Carmelo Anthony

Would you trade for Melo to get a first and second round pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's what I would do at this point.

In a year where the FAs are rapidly drying up, this would be the time to do it. Melo would have to be off the team, however, so waive/buyout whatever the terminology is needs to be done.

Zbo for Melo, Turd Ferguson, and/or OKC '22 pick. The pick's a long way away but it's the earliest they can trade it. OKC will almost assuredly be a lotto team by that point, keeps assets in the pipeline.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
They(OKC) have future pics. Also what’s the downside of getting picks in the future for basically nothing ?
It's about opportunity cost. If Vlade finds himself sitting on 20 or so in cap space with no decect trade options that bring back a guy or guys we could actually use... Sure why not trade it all for a guy we cut and Schrodinger's player in 2022... But I suspect a patient man with a boatload of cash could find a better place to invest it.

I still just don't see how OKC can put it up bread on this s*** sandwich to make it with eating. They don't have the picks to trade.
I think the only way it works and is totally worth it, is if we get multiple picks or potentially an unprotected pick several years out in the future. Unfortunately, if this goes down, I envision being underwhelmed (late teens, early 20's first round pick and a second)

It's about opportunity cost. If Vlade finds himself sitting on 20 or so in cap space with no decect trade options that bring back a guy or guys we could actually use... Sure why not trade it all for a guy we cut and Schrodinger's player in 2022... But I suspect a patient man with a boatload of cash could find a better place to invest it.
Again where do you see there is a better place to invest?

Last edited:
Again where do you see there is a better place to invest?
I don't have a crystal ball, but that is the point it is only mid-July, any number if scenarios could play out. Just off the top of my head I would not be surprised at all to see Popovich work a trade with Philly sending Kawhi Leonard to the Sixers. But that trade doesn't work out on paper without some help so the Kings can easily be involves taking Covington off of Phillies hands and perhaps absorbing some other payroll in consideration for picks in the process.

I don't have a crystal ball, but that is the point it is only mid-July, any number if scenarios could play out. Just off the top of my head I would not be surprised at all to see Popovich work a trade with Philly sending Kawhi Leonard to the Sixers. But that trade doesn't work out on paper without some help so the Kings can easily be involves taking Covington off of Phillies hands and perhaps absorbing some other payroll in consideration for picks in the process.
Why wouldn't the Spurs just trade directly with Philly? That doesn't make sense. So you wait for a hypothetical trade that might not happen? You do realize we still need to reach the cap floor. We can't wait forever for something that might not happen. So you would turn down a trade with OKC because we might better opportunity in future? If every GM had that mentality no trades would ever happen

EDIT: looks like Kawhi is going to be a Raptor

Last edited:
Why wouldn't the Spurs just trade directly with Philly? That doesn't make sense. So you wait for a hypothetical trade that might not happen? You do realize we still need to reach the cap floor. We can't wait forever for something that might not happen. So you would turn down a trade with OKC because we might better opportunity in future? If every GM had that mentality no trades would ever happen

EDIT: looks like Kawhi is going to be a Raptor
we do not have to hit the cap floor. The only thing that happens if we don't is we split up the difference between our players and give the kids a bonus. Again you seem way overly focused on me providing a better Theory then taking on a massive salary dump for a draft pick years out, I just don't think that that's the best use of the funds at this moment. There is no team in the NBA that can take on Carmelo salary except the Kings so what's your hurry? There is no harm in taking time to see if something better works out.

what are we really doing? I mean to get a first rounder just to say we have one? top 20 protected? no thanks no stupid contract is worth a pick past 16 to me.
I strongly disagree. Every extra 1st round pick is very valuable for us. Also with Melo we are talking about an expiring contract. To me one year of bad salary is absolutely worth Thunders pick in 2021 when its even hard to say how good they are.

Picks past 16 hold a lot of value. First of all as its been said multiple times here, draft is the easiest way for Kings to get quality and affordable talent. When you draft a player, he is very cheap for four years and after that you have restricted rights for him. So if the pick pans out, you get a quality player underpaid for 4 years and then 3-4 years at market value. These kinds of things are absolutely crucial in salary cap sport. Its quite unlikely for Kings to get quality production even at market value in free agency so its very important that we have drafted players that will give us cheap production.

