out in Hawaii (is that where we're talking about?) as the closest NBA city is 2,500 miles away. Wouldn't make any sense.

Here in the Sacramento area, the only games blacked out on the LP are Kings and Warriors games. Every other team is available. Since their are no local broadcasts in HI, I don't see how in the world any of the games would be blacked out.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I haven't gone past provider. Direct tv. Only comp would be dish network and that's not happening lol
:: shrugs ::

Oh well. I'm sure you have your reasons, and I've got better things to do than cast aspersions or pass judgment on them. Speaking just for myself, there's nothing that has a higher precedence in my TV watching than Kings games, and a content provider that can't offer them to me is a content provider I have no use for. I can't imagine how personally aggrieved I would have to have been by the competition to refuse to switch, if switching were the only barrier to me watching the Kings. Which, for the record, I'm not even saying that it is, in your case. Just that, in my case, if it weren't for the Kings, I wouldn't even have cable, so if my provider couldn't offer me the Kings, there's nothing else they could offer me to get me to stay.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Well I've had both dish and now direct tv. Dish was horrible. Been with direct for 12 years now and other than pelican games I have had no trouble lol.

No NBA games should be blacked out in Hawaii (is that where we're talking about?) as the closest NBA city is 2,500 miles away. Wouldn't make any sense.

Here in the Sacramento area, the only games blacked out on the LP are Kings and Warriors games. Every other team is available. Since their are no local broadcasts in HI, I don't see how in the world any of the games would be blacked out.
I agree... it wouldn't make any sense to black out Kings games in Hawaii... but when I go to the NBA LP website to sign up, both LA teams and Sacramento are greyed out saying they will be blacked out. Maybe the Kings have some sort of television rights to Hawaii and I'm just not aware of what that could possibly be. In any case, I'll have to talk to my cable provider and/or LP to see what can be done, if anything.