Clint Capela may be available

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Please quote where exactly have I mentioned offensive improvement? I am referring to his improvement defensively. In fact we don't need him to develop offensively. He already does what we need him to do at a high level. I am not expecting him to start shooting 3s. He is a player that gets his points of pick and rolls, put backs and just generally cleaning up the junk which is what we expected WCS to do.

One problem we wouldn't have with Capela is him thinking he is what he is not offensively.
Look, Capela has his value around the league but I don't think it's a coincidence that the Rockets are all of a sudden making him available. Morey is seeing that he can't move forward with Capela as a starting center if the end goal is a trophy.

Look, Capela has his value around the league but I don't think it's a coincidence that the Rockets are all of a sudden making him available. Morey is seeing that he can't move forward with Capela as a starting center if the end goal is a trophy.
They’re making him available because he’s their only core piece that is movable, would garner an asset to send to Philly, and would help offset Butler’s incoming salary. This isn’t a “dump” to them. It’s an upgrade, just at a different position.

I look forward to debating Capela’s fit when the kings make the second round!

I think LPKingsFan sums it up pretty well here.

Rockets need to make someone available (that is attractive enough to other teams) so that they can get Butler. Do you honestly think they would trade Capela if they were not after another all-star? Who else from their roster will be attractive enough for other teams to trade a 1st round pick that is not named James Harden?

There is not a player out there that fits ideally with Bagley. Maybe Anthony Davis and that is it.

Name me a player who will rebound at a high clip, can shoot jumpers consistently out to beyond the 3pt range, defend on the switch and protect the paint. Name me a player that has ALL of those attribute that is a realistic get for the Kings?

Even Giles who the franchise sees as a long term fit next to Bagley does not provide all those attributes.
Thats the thing, its very hard to find that high end specific fit. Thats one reason I would really like to find out wether Bagley can be the center. Ideal high end fits are probably guys like Davis, Embiid, Horford, Turner but those are hard to get so other option is to get cheaper guys that at least space the floor and give you solid D like Dedmond, Lopez, Kleber ect and play Bagley 10-25min at center depending on matchups.

Ps. Rebounding for the C is not as crucial if you are planning on playing Bagley as a 4 so thats why Horford would be a great fit short term.

All in all imo getting a non ideal fit at C with big money and long term puts a cap on our ceiling. That way you arent able to utilize Bagley fully and you limit the offensive potential quite significantly. I also dont like the argument that "lets worry about getting to the playoffs first." A young rebuilding team should not make quick fix decisions if they limit the possible outcome of that rebuild.

Last edited:
Again, usage rate is one thing. Are you telling me that Buddy's defense, ball handling and just passing in general has not improved in the last season compared to what it was previously? C'mon now!
In some ways yes they did, but he still always showed potential there. The argument with Capela or any player like him is them showing the things they really haven't shown before and if you can rely on the possibility of that becoming a staple of their game. Last year everyone was giving credit to the coaching staff for almost every aspect of development with Buddy like he was some sort of baby bird who just learned to fly. I then posted a video of his highlights in college. Most of those skills he already had, he just refined them or was allowed to show them more prominently. As I said, Capela could have them but it was really hidden if true.

In some ways yes they did, but he still always showed potential there. The argument with Capela or any player like him is them showing the things they really haven't shown before and if you can rely on the possibility of that becoming a staple of their game. Last year everyone was giving credit to the coaching staff for almost every aspect of development with Buddy like he was some sort of baby bird who just learned to fly. I then posted a video of his highlights in college. Most of those skills he already had, he just refined them or was allowed to show them more prominently. As I said, Capela could have them but it was really hidden if true.
I am talking about Capela developing defensively to defend the pick and roll effectively enough not to be played off the court in play offs as someone suggested. I am not expecting him to start draining 3s off the dribble.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think LPKingsFan sums it up pretty well here.