Picks past 16 have had a lot of quality players. The odds of finding a franchise player there are small but you can get role players and quality starters. For example Harry Giles was pick 20. If you look at these past drafts all of them have quality rotation players or starters picked from 16-30.

Also future 1st round picks are assets and in fact very valuable assets. You can use an asset like that to move up in the draft, move down to cumulate more assets or even as a trade piece. In this scenario the opportunity cost is so small that its pretty much a no brainer that we should take a deal like that. There is no realistic rfa targets to use the money for (where we would get production at good value while the contract being an asset itself) and I dont see a lot of value in the ufa class anymore. We are not competing for a playoff spot next season. Imo signing a couple of vets to get the win total from 32 to 36 is definetly not worth passing on an asset like okc 2021 1st.

what are we really doing? I mean to get a first rounder just to say we have one? top 20 protected? no thanks no stupid contract is worth a pick past 16 to me.
You have iy backwards. Pick is protected if it falls 20 or above guaranteeing us a pick better than 20. Or whichever number vlade and co can haggle out. 16 would of course be wven better.
What are we doing? Of course we not getting a 1st to say we have one, how bizzar. We get a pick to draft another talented young guy to develop on a cheap rookie contract in the future. That pick is also a valuable asset if we want to trade it.

So OKC gets Schroeder15M and Mile Miscala5m for melo 28mil

I guess thats all of Atlanta remaining cap

Maybe a smaller Waive/Stretch for the other two players?

I wonder what Atlanta gets for their 8 mil cap?

Sounds like a Schroder for Anthony deal is going to go down
I think the ideal for OKC on an Anthony deal is to shed as much salary as possible. I'm not sure OKC would want Schroeder at 15.5 mil and Mike Musula (Which would be like 50+ mil with Luxury Tax implications) to be their back up point guard.

If a deal does go down, maybe the Kings can take Schroeder in the salary dump on a some type of 3 way deal and get a pick.

Edit: Looks like Atlanta is trying to dump Schroeder for nothing, because of a pending possible felony charge for a bar fight in September 2017. Atlanta is just trying to get rid of Schroeder at any costs now.

Last edited:
I am, in a way, greatly relieved.
Yes and No, because the salary dump options and getting back a 1st round pick are dwindling.

I would take a mid-late 1st rounder for our salary cap space. Not many more teams left that look to be dumping salary, especially teams far enough over the luxury cap to justify giving up a 1st rounder to take a salary dump.

Well, they say good thing come to those who wait. Let's hope something materializes soon. :oops:

I think the ideal for OKC on an Anthony deal is to shed as much salary as possible. I'm not sure OKC would want Schroeder at 15.5 mil and Mike Musula (Which would be like 50+ mil with Luxury Tax implications) to be their back up point guard.

If a deal does go down, maybe the Kings can take Schroeder in the salary dump on a some type of 3 way deal and get a pick.

Edit: Looks like Atlanta is trying to dump Schroeder for nothing, because of a pending possible felony charge for a bar fight in September 2017. Atlanta is just trying to get rid of Schroeder at any costs now.
I'll still take him. He's not been proven guilty yet, this is America people isn't it? good player tho and there's upside still.

Schroder to back up Russ is going to pay dividends for OKC, good job getting rid of the black hole
If u swap Schroder for Melo for them in the playoffs no way they lose to Utah.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
Oklahoma City has agreed to trade Carmelo Anthony and a protected 2022 first-round pick to Atlanta for point guard Dennis Schroder and Mike Muscala, league sources tell ESPN. Anthony will be waived, and he will join team of his choice. Rockets are frontrunner.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
Tremendous save for OKC: Thunder get massive salary and luxury tax savings -- nearly $100M -- w/o stretching Anthony's $28M. That deal would've left $9M-plus on books next three years, so Schroder $15.5M per year becomes bargain -- and an asset that could stay or be traded again.

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania
Sources: As part of multi-team Carmelo Anthony/Dennis Schröder deal, Atlanta's Mike Muscala will go to Philadelphia, 76ers' Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot will be traded to Oklahoma City and 76ers' Justin Anderson to Atlanta.

Even with no GM the 6ers still get in on the deal. *sigh