Clint Capela may be available

Kingster

Hall of Famer
No I get it, but what if fox and bags develop into good 3pt shooters?
I've thought the same thing. Fox and Bagley are probably going to become good to very good three point shooters in time. I think that's where a three year contract is better than five years for a big who may spread the floor now, but at the expense maybe of rebounding and interior defense. In three years I think we're going to know exactly how good Fox and Bagley are in their three point shooting and it will be easier to know who exactly complements their games going forward.

People are concentrating too much on the offense. Who cares if Capela's points all came off lobs? He's in the league because he plays great defense, rebounds, blocks shots, sets good screens and runs the pick and roll well. He's not in the NBA because of his ability to put the ball in the basket.

The Kings were slightly above average on offense and one of the worst defensive teams in the league. If no one on the team improves and the team adds Capela, the offense will basically hold pat but the defense will improve. The perimeter defense will get a little worse due to WCS being an elite perimeter defender but the interior defense will get better due to WCS being a poor interior defender. Capela is not nearly the perimeter defender Willie is but he's not a lumbering big man out there either. I saw him play some really good perimeter defense on Durant last year. His interior defense is superior without question.

I think the Kings need to add an interior defender, another 3&D wing and a back up PG who can run the offense adequately. The drop off from Fox to Bogie as a full time ball handler is obvious. Bogie is a secondary ball handler and Ferrell is more of a secondary handler himself. Get yourself another ball handler and that interior defender instantly becomes a better offensive player.

Who cares if WCS technically is the better offensive player. Him doing anything other than a dunk or a putback (AKA the only things Capela does) is a wasted possession. WCS is one of the worst in the league at layups and jumpers.
I agree that Willie's jumpers belong in the G-League. But where are you getting that Willie's the "worst in the league at layups" from? I don't see his layups as the issue - with the exception that when he gets bumped, his shot almost never goes in. (Contact seems to freak him out.)
That said, there is much to be disappointed in with Willie's game, and he is probably not as bad as many of us make him out to be. But I lost confidence in his potential last year and am all done with him now. I hope he finds success, but not in Sacramento.

I agree that Willie's jumpers belong in the G-League. But where are you getting that Willie's the "worst in the league at layups" from? I don't see his layups as the issue - with the exception that when he gets bumped, his shot almost never goes in. (Contact seems to freak him out.)
That said, there is much to be disappointed in with Willie's game, and he is probably not as bad as many of us make him out to be. But I lost confidence in his potential last year and am all done with him now. I hope he finds success, but not in Sacramento.
According to this graph.

So great ! Clint is available? I would love him on his 90 Mil contract (74m over next 4 yrs) than a Max Contract 140M over 4 yrs for Vucevic

So Clint would get his dunks from Fox and Bogie instead of from Harden and Paul
But the added defense and rebounds is what I would hope for

I just dont see how you can get him here. There are suggestions here that we Trade WCS and 2nd rd picks for him? Really?

Can we even trade Willie? I thought that was over at trade deadline
Without a RFA offer willie is a free agent, even with RFA offer unless we match an offer there is no contract to trade

I guess if Willie agreed to a contract with kings before RFA that Rockets would trade for?
But why for Rockets - they could either sign Willie as a FA or RFA offer sheet and trade Clint for
some other Player/Pick Asset

I just dont see it from the rockets point-of-view

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think WCS led the league in having his shots blocked.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...I guess if Willie agreed to a contract with kings before RFA that Rockets would trade for?
But why for Rockets - they could either sign Willie as a FA or RFA offer sheet and trade Clint for

Unfortunately, that might be the sticking point on any potential trade involving WCS...

So great ! Clint is available? I would love him on his 90 Mil contract (74m over next 4 yrs) than a Max Contract 140M over 4 yrs for Vucevic

So Clint would get his dunks from Fox and Bogie instead of from Harden and Paul
But the added defense and rebounds is what I would hope for

I just dont see how you can get him here. There are suggestions here that we Trade WCS and 2nd rd picks for him? Really?

Can we even trade Willie? I thought that was over at trade deadline
Without a RFA offer willie is a free agent, even with RFA offer unless we match an offer there is no contract to trade

I guess if Willie agreed to a contract with kings before RFA that Rockets would trade for?

Houston has no cap space available to sign any FAs unless it is for the minimum or an exception. According to Hoophype, the already have a payroll of $125 million next season.

It’s a shame if vlade truly tried to move WCS and received nothing worth talking about. But then again why move him just to move him?

