Clint Capela may be available

Entity

Hall of Famer
yeah i don't get the worrying about a pick 2 years from now after bagleys 3rd year, Fox and Bogis 4th year and Buddy's 5th year as well as Capela and Giles. If we are in the lottery then we need to drop them all anyway

Top 3 Top 4 whatevs

The only issue i have is Capela can’t stretch the floor, but as Bagley works on his outside game this will be less of an issue

I don’t get how we know Dedmon would be a better fit offensively, we also don’t know Lopez is an option. Everything I hear is he’s either staying put or going to LA. He’s also older.

Vucevic would be fine, but he wants a max deal, and the Kings arent doing that. Also remember his numbers are slightly inflated due to playing the bulk of his minutes in the EC. He’s not a WC option.

To pick up a 25 year old who goes 16/12/1.5 blocks for a draft pick (also lets hope that pick isn’t that great in two years) is a great opportunity. To me, Capela is everything WCS could’ve been but isn’t, and in two years if Harry develops like the Kings hope he does, Capela will be 27 and very movable.
Let's take a look at Dedmon's shooting chart.

dedmon.PNG

Now he was shooting 35.5 from 3 two years ago, 38.2 last season. That's not from a high volume of shots either, but 3.8 attempts last year would be about right for us. Maybe 4. something.

He's money beyond the arc at quality low volume shots. Just what we need.

Come on, when Fox beats someone off the dribble or using the pick and roll we don't want to clog the lane for him either. You have Dedmon run the break when suitable, get an offensive rebound or cut to the basket on occasion, or spread that floor.

Bagley's game opens up too. And even if he gets the all around away from the basket game later. He is not there yet.

We'd pay a Sacramento premium for him, but it would be considerably cheaper than Capela. Also, we wouldn't be giving up an asset, just cap space.

I'm not convinced Capela's contract is golden 100% for sure either, with the way the "traditional" center contracts are going these days.

Also you'd be able to use Harry and Dedmon together too at times. I also don't think Dedmon has even made 20 million over his career, so money would tempt him.

I'm not hearing a peep about where Lopez may be going or what he wants, he's made a ton of loot over his career too. So money may not be a primary option for him.

Going to disagree man.

I want to point out rebound anomalies too.

Capela averaged 12.7 boards last year. But if you look closer, 8.3 defensive rebounds. He got a whole lot of offensive rebounds 4.4 which I'm going to argue is partially because of the volume of 3's Houston took. I don't think he gets as many on a lower 3 point volume team.

Bagley has beast potential on the offensive boards. I think we can make up some of those if he is near the basket with a spaced floor.

hopefully it's only discussions and nothing comes of it. Capela doesn't move the needle much for the Kings in my opinion.
I don't understand this line of thinking. A 25 year old C who averages double double, converts some 65% of his shots (i.e. he knows what he is capable of and won't be jacking up jumpers), defends well and is a rim runner does not move the needle for this team?

Capela is everything we wanted Willie Cauley Stein to be and many are saying that WCS fits this team.

Dave said that he would trade 21' 1st for Capela even if he knew that pick was #3 on that draft. Thats horribly overrating his talent, horribly underrating the value of #3 pick and completely disregarding the non ideal fit with Bagley.
There is not a player out there that fits ideally with Bagley. Maybe Anthony Davis and that is it.

Name me a player who will rebound at a high clip, can shoot jumpers consistently out to beyond the 3pt range, defend on the switch and protect the paint. Name me a player that has ALL of those attribute that is a realistic get for the Kings?

Even Giles who the franchise sees as a long term fit next to Bagley does not provide all those attributes.

I want to point out rebound anomalies too.

Capela averaged 12.7 boards last year. But if you look closer, 8.3 defensive rebounds. He got a whole lot of offensive rebounds 4.4 which I'm going to argue is partially because of the volume of 3's Houston took. I don't think he gets as many on a lower 3 point volume team.