Rockets need to make someone available (that is attractive enough to other teams) so that they can get Butler. Do you honestly think they would trade Capela if they were not after another all-star? Who else from their roster will be attractive enough for other teams to trade a 1st round pick that is not named James Harden?
They are trying to get over the hump. They feel they can do so with Butler so Capela becomes expendable. Best believe their new starting center will be able to do more than just catch lobs and rebound.

They are trying to get over the hump. They feel they can do so with Butler so Capela becomes expendable. Best believe their new starting center will be able to do more than just catch lobs and rebound.
We’ll see. To me, it’s clear that Capela’s skill set is largely irrelevant to the Rocket’s thinking in trading him here. To put it in the crudest terms possible, they want to trade a top 30-50 player for a top 20 player. That’s pretty much it.

That is exactly what their new C will do. Hell they had Faried play the C for good periods of the season and are reportedly interested in Looney if they get Butler.

I am talking about Capela developing defensively to defend the pick and roll effectively enough not to be played off the court in play offs as someone suggested. I am not expecting him to start draining 3s off the dribble.
But many of the arguments against Capela have been about his ability to spread the floor next to Bagley.

But many of the arguments against Capela have been about his ability to spread the floor next to Bagley.
Err the poster I am debating this with was saying that Capela is unplayable in the play offs because of his inability to defend the pick and roll.

I have no problem with Capela’s offensive game. None what so ever. Its what I was from the big man. He is everything we wanted WCS to be and I am more than comfortable with that.

Err the poster I am debating this with was saying that Capela is unplayable in the play offs because of his inability to defend the pick and roll.

I have no problem with Capela’s offensive game. None what so ever. Its what I was from the big man. He is everything we wanted WCS to be and I am more than comfortable with that.
My bad, most of the time the only argument against him is his ability to play next to Bagley. In pick and roll I think he's alright myself. I think D'Antoni misused him on that end honestly. His offense did take him off the floor though.

So we get Barnes for 20.4 Mil, end up trading 1st rd pick for Clint without incentives 14.9 Mil, since we have to decide on Yogi by the 4th we keep him
while we wait on Butler/Rockets

We now have 10 Players with payroll of 80 Mil

Last 4 players on min contracts use 6 mil

If we spend 12 mil on a Backup SF on a 2 yr contract

We maintain great cap flexability, min payroll 98mil

Still get our starting 5 we can resign as needed

What 3 and D player do we get short term for SF

Trvor ariza, Demarre carroll ?

Fox,Yogi
Buddy, Bogi
Barnes
Marvin,Bjelly,Swanigan
Clint,Giles

Last edited:
Vlade should 1st try to sign Lopez, kick the tires on Vuc and Hortford, then look for a deal on Deadmon or Bryant
And THEN,
If we strike out, bring in Capella. Otherwise im not that interested in him...how much better is he than Looney?

We reallyneed to give up a 1st to get Capella?
Yes there might be some sort of protection on the pick

But Rockets want a 1st to trade to Philly for Butler

But until LA gets Leonard or Kyrie, Butler to Rockets needs to be possible for Rockets to pull trigger on Clint trade

While we wait on Clint, Vuc stays in Orlando,Lopez resigns with Bucks, so unless we are the Surprise bid for Horford

we end up with Maybe Dedmon

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
That is exactly what their new C will do. Hell they had Faried play the C for good periods of the season and are reportedly interested in Looney if they get Butler.
Looney won't do much for them if that is the case. Morey is in over his head. There are better options out there for Houston.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We’ll see. To me, it’s clear that Capela’s skill set is largely irrelevant to the Rocket’s thinking in trading him here. To put it in the crudest terms possible, they want to trade a top 30-50 player for a top 20 player. That’s pretty much it.
irrelevant? I don't think so. His playing time in the Postseason said it all in my opinion. They don't feel they can get over the hurdle with the roster as constructed so changes had to be made and it sure isn't going to be Harden and good luck trading CP3 and that contract.