[Game] Celtics @ Kings

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You need to elaborate. Saying an announcer is awful doesn't cut it unless you can back it up...........
I've heard plenty of announcers. Most of them are boring and don't seem to have a passion for the game. At least with grant he brings excitement and passion......
It has been my (completely anecdotal, I will grant you) experience that fans' opinion of the play-by-play man tends to be directly proportional to that given fan's opinion of the team the play-by-play man represents. Someone who likes, say, the Kings, will overlook, and even laud, behavior from their broadcast team that makes them want to throw things at their television when they hear broadcasters from rival teams act the exact same way.

As to the question of Napear, he is awful because he is overly opinionated (that's the color man's job, not the play-by-play man), and obnoxious. He is also disingenuous, trends towards hypocrisy, and is too much a company shill for my tastes. He praises who he's told, and he slams who he's told (e.g., his gag order about the coach), and only who he's told, and I can do without his particular brand of brow beating/proselytizing.

I generally consider "passion" to be overrated on the part of the play-by-play man and, to the extent that I do want to see it, I prefer it to be of the reasonably neutral Kevin Harlan/Mike Bennett/Matt Devlin variety, as opposed to Napear's "company stooge" variety.

That elaborate enough for you?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Hes very well respected amung his peers. They say hes one of the best in the business.
I'm sure that other coaches say something similar about Keith Smart, too.

Other announcers saying that Napear is respected/one of the best in the business only means that he doesn't rub them the wrong way. But they only represent some ninety, out of a few million hoops fans. AND, they don't have to actually listen to him.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Seeing the Celtics throw in the towel with almost 6 minutes left in the game truly warms my heart. Tonight is a good night to be a Kings fan, Napear and Walton notwithstanding.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

Is unfortunate for a lot of reasons that we couldn't get a win like this with Reke on the floor.
we did the same thing to the mavs with tyreke leading the way, lets face it those two wins were catching old tired teams on off nights. i want to see this team do this to a young team. i mean this is a good win, but after the games against the hawks, warriors and pistons, its hard to get excited about this win.

Offensively, there's been a lot more room in the post for Cousins to work. The court has been balanced well enough that either DMC or JT can make the cross court pass to open threes. They actually played inside-out this game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
we did the same thing to the mavs with tyreke leading the way, lets face it those two wins were catching old tired teams on off nights. i want to see this team do this to a young team. i mean this is a good win, but after the games against the hawks, warriors and pistons, its hard to get excited about this win.
Gotta disagree. I guess I'm just the stereotypical homer. ANY win against a team with Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo is exciting.

GO KINGS!!

its been a long long time since we put a clinic on someone decent and ran them out of our building. The only downside is walton and rubbish commentary

I loved what Honeycutt showed tonight. He played under control, and showed a few glimpses of how good of an all-around player he can be.

Hopefully, starts getting around 10 minutes a night

Gotta disagree. I guess I'm just the stereotypical homer. ANY win against a team with Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo is exciting.

GO KINGS!!
I fully agree with this and I can assure you I'm no "homer." I mean, hell, the Kings always have trouble beating the teams they are supposed to beat. Why not get a little joy out of smacking a team that should be getting the better of us - especially when that team has KG.

I disagree. I'm very excited for this win. I see where you're going. My point was that Reke-haters will basically paint this one as "We won like this because Reke wasn't playing."

I'm sure that other coaches say something similar about Keith Smart, too.

Other announcers saying that Napear is respected/one of the best in the business only means that he doesn't rub them the wrong way. But they only represent some ninety, out of a few million hoops fans. AND, they don't have to actually listen to him.

Since when does somebody rubbing someone else the wrong way make them bad in what they do? Your not a fan. And you have every right to your opinion.

Every week I hear gushing from opponnent/national announcers talking about how good they are nd most say they will be in Springfield.