Bagley has beast potential on the offensive boards. I think we can make up some of those if he is near the basket with a spaced floor.
But didn't our new head coach say in his press conference that we will be a shooting a lot of 3s?

Quite simply, had WCS put number or displayed consistent ability to play something closely resembling what Capela has done in the last 2 season, this board would be talking how he is a must keep.

12 months ago a lot of people on this very board wanted us to offer Capela the max. All of a sudden he doesn't move the needle?

Capela salary next season is roughly 1.6 times the MLE. Hardly a salary cap busting contract.

But didn't our new head coach say in his press conference that we will be a shooting a lot of 3s?

Quite simply, had WCS put number or displayed consistent ability to play something closely resembling what Capela has done in the last 2 season, this board would be talking how he is a must keep.

12 months ago a lot of people on this very board wanted us to offer Capela the max. All of a sudden he doesn't move the needle?

Capela salary next season is roughly 1.6 times the MLE. Hardly a salary cap busting contract.
We didn't get to see what Bagley could do until this season.

That's why, fit with Bagley.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Is Houston trying to dump salary or not? Seems they kind of are and for me that digs down the trade value of Capela....at least slightly. I really think they should try and sign a FA instead of dealing assets. I’d try the FA route first before going after Capela

Is Houston trying to dump salary or not? Seems they kind of are and for me that digs down the trade value of Capela....at least slightly. I really think they should try and sign a FA instead of dealing assets. I’d try the FA route first before going after Capela
Houston is trading assets to get Jimmy Butler via sign and trade. Capela is the asset they are open to trading but Philly does not need him because they have Embiid. Its not like they are dumping salary to sign Jimmy as a FA using cap space.

There is not a player out there that fits ideally with Bagley. Maybe Anthony Davis and that is it.

Name me a player who will rebound at a high clip, can shoot jumpers consistently out to beyond the 3pt range, defend on the switch and protect the paint. Name me a player that has ALL of those attribute that is a realistic get for the Kings?

Even Giles who the franchise sees as a long term fit next to Bagley does not provide all those attributes.
Joel Embiid. I can't believe no one thought of him. Let's just trade for him. :p

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't understand this line of thinking. A 25 year old C who averages double double, converts some 65% of his shots (i.e. he knows what he is capable of and won't be jacking up jumpers), defends well and is a rim runner does not move the needle for this team?

Capela is everything we wanted Willie Cauley Stein to be and many are saying that WCS fits this team.
Capela has been spoon fed dunks courtesy of Harden and CP3. His playing time diminished in the Postseason when it came to crunch time because he wasn't able to handle the Pick and roll and he was a liability on offense. Those who say Willie fits this team just aren't expecting much success in the Playoffs then as far as I'm concerned.

This is getting funny.

If you think the Sacramento Kings are going to be able to better use $18m worth of salary cap space in free agency you haven't been paying attention the past 15 years. The salary should be a non factor.

If it's a protected pick it's a no brainer. 25 year old double double machine that protects the paint and doesn't impact your ability to retain all of the current core.

Consider me a pessimist, but the best hope to get a quality starter at a position of need, for this team, is through a trade, not free agency. You're setting yourself up for some major disappointment if you think we're gonna do better than Clint Capella.

Dude is a stud and we'd be lucky to have him.

Horford.

Capela has been spoon fed dunks courtesy of Harden and CP3. His playing time diminished in the Postseason when it came to crunch time because he wasn't able to handle the Pick and roll and he was a liability on offense. Those who say Willie fits this team just aren't expecting much success in the Playoffs then as far as I'm concerned.
Firstly, I would be worried about getting to the play offs first before worrying who can and can't play there. Last time I checked, Sacramento has not made the play off in close to 15 years.

Secondly, you are basing your whole argument off one play off series in a year in which the whole team has been spluttering. Have you forgotten Houston's start to the season?

Thirdly, there is absolutely no issues what so ever of Capela getting his points of dunks. That is EXACTLY what you want out of a role playing big. Its exactly how WCS has been getting his points except Capela has been much more efficient at it while doing the things that we wanted WCS to do.