Let him hit the free agent market and shop the league as there is no shortage of centers out there. If WCS thinks he can get the 15 or 18 million there are better choices even if you have to kick in more and get a center that moves the needle.

I wouldn’t even make him a qualifying offer.

I think WCS led the league in having his shots blocked.
The most blocked player is Kemba Walker 126 blocks against. Atentokounmpo is 4th with 100 blocks against. Bigs like Randle, Drummond, KAT and Embiid are ahead of WCS who is 20th most blocked player with 74 blocks against. He is followed with Montrezl Harell with 73 blocks against. Capela is 40th most blocked player with 62 blocks against. Most blocked King is Fox with 80. This is according to www.nbaminer.com

The most blocked player is Kemba Walker 126 blocks against. Atentokounmpo is 4th with 100 blocks against. Bigs like Randle, Drummond, KAT and Embiid are ahead of WCS who is 20th most blocked player with 74 blocks against. He is followed with Montrezl Harell with 73 blocks against. Capela is 40th most blocked player with 62 blocks against. Most blocked King is Fox with 80. This is according to www.nbaminer.com
But half of those blocks on fox should have been fouls. :p

Thanks for posting this, but it would help if they provided some sort of trade scenario that makes it worth it for Houston.
They mention we have enough salary cap to absorb (sounds good) it seemed like they mean to include us taking on other players. They also throw out the idea of a future first (oh h3ll no).

WCS made 55.6% of his shots last season. Interestingly enough both Capela and WCS missed about half of their layups.
If you're beating the FG% drum, Capela's at 64%.

Of Capela's shots, 41% were layups, 34% were dunks, and 16% were jump shots. Surprisingly, he shot 41% on jump shots compared to WCS' 35%.
WCS' shots were 37% layups and 32% jump shots, of which he makes 49% and 35% of respectively. That's way too many of those if he's going to hit those percentages of. They're both really poor. That means that a whopping 60% of the time if WCS is taking a shot, it's a bad possession. . You can say that Capela and WCS both miss around half their layups, but it's 54% to 49% and that's a significant difference any way you wanna slice it.

As for the blocks, that's an extraordinary amount of times blocked for a guy with pedestrian usage. Most of those other guys carry huge offensive loads for their teams. I wish there was a stat that tracked % of FGs blocked. A cursory glance indicates that WCS gets his shot blocked ~10% of the time.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-nba-teams-top-target-in-each-category#slide0
This writer gives a scenario for all teams. It includes Capela to the Kings. I sort of like his idea of Brogdan to the Kings.
Brogdon is an interesting idea, but not for what they're imagining. He's a clear upgrade over Bogdanovic and I can get the thought process for flipping Bogdan for Capela.

It's just they're mentioning Brogdon for the max (gross) and the package to the Rockets is Bogdanovic, Giles plus extra (yeah, no.)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think that WCS had the most NET blocked against him for a center. In other words, he had more of his shots blocked than he did block the opposition. That's a horrible stat for a center, imo.

If you're beating the FG% drum, Capela's at 64%.

Of Capela's shots, 41% were layups, 34% were dunks, and 16% were jump shots. Surprisingly, he shot 41% on jump shots compared to WCS' 35%.
WCS' shots were 37% layups and 32% jump shots, of which he makes 49% and 35% of respectively. That's way too many of those if he's going to hit those percentages of. They're both really poor. That means that a whopping 60% of the time if WCS is taking a shot, it's a bad possession. . You can say that Capela and WCS both miss around half their layups, but it's 54% to 49% and that's a significant difference any way you wanna slice it.

As for the blocks, that's an extraordinary amount of times blocked for a guy with pedestrian usage. Most of those other guys carry huge offensive loads for their teams. I wish there was a stat that tracked % of FGs blocked. A cursory glance indicates that WCS gets his shot blocked ~10% of the time.
Just a correction there, Capela shot 28% on jump shots according to basketball reference. And doing a similar calculation on Capella also makes a large amount of shots he takes a bad possession.

I think that WCS had the most NET blocked against him for a center. In other words, he had more of his shots blocked than he did block the opposition. That's a horrible stat for a center, imo.
Maybe that's the case but finding out is more involved. WCS needs to develop a nice half hook and use it instead of the "guard like" drive. That would do wonders for his game I think.

The article on StR makes some sense. Over paying for a center is kind of like over paying for a running back in the NFL.
Interesting comparison. Link?

Would have to think on this more, but basically you'd be saying guys like Javale, Richaun Holmes, Nerlens Noel, Noah Vonleh this season were more valuable than guys like Capela/Adams/Gasol/Drummond relative to the cost of their contracts.