Fouthly, Capela is 25 years old. Do you honestly think that he is a finished product? Do you honestly think that there is no way he can improve his pick and roll defense? He has been a very productive young big despite the deficiencies you are pointing out. So does that mean we can't play Bagley in the play offs because he was abused in the pick and roll all season long? Should we ditch him as well since we can't play him in the play offs either?

Fifthly, there is no way in hell you will get a more talented C in the free agency than Capela for that contract price. That contract is roughly 1.6 times the MLE for a 25 year old that is one of the more productive big man in the league. Last time I checked, talent is king. Always has been and always will be in this league.

Lastly, you don't expect Capela to play 48 minutes a night. If he is getting taken advantage off defensively, the coach will have an option of Bagley or Giles at the 5. Capela would be a 30 mpg player for us anyway which is what you want out of that position with Bagley and Giles on the team and needing development minutes and even in those minutes, you are still getting a double double from a player who is still 25 years old and yet to enter his prime.

IMHO, if the trade price is reasonable, this is a no brainer for the Kings. It is highly unlikely that Capela is not tradeable at any time during the next 4 years. Its not like you are dropping 4 year $112m deal on a 33 year old Horford or a 4 year, $140m deal on a 29 year old Vucevic where you are resigned to the fact that in year 3 or 4 (or even sooner) that contract becomes unmoveable without giving away assets to shed salary. Capela has 4 years and $74m remaining on the deal at an average of $18.5m. At no time does that contract become unmovable.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Firstly, I would be worried about getting to the play offs first before worrying who can and can't play there. Last time I checked, Sacramento has not made the play off in close to 15 years.

Secondly, you are basing your whole argument off one play off series in a year in which the whole team has been spluttering. Have you forgotten Houston's start to the season?

Thirdly, there is absolutely no issues what so ever of Capela getting his points of dunks. That is EXACTLY what you want out of a role playing big. Its exactly how WCS has been getting his points except Capela has been much more efficient at it while doing the things that we wanted WCS to do.

Fouthly, Capela is 25 years old. Do you honestly think that he is a finished product? Do you honestly think that there is no way he can improve his pick and roll defense? He has been a very productive young big despite the deficiencies you are pointing out. So does that mean we can't play Bagley in the play offs because he was abused in the pick and roll all season long? Should we ditch him as well since we can't play him in the play offs either?

Fifthly, there is no way in hell you will get a more talented C in the free agency than Capela for that contract price. That contract is roughly 1.6 times the MLE for a 25 year old that is one of the more productive big man in the league. Last time I checked, talent is king. Always has been and always will be in this league.

Lastly, you don't expect Capela to play 48 minutes a night. If he is getting taken advantage off defensively, the coach will have an option of Bagley or Giles at the 5. Capela would be a 30 mpg player for us anyway which is what you want out of that position with Bagley and Giles on the team and needing development minutes and even in those minutes, you are still getting a double double from a player who is still 25 years old and yet to enter his prime.

IMHO, if the trade price is reasonable, this is a no brainer for the Kings. It is highly unlikely that Capela is not tradeable at any time during the next 4 years. Its not like you are dropping 4 year $112m deal on a 33 year old Horford or a 4 year, $140m deal on a 29 year old Vucevic where you are resigned to the fact that in year 3 or 4 (or even sooner) that contract becomes unmoveable without giving away assets to shed salary. Capela has 4 years and $74m remaining on the deal at an average of $18.5m. At no time does that contract become unmovable.
Capela is what he is. Do you honestly see that much more improvement from him? If you aren't talking about the Playoffs then what's the point? You have to speak your goals into action. The Kings priority is to make the Postseason this season and it's not too premature to talk about what would happen IF the Kings get there this season and how you would have to sit Capela during crucial times in the fourth quarter because he can't hang with that forward camping out on the perimeter.

Capela is what he is. Do you honestly see that much more improvement from him? If you aren't talking about the Playoffs then what's the point? You have to speak your goals into action. The Kings priority is to make the Postseason this season and it's not too premature to talk about what would happen IF the Kings get there this season and how you would have to sit Capela during crucial times in the fourth quarter because he can't hang with that forward camping out on the perimeter.
At 25 years old he is not what he is. There is improvement to come in his game. Vucevic had career best season at 29 years of age. Vlade played his best basetball in Sacramento as a 30+ year old. Am I expecting him to have a huge leap and all of a sudden become the best perimeter defender in the game for a big man? No but I sure as hell expect improvement from a 25 year old.

Buddy Hield made big improvements last season from 25 to 26 year old. I am not sure where this line of thinking comes from that players are finished products at 25 years of age. They are what they are right?!

Amick also said that having a discussion means nothing. Divac is probably talking to every team in the league.
And of course every team looking to dump salary is going to turn to Sac after the handfuls of empty they seem to always come up with in FA. If the Kings strike out immediately teams know they'll be one of the teams left with a bunch of space and limited options.

At 25 years old he is not what he is. There is improvement to come in his game. Vucevic had career best season at 29 years of age. Vlade played his best basetball in Sacramento as a 30+ year old. Am I expecting him to have a huge leap and all of a sudden become the best perimeter defender in the game for a big man? No but I sure as hell expect improvement from a 25 year old.

Buddy Hield made big improvements last season from 25 to 26 year old. I am not sure where this line of thinking comes from that players are finished products at 25 years of age. They are what they are right?!

A lot of that is because simple usage though. Buddy was already that Buddy, he just finally got a chance to show it. Same with Vucevic. Capela, unless he's been hiding some real interesting talents is likely close to what he is skill wise. Which he does have some skill for sure. Production wise in the right scenario he could jump but he already played for a coach custom built for his talents as a pick and roll big so I'm not sure I'd bet on that either. If the Kings were determined to play straight pick and roll like D'Antoni I'd say jump on it even without the spacing but I think the Kings would be looking at someone more like Vuc or Horford because of what they bring in terms of particular skills.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

all those players mentioned showed the ability to be capable of scoring and not just being one dimensional. I have yet to see that from Capela. I don't see him all of a sudden developing a mid range J or a sky hook.

Don’t waste your breath these are the same folks that probably think 29 is old and over the hill. Imagine a prime MJ or Lebron showing up at your door, 29 years old, and you’re like “nah too old”

Insane isn’t it?

What people simply don’t understand is we do not need Capela to be much more than what he already is nor do we need him to develop a sky hook as someone suggested. We need him to play defense, rebound and finish easy plays. That’s it. He’s already proved he can do that and do it well. He’s got heart and desire and is also quite young while being on a reasonable contract. He also fits our running style. I’d love to have him.

all those players mentioned showed the ability to be capable of scoring and not just being one dimensional. I have yet to see that from Capela. I don't see him all of a sudden developing a mid range J or a sky hook.
Please quote where exactly have I mentioned offensive improvement? I am referring to his improvement defensively. In fact we don't need him to develop offensively. He already does what we need him to do at a high level. I am not expecting him to start shooting 3s. He is a player that gets his points of pick and rolls, put backs and just generally cleaning up the junk which is what we expected WCS to do.

One problem we wouldn't have with Capela is him thinking he is what he is not offensively.

A lot of that is because simple usage though. Buddy was already that Buddy, he just finally got a chance to show it. Same with Vucevic. Capela, unless he's been hiding some real interesting talents is likely close to what he is skill wise. Which he does have some skill for sure. Production wise in the right scenario he could jump but he already played for a coach custom built for his talents as a pick and roll big so I'm not sure I'd bet on that either. If the Kings were determined to play straight pick and roll like D'Antoni I'd say jump on it even without the spacing but I think the Kings would be looking at someone more like Vuc or Horford because of what they bring in terms of particular skills.
Again, usage rate is one thing. Are you telling me that Buddy's defense, ball handling and just passing in general has not improved in the last season compared to what it was previously? C'mon now!